Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

Where is my GOD DAMNED TIRE, Amazon??????

It has been stuck in Grand Rapids for six days without moving and it's the last part I need to finish putting the bike back together. ughghghghghghgh

Ebay removed the tracking number link from an item that was shipped a week ago. I guess my item is out there somewhere and they'd prefer I didn't expect it anytime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I just shipped a buddy a bottle of whiskey and FedEx gave me a weather delay when the package was in Barstow, CA. At the time of the delay it was 88 degrees and sunny, with no nearby fires on the cal fire incident map.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Phy posted:

Loose chips in the middle of the road, on a curving, downhill, elevated on-ramp, where people are accelerating when there's little traffic, has got to be a fatal highside risk and I'm actually kind of incensed about it. Someone could legit get killed by this and I'm gonna phone the city's 311 line later this morning.

That reminds me of a terrifying autoroute intersection I crossed near Milan. It is a curve through 90 degrees on an elevated road, and has solid metal plates which I guess are expansion joints every ~20m. The bike was obviously banked over a bit and at each joint the front then back tyre slipped sideways a decent amount. It must be awful in rain.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Turns out the onramp is the province's jurisdiction, not the city, and a private company contracts out for the work, so I phoned and emailed the person who looks like they are the provincial governmental contact for the department cause screw trying to tell a company they're loving up.

Guess I'll see if I get any response. Maybe shoulda called the local buttrock radio station about it too. They can be kinda chuddy but they do alert drivers to photoradar.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

my dude. come on

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh sick a damascus tire

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

oh sick a damascus tire

Forged in fuckwit

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
How does a baseball cap not get instantly fwipped off your head the second you go above 40?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

How does a baseball cap not get instantly fwipped off your head the second you go above 40?

Load bearing hair gel.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
incredibald tire, zip-tied license plate, and all of the other giant red flags aside, who in the sam hell gently caress puts their kickstand down in traffic?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
a dude who's concentrating on his phone, probably

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Renaissance Robot posted:

a dude who's concentrating on his phone, probably

I don't think he had his phone out, he was leaning back with his arms crossed. When the light changed he had his hands on the controls pretty quick

I didn't even notice the kickstand though :hmmno:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I think the kickstand down is almost worse than the tire, I wouldn't have thought that's a thing someone would ever intentionally do

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Does anyone have a link to those motorcycle crash compilation videos? For the life of me I can't remember the title or link to look up, I keep thinking no survivors, but that sounds a bit more macabre than they really were.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

No Prisoners

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6ILI8Lx2X8

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Go on, take the money and run.

Jazzzzz posted:

incredibald tire, zip-tied license plate, and all of the other giant red flags aside, who in the sam hell gently caress puts their kickstand down in traffic?

My license plate is zip-tied fight me

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I went on the bus today to perform some motorcycle logistics and we were moving at half the speed limit. What's that in front of the Tesla? A German station wagon with something orange and triangular on the hatch? Yep, that's a tractor. :sweden:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
First morning out with a brand new crystal clear visor and not five minutes into the ride a bug nails me right between the eyes. Classic.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

FBS posted:

I don't think he had his phone out, he was leaning back with his arms crossed. When the light changed he had his hands on the controls pretty quick

I didn't even notice the kickstand though :hmmno:

Don't some bikes have a safety that cuts the engine if you put into first with the kickstand down?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

sixth and maimed posted:

Don't some bikes have a safety that cuts the engine if you put into first with the kickstand down?

That looks like a Ninja 300 or 400 which does have a kickstand sensor but does this not immediately strike you as a person who would disable any safety sensors on day one? :haw:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
It won't cut out if you go into neutral first.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I can start/run in gear with the kickstand down and clutch in, but if I try pulling away, then I get an ignition cut. Which seems weird!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Phy posted:

I can start/run in gear with the kickstand down and clutch in, but if I try pulling away, then I get an ignition cut. Which seems weird!

Totally normal, that's what clutch switches are for. It's belt and suspenders safety.

By comparison, Suzuki are lazy and won't let you start the bike except with the clutch pulled, Ducati are lazy and won't let you run the engine with the stand down (highly infuriating btw!), Harley are soaring on winds of freedom like a majestic carrion bird and give you nothing, you're quite welcome to crank the bike in gear with the stand down and no clutch. This may have changed recently idk.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Totally normal, that's what clutch switches are for. It's belt and suspenders safety.

By comparison, Suzuki are lazy and won't let you start the bike except with the clutch pulled

I actually just spent some time looking at the wiring diagram trying to figure out what the gently caress, and couldn't figure out what the "starter lockout switch" on the left handlebar cluster was. I guess that's the clutch switch!

Also it's been a while since I sold my Strom, guess I didn't remember that it had to clutch in to start whether it was in gear or not.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Harley are soaring on winds of freedom like a majestic carrion bird and give you nothing, you're quite welcome to crank the bike in gear with the stand down and no clutch. This may have changed recently idk.

Entirely correct.

If the side stand is down you can start it and rev it in neutral no problem.

As soon as you put it in first, if the stand is down, the engine cuts out.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

Entirely correct.

If the side stand is down you can start it and rev it in neutral no problem.

