Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

half cocaine posted:

We should all vote for the tories just to see what will happen.

gently caress you I’m voting Christian Heritage party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

I’m starting a Maoist Party of Canada. Sign up for your riding.

I don’t give a poo poo if you’re a Sex pest or said a slur once.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Land Reform Party of Canada.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
There are all kinds of other parties you may consider voting for.

There's the Fourth Front, whose website sent me to a bullshit "1 billionth search" ad that said I could win a prize and whose platform is COMING SOON in 00 Days 00 Hours 00 Minutes and 00 Seconds.

There's the Animal Protection Party, which claims to be "inclusive of all species" and yet does not run any animal candidates. :thunk:

There's the Canadian Nationalist Party which is clearly doing well.

There's the Marijuana Party which... I mean, half of their platform has already been enacted!

There's the Rhinoceros Party, of course, which, I mean, why not at this point?

quote:

Economy

With the economy being THE number one priority of the Rhinoceros Party, the party is proposing several measures to reduce the tax burden on taxpayers:

--The Rhinoceros Government will open tax havens in all provinces! Hundreds of tax havens will keep foreign funds “local” and reap up to $ 2,000 billion annually!
--By 2022, the party pledges to complete the privatization of the Senate initiated by previous governments.
--Finally, we will fill the coffers of the state by allowing advertising in the Senate and the House of Commons.

Education

Education being THE number one priority of the Rhinoceros Party, we are committed to eliminating waste and providing quality education to all Canadians.

--Replace teachers on leave with photos of famous scientists.

(Other commitments to come)

Employment

Employment being THE number one priority of the Rhinoceros Party, we are committed to doing everything we can to make life easier for Canadian workers.

--Citizens are asking for jobs and we will give them some! By 2020, we promise that all citizens will have a job and most will even have two.
--In our first mandate, we will rewrite the Labour Code in order to add one holiday per month. April 1st and the birthday of the party leader will also become holidays. Finally, it will be forbidden to work the day after a holiday.
--Reduce the number of accidents in factories by wrapping all workers in bubble wrap.

Any many more!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Baronjutter posted:

NDP are the party that small lgbtqia2s+ landlords and landlords of colour, struggling low-income landlords can count on for support.
Liberals are here for your solid upper middle class landlord that really don't mind renting to people of any colour so long as they pay on time and in full.
Conservatives are the party for landlords of all sizes from the basement suite mortgage helper to the huge property management firm that really need a tax break and more freedom to kick out the wrong sort of tenants.

So we've got a whole spectrum of choices in Canada! You might ask "but what if you're not a landlord?" well that's a fair question, but the government doesn't really have a mandate to represent your interests in the slightest.

Maybe if you owned some property your vote would matter

HackensackBackpack posted:

There's the Marijuana Party which... I mean, half of their platform has already been enacted!

These guys have technically been more effective than the NDP in the last decade.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

ZShakespeare posted:

The NDP is mostly Liberals with a marginally more progressive tax policy?

Yeah. I don't get people being disappointed by the NDP now. Why would it be different from the Mulcair years? It's basically the same people, with extra popular lefty sounding buzzwords with no tangible plan or serious candidate backing any of it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Whoa, buddy, we're gonna rename a ward for Jack Layton now.

Remember him?

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
He's back, in electoral district form.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

infernal machines posted:

Whoa, buddy, we're gonna rename a ward for Jack Layton now.

Remember him?

He's the only reason the NDP has survived this long, when Quebec fell in love with him in 2011. His memory is the only meaningful thing they have to remain relevant. Or at least, that's what they seem to believe.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

ZShakespeare posted:

The NDP is mostly Liberals with a marginally more progressive tax policy?

Gros Tarla posted:

Yeah. I don't get people being disappointed by the NDP now. Why would it be different from the Mulcair years? It's basically the same people, with extra popular lefty sounding buzzwords with no tangible plan or serious candidate backing any of it.

Just a muddled mess of milquetoast centrism but at least there are some good TikToks now.

I just think it's funny. At least try to say the quiet part quietly.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

half cocaine posted:

We should all vote for the tories just to see what will happen.

very little

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gros Tarla posted:

He's the only reason the NDP has survived this long, when Quebec fell in love with him in 2011. His memory is the only meaningful thing they have to remain relevant. Or at least, that's what they seem to believe.

I mean the love affair didn't last all that long after his death given how quickly all of those orange seats evaporated under Mulcair, because it turned out that Quebec actually loved racism a hell of a lot more than they loved Jack Layton and/or Jack Layton's ghost.

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

My local NDP riding association still hasn't got their candidate officially on the ballot, whereas Scott Reid already has lawn signs all over the place. Kinda sucks

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

https://twitter.com/David_Moscrop/status/1429540688010547204

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Toronto—Danforth can become Danforth—Layton only if Calgary Southwest becomes Calgary Southwest—Stephen Harper's Ballsack.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

nine-gear crow posted:

Toronto—Danforth can become Danforth—Layton only if Calgary Southwest becomes Calgary Southwest—Stephen Harper's Ballsack.

If its a posthumous naming ceremony sure.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Princess Patricia's Canadian Electoral District

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

I’m going to run as a NDP candidate in the South Winnipeg-The Keg district in 2026

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Vancouver Canucks-False Creek

It hasn't sent an MP to parliament in over 50 years! :buddy:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I appreciate the (imo misplaced) optimism that every riding wouldn't be named after a bank.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Photo: Prime Minister Justin Trudeau takes his seat in the Scotiabank House of Commons after winning his seat in the riding of Papineau—SNC-Lavalin. (THE CANADIAN PRESS)

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

pokeyman posted:

I appreciate the (imo misplaced) optimism that every riding wouldn't be named after a bank.

Now now, at least 20% of them would be named after Rogers telecommunications.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Every Atlantic Seat would be Irving

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Hahahahaha holy poo poo. How did this person get nominated by the NDP?

My guess is she was the only one they had who hadn't gone on Facebook with a profanity-laced rant about Stephen Harper when she was 17.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

TrueChaos posted:

Oh hey look it's the NDP nominee for my riding. Now who the hell do I vote for.

Chaos reigns.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Photo: Prime Minister Justin Trudeau takes his seat in the Scotiabank House of Commons after winning his seat in the riding of Papineau—SNC-Lavalin. (THE CANADIAN PRESS)

This post made me realize that papineau is actually already named after a politician.

Still think it’s dumb though, and we should stop naming places after people in general.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

nine-gear crow posted:

On a provincial level there's a bunch of seats in Alberta named after party leaders. Edmonton-Decore, Calgary-Klein, and Central Peace - Notley spring to mind. (The last one is named after her dad, she runs in Edmonton). I do think they're all posthumous though.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Naughty liberals

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Albino Squirrel posted:

On a provincial level there's a bunch of seats in Alberta named after party leaders. Edmonton-Decore, Calgary-Klein, and Central Peace - Notley spring to mind. (The last one is named after her dad, she runs in Edmonton). I do think they're all posthumous though.

So you're saying there's a chance that Harper could drag his ballsack across a vast swath of Calgary?

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Hahahahaha holy poo poo. How did this person get nominated by the NDP?

It's a riding where we generally get 6-12% of the vote. They probably had to dial down a list of people to get someone to run.

...or, given this tweet, this person might be completely and utterly delusional.

Another Dirty Dish
Oct 8, 2009

:argh:

bunnyofdoom posted:

Come on, I’m sure the Sobey’s and McCain’s could afford to “sponsor” a few

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

"Twitter has decided that the Liberals manipulated a video where Erin O'Toole says he would support private, for-profit healthcare into looking as though he said he would support private, for-profit healthcare."

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Holy poo poo, stop naming things after people already. Especially after politicians. It shouldn't even be considered until...I'm going to say 100 years after their death, see if anyone remembers who they were or if they had any lasting relevance.
I just get annoyed every time we we end up having to drive on a section of highway named in memoriam of some OPP officer or a street named after a minor local politician from 1956.

And wow, that landlord tweet. If you're an NDP candidate and you're getting the urge to defend yourself from a landlord organization by reassuring them, remember that you don't actually have to do that.
Feel free to tell them to go gently caress themselves instead.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

"The results are coming in from the Irving Provinces. John Irving will be the candidate for the riding of Irvington-Irving."

Fidelitious posted:

Holy poo poo, stop naming things after people already. Especially after politicians. It shouldn't even be considered until...I'm going to say 100 years after their death, see if anyone remembers who they were or if they had any lasting relevance.

We're just leaving the expense of re-renaming things to later generations when it turns out the politicians we named everything after were awful, which we already knew the whole time but pretended we didn't because "it was a different time then."

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

poo poo's gonna get real awkward when people check out the track record of this "Queen" institution that all these streets are named after.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

This is kind of stupid, O'Toole says he will still bring private healthcare to Canada, just prioritize public healthcare? The Liberals are stupid as well though because the full video is just as bad and by pushing the edit it gives the Conservatives an avenue of attack on what should be a really important election issue. Just burn this loving country to the ground already.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Muscle Tracer posted:

poo poo's gonna get real awkward when people check out the track record of this "Queen" institution that all these streets are named after.

I will entertain that "Radio Ga Ga" is somewhat problematic but otherwise I have no problem with Queen as an institution.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://twitter.com/DFisman/status/1429761663671185413

Woof this is bad news

e:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Welp. There goes the guy with integrity I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

https://readpassage.com/politician-landlords/

Find out if your representative is a landlord.