Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Thoguh posted:

Iowa State Fair ends today which means that most schools start tomorrow and the Iowa department of health is instructing school districts to treat COVID like a common and unremarkable illness and not do things like quarantines or contact tracing. Schools can go harder against head lice.

this is insane right

my brain is so broken that I don't even know anymore but, like, this is totally insane right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Fix posted:

Today I learned that "happy hypoxia" where you feel fine as your O2 sat numbers are plummeting is a thing. Brother in law had a guy walk into his ER under his own power with his sats in the 20s.

That's like someone breathing at the peak of Mount Everest, gently caress.

I was in an MTU with 500 mL of lung capacity and felt horribly short of breath but still had 99% O2 sats, what's up with that?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I don’t know how much people are willing to pay for oxygen when they could just have the Hallmark channel

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Paradoxish posted:

this is insane right

my brain is so broken that I don't even know anymore but, like, this is totally insane right

Alberta is planning to do it too. It's horrific and unconscionable, yes. A series of protests got the move pushed back six weeks, but we'll have to fight back against it again.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fix posted:

Today I learned that "happy hypoxia" where you feel fine as your O2 sat numbers are plummeting is a thing. Brother in law had a guy walk into his ER under his own power with his sats in the 20s.

I remember watching "Into Thin Air" on HBO about Jon Krakauer's account of eight mountaineers dying on Everest and I'm pretty sure you're describing a similar thing that happens to them

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Fix posted:

wow the Covid and Everest threads are intersecting

Chamale posted:

That's like someone breathing at the peak of Mount Everest, gently caress.

I was in an MTU with 500 mL of lung capacity and felt horribly short of breath but still had 99% O2 sats, what's up with that?

gradenko_2000 posted:

I remember watching "Into Thin Air" on HBO about Jon Krakauer's account of eight mountaineers dying on Everest and I'm pretty sure you're describing a similar thing that happens to them

c'mon!

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Fix posted:

:stare:

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
my dad still insists he had covid in 2018

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Fix posted:

did you never hear about teenagers choking themselves to get high

or people who like getting choked during sex

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

yeah if you watch some of the footage of altitude testing on air force pilots they eventually get to a point where they just get all giggly and friendly

probably not the worst way to go, all things considered

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

Sometimes, time beats you.

Paradoxish posted:

this is insane right

The government is treating Covid-19 like how they treat unemployment and homelessness.

gotta supress it and ignore it.

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002
One day we will hear legend of a corpse wearing green boots, found nestled beneath a row of plastic chairs in an ER waiting room

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

perepelki posted:

I had covid in 2009.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

perepelki posted:

my uncle works at fort dietrich and he says that he got covid way before everyone else

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Bodies do weird poo poo. Back in the EMS days I had a woman with a BP that was so high that she didn't have a detectable pulse at her wrist. Lady was a Brazilian decathlete and kept walking around and talking when she should have passed the gently caress out.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

We did before delta. Delta doesn't work the same. NZ is now finding this out as well (35 cases with a population smaller than Melbourne).

perth had a delta outbreak in late june this year that we managed to keep at 3 cases. not sure if we just got loving lucky or what: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-29/perth-and-peel-awake-in-lockdown-after-third-covid-19-case/100251268

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Paradoxish posted:

this is insane right

our school district is doing the most they legally can by rolling with "wearing a mask is caring for others" as part of every announcement and a mantra from every teacher and principal repeated throughout the day and embedded into every elementary school classroom contract they collectively write at the beginning of the year

its a blatant attempt to convince children they are bad and should feel bad for not wearing a mask

and honestly I'm like gently caress it yeah sure go for it

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Pretty loving wild that I have the same sore throat as I did 3 weeks ago, after it going away (after getting way worse).

I hope its not possible for me to get my housemate sick, then for her to get me sick right after I get better (*assuming I actually got better).

I hope its just my vape irritating my throat (like I'd hoped last time).

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Genuinely surprised the Everest thread didn’t interest with t is one sooner. Too much to handle rn. No mask requirement in schools here. I’m sure it will be fine lol

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

this is a good book, as well.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

I feel I should point out that this is Baghdad Bob level bullshit.

"The System is under strain!!"
\

No, the medical system has collapsed. Fully utterly and completely collapsed.

1. I was supposed to have a routine health check, today. I was called by my hospital and was told that it's cancelled. No further explanation.
2. A friend of coworker apparently had a stroke, the ambulance took 45min to arrive in Tokyo. They took another 3h to find a free hospital that would take him. He's currently in a vegetative state and I assume he's gone.
3. in Tokyo ALONE there are 30,000 people "recuperating" at home. Some of these are actually on oxygen machines ... in their home. With their families, or alone.
4. In Japan it is estimated to be another 100,000 waiting for hospital beds....

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
after looking into alternatives for school i am trying to convince my partner to do online private school for my elementary school child. cheapest accepted by the state is $2000/yr lol

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
Considering the above, I have a question for respirator crew:

I have a compromised lung, and I've seen studies.
Let's just say there's a very high likelihood that I will not see 2022 should I catch it.
Because of the way Vaccinations are organized here I'm on a wait-list and not likely to get my 2nd shot before September. 3rd shot is basically impossible to get.
Yay Japan!

Sadly this compromised lung also means that even a normal mask is already pretty lovely to wear in Summer.
Are respirators easier to breathe in than a surgical mask or N95 with no valve?

Also I've looked around for respirators here in Japan, but they do not appear to sell the goon recommended ones here.
loving bummer.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
holy poo poo VomitOnLino. good luck, goon

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
well that sucks

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

VomitOnLino posted:

Considering the above, I have a question for respirator crew:

I have a compromised lung, and I've seen studies.
Let's just say there's a very high likelihood that I will not see 2022 should I catch it.
Because of the way Vaccinations are organized here I'm on a wait-list and not likely to get my 2nd shot before September. 3rd shot is basically impossible to get.
Yay Japan!

Sadly this compromised lung also means that even a normal mask is already pretty lovely to wear in Summer.
Are respirators easier to breathe in than a surgical mask or N95 with no valve?

Also I've looked around for respirators here in Japan, but they do not appear to sell the goon recommended ones here.
loving bummer.

vs a surgical mask, probably not easier to breath "through", mostly because they don't give you a decent seal, and you aren't actually getting much/any inhaled air filtered through the fabric.

a respirator is almost certainly easier to breath in vs a fitted n95, and in my opinion is more comfortable. They are objectively far better at protecting you from covid (especially considering the quality difference in the seal it provides). For someone in a serious pre-existing condition, I'd say your best/first line of defense is avoiding covid/people/risks as much as possible. That only goes so far, so I'd say the next best step is a quality mask.

If you'd like, DM me and I can order/international ship you a respirator if you're unable to find one elsewhere and want one.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1429640312004268032

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

crepeface posted:

perth had a delta outbreak in late june this year that we managed to keep at 3 cases. not sure if we just got loving lucky or what: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-29/perth-and-peel-awake-in-lockdown-after-third-covid-19-case/100251268

Yeah it seems like as long as it doesn't get past like 30 cases it can be beaten with the old techniques. This was delta round 2 for Melbourne, we got to zero for one whole day before Sydney exported it again.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
lol locked the comments on the obit

https://twitter.com/997wtn/status/1429190686222557184?s=19

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/rapplerdotcom/status/1429647653478883328?s=19

More like John... Wrong

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Shear Modulus posted:

my uncle works at fort dietrich and he says that he got covid way before everyone else

Why are these US bioweapon labs still around anyway? The idea of weaponizing viruses against foreign boogeymen with zero domestic blowback is a stupid one even before covid happened.

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

a helpful bear posted:

holy poo poo VomitOnLino. good luck, goon

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

a helpful bear posted:

Jesus. Hope it comes back negative

It did. He's just caught the normal kid crud.

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

That's god drat terrifying

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Vishass posted:

It did. He's just caught the normal kid crud.

congrats on the normal sick kid!

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

AppleNippleBOB posted:

this is a good book, as well.

Agreed, but with the caveat that JK wasn’t really qualified to render an opinion on a lot of what happened. Specifically his analysis of Boukreev‘s actions is not worth reading. He did a decent job of dramatizing a tragic event, but it would be foolish to read his account and take it as anything more than a dramatization written by an inexperienced participant.

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Loucks posted:

Agreed, but with the caveat that JK wasn’t really qualified to render an opinion on a lot of what happened. Specifically his analysis of Boukreev‘s actions is not worth reading. He did a decent job of dramatizing a tragic event, but it would be foolish to read his account and take it as anything more than a dramatization written by an inexperienced participant.

even moreso the case w Into the Wild (also a good 'un)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

from his wiki:

quote:

On December 17, 2020, Valentine blogged that he believed his own chance of dying from COVID-19 was "probably way less than one percent."[28] On July 11, 2021, Valentine acknowledged he had COVID-19 and bragged that it would not be a problem, admitting he might take a day off from his radio show merely as a "precaution."[29] On July 23, he was hospitalized in serious condition, which later turned critical. After contracting the virus, he regretted not being more vehemently ‘pro-vaccine’, according to his radio station. On July 28, he was placed on a ventilator[30][31][32] to focus on treating his lungs.[33] On August 1, it was reported that his family would keep him alive on an ECMO machine.[34] He died on August 21, demonstrating that his chance of dying from COVID-19 had turned out to be 100%.
:lol: :owned: