Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

I wonder, if the insanity that had been Trump hadn't been president when this poo poo went down, think it would have been so politicized?

Dark humor, there was a dude I used to work with years ago that was fairly quiet, didn't do much poo poo with coworkers. The joke was he'd be the first workplace shooter we'd ever have. He overheard some people talking about that once, and said he'd never be a workplace shooter for two reasons: if he ever killed people he didn't like, he'd want to take his time, and for that you need a private room, as opposed to mass panic and people screaming. And reason two, he didn't like guns.

Saw the dude on Facebook a bit ago, and he's got a mask on. He even had a post that while there's too many people in the world, he doesn't want to be the reason any of them die from Covid. Presumably a virus is lowbrow in terms of being a serial killer?

I think while we were heading towards the direction of Trump (see Sarah Palin, see tea party, see Fox, see old white dudes increasingly desperate to hang onto power) I'm pretty sure he was one of if not the worse possible outcomes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I've seen a few articles about animals harboring Covid, such as white tailed deer.

https://thetandd.com/business/agriculture/studies-show-deer-exposed-to-covid/article_65431dfd-c8a4-5731-8b09-c88bef5aa5b0.html

Is there any good evidence for human to animal and then back to human transmission?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sammus posted:

Is there any good evidence for human to animal and then back to human transmission?

It happened with the Danish mink abusers.

“Cluster 5” was the big one.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

https://mobile.twitter.com/nytimes/status/1429070814851313668

Vaccine mandates when?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

This will definitely have all those hesitant solely due to lack of FDA approval rushing to Walgreens, and won’t instead move the goalposts at all.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

EL BROMANCE posted:

This will definitely have all those hesitant solely due to lack of FDA approval rushing to Walgreens, and won’t instead move the goalposts at all.

I think that the point is more to open the door to easier mandates from businesses (and the military).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Of course there’s benefits and it was always going to happen, I’m just taking swipes at the so-called hesitant people who’ll now be finding new reasons to not get it rather than just admit they’re part of the anti vax loon brigade.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.
Oh, for sure. Those people are pretty much unreachable I think.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

It won't convince a single one of them but "can employers and schools mandate an unapproved vaccine?" was a real, open question among legal experts and this renders the question moot. That's really important and paves the way for a lot more mandates while knocking out one of the only possible legal argument that chuds could use to fight them.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bliss, I look forward to the tears that tomorrow will bring.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Just to clarify for people of the future:

Yes, America banned masks in some of the more backward states, during a pandemic, because they thought wearing a mask vs a respiratory virus infringed on their freedoms

lol

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

EL BROMANCE posted:

Of course there’s benefits and it was always going to happen, I’m just taking swipes at the so-called hesitant people who’ll now be finding new reasons to not get it rather than just admit they’re part of the anti vax loon brigade.

I saw someone on reddit refer to them as "spreadnecks" and I can't think of anti-vaxxers as anything but.
t

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I think you'll see some people get it now that FDA full approval is here. Some people are just a particular type of stubborn where they just draw some arbitrary line and won't move until then. I think they are in the minority.

I think that the lions share of the holdouts will still not be moved by this. Conspiracy theorists, right wing team politics types, religious lunatics, right wing anti-government types, and people who are secretly one of these things but refuse to admit it will not be moved by this. Also the whole thing with uninsured people, non-english speakers, etc, that changes nothing with them.

Basically I expect a modest rise in vaccination rate, but nothing too significant, maybe just a slight increase over the bump we've been getting as regular people start to worry about delta.

Edit:

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I saw someone on reddit refer to them as "spreadnecks" and I can't think of anti-vaxxers as anything but.

I really like this on sound alone, but I feel like I'm missing the joke?

Edit again: I am a moron and didn't catch the obvious "spread" joke.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 23, 2021

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Hopefully any major event gives people a chance to reevaluate things overall. At this point most people should know someone who's had covid or the vaccine, but that tends to come in as random bits of info rather than a reason to sit back and review the big picture.

It's also just psychologically easier for some people to say they changed a decision because the situation changed rather than admit the decision they made months ago was terrible to begin with.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

yook posted:

Hopefully any major event gives people a chance to reevaluate things overall. At this point most people should know someone who's had covid or the vaccine, but that tends to come in as random bits of info rather than a reason to sit back and review the big picture.

It's also just psychologically easier for some people to say they changed a decision because the situation changed rather than admit the decision they made months ago was terrible to begin with.

I am sure that there were a few odd people actually waiting for this but I doubt it will have much of an impact.

Found out today that my cousin’s husband has been in the ICU for nine days and is reportedly ‘fighting so he doesn’t have to be intubated’. :ohdear:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Actually the reason they aren’t getting vaccinated is economic anxiety.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Zil posted:

Miracles do happen.
It helps that they aren't death cultists and don't want themselves nor their child to wind up with cheese lung. They also genuinely didn't seem to know how much delta changed things.

The latter is a persistent issue just about everywhere I look: people basing their beliefs and decisions off of research done when the wild type or alpha strains were most prevalent. That's due to some combination of sticky initial beliefs (e.g. people still thinking that six feet is some magic number) and manufactured consent.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

wilderthanmild posted:

Conspiracy theorists, right wing team politics types, religious lunatics, right wing anti-government types, and people who are secretly one of these things but refuse to admit it will not be moved by this.

Someone somewhere put it this way: the people ignoring the FDA's advice on not taking horse de-wormer paste aren't likely to be swayed by the FDA's approval of the vaccines

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://twitter.com/charles_gaba/status/1429475078752849926
https://twitter.com/charles_gaba/status/1429475509029818369

He died as he lived: dumb as hell

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Libertarian to the enditarian

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

You can't have any kind of discussion about masks or vaccines with people until you've determined whether they think COVID is real and causes suffering and death. It happened to me personally where the goalposts just kept getting moved around all over the place and once I got to the real issue (it's just the flu), then I could disengage and just leave. To a very limited extent, I can understand some hesitancy around the vaccine, but it's not worth a second of my time discussing things if they don't even have a grasp on reality.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Let's check in on the discourse again and see how things are going

https://twitter.com/RVAwonk/status/1413662890163322885

:hmmno: Okay yeah not a lot of progress

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
PCR test came negative so it's good old fashioned flu/cold. Welp, back to licking lampposts.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
It's amazing how big of babies a lot of people are about taking tests. We can't get my MiL to take a test, even if it's a choice between that and not seeing her grandson for 2 weeks. A friend's mom also chose to skip a concert, for a local musician she has followed her whole life and never missed a show before now, because it was "just too much" to take a test that was required.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

In the UK, except like medical reasons obv , there is absolutely zero reason to not order a 7 pack of lateral flow tests each week. They are free and delivered to your home (godbless NHS and Royal Mail) and the new batches don't even require the tonsil swab part.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

https://twitter.com/Kaprizov_Stan/status/1429632467103850497?s=20

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Felt like making some charts today using Florida data.

Here is Vaccination Rate vs Cases Per 100k

Nice noticeable trend there.

But unfortunately Hospitalizations per 100k doesn't follow the same trend

Now I don't know if this is the result of how the data is reported(county of residence vs county of hospitalization), hospitals maxing out on capacity, or if there really is no reduction in hospitalizations associated with vaccination rate in this case. It's too bad Florida doesn't report deaths by county anymore, since that would probably be less prone to aberrations as long as they reported by county of residence. Maybe I'll try this with another state that does report deaths by county.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Aug 23, 2021

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

wilderthanmild posted:

But unfortunately Hospitalizations per 100k doesn't follow the same trend

Now I don't know if this is the result of how the data is reported(county of residence vs county of hospitalizations), hospitals maxing out on capacity, or if there really is no reduction in hospitalizations associated with vaccination rate in this case. It's too bad Florida doesn't report deaths by county anymore, since that would probably be less prone to aberrations as long as they reported by county of residence. Maybe I'll try this with another state that does report deaths by county.
The old are both much more likely to be hospitalized and much more likely to be vaccinated. Your analysis is probably confounded by the Florida counties that skew heavily older; they have high vax rates, but their unvaxed get much sicker than average (since they're older than average)

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Good point. That makes sense to me.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Uh, I don't wanna be a grammar nazi, but maybe proofread your texts before you compel others to take dangerous animal meds?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

It's official:

https://twitter.com/MarkCavitt/status/1429800909039616002?s=20

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Full approval means more places can mandate the vaccine without fear of legal repercussion, right?

I think *that's* the real key to boosting vaccination rates. Oh, you wanna go to an NFL game? Get vaccinated. You want to fly? Get vaccinated. You want to work at a job that includes face-to-face interactions with the public? Get vaccinated.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

A Fancy Hat posted:

Full approval means more places can mandate the vaccine without fear of legal repercussion, right?

I think *that's* the real key to boosting vaccination rates. Oh, you wanna go to an NFL game? Get vaccinated. You want to fly? Get vaccinated. You want to work at a job that includes face-to-face interactions with the public? Get vaccinated.

I don't know what the laws are on vaccine mandates, but generally it's corporations that push this so basically yeah what you said in the second sentence

I'm really waiting for the next chud talking point: "Oh yeah the FDA only granted it under political pressure because of BIDEN therefore I won't be taking poison thank you"

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I fell proud knowing that i'm living in the most dewormed America ever.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 23, 2021

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

A Fancy Hat posted:

Yeah, there are probably a decent number of unvaxxed people who aren’t hardcore about it; they just didn’t get jabbed yet because “I don’t feel like it” or “I’m young and healthy”-type reasons. They’ll get vaxxed if it becomes too inconvenient not to be vaxxed because they have no real convictions on the matter.

This won’t budge the death cultists, but of course nothing will. They even jeered Trump recently when he suggested they get the vaccine, lol.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Rad-daddio posted:

Uh, I don't wanna be a grammar nazi, but maybe proofread your texts before you compel others to take dangerous animal meds?

What for, the idiots who will take their (there) advice won’t care anyway

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
They’ll just say something like “Oh, the FDA is corrupt and is actually controlled by CHINA. Look at the bigger picture.”

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
support are dewormers

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

FDA approved? And you trust those guys?? Heh

*squeezes entire tube of goop with a horse on it into mouth*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

explosivo posted:

FDA approved? And you trust those guys?? Heh

*squeezes entire tube of goop with a horse on it into mouth*

Horse means strong :colbert: