Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sab669 posted:

AE86 does absolutely nothing for me. Maybe if I were a weeb who watched Initial D I'd find it cool, but I'm not so I didn't therefore I don't.

:getout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Wait until you guys hear my steaming hot Ferrari takes

The top-half-exposed tail light design on the F430 / 458 /488 is loving awful.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Sab669 posted:

Couldn't agree less :v:

300ZX is easily the ugliest, or at least most bland, generation Z in my book.
First / second gen RX-7? NO THANKS.
First gen MR-2 is actually cooler than the second one, alright.
I'll take four-gen Supra over second/third gen every single day of the week.
Celica...doesn't interest me at all, actually

What else is there? :thunk:

Lol what? The T180 and T200 were sexy as hell.

Also I think the AW11 and SW20 MR2s are both equally awesome in their own ways. Mark IV Supra is so infinitely better than the priors that it hardly merits mentioning. And I love the predecessors.

I’d do unspeakable acts to get my hands on an unmolested lift back GT-four Celica of either gen.

Sab669 posted:

I agree with you here, but I also think Ferrari peaked with the 288GTO so I think I’m an old man with poo poo awesome opinions now.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The GT-Four is cool in the sense that I love rally and I love AWD coupes, but I really dislike most dual-headlight designs such as T200

Money no object and I could have any rally car, without a doubt the Audi Quattro owns bones

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Sab669 posted:

A lot of Ferrari design over the last couple of decades has sucked poo poo though so this isn't that spicy a take.

*edit: I'd never really stared too much at the back of this car but now I'm actually paying attention it just looks a bit of a mess for a Ferrari. general bodywork has a flow but the lights on the diffuser and the shapes as it hits the bodywork are a mess. The 3 exhausts have always looked like poo poo though.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 23, 2021

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

A lot of Ferrari design over the last couple of decades has sucked poo poo though so this isn't that spicy a take.

I think the Enzo might be the last attractive Ferrari. And it’s mostly attractive in a super unique way that I think most people probably hate.

Man, most modern super cars have gotten so over the top that they’ve become vanilla. It’s kind of a bummer.

Porsche seems to have kept it together mostly and the T.50 :swoon:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Whoever compared the new Ford GT's rear to Skippy from StarFox was dead on and it ruined the rear of the Ford GT for me.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

LeeMajors posted:

I think the Enzo might be the last attractive Ferrari.

I read this as 'least attractive' and then I got to 'attractive in a super unique way' and realised I was mistaken. IMO (as is everything, obviously) the Enzo looks like a kit car someone's bashed out in their workshop. It doesn't have any of the beautiful design of previous Ferraris and the FXX version really does show it up for the design not knowing if it wanted to be reminiscent of an F1 car or a modern Le Mans car.

...and now I've looked at the Enzo I'm going to take back my 'a lot of Ferrari design... ...has sucked poo poo' comment because most of what followed after was a lot nicer looking :v:

*edit: I just had to check who designed the Enzo and it was a guy called Ken Okuyama at Pininfarina. His history of Ferrari designs seems to have been to oversee design on the ugliest ones possible. The least offensive one, the 456 is the best looking because it doesn't have the weird bugged out lights a lot of their other Ferrari designs have had.

And this is the coolest looking Ken Okuyama team Ferrari (and even this isn't that hot).

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 23, 2021

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I read this as 'least attractive' and then I got to 'attractive in a super unique way' and realised I was mistaken. IMO (as is everything, obviously) the Enzo looks like a kit car someone's bashed out in their workshop. It doesn't have any of the beautiful design of previous Ferraris and the FXX version really does show it up for the design not knowing if it wanted to be reminiscent of an F1 car or a modern Le Mans car.

...and now I've looked at the Enzo I'm going to take back my 'a lot of Ferrari design... ...has sucked poo poo' comment because most of what followed after was a lot nicer looking :v:

I actually like the Enzo, but I get the criticism. I think its unique at least. :shrug:

The 458 looks pretty cool (the rear end kinda sucks though) but basically everything else has gone crazy trying to look like a loving spaceship.

poo poo, just give me a 308GTS so I can cruise around like Magnum PI.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

LeeMajors posted:

I actually like the Enzo, but I get the criticism. I think its unique at least. :shrug:

The 458 looks pretty cool (the rear end kinda sucks though) but basically everything else has gone crazy trying to look like a loving spaceship.

poo poo, just give me a 308GTS so I can cruise around like Magnum PI.

The Enzo is absolutely unique, yeah. Definitely wouldn't be my pick for most attractive but it certainly stands out against the rest for better or worse!

I've always dislike the 458's headlights, they look like those old cartoons where a sleepy character stretches and tapes their eyelids open in an attempt to stay awake. I'm not a fan of vertical headlights, it's why the Nissan GTR front end looks so bad in comparison to the conventionally handsome R34. The 458's general shape is pretty nice but the features on it kinda ruin the overall look for me.

And a 308GTS? Can't knock that at all.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

(Sorta) new WRX video, all the clear shots are a sedan. Still has that one weird shot that kinda seems like a hatch/cuv body but I'm convinced it's just camera weirdness.

https://www.subaru.com/2022-wrx

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Wow that video is awful. So many cuts and so much post-processing.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Everybody I talked to who drove the non-STI VA WRX said it was quite numb, with dead steering, a weird shifter and lots of rev hang, and pretty slow considering the competition. And we all want the wagon back of course.

I wonder what they’ll fix on the new one…on one hand the new 86 twins look to be a big upgrade over the old ones and they show that Subaru can still tune a chassis to be fun if they feel like it. On the other hand we all whined for a WRX wagon and they never gave it to us, and they had no problems selling the outgoing WRX in its current form.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

They will change just enough, or bare minimum to get by. And people will love them for it
That way, the next 10 years are easy peasy when it comes to improvements or changes.

2024: +3 HP. New exterior colors
2025: Suspension tweaks. New spoiler.
2026: +3 HP. New Carbon Fiber bits here and there.
2027: Nurburgring edition. New badge. Suspension tweaks. +$8K cost
2028: +3 HP. New exterior colors
2029: repeat the cycle above.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

LeeMajors posted:

I think the Enzo might be the last attractive Ferrari.

If you want an Enzo in a more conventional body you can go hunt for a Maserati MC12. I do concour that anything after the 575 is just a mess of body lines that could be mistaken for a ridge racer car with a better render quality, I remember the car journals of the time clamoring about a generational change at pininfarina which I think wasn’t for the best.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 23, 2021

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

SlowBloke posted:

If you want an Enzo in a more conventional body you can go hunt for a Maserati MC12. I do concour that anything after the 575 is just a mess of body lines that could be mistaken for a ridge racer car with a better render quality, I remember the car journals of the time clamoring about a generational change at pininfarina which I think wasn’t for the best.

The MC12 was a weird thing because it was a racecar version of the Enzo even though Ferrari was supposed to be the racecar brand and Maserati the douchebag brand. The MC12 engine uses timing *gears* while the Enzo uses more conventional timing chains.

I grew up in an otherwise podunk town called Calgary, Alberta in the early 2000s and one of the town characters was a guy who drove an MC12 regularly from the southern US (NC I think) and back. I saw it on the street a number of times, it had already racked up like 100k kms or something at that point. Also I rented a room in ahouse in a nondescript suburb full of $500k houses (Coventry Hills) and regularly saw a Carrera GT parked in the grocery store parking lot.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Throatwarbler posted:

The MC12 was a weird thing because it was a racecar version of the Enzo even though Ferrari was supposed to be the racecar brand and Maserati the douchebag brand. The MC12 engine uses timing *gears* while the Enzo uses more conventional timing chains.

An unwritten legend is that Ferrari didn’t want to race the Enzo on the logic that it could be defeated by other makes so a Maserati would have been “disposable”. Same reason why it was a huge ordeal to get one for journos that wanted to do any comparative reviews, top gear had to rely on a privately owned one(and got the owner blacklisted for a while I think).

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Sab669 posted:

Yea, the Skyline gets better with every generation :shrug:

I AM SUDDENLY MAD AT AN INTERNET STRANGER

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I didn't even see that Skyline take. The GTR looks like poo poo compared to the old ones. The concept for it looked better than what was released and even that was fairly ropey looking.

They're stunningly capable cars though, ridiculous rollercoastermobiles capable of crushing your body with g-forces.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 23, 2021

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Kivi posted:

It might have something to do with the fact that it was poo poo.

Good turbo diesels built by the Japanase for passanger cars
- uh that Toyota lump they had in Landcruiser and Hilux?
- ??

The Mazda diesel is a very, very good engine as far as driving it goes but it couldn't be reasonably made to meet US emissions standards (at least not without VW style fuckery). It's also somewhat fragile and very expensive to repair when it goes wrong (then so is every other modern diesel).

The old Toyota n/a diesels were the exact opposite, absolutely gutless and clattery but they'd run forever. The modern ones not so much, they're still clattery and can't match competitors for power but they are also much more fragile.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Luckily, Mazda found the funding to create a new generation of diesel rotary engine for use in the European market, by cancelling the NE Miata project

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

are diesel hybrids a thing / will they ever be?

I briefly considered getting a VW something or other in 2017 when I was last car shopping and the high mpg appealed to me but my boomer dad was like “you aren’t a farmer! finding gas stations with diesel will be impossible!”

and then the emissions cheating thing happened
but seemingly every quiktrip around me sells diesel

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The French used to do a few but even at the time they made little sense and now with diesel being a dead end they don't even bother.

That said it wouldn't surprise me if Mazda gives it a go, the above poster may be joking but it's exactly the sort of exasperating thing modern Mazda might do.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
(In the US) I find it pretty rare to find a gas station without diesel.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Volvo has/had a diesel hybrid. No idea if it's any good though.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The Meat Dimension posted:

Sure, but availability isn't the reason diesel is dead for light passenger vehicles.

Even VW and PSA which were about as all in with diesel as possible have conceded.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

The Meat Dimension posted:

This is one of those super weird things I heard all the time growing up. I lives in multiple states and never saw places which didn't have diesel pumps. Are there legit places in the US where you all live or lived that just don't have diesel? And if so, why the gently caress not? Or this some old boomer poo poo from back in the day that got corrected ages ago?

Big Rigs, moving trucks, construction trucks all use it. Seems super weird to have locations that just went "nope"

But countless times I heard "don't by a diesel. You'll get stranded with no option to fill up."

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

ilkhan posted:

I cross shopped a BR-Z and a Mustang GT. It just made zero sense to get the BR-Z once I drove the Coyote.

Same. The BRZ felt slower than an NC1 miata. The S550 5.0L is incredible and I'm so glad I got one.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

BloodBag posted:

Same. The BRZ felt slower than an NC1 miata. The S550 5.0L is incredible and I'm so glad I got one.

You were cross shopping an economy 2 door sports car and a luxury 4 door sedan?

Edit: oh. I’m gonna leave it. :v:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Sab669 posted:

Couldn't agree less :v:

First / second gen RX-7? NO THANKS.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

You were cross shopping an economy 2 door sports car and a luxury 4 door sedan?

Edit: oh. I’m gonna leave it. :v:

Lol that's what I thought he meant at first then I was like ohhhhh

Just say Mustang ok :v:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

BloodBag posted:

I agree with Doug on this topic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJUltR6UYSo&t=1097s

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Random question - any of you guys have opinions of the Tiguan? My friend got rear ended, and subsequently rear ended the car in front of her. Her Rav4 got totaled and she needs to replace it ASAP.

She's been looking at a bunch of similarly sized SUVs, and to keep it under $15K. She linked me a '15 Tiguan but I don't know much about SUVs :v: I did some cursory searching and didn't find any major known issues with them. She's been wanting to get another Rav4 or a Forester but a bunch of the ones she's looked at has either been sold by the time she gets there or has damage on the history.

I don't really know what falls into the "Absolutely don't buy those" category other than like a Rogue lol

as an aside, I know the use car market is hosed right now but it's dumb as hell that a 9 year old 100k vehicle is like $13k+ wtf

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Aug 24, 2021

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You should check out the "what car to buy" thread in BFC. But to address why cars with high mileage are still expensive - the idea that cars explode after 100k miles hasn't been true for over a decade. As long as they receive proper maintenance, most modern cars can probably see 300k miles.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Sab669 posted:

Random question - any of you guys have opinions of the Tiguan? My friend got rear ended, and subsequently rear ended the car in front of her. Her Rav4 got totaled and she needs to replace it ASAP.

She's been looking at a bunch of similarly sized SUVs, and to keep it under $15K. She linked me a '15 Tiguan but I don't know much about SUVs :v: I did some cursory searching and didn't find any major known issues with them. She's been wanting to get another Rav4 or a Forester but a bunch of the ones she's looked at has either been sold by the time she gets there or has damage on the history.

I don't really know what falls into the "Absolutely don't buy those" category other than like a Rogue lol

as an aside, I know the use car market is hosed right now but it's dumb as hell that a 9 year old 100k vehicle is like $13k+ wtf

It's a VW with 100k miles so she won't be able to expect nearly the same reliability that she had with the Rav4 unfortunately. I can't really speak to details as I don't know too much about them, but from doing a quick search she might want to look at the Mazda CX-5. She should be able to get a similar year one in the highest trim with 70-80k miles with that budget. I had a 2015 grand tourer and it was very nice.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Didn't realize there was a "what to buy" thread :v: and yea I know modern stuff can last practically forever, but she doesn't make a lot so even just buying a higher-mileage car that might need rubber stuff replaced sooner than later can be a bit of a big deal for her.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Sab669 posted:

https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/so-i-have-compiled-a-list-of-common-issues-and-remedies-for-the-2-0t.3366758/?id=3366758

The engines also burn oil from the factory and will buildup carbon on the backs of the valves as they are early direct injection engines.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3298776&pagenumber=2

Also the engines won't tolerate any oil other than the special VW approved 50x.xx synthetic so make sure it's only ever had that in each oil change.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

That was the one line of that which made me go "huh? one of the two genuinely good looking ones?"

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
A splitter and flares make anything look good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

i own every Bionicle posted:

A splitter and flares make anything look good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY-pUxKQMUE

(who am I kidding that thing looks :krad:)