Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

We've now reached the last part of the last book, which is pretty wild considering that we still have 230 strips left (the first 2/3rds of the last book was 113 strips).
That seems to suggest that we will again start following the book much closer like in the first two books which were almost 1:1.

Joonas Perttilä hasn't appeared in the comic, but has been the main character in few of the book's chapters. He is honest and a bit naive young man, who is shocked when he realizes how corrupt the politicians (including his relatives) are.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Haifisch posted:

I came back because I was informed in Discord that there was a strip missing from MW and :cripes:

Friday 1979 comics

...No? Glass is remarkably tough when it's cut and shaped into tiny pieces, such as those needed to simulate diamonds. It's not as tough as diamond, sure, but there's a pretty good chance glass fake diamonds will not break even when smacked against the floor.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Haifisch posted:

I came back because I was informed in Discord that there was a strip missing from MW and :cripes:

Friday 1979 comics

One thing I learned from reading all the entries in the Encyclopedia Brown Encyclopedia, it's that "If an Encyclopedia Brown story ever mentions that a stolen object was insured, the answer is almost invariably that the theft was faked for insurance fraud."

This seems poorly thought out, though. Wouldn't the Insurance Company take the shattered necklace (I mean, even shattered diamonds would still be diamonds and worth something) for appraisal, and immediately discover that it was glass?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 8/22/01

The Adventures of Tom Taylor, Paparazzo 2/6-8/47

Smokey Stover 12/27/42

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Nov. 17, 1946)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (December 6, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (December 6, 1999)

Garfield Classic (December 6, 1989)

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "212 - Jucika's Shakedown Cruise"

"213 - Jucika Is Jealous"

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

I like this one mostly for reminding me about Pyton.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple: Clotted Crime Part 1 - Brassic

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad Site
Steeple Website

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! August 29, 1918

Outbursts of Everett True October 6, 1918

Gay and Her Gang October 7, 1929

Oaky Doaks March 9, 1936

Mopsy May 8, 1937

Up Front June 20, 1944

Dark Laughter April 24, 1948

Those Were the Days December 9, 1953

Wee Pals November 27, 1965

Dogbert April 9, 1966

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days December 9, 1953

Who will save the poor Husbands who have to do things by themselves Q_Q

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Kavak posted:

Joking aside, I'm not sure if I should appreciate Holbrook for understanding that Transgenderism wasn't a punchline in 2003 or stop trying to think out his metaphor car crash before it hurts.

In a way it's impressive that he started out with a clumsy but clearly well-meaning transgender metaphor and has since moved on to two other ones that are considerably worse in every possible way. I'm not one hundred percent sure he even knew what transgenderism was in 2003 or if the parallel is just accidental.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Dec 10, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 14-15, 1989)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

Uh, you're not going to be able to pick up a buckeye with that thing. And also, you can't eat them, so why did you plant a tree?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Haifisch posted:

Friday 1979 comics

maltesh posted:

One thing I learned from reading all the entries in the Encyclopedia Brown Encyclopedia, it's that "If an Encyclopedia Brown story ever mentions that a stolen object was insured, the answer is almost invariably that the theft was faked for insurance fraud."

This seems poorly thought out, though. Wouldn't the Insurance Company take the shattered necklace (I mean, even shattered diamonds would still be diamonds and worth something) for appraisal, and immediately discover that it was glass?

That's the deception -- he wants the insurance people to think the real diamonds walked out the door and all he has left is a worthless decoy. And if the insurance people wanted to examine it, that's where the second fake comes in -- presumably he would have made the switch before presenting it as the one the robbers had recognized as a fake and thrown on the floor.

Of course that doesn't answer why he hadn't already made that switch before showing it to the chief of police and his genius kid. Or, even easier, why he didn't just use both fakes when staging the actual burglary: one to be brought out first and rejected, one to sit in the safe and be stolen, with the real one already safely hidden away somewhere, perhaps long beforehand.

Come to think of it, who are the robbers, anyway? There are a couple of conspirators in this plot that you have yet to catch, kid. Well, whoever they are, the owner is clearly in kahoots with them, so why not just have them "steal" the actual diamonds and remove the need for an elaborate ruse with glass fakes in the first place?

Getting mad about Encyclopedia Brown ITT.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

How to tell your mom her baking sucks without telling her it sucks.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

The phrasing here makes it sound like the air itself is gone! Encyclopedia Brown And The Case of The Vanished Atmosphere Followed By The Mass Suffocation of All Life on Earth.

Classic Zits

Sylvia

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

Getting mad about Encyclopedia Brown ITT.

AND ANOTHER THING

There's nothing but Encyclopedia's say-so for the existence of this second fake, or for what he intended to do with it. All the guy has to say now is "Let me look at that necklace with my magnifier... oh my god, you're right, these ARE the real diamonds! There must have been a mixup in all the chaos of the robbery! I guess those criminals weren't so clever after all, eh? Thank you, THANK you, little boy, my precious diamonds are safe and I didn't even know it." His insurance fraud scheme is ruined, but at least he isn't going to jail.

Folks, I'm starting to think this mystery story wasn't very well thought out.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
In today's MiniSec Ecocide Museum, duelling portraits of a relationship.

2007 gives us "Love means telling each other off to your faces." (October 29-November 2)

The thing that makes me sad about MiniSec today: Muppet Baby Nikko's criticism of the early anti-war protests (that is, "pick a topic and stick to it") was basically my criticism of the anti-war protests.

The second Iraq war triggered one of the largest days of protest in American history, and you could watch a feed of it on C-SPAN, but if you tuned in, instead of a united front, the picture it gave the world was the post-millennium left pulling in all directions at once, dozens of causes fighting for attention...and also "stop the war". Even without two decades of hindsight, all that scattered energy was kind of sad to watch. And result was that the war ended when it drat well felt like it.

But that's just my memory. I've been wrong before.

Speaking of sad things to watch, 2010 goes back to a recurring theme of interpersonal relationships: telling brazen lies to the people who trust us most. (November 29-December 3)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 23, 2021

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Doomykins posted:

Jucika "212 - Jucika's Shakedown Cruise"

Jucika has the needle-work of a goddamn riviter.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Robert Storm Petersen, or as he was ususally called: Storm P.
was a danish cartoonist who did not at any point think about what his pen name would sound like in English.

(Fish balls, for those not familiar.)

I'll try to translate and post whichever is on https://stormp.dk/ that day, until they either start looping or I get lazy.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Weembles posted:

You all can't think of anything that happend in the last year or two that would make previously mundane social interactions noteworthy?
:doh: That's probably it, yeah.

F Minus

Mark Trail

I'm kind of glad these two are forming a friendship.

Mary Worth

"You're over that cat bullshit, right?"

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
She should probably see a therapist. Maybe suggest it when she's not holding a grenade launcher.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Phantom should have more storylines with his cooler, more dangerous girlfriend.

quote:

Mary Worth

Dear God I don't ask you for much but if the cat could somehow ruin or eat all of Wilbur's BBQ that'd be great, love Doomy

Johnny Walker posted:

Mark Trail

I'm kind of glad these two are forming a friendship.

Same. It's fun writing. If this story doesn't swerve into a third relationship from Mark's past then the strip will hit a nice stride despite early bumps.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
IIRC, Larson's comment about this one was that it was important that one of the apes be sucking an empty glass onto his face, because he was good at that as a child.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Kind of looks like Ham Shears on the bags there.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Powered Descent posted:

That's the deception -- he wants the insurance people to think the real diamonds walked out the door and all he has left is a worthless decoy. And if the insurance people wanted to examine it, that's where the second fake comes in -- presumably he would have made the switch before presenting it as the one the robbers had recognized as a fake and thrown on the floor.

Ah, okay. Guess I misread it.

In the books, this is "The Case of the Stolen Diamonds" from Encyclopedia Brown Finds His Clues (1966).

Based on info from the Encyclopedia Brown Encyclopedia tumblr, In the original version of the story, the entire mystery is cooked up by Encyclopedia for Chief Brown to stage as a fake crime to liven up the annual meeting of the state's police chiefs. Only four of them were able to solve the mystery, and probably Chief Brown would also have failed if he wasn't in on the whole thing.

I think there might be a later book where the mystery is rewritten as something that actually happened, but I might be misremembering, or that the Van Dyne name is used on a different jewelry theft story.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 23, 2021

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: Going to the tree blossom festival (1935/18)

Our first one with a bit of text. It's a rare occasion, I'm thinking I'll probably provide translations below panels.

And now here's a regionalism I know a bit about.

To begin with, these appeared in a local Berlin newspaper, and it would have been implied that Vater und Sohn were local characters as well, but this is an explicit confirmation. Any Berlin citizen would have been familiar with the annual Tree Blossom Festival in the town of Werder, some 30 miles from the center of Berlin. Werder is quite famous for its orchards, and the blossom festival, first held in 1879 - as a marketing event - quickly became famous as a destination for the people of Berlin to see the trees blossom and, not least, sample the locally made fruit wines. Which are lovely and sweet and you drink them like water and you only realize they kick like a mule when it's already too late.

I used to live in Potsdam, between Berlin and Werder, and you quickly learned to avoid the trains at all cost during the festival because in one direction they were full of rowdy Berliners with all intent to get absolutely braindead plastered on fruit wines, more likely than not already having a few on the way, and in the other direction they were full of Berliners who had done so and were now in various stages of fighting, consciousness, and voiding. It must have been that much worse in Werder itself, a small town with a population of 25.000 that would host hundreds of thousands of people for the festival.

You'd think it was such a gentle event, watch some tree blossoms and have a few sips of a nice local tipple, and it really deserves better than being near Berlin. The town seems to agree. They were already planning to radically scale down the festival when Covid hit the scene, and I guess once it's back on we'll see if they come down on the side of sticking with the plan or of "Covid's over, people want somewhere to let loose, and we're absolutely desperate for the tourist cash".

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Blueberry: Blueberry is a very light sleeper, or Red Cloud and Sitting Bull (Maȟpíya Lúta and Tȟatȟáŋka Íyotake, respectively) were contemporary leaders of the Lakota peoples, who would have been around at this period of time (so I guess it was actually supposed to be the real Shi-ka-She in the earlier adventures). In fact, I believe this is supposed to be a fictional impetus for Red Cloud's War - which was the greatest defeat for the U.S. government against a Native people's population, at least until Sitting Bull and Crazy Horse (Tȟašúŋke Witkó) one-upped him at the Battle of Little Bighorn , or Blueberry gets framed

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Johnny Walker posted:

"You're over that cat bullshit, right?"

The cat is going to start pestering them for a taste of delicious forbidden People Food and it's going to piss him off all over again

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

EasyEW posted:

The thing that makes me sad about MiniSec today: Muppet Baby Nikko's criticism of the early anti-war protests (that is, "pick a topic and stick to it") was basically my criticism of the anti-war protests.

The second Iraq war triggered one of the largest days of protest in American history, and you could watch a feed of it on C-SPAN, but if you tuned in, instead of a united front, the picture it gave the world was the post-millennium left pulling in all directions at once, dozens of causes fighting for attention...and also "stop the war". Even without two decades of hindsight, all that scattered energy was kind of sad to watch. And result was that the war ended when it drat well felt like it.

But that's just my memory. I've been wrong before.

Up here in Portland after 9/11 there were some folks trying to rile up hate against local Muslims (rather, asnyone who looked like they thought Muslims looked because that's how bigotry rolls). Fliers being spread around town, stuff like that. So a counter-rally was planned to show support for our community. That was the only message that was going out during prep, don't let the bigots claim the silent on their side, pull together, stand up for our town, stuff like that.

Come the actual day war talk had started and it had become an anti-war rally with all the speakers focusing on that. I'm sure my friends and I weren't the only ones there for a different reason but we were lost in the crowd and told "this actually matters" when we tried to bring it up. Last protest I ever attended, I have a lot of respect for people who can still find the passion and purpose but it broke me and I can't just let other people have my voice like that any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Bruceski posted:

Up here in Portland after 9/11 there were some folks trying to rile up hate against local Muslims (rather, asnyone who looked like they thought Muslims looked because that's how bigotry rolls). Fliers being spread around town, stuff like that. So a counter-rally was planned to show support for our community. That was the only message that was going out during prep, don't let the bigots claim the silent on their side, pull together, stand up for our town, stuff like that.

Come the actual day war talk had started and it had become an anti-war rally with all the speakers focusing on that. I'm sure my friends and I weren't the only ones there for a different reason but we were lost in the crowd and told "this actually matters" when we tried to bring it up. Last protest I ever attended, I have a lot of respect for people who can still find the passion and purpose but it broke me and I can't just let other people have my voice like that any more.

Yikes, it sounds like you had the rug pulled out from under you. It's not like "stop the war" and the "he looked like one" war at home weren't connected, either.

I hope it didn't sound like I was shrugging off the type of experience you ended up having. My couch potato hot take on aiming too wide shouldn't overrule a shoes-on-pavement experience, or disqualify the slap in the face that "we'll get to you later"-ism can be.