Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also make sure to talk to achilles every single time you see him because if he's got other poo poo to say it all takes priority over the conversation about weapon aspects

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I unlocked the Rail aspect that turns it into a laser but it is tough to get it to blow up the special bombs because it locks on to enemies. It seems pretty powerful if I could just get it to target the dang bomb!

I assume there is a control option for autotargeting or something?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

For those of you that aim for certain builds, how successful are you? I haven't bothered taking a god's trinket after I maxed them all, except for Chaos, and I just let things come as they can. It's worked well, though on my last spear run, I almost lost.

Also what did everyone aim to upgrade first? I think I only used keys on weapons before targeting the mirror. On the mirror I definitely went for Death Defiance and Dash, and after that I just sort of went for what I could afford at the time.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Also what did everyone aim to upgrade first? I think I only used keys on weapons before targeting the mirror. On the mirror I definitely went for Death Defiance and Dash, and after that I just sort of went for what I could afford at the time.

That's the correct order as far as I'm concerned. Death defiance and dash I'd consider critical mirror upgrades but the rest really depends on what you're having most trouble with right now or what appeals to you. The one thing to be aware of with titan blood is that you need to spend 5 of it in the same weapon to unlock that weapon's hidden aspect, so you want to make sure to do that for all of them before sinking a lot of blood into any one weapon.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

That's the correct order as far as I'm concerned. Death defiance and dash I'd consider critical mirror upgrades but the rest really depends on what you're having most trouble with right now or what appeals to you. The one thing to be aware of with titan blood is that you need to spend 5 of it in the same weapon to unlock that weapon's hidden aspect, so you want to make sure to do that for all of them before sinking a lot of blood into any one weapon.

Yeah, I upgraded quite a few of them as quickly as I could. I began doing the Titan Blood grind as soon as I could honestly, and frankly the prophecies help a ton. I think I'm upgraded Zag bow next (to get my final prophecy which neither Chiron nor Rama give) and Nemesis Sword because as fun Arthur can be it's sort of one-note.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

100YrsofAttitude posted:

For those of you that aim for certain builds, how successful are you? I haven't bothered taking a god's trinket after I maxed them all, except for Chaos, and I just let things come as they can. It's worked well, though on my last spear run, I almost lost.
Pretty successful, once I realised how boons were given out. Basically the Gods will always prioritise filling out your core abilities (Attack, Special, Cast, Dash and to a lesser extent Call). So if you want to focus on getting a specific ability - let's say you want Dionysus to give you something with Festive Fog on your Cast - in Tartarus focus on getting all your abilities apart from Cast filled out from other Gods and then select the Dionysus keepsake for the second world and you will almost certainly be offered one of Trippy Shot/Flare.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

also make sure to talk to achilles every single time you see him because if he's got other poo poo to say it all takes priority over the conversation about weapon aspects

This is basically the only "before you play" advice that matters. Talk to achilles every time. Secondarily, get the +HP or +Death defiance trinket. Will get you to your first clear faster.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Mescal posted:

This is basically the only "before you play" advice that matters. Talk to achilles every time. Secondarily, get the +HP or +Death defiance trinket. Will get you to your first clear faster.

This, but also get the harp as early as you can and play it before every run. No gameplay benefit, but you have to practice on that thing for a long time before you get the next bit of dialogue in that side-plot

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Now that I am pals with Charon after getting beaten up by him and his oar his hourglass thing has some special added bonus, but I think I have to level it up to 3 stars first? Not sure.

Do I get these special bonuses by giving people ambrosia when they are at max hearts (or have a lock on the next heart?)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I think everyone has different paths to special bonds (that make their keepsakes better.)

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Oh get out! Forming bonds and getting the character portrait on their trinket improves the trinket?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

No, it just puts their picture and a quote on the keepsake in the UI. The only way to strengthen keepsakes is to level them to 3 by doing what it says on them.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Oh lame Splitting Bolt seems to have a cooldown. Got it on Aspect of Chiron with Lightning on Special.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Lightning is a deceptively lovely choice on Charon's special for primarily that reason.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
You only get one zap from chiron special anyway

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

priznat posted:

Now that I am pals with Charon after getting beaten up by him and his oar his hourglass thing has some special added bonus, but I think I have to level it up to 3 stars first? Not sure.

Do I get these special bonuses by giving people ambrosia when they are at max hearts (or have a lock on the next heart?)

You don't but you get a cool drawing! I've just got Achilles and Patroclus left to do, with 1 and 2 hearts respectively. I will get their faces!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Half of Dracula posted:

Also lame

Thankfully just vanilla Chiron already melts everything.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

You don't but you get a cool drawing! I've just got Achilles and Patroclus left to do, with 1 and 2 hearts respectively. I will get their faces!

oh dang I thought it got an additional bonus. Ah well still worth doin' for the faces!

I just got the full credits ending and man, what a quality game. Great tune and end montage. Great ending. Supergiant sure know how to make a well polished game that's for drat sure.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Save all your nectar for death. You won't regret it.

The god.. not the concept.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

War Wizard posted:

Save all your nectar for death. You won't regret it.

The god.. not the concept.

