Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

land on the fremen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

pointsofdata posted:

in the film they barely talk (in fact I don't think they exchange one line of dialogue before hooking up, Chani says some quote from the book and then Paul thinks "I love her")

that's pretty accurate to the book as i recall. he sees her a couple of times and decides he loves her, then smash cut to two years later and he has a one-year-old baby. she barely has any lines.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
fremen on the landsraad

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sagebrush posted:

the weird sex thing that always gets me about dune is that paul and chani are 17 and 15, respectively, when they have their first baby, leto II the elder who is killed in the sietch raid. he got her knocked up when she was 14.

i know they're supposed to be space tribespeople and all but gross. gross

huh, i hadn't thought about their ages before. i guess because my mental image is always of the movie actors, who are definitely not that young lol

pointsofdata posted:

in the film they barely talk (in fact I don't think they exchange one line of dialogue before hooking up, Chani says some quote from the book and then Paul thinks "I love her")

yeah, teenagers do dumb things, lol

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

yeah, teenagers do dumb things, lol

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

disappointed that new dune seems to have replaced jihad with crusade.

I wonder if they did a panic recut after the afghanistan events

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i mean i guess paul has been having visions of chani for a while so maybe when he sees her he's just like "welp this is who i marry"

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

i mean i guess paul has been having visions of chani for a while so maybe when he sees her he's just like "welp this is who i marry"

I could believe that but literally everything else in the film works the same way. Just about the only thing they "show" is the shield fight stuff, which doesn't matter at all, and the bad guys being bad which is pretty effective tbh (it's easy to tell who's bad because they're ginger)

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Technically Dune is an Alan Smithee film, not sure what specific beefs Lynch had with it but he disowned it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

who’s stronger: the green knight or goku?

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
he rage quit twin peaks as well

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

TOOT BOOT posted:

Technically Dune is an Alan Smithee film, not sure what specific beefs Lynch had with it but he disowned it

lynch said he hated working on someone else’s story and he doesnt want to do that again

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
George Lucas wanted him to direct empire strikes back and he noped out of it hard

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

pointsofdata posted:

disappointed that new dune seems to have replaced jihad with crusade.

I wonder if they did a panic recut after the afghanistan events

lol no that was almost surely the first studio note before they even had a script

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I have no clue what the historical background of the green knight is, should I look it up or dive in blind

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

people will say you dont need to read the wikipedia summary before/after watching it but those are also the people making 5 hour long youtube explainer videos to explain the ending

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

TOOT BOOT posted:

no it's not. only the tv extended version is, because he had nothing to do with it

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Alan Smythe

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

ymgve posted:

I have no clue what the historical background of the green knight is, should I look it up or dive in blind

The King is King Arthur. I'd say literally nothing else is relevant, and the film diverges from the end of the source material.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

duz posted:

people will say you dont need to read the wikipedia summary before/after watching it but those are also the people making 5 hour long youtube explainer videos to explain the ending

whats there to explain? seems pretty straightforward?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

fart simpson posted:

whats there to explain? seems pretty straightforward?

i thought so too, but i just chalked that up to knowing the source material since a lot of people seem confused

duz
Jul 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/NetflixGeeked/status/1429790569946046464

mystes
May 31, 2006

I feel like if you're trying to make a live action version of an animu, copying the exact costumes (and maybe copying the visual style too closely in general) is an extremely bad idea but what do I know.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

why is ein on a leash?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

mystes posted:

I feel like if you're trying to make a live action version of an animu, copying the exact costumes (and maybe copying the visual style too closely in general) is an extremely bad idea but what do I know.

i'd rather they go too close then do the "realistic costumes" thing where everyone is wearing the same grey and black jackets

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

mystes posted:

i feel like if it's going to be extremely bad it'll be because it's a netflix production and they don't have the budget or skill to pull it off. looking at the promo stills there, i'd say they've perfectly captured the look of "low budget cable production" or "cosplayers on an instagram set"

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 23, 2021

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hiring someone who doesn't know martial arts for the role of spike says a lot about how the fight scenes are going to go

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

qirex posted:

hiring someone who doesn't know martial arts for the role of spike says a lot about how the fight scenes are going to go

remember netflix's marvel's the iron fist?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

qirex posted:

oh that sucks

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lmao. not out until mid november. i will have completely forgotten about this again by then

mystes
May 31, 2006

infernal machines posted:

looking at the promo stills there, i'd say they've perfectly captured the look of "low budget cable production" or "cosplayers on an instagram set"
Lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ymgve posted:

either way is probably fine. theres no canonical version of the story and the movie is its own thing. it makes sense without the foreknowledge of the story.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lmao it looks awful

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
faye's costume is not really accurate to the anime because you can't see most of her skin. spike's costume is just a suit which is fine. jet is the only one who doesn't really work irl

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
assuming its a still and not just an on set promo photo, the lighting is really bad.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

lol this looks like poo poo

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Daniella Pineda is bae

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
is there nudity in Cowboy Bebob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

no. put your dick away