Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Since we're talking charm builds, any suggestions for what works for GPZ? He's been my consistent roadblock in Godhome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Give me charm load outs that I can quick swap to

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

fractalairduct posted:

Since we're talking charm builds, any suggestions for what works for GPZ? He's been my consistent roadblock in Godhome.

None really, he's a tough fight that's hard to cheese. However, you can heal once when you hear him go Thundaa and the exploding ghosts appear.

Alternatively you can leave him to die and he won't appear in godhome?

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Eeepies posted:

Alternatively you can leave him to die and he won't appear in godhome?

this method is both evil and cowardly.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
on the one hand, the pure and objectively correct decision to let Zote die

on the other hand, your integrity as a hardcore gamer

truly a dilemma for the ages

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Excuse me, but Zote is actually a knight of great renown and does not need your help

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
GPZ is one of the best fights in the game and I'm convinced that most people just approach it the wrong way. Don't try to anticipate his moves, just react to what he does!

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

GimmickMan posted:

Sharp Shadow is amazing

It's one of my absolute favorites and I always try to keep it equipped. It's a charm that makes me feel more like an OP boss.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

That dude doing the (mostly) blind playthrough just beat Radiance on his first try! what a jerk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YO34qH1xv4

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Well. How about that?
https://www.gamesradar.com/hollow-knight-just-broke-its-own-concurrent-user-record-on-steam-three-years-after-its-release/

quote:

Originally released back in February 2017, Team Cherry's epic action-adventure through a vast ruined kingdom of insects and heroes became an indie darling, achieving acclaim and awards from critics and fans alike, arguably reinvigorating interest in the Metroidvania genre and inspiring a host of other adventure games.

Four years later, however, it seems it's just as popular as ever, securing a new all-time concurrent player peak on PC via Steam of over 12,000 players on August 5 – 12,891, to be exact, according to SteamDB (thanks, PCGN). Prior to that, the game had only breached 10,000 simultaneous players just a handful of times.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
that's what happens when you make literally the best game in its genre -- it has legs!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
In 10 years people will be talking about Hollow Knight the same way we talk about Symphony of the Night and Super Metroid today

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Bust Rodd posted:

In 10 years people will be talking about Hollow Knight the same way we talk about Symphony of the Night and Super Metroid today

For certain. I had been having pangs of nostalgia for Super Metroid, wishing I could get that first-time experience again...

At which point I remembered a friend had gifted me Hollow Knight as a Christmas gift during Steam Sale and I just slept on it. With the full weight of SM :member: in my system, finally coming to this game was exactly the experience I had been craving.

The art work, sound design, and the absolutely amazing score...I just can't gush enough about this game. One of my all-time favorites!

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

Bust Rodd posted:

Hopefully we're not talking about Silksong in the same way we did Metroid Prime 4. I haven't seen them post any updates on Twitter for a year, it was far enough along in 2019 to have a demo! Any actual rumors about development? Cut back because of COVID? I'm glad there's no shortage of Metroid/Castlevania inspired games now but Silksong looked so much fun

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

they've been pretty radio silent, it's a case of "they aren't releasing until it's ready, no matter how long it takes"

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Honestly I just want confirmation the team is okay. Like I don't recall any updates from them in a long long time and worried something happened with the pandemic n' all

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

The team is based in Adelaide, they're fine pandemic-wise. It'll be ready when it's ready.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Honestly I just want confirmation the team is okay. Like I don't recall any updates from them in a long long time and worried something happened with the pandemic n' all
Team Cherry went on holiday in December 2019 and haven't come back yet on social media or their own website. Before that was E3 where they showed the teaser and demo at E3 in June 2019.

If Fangamer hadn't been releasing new merch for them recently I'd think that the company had just quietly disbanded and canceled Silksong.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

They went from nothing to being millionaires. I'd give myself a few years to enjoy myself before getting back into the tedious and grinding work of game development.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I do think having a gameplay demo to show off at E3 in 2019 and then nothing else two years on does bode very poorly. Even if they've not disbanded it seems like something has gone very wrong with development

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
There was an Edge article back at the start of the year too.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The original game overshot its release target by a long time iirc. It was something like two years from the Kickstarter to release. And Silksong was technically an unmet stretch goal on that Kickstarter lol

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

multijoe posted:

I do think having a gameplay demo to show off at E3 in 2019 and then nothing else two years on does bode very poorly. Even if they've not disbanded it seems like something has gone very wrong with development

Disagree, if CDPRed’s 2077 debacle has proven anything, it’s that building hype is actually stupid and devs would be wiser to simply cork it until they are ready.

I also don’t think people really appreciate how much work goes into a game when you only have 2 people who know how to code, one guy who draws EVERY FRAME OF ANIMATION and then one guy who writes and records every song themselves.

Also they had that big gaming cover story in January-February of this year.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i've tried to play this game like a dozen times, my latest attempt having started a week & a bit ago

happy to say that this time, like an old engine, it finally caught; just finished (what i assume is) the first ending yesterday and am marching on with the piles of poo poo i haven't even looked at yet

game good

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

dung defender is bae

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Darox posted:

Sharp Shadow is absolutely incredible for NKG (and most bosses really, underrated charm), it lets you get a lot of free hits in and gives you more leeway for dashing through him and his attacks. The uppercut is trivial to dodge when you can just dash through him and sit underneath, you can hit him during the dive and so on.

The other excellent charm combo is Shape of Unn and Deep Focus which can easily triple your effective masks or more because it’s easy to heal up to 6 masks whenever he does the flame pillar attack.

I feel like healing during Flame Pillar is probably a mistake since you can get 3-4 clean hits on NKG while it's out. The real value of Shape of Unn on NKG is low profiling the fireball attack.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Ciaphas posted:

i've tried to play this game like a dozen times, my latest attempt having started a week & a bit ago

happy to say that this time, like an old engine, it finally caught; just finished (what i assume is) the first ending yesterday and am marching on with the piles of poo poo i haven't even looked at yet

game good

Easily the weakest part of hollow knight is that it starts slow. Before you get the mantis claw it's kind of a slog.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Natural 20 posted:

I feel like healing during Flame Pillar is probably a mistake since you can get 3-4 clean hits on NKG while it's out. The real value of Shape of Unn on NKG is low profiling the fireball attack.

You can still get 3 hits and a heal during flame pillar, plus 2-3 hits during the flame bats though. Plus the extra charm notches from not needing Shape of Unn.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

I did NKG on radiant a couple of weeks ago over the course of a couple of hours.

I just used shaman stone and unbreakable strength, although mark of pride probably would have made dodging his dive attack easier. That was the only attack I had trouble dodging consistently, either from mistiming the pogo as he landed or not staying in the air long enough to avoid the fire trail. I eventually just used desolate dive to avoid that attack altogether.

Shaman stone wasn't very useful but I was practicing from the pantheon of hallownest so I just kept my charm layout the same. He's not that bad, it's just a long fight and you have to play pretty cleanly for a long period of time. I have way more trouble with Grey Prince Zote (I love that fight I'm just bad at it).

Edit: spoilered the boss name because I see a new player just posted and I don't want to ruin the surprise.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tampa Bae posted:

Team Cherry went on holiday in December 2019 and haven't come back yet on social media or their own website. Before that was E3 where they showed the teaser and demo at E3 in June 2019.

If Fangamer hadn't been releasing new merch for them recently I'd think that the company had just quietly disbanded and canceled Silksong.

They're a 3 man team making huge, polished games. I wouldn't assume anything until they're like 5 years behind schedule. With the financial success of hollow knight there is ZERO reason to speak about the game right now.

But if they do talk and say the wrong thing, they could No Man's Sky themselves.

Don't jump to any conclusions. The lesson of the game industry in general has been to talk about your game less before release, and they're a microscopic team with all hands plenty busy enough they don't need distractions.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

multijoe posted:

Nah its just a 3 person team making a AAA level game. This should all be expected.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I hope they spend 36 hours a week at work and enjoy their lives and success because that will probably make the final product better and it is definitely better for them.
:shrug:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If the hollow Knight teams posted “were communists and only do max 4 hours of labor a day before loving off to the beach and getting drunk” I’d just as happily wait another 2 years.

You should really only have to make one totally perfect masterpiece in your lifetime and everything after that is just gravy.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Zaphod42 posted:

Nah its just a 3 person team making a AAA level game. This should all be expected.

Hollow Knight is not a AAA game.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Hobojim posted:

I did NKG on radiant a couple of weeks ago over the course of a couple of hours.

I just used shaman stone and unbreakable strength, although mark of pride probably would have made dodging his dive attack easier. That was the only attack I had trouble dodging consistently, either from mistiming the pogo as he landed or not staying in the air long enough to avoid the fire trail. I eventually just used desolate dive to avoid that attack altogether.

Shaman stone wasn't very useful but I was practicing from the pantheon of hallownest so I just kept my charm layout the same. He's not that bad, it's just a long fight and you have to play pretty cleanly for a long period of time. I have way more trouble with Grey Prince Zote (I love that fight I'm just bad at it).

Edit: spoilered the boss name because I see a new player just posted and I don't want to ruin the surprise.

appreciate the thought btw - at this point i'm well past it

GPZ i've beaten twice, fairly comfortably though with enough healing that i'd suffer on later iterations

meanwhile Radiance can eat my entire rear end, what a frustrating slog. i need a break :mad:

maybe when i pick the game back up later i'll start grimm troupe or godhome stuff. i'll probably need to look up the start points, though

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

Waltzing Along posted:

Hollow Knight is not a AAA game.

Yeah it's clearly a AAAA game

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

a++++++++ would... develop again?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The only AAA I want in my Hollow Knight is AAA HUNDAAAAAAA

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

appreciate the thought btw - at this point i'm well past it

GPZ i've beaten twice, fairly comfortably though with enough healing that i'd suffer on later iterations

meanwhile Radiance can eat my entire rear end, what a frustrating slog. i need a break :mad:

maybe when i pick the game back up later i'll start grimm troupe or godhome stuff. i'll probably need to look up the start points, though

Godhome is funny because I did some of it when it first came out and decided I would never finish it, but then kept picking it back up once every few months to play it a bit. I finally bit the bullet and commited to finishing it a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it.

Don't feel bad looking up how to start it, or Grimm Troupe. They're well-hidden. I stumbled upon Grimm Troupe myself but I don't know that I would have ever found Godhome's start on my own, partially because I had already explored that area before godhome was released but also partly because it's just a weird spot to hide something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

skasion posted:

The only AAA I want in my Hollow Knight is AAA HUNDAAAAAAA