And when you unlock Bouldy you can give it a nectar each playthrough for a random bonus.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Half of Dracula posted:

Not true. You don’t get one for every arrow but you get 3 or 4. It’s not a great boon for Chiron but it is viable

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Off the top of my head, Ares is the only one that truly doesn't work on Chiron's special, but you can pick up a supporting boon that fixes that.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

check out this absolutely braindead build that just happened

literally just holding down the attack button to clear out 90% of enemies effortlessly then pressing special to take care of whatever's left. completely overkill DPS with just the attack, the Absurdly Big Number on the special was just the cherry on top here.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Finally unlocked the hidden aspect for the Gun and yikes. I’m hesitant to call it bad but it’s definitely rough. Its single target damage is pretty good but it locks you in place and it really struggles against lots of enemies, so much so that I’m not sure how you’d use it effectively without Zeus on attack. I think you’re supposed to use the special for AoE damage but it’s soooo slow. And it has a control issue too: You want to use auto targeting to lock on to enemies but if you do that then it’s hard to pop your own bombs from your special.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I have no idea how to use the special but I’ve found it to be one of the more fun and devastating weapons in the game tbh especially with the additional range hammer

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Starting to be able to pretty consistently make it close to, or all the way up to the final fight, if not always making it entirely through. Chancing on a few builds that just absolutely shred enemy life bars has certainly helped. My current goals right now are to try and get one clear with all weapons before I start messing with heat, unlock all the aspects, and work on people's heart levels.

Just a few other little notes from recent runs

- Giving the one boss a nickname and then actually having it change the Vanquished flair just about killed me.
- HP Regen + Shield is a little broken, huh?
- Spear so far has been the premiere Just Absolutely Go Ham On Enemies weapon for me, but the bow and gun are pretty close.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

The apparent budding romance with Thanatos is completely out of left field and nonsensical, given that he's a dismissive cock toward Zag and Zag seems to give him nectar grudgingly like you give a hated coworker donuts. If he had charm and they had banter instead of just a crappy relationship it might make some sense. It was especially surprising to me since I had been under the impression that they were half-brothers. I don't know, maybe there was foreshadowing to it that I missed.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Mescal posted:

given that he's a dismissive cock toward Zag

See, this is what we in the biz call a tsundere. At least, I think that's what they were going for - the brooding big scythe goth boyfriend who can't express his feelings properly but slowly opens up to you.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I think what you're missing about the dynamic:
they don't dislike each other, the early interactions aren't the norm, the player just stepped in the middle of things. Than is throwing a fit because he cares for Zag and thinks this whole thing is self-destructive.

On the other hand they are brothers, even if it isn't by blood and they both know it by the time Zag decides to leave, they were raised as siblings, so that's weird. I guess it's par for the course for greek gods though.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

RatHat posted:

Finally unlocked the hidden aspect for the Gun and yikes. I’m hesitant to call it bad but it’s definitely rough. Its single target damage is pretty good but it locks you in place and it really struggles against lots of enemies, so much so that I’m not sure how you’d use it effectively without Zeus on attack. I think you’re supposed to use the special for AoE damage but it’s soooo slow. And it has a control issue too: You want to use auto targeting to lock on to enemies but if you do that then it’s hard to pop your own bombs from your special.

I don't know the specifics but I feel like the hidden gun had a thing where it started in beta testing ticking way faster than it does now causing it to be obscenely broken with Zeus, and then after that was nerfed the aspect has just been quite meh all around since then. At least I remember watching Haelian play with it on day 1 of it dropping in beta and it vaporizing enemies with Zeus attack, which it very much does not do now.

Similarly hidden bow aspect released into beta bugged I believe where any Hermes special attack speed boon made it special like 3x faster, which made stacking up the special the best build for it, and now the special on the hidden bow kind of sucks to build around.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Mr. Prokosch posted:

they don't dislike each other, the early interactions aren't the norm, the player just stepped in the middle of things. Than is throwing a fit because he cares for Zag and thinks this whole thing is self-destructive.

On the other hand they are brothers, even if it isn't by blood and they both know it by the time Zag decides to leave, they were raised as siblings, so that's weird. I guess it's par for the course for greek gods though.

I mean, Persephone is Hades' niece so yeah, that kind of stuff isn't really a worry anyway

the gods are all sorts of hosed up

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think if you have Zeus on Hidden Gun's Special, it causes the bombs to detonate almost immediately after you set them. Makes it easier to use.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Garrand posted:

Thread title: HADES - the gods are all sorts of hosed up

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Garrand posted:

I mean, Persephone is Hades' niece so yeah, that kind of stuff isn't really a worry anyway

In Hades they just throw the word “foster” in a lot to get around this. Like Zeus is Demeter’s foster brother and so on

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
yeah, idk how you can say it’s completely out of left field given how Than is supposed to be on the surface doing his job and instead he’s basically giving you freebie rooms. poo poo’s awkward specifically because they care about each other and Zag just decided to break out of Hades one day and Thanatos only found out after the fact.

Imho in the grand scheme of things Megera is more awkward cause man does she really NOT like Zag initially

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
basically you start the game at the lowest point in his personal relationships save for Achilles and Nyx.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

christmas boots posted:

In Hades they just throw the word “foster” in a lot to get around this. Like Zeus is Demeter’s foster brother and so on

I think that really only applies to Demeter. All the other Olympians except Aphrodite are related. Ares/Athena/Artemis/Hermes/Dionysus are Zeus' kids, and Poseidon/Hades are their uncles.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Mr. Prokosch posted:

I appreciate how the game both skirts the worst aspects of the gods but also makes it pretty clear that these are not people, we shouldn't expect them to behave as such. It gives them a sort of otherworldliness.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
In the original telling the parents of Zeus, Poseidon and Hades are brother and sister and their grandparents are mother and son. Aphrodite was born of Zeus' grandad getting his nuts cut off and thrown in the sea.

So yeah, it's all a bit messed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Getting that Poseidon/Dio duo that gives you awesome boons early in the game is ridiculous. Plus I had Long and Auto-Jab hammers for the Spear, so I was just sitting back and holding down that button while swimming in the effects of a dozen epic boons plus several duos.

And now I'm starting my highest heat level yet 11, going on an 11win streak with Eris' Aspect. First hammer I get? Boosts attack a touch and homes in on the victims.