Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

jjack229 posted:

I played Doom 2016 for about ten hours, enjoyed it but felt like I had enough and walked away. I played Doom Eternal recently and went through the same thing. I liked the games, but only as a ten hour game.

Edit: I also use https://howlongtobeat.com/ for this reason when considering to buy games. I'll still play longer games occasionally, but I am certainly more wary of trying them.

I enjoyed 2016 a lot more than Eternal. 2016 always felt tough but fair. Eternal has a ton of bullshit fights where you can get sniped by some enemy you can't see from halfway across the map. Plus FUUUUCK marauders. I beat Eternal and didn't bother with the extra content because someone here said that if I didn't like marauders, there are several more enemies with incredibly annoying gimmicks like that in the DLC.

It's not that the enemy is particularly bad and if it were a 1:1 duel, it'd be fine but you have to focus all of you attention on them when they spawn and ignore all the rest of the poo poo on the screen or they'll run you down and murder you if you don't keep them stunned. They just don't mesh well with the whole "RIP AND TEAR" game design/flow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
Days Gone was a game I almost didn't finish because once I got through most of the game there's suddenly a point where every mission objective includes eliminating a Horde, which isn't something they let you know was actually doable beforehand.. I went from an abundance of resources (on normal) to scrounging constantly just to be able to have any equipment. There's also apparently campaign-usable rewards for the Challenges that I had no idea about.

As for Doom, 2016 was decent although the last level got kinda repetitive. I never finished Eternal after getting to the last level and unlocking the special gun and realizing it just wasn't good.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The player character of Days Gone is a man who wears a ballcap backwards despite being over thirty years old. That alone prevents from playing it.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

JackSplater posted:

As for Doom, 2016 was decent although the last level got kinda repetitive. I never finished Eternal after getting to the last level and unlocking the special gun and realizing it just wasn't good.

It's crazy good as a stand-alone gun but because it shares an ammo pool with the BFG, it's pretty worthless. Other poo poo they don't tell you is that during the final boss fight, the sword ammo actually infinitely respawns around the arena during the fight(it literally doesn't do this anywhere else in the game). I was operating under the assumption that it wouldn't and that fight cost me something like 12 extra lives.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The player character of Days Gone is a man who wears a ballcap backwards despite being over thirty years old. That alone prevents from playing it.

I never got too far into it, but isn't he also an ACTUAL biker-gang biker? Like...Not just the "dons leathers for the weekend and goes to Sturgis to listen to Smash Mouth and get COVID" type, but a real Sons of Anarchy, three-patch, 1%-er, will kill man for $100 worth of meth biker?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

I never got too far into it, but isn't he also an ACTUAL biker-gang biker? Like...Not just the "dons leathers for the weekend and goes to Sturgis to listen to Smash Mouth and get COVID" type, but a real Sons of Anarchy, three-patch, 1%-er, will kill man for $100 worth of meth biker?

He does seem pretty far into the culture, yeah. Not that it makes much of a difference, because he's shown in the actual events of the game to be a literal slaver. The way he affords supplies is by finding survivors out in the wild and bringing them back to the more established survivor camps. Except one of the camps is a "work camp" with armed guards that won't let people leave, which specifically sends him out to bring in the most promising survivors. Maybe there's a proper reconciliation with that issue later in the game, but at least in the first third it just sort of dances around it in a pretty cowardly way.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Perestroika posted:

Maybe there's a proper reconciliation with that issue later in the game, but at least in the first third it just sort of dances around it in a pretty cowardly way.

Eh, not really. You do get the option of just not really interacting with them, but that's it.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I played through the ME trilogy and am now doing ME:A. It has its share of problems but one thing that drives me up a wall is dialogue when you’re speaking with someone.

The game will make your party/whoever you’re talking to sound further away if they’re far away from you. It’s a neat addition when you don’t think about it too much. The problem becomes when you run up to someone and start talking to them your party members freeze in place (even though you can’t see them most of the time). If you’ve run up to someone and your party is far behind you? Tough poo poo good luck hearing them. They sound far away so it’s hard as hell to hear them if you even can at all. I started playing with subtitles specifically for this reason.

I don’t know why they didn’t have it to where they just snap to your location or keep moving until they’re next to you even if the conversation has started but it’s annoying as hell. Or hell, just make all spoken dialogue the same volume as you/the person you’re talking to regardless of distance.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
After playing 10 Assassin's Creed and 2 Far Cry games, I have a gripe with Ubisoft: please stop taking away abilities that were default in previous games of a series and now making players have to earn them through perks/skill points. For example, in Far Cry 5, the PC comes equipped with a set of binoculars, but in Far Cry New Dawn, you have to spend perks to acquire them. In the AC series it's worse -- at some point (it's all a blur to me now), you lose the ability to drop-assassinate and other basic moves.

Look, it's fun to start a new game and look at your new perk/skill point tree and see all of the cool abilities you'll one day acquire. Seeing abilities you used to have in the last game in a skill point tree is boring and makes the game devs look lazy. These familiar abilities take up spots that could be populated with brand new, exciting perks. And it's pretty much the opposite of fun when you start the next game in a series, feel frustrated for a while playing without your familiar abilities, and then finally spend your hard-earned skill points just building your character up to where you were at the very beginning of the previous game. How does anyone think this would be enjoyable?

(Don't even get me started on no longer being able to loving jump off a building in AC Syndicate.)

Rabbit Hill has a new favorite as of 17:42 on Aug 23, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It’s even dumber in the case of New Dawn because that one does have a bunch of fun/new abilities so there’s no need to add filler stuff like that to the tree.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

jjack229 posted:

I played Doom 2016 for about ten hours, enjoyed it but felt like I had enough and walked away. I played Doom Eternal recently and went through the same thing. I liked the games, but only as a ten hour game.

Edit: I also use https://howlongtobeat.com/ for this reason when considering to buy games. I'll still play longer games occasionally, but I am certainly more wary of trying them.
Do you guys play one level of Mario and think "oh I get it, the rest is just different platform arrangements, I'm good"? Aren't games fun to, you know, play for you?

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Simply Simon posted:

Do you guys play one level of Mario and think "oh I get it, the rest is just different platform arrangements, I'm good"? Aren't games fun to, you know, play for you?

theres a pretty big difference between one level and ten hours

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, a lot of games have a point where you feel like you've seen it all and done it all and the only thing left to do is see it through to the end. Ideally that point you should be about 90% finished, but just as often it turns out you're only halfway through at best. The most recent offender for me was Days Gone. I've played about nine hours of it, and it was solid fun and perfectly competent for that time. But even at that point I'd gotten the impression that I'd seen just about everything the game meaningfully has to offer, and anything more to come would just be variations of things I already knew, give or take some more guns or enemy types.

So I stopped playing after nine hours in a game that's intended to go for something like 30-50 hours.

This is a huge part of it. Generally, once I hit a level cap, get all of the upgrades, or reach the point where getting upgrades becomes unreasonably slow, then the game is done for me whether or not I actually finished it. The game play needs to be exceptional for me to play beyond that, and few games can deliver on that.

I cleared the upgrades in Far Cry: New Dawn in 10 hours. Id say I was about 1/2 to 2/3 through the story because I enjoyed dicking around, but after that, the game was over for me.

The other thing that happens is, well, the point of this thread. When I was in high school, the Burgers they would sell at the lunch counter always had The Thing in them. It was a chewy piece of gristle that, once you hit it, that burger was done. It could be the last bite, could be the first bite, doesn't matter; once you bit into The Thing, that burger lost all appeal.

There is a dungeon late in Divinity: OS2 that cuts the oarty's movement speed in half. Sure, I could cheese it by chucking teleport pyramids around, but that would involve even more inventory juggling in an inventory juggling heavy game. That was The Thing. I haven't picked up the game since.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I quite like Great Ace Attorney Chronicles, but for some really weird reason my body seems to want to fall asleep every time I play it for more than half an hour or so. I think it's because of the nature of the game, reading text in a window with minimal animations - I enjoy the game, I like the stories and I really don't want to fall asleep, but I just doze off if I don't get up and move around for a few minutes. Middle of the day, right before/after dinner, even with a cup of coffee in front of me.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Morpheus posted:

I quite like Great Ace Attorney Chronicles, but for some really weird reason my body seems to want to fall asleep every time I play it for more than half an hour or so. I think it's because of the nature of the game, reading text in a window with minimal animations - I enjoy the game, I like the stories and I really don't want to fall asleep, but I just doze off if I don't get up and move around for a few minutes. Middle of the day, right before/after dinner, even with a cup of coffee in front of me.

That seems more like you thing.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Perestroika posted:

He does seem pretty far into the culture, yeah. Not that it makes much of a difference, because he's shown in the actual events of the game to be a literal slaver. The way he affords supplies is by finding survivors out in the wild and bringing them back to the more established survivor camps. Except one of the camps is a "work camp" with armed guards that won't let people leave, which specifically sends him out to bring in the most promising survivors. Maybe there's a proper reconciliation with that issue later in the game, but at least in the first third it just sort of dances around it in a pretty cowardly way.

For a bunch of quests for the slavers, you go find the escapee and then you let them go and then lie to the slaver woman and tell her the person died.

It's still pretty messed up though, since at one point you rescue a teenage girl, and just give her over to the slavers to live with. She runs off because they treat her like poo poo, then joins an insane death cult and gets killed.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That seems more like you thing.

Oh! It totally is. Its just something that drags down me playing the game, much like a fear of open water while playing Subnautica or something.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Ori And The Will Of The Wisps has autosaves instead of letting you spend mana to save wherever you want! This sucks!

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Gerblyn posted:

It's still pretty messed up though, since at one point you rescue a teenage girl, and just give her over to the slavers to live with. She runs off because they treat her like poo poo, then joins an insane death cult and gets killed.

She doesn't die, does she? She rescues you from the rippers, you convince her to run away, and then she shows up much later as a bounty hunter.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

JackSplater posted:

She doesn't die, does she? She rescues you from the rippers, you convince her to run away, and then she shows up much later as a bounty hunter.

I kind of assumed she did, last I saw her she was trapped with a bunch of angry rippers who wanted to kill her. It's likely she turned up later in a mission I missed. I kind of burned out towards the end and skipped the last couple of story beats.

It's nice that she survived, I felt kind of bad about screwing her over so badly :unsmith:

Gerblyn has a new favorite as of 15:27 on Aug 24, 2021

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Gerblyn posted:

It's nice that she survived, I felt kind of bad about screwing her over so badly :unsmith:

More Days Gone spoilers ahead:

She gets hella traumatized, unfortunately. Captured by Rippers and tortured, then joins them (with all the scars that comes with), almost gets murdered when she saves you, and becomes a bounty hunter hunting rippers to try and cope with the trauma. She's 17.

JackSplater has a new favorite as of 16:09 on Aug 24, 2021

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Red Minjo posted:

I wonder what's going on with that pretty often. Obviously on Steam there's sometimes going to be a case of "oh this can't actually run on my computer," but having apparently tens of thousands of people load up, say, Death Stranding and then not deliver a single piece of cargo or Bloodstained and not get a single shard drop, for examples I've played recently, is bizarre.

A couple pages back, but for PC games some of this can be explained by the use of mods which block achievements. Many players start finding little things they don't like about games early on in a playthough and go searching for a mod to fix it.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

PremiumSupport posted:

A couple pages back, but for PC games some of this can be explained by the use of mods which block achievements. Many players start finding little things they don't like about games early on in a playthough and go searching for a mod to fix it.

A huge majority of people doesn't use mods even in Skyrim etc. so I don't think that has a notable effect.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Another small thing from Days Gone:

You can make and place traps. Notably, proximity mines and remote bombs.

Remote bombs, in practice, are weaker proximity mines. You can detonate them remotely, but they go off automatically if an enemy gets near them, so there's no real point in trying to set up an ambush with them. They also do less damage and have a smaller explosion than proxy mines.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Kennel posted:

A huge majority of people doesn't use mods even in Skyrim etc. so I don't think that has a notable effect.

I don't have any statistics on mod use, but I do know that I have very few achievements on my Steam account due to the use of mods in almost everything I play. If I'm not mistaken there are even some games that turn off achievements if you elect not to allow their cheat detection monitors to run on your system. I don't play multiplayer so I generally don't let them monitor me if given the option. So it's not that I'm not playing the game, I'm just not getting credit bragging rights for playing the game.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

JackSplater posted:

Another small thing from Days Gone:

You can make and place traps. Notably, proximity mines and remote bombs.

Remote bombs, in practice, are weaker proximity mines. You can detonate them remotely, but they go off automatically if an enemy gets near them, so there's no real point in trying to set up an ambush with them. They also do less damage and have a smaller explosion than proxy mines.

A remotely detonated bomb that goes off when something gets nearby anyway seems... questionably useful.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
When achievements first became a thing, it turned out a shitload of people rarely if ever finish games, and devs apparently all lost their minds over it and that's why every blockbuster AAA game desperately tries to drag you to the credits by any means possible.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

If they were really serious about that, every game would have a "Will you help us?" "No" *END CREDITS* option early on.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Bussamove posted:

A remotely detonated bomb that goes off when something gets nearby anyway seems... questionably useful.

I tried googling it, but no one seems to mention it happening to them. Maybe my game is messed up, but it's happened every time I've loaded it up.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Captain Hygiene posted:

If they were really serious about that, every game would have a "Will you help us?" "No" *END CREDITS* option early on.

It's like that Skyrim mod where the executioner gets to kill you, and none of the events of Skyrim happen.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
but than stuff like Far Cry, Super Paper Mario, and probably a hand full or low dozen number of examples wouldnt be unique anymore.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

JackSplater posted:

I tried googling it, but no one seems to mention it happening to them. Maybe my game is messed up, but it's happened every time I've loaded it up.

No im for sure it happened to me. I never looked it up because I assumed it was just a misnaming and that they meant proximity mines but put remote detonation. I dont think i got far enough to get actual proximity mines.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

PhazonLink posted:

but than stuff like Far Cry, Super Paper Mario, and probably a hand full or low dozen number of examples wouldnt be unique anymore.

Yeah I love it when it happens, but I don't actually want it to become anything more than an occasional funny goof.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
The ratio of physical weapons to energy weapons I’ve found in Mechanicus is super out of wack. I’m still using my machine gun from the beginning of the game on some guys since I just can’t find any other non-melee or flame related physical weapon.

And why are flames so effective against necrons? They are literally machines, the T-1000 wouldn’t care about being set on fire.

moosecow333 has a new favorite as of 17:28 on Aug 25, 2021

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

moosecow333 posted:

The ratio of physical weapons to energy weapons I’ve found in Mechanicus is super out of wack. I’m still using my machine gun from the beginning of the game on some guys since I just can’t find any other non-melee or flame related physical weapon.

And why are flames so effective against necrons? They are literally machines, the T-1000 wouldn’t care about being set on fire.

T-1000 literally got destroyed by too much heat though.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Jet fuel can melt steel bots

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

moosecow333 posted:

I don't know warhammer stuff but if they've got computer brains those usually don't fair well with the heat.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Hardcordion posted:

I don't know warhammer stuff but if they've got computer brains those usually don't fair well with the heat.

They also don't usually do too well with being buried underground for centuries, or, y'know, dying, but neither of those seem to stop them.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

moosecow333 posted:

Is it a flame weapon or a melta weapon? I know melta is good on them in the tabletop but that’s because it’s like an armor-melting plasma flamethrower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Real-life flame weapons are very effective against vehicles and machines, because they spray burning liquids that contnue to burn as it flows through vents and into delicate places.

Flame weapons have become better against Necrons on the tabletop since they started just doing a number of hits to the unit, instead of hitting everyone under a template.