Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I liked this kid in Insidious and Iron Man 3.

Then he did Jurassic World and...oof, that was rough, my man.

Jurassic World itself was "oof kind of rough." The main thing I recall was the weirdly sadistic death it inflicted on the assistant woman who lost track of the two kids because they snuck away from her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Having him being the kid tech genius in Jimmy Woo’s not X-files with Darcy as the astro science gal would work actually.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

Parkingtigers posted:

Having him being the kid tech genius in Jimmy Woo’s not X-files with Darcy as the astro science gal would work actually.

This please! It'll be the Agents of Shield I always wanted.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Parkingtigers posted:

drat you for teasing me with something I'm almost certainly never going to get.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Everyone posted:

Jurassic World itself was "oof kind of rough." The main thing I recall was the weirdly sadistic death it inflicted on the assistant woman who lost track of the two kids because they snuck away from her.

Man that really stuck with me. She got a three part graphic eaten-by-a-dinosaur death for the minor crime of being overworked and momentarily distracted. Lingered on it like it was meant to be schadenfreude but it made me really uncomfortable

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I want a What If where Jimmy Woo's desire for learning magic leads him to become the next Sorcerer Supreme.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

BurritoJustice posted:

Man that really stuck with me. She got a three part graphic eaten-by-a-dinosaur death for the minor crime of being overworked and momentarily distracted. Lingered on it like it was meant to be schadenfreude but it made me really uncomfortable

As I understand it there were supposed to be more scenes of her either being mean to the kids or just abandoning them or something and that death was the "payback" for that. As was it just felt like the movie was punching (chomping?) down against her.

Zil posted:

I want a What If where Jimmy Woo's desire for learning magic leads him to become the next Sorcerer Supreme.

And yet again something I'd love to see that will almost certainly never be a thing.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Zil posted:

Everyone posted:

drat you for teasing me with something I'm almost certainly never going to get.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Everyone posted:

As I understand it there were supposed to be more scenes of her either being mean to the kids or just abandoning them or something and that death was the "payback" for that. As was it just felt like the movie was punching (chomping?) down against her.

And yet again something I'd love to see that will almost certainly never be a thing.

Instead they spent time on the parent's divorce subplot that went nowhere and had no purpose.

Also finally got to watch the What If episodes, drat these would make great movies, too bad we're only getting these little snapshots of what could be.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

As Nero Danced posted:

Instead they spent time on the parent's divorce subplot that went nowhere and had no purpose.

Also finally got to watch the What If episodes, drat these would make great movies, too bad we're only getting these little snapshots of what could be.

I barely recall the divorce bit but did it really take up that much time? Maybe the kids talked about it? Still, even if the assistant had been a little meaner to the kids out "Of course I'll be happy to babysit your nephews in addition to the 15,000 other things you want me to do, oh Grand and Glorious Corporate Bitch-Goddess" I don't think she'd merit a three-part dino-death.

And little snapshots of what could have been is the entire point of "What If?" I just want it to get even crazier.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 22, 2021

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Some new scenes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtdmIFL2zMY

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Just a heads up, there's a potato cam Spider-Man No Way Home trailer with pre-viz CGI floating around out there, should you want to watch/avoid it. It's literally a phone recording of a phone recording of mostly unfinished effects, but in this age of 4k trailers and stuff this was a charmingly retro way to get a first glimpse of some new Spidey dialogue and plot points.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I'm enjoying the show but my god those are some excessive statements.

A triumph of television writing? Performances that rank up with the MCUs best?

Not even close to being true

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I want Thanos to come back and just kind of chill in the background like he does sometimes in the comics. Would love to see the Annihilation story be a big movie thing, complete with Drax finally killing him right as he's about to save everyone.

I desperately want that panel from Infinity War (or maybe it was Crusade?) where Galactus is piloting his ship crammed with superheroes away from some giant bomb or something, and Thanos is hanging out constantly pestering him and pissing him off with his back-seat driving :allears:

"THEN LET SILENCE REIGN!" :mad:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

BurritoJustice posted:

That was the moment in the movie I went "gently caress this poo poo". I did have a big laugh where out of nowwhere the kid gets sad and starts talking about their parents getting a divorce and it doesn't lead to anything. Jurassic World was a very bad movie.

Hawke playing a Cult Leader makes me wonder if Moon Knight ever fought a cult of Set, Kek or Apep. Go really heavy on the Egyptian stuff.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Parkingtigers posted:

Just a heads up, there's a potato cam Spider-Man No Way Home trailer with pre-viz CGI floating around out there, should you want to watch/avoid it. It's literally a phone recording of a phone recording of mostly unfinished effects, but in this age of 4k trailers and stuff this was a charmingly retro way to get a first glimpse of some new Spidey dialogue and plot points.
Yeah it seems to be legit too. Heads are gonna roll. Be aware of spoilers and discussion out there as it seems to line up a lot with the rumor mill.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah it seems to be legit too. Heads are gonna roll. Be aware of spoilers and discussion out there as it seems to line up a lot with the rumor mill.
No spoilers, but watching it on a recording of a recording of (another recording of?) a phone screen was a trip.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I heard from a reliable source the trailer was going to drop either tomorrow or Tuesday so nothing too terrible of a wait if you don't want to see it on a phone screen.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Anita Dickinme posted:

I heard from a reliable source the trailer was going to drop either tomorrow or Tuesday so nothing too terrible of a wait if you don't want to see it on a phone screen.