As soon as you put it in first, if the stand is down, the engine cuts out.

Yeah nah this is a new thing I think, they don't normally have a side stand switch or any kind of neutral interlock at all.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Ducati are lazy and won't let you run the engine with the stand down

:wrong:, at least for every Ducati I've ever ridden (admittedly not a *long* list - 748, OG Monster, 900SS, 821 Monster(s), two flavours of Scrambler, 848 Streetfighter). All have had the conventional "cut ignition and starter if side stand is down and bike is in gear" behaviour that the majority of bike I've ever ridden have had. Maybe it's a regional thing? I assume NZ gets Japan-spec bikes (ride on the left, use KMH), so that might explain it. Actually those first three were all used, so maybe the owners all disconnected the sidestand switch and they've changed it for the modern bikes?

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Slavvy posted:

Yeah nah this is a new thing I think, they don't normally have a side stand switch or any kind of neutral interlock at all.

My Road Glide doesn't. Which is actually how I realized why the side stand retracts so easily. I'm always nervous and frustrated that it just kind of flops down, and if you roll the bike forward it retracts. It's so if you forget to pull the stand up and pull away, and you turn, the stand will collapse in instead of causing you to crash. Which is a stupid solution to a problem that already has a solution.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Strife posted:

My Road Glide doesn't. Which is actually how I realized why the side stand retracts so easily. I'm always nervous and frustrated that it just kind of flops down, and if you roll the bike forward it retracts. It's so if you forget to pull the stand up and pull away, and you turn, the stand will collapse in instead of causing you to crash. Which is a stupid solution to a problem that already has a solution.

The Aprilia RS125 and RS250, despite being identical in quite a lot of ways, had two completely different solutions to this. On the 250 the clutch cable had a spur off to the sidestand pivot so pulling in the clutch lifted the sidestand (and it was impossible to pull in the clutch with the sidestand down with weight on it). Obviously this meant you could potentially still start the bike in gear but it was kickstart-only so mostly people would start it while sitting on it and holding in the clutch and front brake, so it was actually not too bad a solution.

The 125 had an electric start (luxury!) but presumably because they couldn't be bothered mastering the technology of a microswitch and relay they just... took the detent out of the mechanism so it flicked up as soon as you took the weight off the bike, meaning not only could you start the bike in gear it was more or less guaranteed to then fall over if you did (and also take you nastily by surprise when trying to move it or even just get on it if you weren't balanced right).

Finding two completely different ways to do something every other bike manufacturer in the world had cracked in simpler and more reliable ways is a very, very Aprilia thing, I have to admit.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

:wrong:, at least for every Ducati I've ever ridden (admittedly not a *long* list - 748, OG Monster, 900SS, 821 Monster(s), two flavours of Scrambler, 848 Streetfighter). All have had the conventional "cut ignition and starter if side stand is down and bike is in gear" behaviour that the majority of bike I've ever ridden have had. Maybe it's a regional thing? I assume NZ gets Japan-spec bikes (ride on the left, use KMH), so that might explain it. Actually those first three were all used, so maybe the owners all disconnected the sidestand switch and they've changed it for the modern bikes?

I'm not sure, it's not a late model thing but all the 90's ones seem to do it, if the stand is down you can't run the bike. It may well be a regional thing, we don't get strictly JDM bikes but they are different to the UK and EU models I've seen, the JDM euro bikes seem to have like an extra poverty spec right at the bottom of the range so you could get a 748 with a lovely barely-adjustable Sachs shock, things like that.

Strife posted:

It can never, ever retract while the bike's weight is on it, it's hands down the best stand design for this reason and every other brand should copy them. If you look you'll find there's a tab that locks into a slot so you have to stand the bike up for it to retract.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I love my DRZ already but going back to a no-sightglass dipstick oil check feels like I'm boldly entering the Iron Age.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
:lol: even the DR has a sightglass. Hawk has a dipstick and it's incredibly lame but also it's from the 80s so I find it charming.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Coydog posted:

:lol: even the DR has a sightglass. Hawk has a dipstick and it's incredibly lame but also it's from the 80s so I find it charming.

Are dipsticks just Honda's thing? The brand new 'Wings still have dipsticks. I can't imagine they still have them on the sports bikes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

Are dipsticks just Honda's thing? The brand new 'Wings still have dipsticks. I can't imagine they still have them on the sports bikes.

The fireblade went from a sight glass to a dipstick. I don't get it either.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jazzzzz posted:

I had an aprilia with a dipstick, but it kept its oil in the frame so that's kind the best option there.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah I guess that’s why the DRZ has the dipstick since it does keep oil in the frame, but it just feels so archaic :(

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fun fact: the blade 1000 and iirc the cbr600 tell you to put the dipstick in before filling with oil, because the stick is below the oil hole so it pours out as you pour in :downs:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The only thing more annoying than a dipstick is a dipstick on an engine that has the moulding for a sight glass right there that the manufacturer inexplicably chose not to use.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dipsticks are perfectly fine you bunch of babies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Dipsticks are perfectly fine you bunch of babies

Personally, of the ones if used of both types, I prefer dip sticks.