Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

DariusLikewise posted:

jesus christ, stop eating at chain places that force you to use qr codes, what the gently caress is wrong with you people

ime it’s more likely at local places than chains. i don’t really eat at chains so i haven’t seen them but a few locals have been doing qr codes for tap lists and poo poo and it’s been great

flakeloaf posted:

sorry you're angry about me agreeing with you, hold on let me pinch and zoom some insults

gonna take a sec though cause pinching and zooming to read text on a menu that wasn't made with accessibility in mind (so, a menu) is pretty hard

:rolleyes:

anyway the pdf menu thing is a separate if related issue and is also stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Rutibex posted:

seems to me they are training you to accept these codes so that they can sneak in surge pricing, or datamine your phone to find you are rich and give you higher prices.

i can't find the article i'm thinking of, but there was a lot of speculation that this was amazon's ultimate plan with their physical bookstores. the furthest they've taken it is serving better prices to Prime members, but that seems like the kind of thing you'd want to advertise rather than hide behind a QR code.

i wouldn't attribute those nefarious ambitions to a local restaurant tho.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Might be pretty fun to add a few extra dots with a marker to every qr code you come across :twisted:

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.

A Russian troll farm posted:

I am in favour of the synthesis position. It is true that blaming individuals for covid going on forever, while actually it's the fault of the bourgeois state, is liberalism. However, you justifying the chili's happy hour suck-and-gently caress while ICUs are being overloaded and nurses worked to the bone is indicative of the total lack of social solidarity of the liberal subject, and is therefore also liberalism. It's all liberalism, and you can't escape it. Only JDPON can save us

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005

Rutibex posted:

what a bunch of nonsense. of course thoughts have material effects on the world maybe you have heard of the double slit experiment :rolleyes:

I swear "materialism" has come a long way since the days of Newton maybe upgrade your understanding if it's going to be the basis of your ethics!

is this a joke, because if not you don't understand the double slit experiment very well. the observed result doesn't change due to some magic attributed to "thoughts", turns out observation is a material process in that observing something involves bombarding it with photons, there's a physical interaction of particles that influences the observed result when the wave function collapses

What you're advocating is the gross oversimplification of quantum mechanics that is used to justify pseudo-scientific bullshit like "what the bleep do we know?!" and "The Secret" and whatever the gently caress deepak chopra is going on about

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Colonel Cancer posted:

Might be pretty fun to add a few extra dots with a marker to every qr code you come across :twisted:

:chloe:

i lolled

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Stockwell posted:

is this a joke, because if not you don't understand the double slit experiment very well. the observed result doesn't change due to some magic attributed to "thoughts", turns out observation is a material process in that observing something involves bombarding it with photons, there's a physical interaction of particles that influences the observed result when the wave function collapses

What you're advocating is the gross oversimplification of quantum mechanics that is used to justify pseudo-scientific bullshit like "what the bleep do we know?!" and "The Secret" and whatever the gently caress deepak chopra is going on about

it was a joke

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
famous for functioning websites that sometimes exist at all, restaurants are the ideal industry to require a smartphone for service

pay via your phone on said website? gently caress no we'll wander over someday with a lil box

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005

just making sure, since it's a common misconception :)

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
hitting earls with friends for dry ribs, this is a twelfth type of liberalism

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

pokeyman posted:

famous for functioning websites that sometimes exist at all, restaurants are the ideal industry to require a smartphone for service

pay via your phone on said website? gently caress no we'll wander over someday with a lil box

See, this is my issue.

The average restaurant managers have the same understanding of tech as the average neolithic hunter-gatherer, and the average restaurant patrons are even worse.

I imagine half of the day of a server will be explaining to people who wont tip how to even use the menu, and repeating "don't worry about the FRIENGDF BEENS #$2201.0021 thats just a glitch. Oh no the boss updated the price to be -1, the whole system went down."

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DariusLikewise posted:

jesus christ, stop eating at chain places that force you to use qr codes, what the gently caress is wrong with you people

it's not chains you luddite it's everywhere

qr codes are good

thread is lib

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

CLAM DOWN posted:

it's not chains you luddite it's everywhere

qr codes are good

thread is lib

stop eating at restaurants what the gently caress is wrong with you

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

sounds like the supercomputers have been working overtime and manitoba has completed its delta modelling and surprise surprise the return of the mask mandate is going to be announced tomorrow allegedly

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DariusLikewise posted:

stop eating at restaurants what the gently caress is wrong with you

you're right i should only support solid local employers like Skip The Dishes and Uber Eats

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

pokeyman posted:

"i would literally give 30% of my business away rather than hire a web dev and pay them a fair wage to build a site that makes it easy for our customers to pay us money"

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

you're right i should only support solid local employers like Skip The Dishes and Uber Eats

yes the only two ways to get food is eating at a restaurants or eating from a restaurant, congratulations on your galaxy brain

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Qr codes are bad imo, just the worst. We need to fight back against having a machine interpreter for daily tasks and communication hth

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DariusLikewise posted:

yes the only two ways to get food is eating at a restaurants or eating from a restaurant, congratulations on your galaxy brain

okay lib lol

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Covid debate status: proletariat bitterly fighting amongst themselves as the policy controlling bourgeoisie laugh all the way to the bank

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I have never seen a QR code menu, that sounds stupid. Some quick googling leads to all sorts of marketing MBAs talking about monetizing customers more effectively with the menu data so yeah that sounds like a total loving nightmare.

One time a store asked me for my phone number and I laughed at them.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Pryor on Fire posted:

I have never seen a QR code menu, that sounds stupid. Some quick googling leads to all sorts of marketing MBAs talking about monetizing customers more effectively with the menu data so yeah that sounds like a total loving nightmare.

One time a store asked me for my phone number and I laughed at them.

i laugh and scoff at the plebs, minimum wage workers, MBAs, all alike

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

CLAM DOWN posted:

i laugh and scoff at the plebs, minimum wage workers, MBAs, all alike

Yes, now you're getting it. It's also a good idea to pretend you don't have a phone when you go to the airport and they insist you download some loving app for everything.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

CLAM DOWN posted:

okay lib lol

yeah this whole "reopening" thing would be a lot easier if they'd finally let us go back to the grocery store, kind of a weird oversight that it wasn't in the first stage, or even earlier imho

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

DariusLikewise posted:

sounds like the supercomputers have been working overtime and manitoba has completed its delta modelling and surprise surprise the return of the mask mandate is going to be announced tomorrow allegedly

Good. Can't wait for the abloo bloo from both the 'covid isn't real' fuckers and the 'Im vaxxed who cares' types.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
I like the convenience of smartphones.

But if I start needing one to go places or do things, then those places and things can gently caress right off.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Lol at u poors that dine at restaurants that give you a choice of dinner.

only the finest prepared meals, curated for extremely delicate flavours , by a Parisian trained chef for moi

At a steep price.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

i cook meals at home and eat them at a big dining table with my wife and kids and dog

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

yeah why don't all of you have a wife, kids, and dog, and big dining table, loving morons

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
when i'm at a bar i want a chalkboard with the list of beers so i can point vaguely in that direction and make noises that sound like words once i'm too drunk to unlock my phone. that is why qr codes are inferior

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

yeah why don't all of you have a wife, kids, and dog, and big dining table, loving morons

if you're not aggressively meal prepping an entire week's worth of lunches and dinners using nothing but twelve dollars of bulk tinned no name brand staple foods how dare you're not a true leftist

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
HA! if you don't work on a collective farm to provide for at least 5 families using only hand tools then you're basically a liberal

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

when i'm at a bar i want a chalkboard with the list of beers so i can point vaguely in that direction and make noises that sound like words once i'm too drunk to unlock my phone. that is why qr codes are inferior

i went to a place in halifax that just numbered all their drinks on a huge board and you just told the bartender the number and size, best system ever

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Kazinsal posted:

if you're not aggressively meal prepping an entire week's worth of lunches and dinners using nothing but twelve dollars of bulk tinned no name brand staple foods how dare you're not a true leftist

loving lib, buying all your food from daddy weston

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

don't be a slave to big yellow

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

enki42 posted:

loving lib, buying all your food from daddy weston

every dollar not spent buying the same thing for twice the price from jimmy pattison is a dollar that can be channeled towards crushing capitalism

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

i buy my bulk cooking stuff from bulk barn but with coupons

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
True leftists just shoplift the most expensive poo poo. Then the capitalists lose money and you get free food.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

if you dont goto superstore and scan everything through as bananas you are doing it wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
I stare at the person manning the self checkout in the eyes as I scan steak as bananas every time.