If they have a version ready to go then yeah that's the smart play, but this version had some extremely unfinished VFX so who knows

JazzFlight posted:

No spoilers, but watching it on a recording of a recording of (another recording of?) a phone screen was a trip.

Got flashbacks to downloading shady .mp4s to run on Quicktime in the early 00s

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

remembering when a shakycam of iron man doing the snap was the most popular gif everywhere lol

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

The Saddest Rhino posted:

remembering when a shakycam of iron man doing the snap was the most popular gif everywhere lol

Once I heard the ending had leaked, I spent the next days completely offline. I don’t mind a few minor spoilers as an appetiser, but the ending of 10 years of mostly really good films that I adored? That had to be seen the right way. The temptation to look was so great, but I’m so VERY glad I didn’t in that case.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

The potatocam footage was leaked, it's the only explanation

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Parkingtigers posted:

Once I heard the ending had leaked, I spent the next days completely offline. I don’t mind a few minor spoilers as an appetiser, but the ending of 10 years of mostly really good films that I adored? That had to be seen the right way. The temptation to look was so great, but I’m so VERY glad I didn’t in that case.

Same. I immediately sat my phone down and didnt pick it up until i came home from the theatre days later.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

This is probably a dumb gripe but it always annoyed me that it turned out that Thanos literally had to snap his fingers to blink out half of all life.

Snapping your fingers and something gets done is a figurative phrase that means you have a shitload of power. Then they took that phrase and made the infinity gauntlet into a gun with a weird trigger.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

AFewBricksShy posted:

This is probably a dumb gripe but it always annoyed me that it turned out that Thanos literally had to snap his fingers to blink out half of all life.

Snapping your fingers and something gets done is a figurative phrase that means you have a shitload of power. Then they took that phrase and made the infinity gauntlet into a gun with a weird trigger.

Bothered me as well. One of the most blatant “because that’s the way it happened in the comic” moments of the MCU.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I don't mind Thanos snapping the fingers. Dude could do whatever he wanted and it fits as well as any other gesture

But then Tony does it too. And the Hulk. That was dum

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Why wasn't Thanos horny for Lady Death?

Where's my giant GOD made out of stone?

Mephisto :argh:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

AFewBricksShy posted:

Infinity war showed that he had to physically manipulate the gauntlet to use the gems, I don't think using a snap to activate all of them was too much of a stretch. Makes for a far more interesting visual than him just closing his fist again.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Infinitum posted:

Why wasn't Thanos horny for Lady Death?

Where's my giant GOD made out of stone?

Mephisto :argh:

i KNEW it

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I think the writers or directors said that having Thanos perform a gesture was good visually and gave the characters a specific thing to focus on in fights. Starlin said something similar.

Zzulu posted:

I don't mind Thanos snapping the fingers. Dude could do whatever he wanted and it fits as well as any other gesture

But then Tony does it too. And the Hulk. That was dum

Tony didn't know much about the stones and even if he did he'd still have done it to get one over Thanos.

MisterDuck
Feb 27, 2013
Thanos snaps because he’s a big dramatic ham. Hulk does it because they only have one shot and don’t know exactly how the stones work and doesn’t want to leave anything to chance so he keeps it as close to what thanos did as he can. Stark snaps because he’s a big dramatic ham.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The gauntlets were also built by Tony for Tony and The Hulk, so whatever activation mechanism to use all stones at once would presumably have been programmed to a snap because Tony is a big ham

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Hamvengers

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Didn’t I read somewhere that Thanos had the somatic component of the snap built into the Gauntlet so that he didn’t do it accidentally? Am
I making that up?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I think the writers or directors said that having Thanos perform a gesture was good visually and gave the characters a specific thing to focus on in fights. Starlin said something similar.

It's not just a good visual, it was really neat writing how they have Banner say 'he could kill everyone with a snap of his fingers' to establish the threat but while it's obviously a figure of speech in that conversation, planting that image in the audience's mind pays off massively when he does snap his fingers at the end and you understand immediately what's happened.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

MisterDuck posted:

Thanos snaps because he’s a big dramatic ham. Hulk does it because they only have one shot and don’t know exactly how the stones work and doesn’t want to leave anything to chance so he keeps it as close to what thanos did as he can. Stark snaps because he’s a big dramatic ham.

https://i.gifer.com/9EZT.mp4

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Marsupial Ape posted:

Didn’t I read somewhere that Thanos had the somatic component of the snap built into the Gauntlet so that he didn’t do it accidentally? Am
I making that up?

That was in some interviews that came out around the same time, it was a combination of needing some way to dramatically be able to stop him and something psychological for Thanos.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Shang Chi reviews are apparently out if that's a thing you look at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

mutata posted:

Shang Chi reviews are apparently out if that's a thing you look at.

i read this and somehow just assumed it said “Shang Chi reviews are out and apparently it’s a thing you look at”