Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I should probably give Geforce Now a try, my Shield TV is directly connected to the router so it's probably the best device in the house to be used as a streaming client. I've experimented with Xcloud in my PC's browser (connected via powerline) and it looks good although there's definitely a tiny bit of input latency.

I also finally managed to push input latency low enough to be unnoticeable on my setup for streaming from PC to Shield. Previously 2D games felt like they were eating inputs all the time but I think I'd be happy playing almost anything other than games that require frame-perfect inputs now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Party Boat posted:

I should probably give Geforce Now a try, my Shield TV is directly connected to the router so it's probably the best device in the house to be used as a streaming client. I've experimented with Xcloud in my PC's browser (connected via powerline) and it looks good although there's definitely a tiny bit of input latency.

I also finally managed to push input latency low enough to be unnoticeable on my setup for streaming from PC to Shield. Previously 2D games felt like they were eating inputs all the time but I think I'd be happy playing almost anything other than games that require frame-perfect inputs now.

I'm very bullish on GFN to the point of undeserved fanboyism, but you should definitely at least give it a shot if you have anything at all in your Steam/Epic library that's on it

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

mA posted:

How old is that 750W PSU? PSUs like every other component degrade over time. If you're going to invest > $1,000 on a new GPU, I'd recommend not skimping out if your PSU is a bit older, especially since new PSUs aren't that expensive or difficult to buy.

Its about four years old. Luckily I bought my 3080ti in a bundle that came with a power supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G5 80 Plus Gold Power Supply

I'd assume that would be a good power supply to use in my old one's stead just to be sure?

According to this thread there actually may be a problem with this power supply and 3000 series cards: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/jfrplu/evga_850w_ga_psu_compatibility_with_3080_ftw3/

Skyarb fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Aug 23, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

A four year old PSU is not a problem, considering PSUs often last far longer than that. I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Your PSU isn't very old and it's within the the requirements NVidia has specified for the 3080 Ti. It'll probably be fine.

EVGA's over-power protection is a bit overzealous with some of their PSUs unfortunately. At least I guess that's better than the Gigabyte option of having the PSU explode in your computer.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

Tenchrono posted:

The used market is absolutely insane:. I listed my 1080ti on ebay the other day and the bids are already up to $650. :psyduck: thats more than what I paid for it.
I bought Titan Xp locally for half. I guess the seller didn't know what he had

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails?ItemList=Combo.4311368

3060TI bundle

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I have GFN. I use it for specific situations. It's nice to play battle tech on a laptop and have it still be metal-cold to the touch. If you're the type that plays 2 video games at a time, it can be nice for offloading an intensive one.

Works in browser windows too so maybe good for getting past work IT?

It's definitely not a must have and imo they'd be smart to include it for a year on the 3070s or higher or whatever

E: has anybody gone from 1080ti to 3060ti? Personal anecdotes to share?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Statutory Ape posted:

If you're the type that plays 2 video games at a time, it can be nice for offloading an intensive one.

many questions...

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Statutory Ape posted:

I have GFN. I use it for specific situations. It's nice to play battle tech on a laptop and have it still be metal-cold to the touch. If you're the type that plays 2 video games at a time, it can be nice for offloading an intensive one.

Works in browser windows too so maybe good for getting past work IT?

It's definitely not a must have and imo they'd be smart to include it for a year on the 3070s or higher or whatever

E: has anybody gone from 1080ti to 3060ti? Personal anecdotes to share?

I went from a 1070 to 3060ti and it has been immense. I get that there is less difference between a 1080ti and 3060ti, however. I would suspect that you should do it only if you want RTX+DLSS and only if you can find it close to MSRP.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Yeah based on what people are saying I'm not sure GFN really has a use case for me. I have a decent PC with a pretty large game library and a Shield TV that I stream said library to. I don't have to worry about noise etc because the PC is on the other side of the house and while I have a fast and unmetered internet connection which would be ideal for streaming, I can just use that connection to download and install anything I would want to play in a matter of minutes. I'll try it out to see what the tech is like but I'd be very surprised if I end up paying for it.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1429736615379881986

Zen 4 is shaping up good

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i like it, i have always used a GPU but even a simple lovely iGPU would be very nice for diagnostics or certain goofy linux distros which don't offer good 3000 series support. plus you can use the motherboard display ports, right?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Success, I managed to grab a Zotac 3060 Twin Edge OC for the same price as a 6600 XT off Overclockers (down to 7 in stock when I bought it, then 4 when I checked after, so I appear to be one of the lucky ones). I have no idea how good Zotac are, but I have an 800W PSU so as long as it loving works then I could not care less!

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

shrike82 posted:

the other issue with gfn is that publishers can disallow playing your steam game on it so support is arbitrary

Is this an early 2000's situation where legally bought games are liable not to work properly but pirated ones are fine?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Collateral posted:

Is this an early 2000's situation where legally bought games are liable not to work properly but pirated ones are fine?

GeForce Now basically gives you a virtual machine on Nvidia's servers, that opens up your Steam or Epic Games account, and then the server plays the game, and streams the visuals back to you

the good part is that any games you already own on your Steam account, that are supported by the service, show up there immediately, as opposed to something like Google Stadia where you actually have to buy the Stadia-version of the game, even if you might already own it elsewhere

the bad part is that the service doesn't accept every game. EA and Activision/Blizzard and Microsoft are big examples of publishers that don't let their games run on GFN for reasons of exclusivity

the piracy question doesn't fit into it at all because you don't control the virtual machine beyond what it needs to log you into Steam

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I ran GFN for a few months while away from my desktop because I wanted to continue playing CP2077 from my laptop. It's very good for what it is: 1080p gaming on a decent RTX enabled GPU for that resolution.

The list of games can be frustratingly limited. I wanted to pay Monster Hunter World for example in the same period, but nope. There were a couple of other games that I couldn't play.

The feeling I got was that everyone wants their own streaming service and are holding their games back from possible future competitors even if they don't have a service yet.

GFN itself is very good within its boundaries. Had no problems getting a server for example.

Stream Deck will solve this traveling need in the future better because I can use mods with PC games on the Deck.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

This is a good deal imo

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Skyarb posted:

Its about four years old. Luckily I bought my 3080ti in a bundle that came with a power supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G5 80 Plus Gold Power Supply

I'd assume that would be a good power supply to use in my old one's stead just to be sure?

According to this thread there actually may be a problem with this power supply and 3000 series cards: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/jfrplu/evga_850w_ga_psu_compatibility_with_3080_ftw3/

That thread is about the 850 GA and as far as I can tell the G5 is not having the same issue. Someone asked about it about it in the thread and no one has responded with any problems for 10 months, though someone did mention the B5. I did find one person who was having issues with an 850 G5 but it was just a faulty PSU and they said their replacement worked fine. ANd I found some forum post saying EVGA stated that the issue with the GA wasn't widespread and came about because a specific combination of components.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Success, I managed to grab a Zotac 3060 Twin Edge OC for the same price as a 6600 XT off Overclockers (down to 7 in stock when I bought it, then 4 when I checked after, so I appear to be one of the lucky ones). I have no idea how good Zotac are, but I have an 800W PSU so as long as it loving works then I could not care less!

nice! 800W will be more than plenty. i think of those two i'd go for a 3060? not for nothing else because i have a b450 lol.

i was telling someone god it might have been ITT "i mean a b450 is fine, when on earth are you going to need pcie gen 4 on a lower end build?" owned by amd lol

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I overnighted the 6700xt that I ordered but because I ordered it on a Sunday it still has not been picked up by UPS. So I probably won't get the thing until tomorrow :psypop:

Looking at prices for my 1060 (Asus Dual) 6gb on eBay it looks like they're still regularly going for $300 wtf.

I'm probably going to sell it to compensate for getting beat to death on the 6700 but honestly I don't feel great about it...

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

CoolCab posted:

nice! 800W will be more than plenty. i think of those two i'd go for a 3060? not for nothing else because i have a b450 lol.

Yeah, the 6600 was a last resort because my main need for a new card is VR, and the 6600 really seems to drop off above 1080p in a way that the 3060 doesn't, so I'm actually happy with my purchase even at a premium, rather than sort of okay-ish with it.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I wish I didn’t need solid OpenGL performance so I could go for AMD

mexi
Mar 17, 2003

Time to call it a night.
Hearing word of another instore drop at BestBuy Aug 26th. Same stores probably.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

this is the unofficial list going around for BB card drops
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uH35_KPjkvyvRbNCvj6j2OEWYJChU8AhYa841yFcXVg/edit#gid=0

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

gigabyte vision 3090 in stock
https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-3090-gv-n3090vision-oc-24gd/p/N82E16814932365

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Zoran posted:

I wish I didn’t need solid OpenGL performance so I could go for AMD

What do you need it in? It may be bearable, but it all depends.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Lmao that price.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

return of the king

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1429873697196740616?s=19

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Cartoon Man posted:

Lmao that price.

It was in stock supplied by Newegg for $2100. Now that it's out of stock they've switched over to one of the many scalpers they let on their marketplace.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Cartoon Man posted:

Lmao that price.

it was msrp 10 seconds ago

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Hasturtium posted:

What do you need it in? It may be bearable, but it all depends.

3DS emulation mainly

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

it was msrp 10 seconds ago

GPU Megathread: It was MSRP 10 seconds ago

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Zoran posted:

3DS emulation mainly

It's hard to imagine any modern graphics card from any company struggling at that in 2021. My 5700 XT can manage it at full speed, at least.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Surprised Newegg is even still listing cards at MSRP anymore.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Was selected for the Newegg Shuffle, for a Gigabyte Visio 3060 and mATX motherboard. If anyone is interested let me know - I actually wanted the 3080 FTW3, but of course didn't get that one.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

SourKraut posted:

Was selected for the Newegg Shuffle, for a Gigabyte Visio 3060 and mATX motherboard. If anyone is interested let me know - I actually wanted the 3080 FTW3, but of course didn't get that one.

How much is this set?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Biowarfare posted:

How much is this set?

$629 pre-tax for the combo.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Cartoon Man posted:

Lmao that price.

It says Unavailable now :negative:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's hard to imagine any modern graphics card from any company struggling at that in 2021. My 5700 XT can manage it at full speed, at least.

I see an awful lot of performance problems reported by people with AMD cards, at least with specific titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Since the 3080 is Unavailable Forever, I'm looking at the Geforce A4000 card, what's the deal with these? Do they have good games performance? Can I just drop one to replace my 1080Ti? They support RTX in games too, right?

Says they're more for workstations, and I've never owned a non-gaming card but hey, if it works for games and gives better performance for 3d apps... And it's not overpriced...

it even claims to use less energy at 140W