Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Oxxidation posted:

it’s especially annoying because so many of the anime’s shortcomings are due to its budget being redirected into those braindead movies

like, one is fine, but do you really need an annual release of a movie that’s essentially a 90-minute explosion? we already have the MCU for that

The Demon Slayer movie's insane financial success seems to be incentivizing people to make more 90 minute explosion movies, not less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean the Demon Slayer movie was an adaption of a comic arc wasn't it? So surely that would instead incentivise studios to do like a 90 min explosion movie of MVA or something and not original content.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I mean the Demon Slayer movie was an adaption of a comic arc wasn't it? So surely that would instead incentivise studios to do like a 90 min explosion movie of MVA or something and not original content.

Specifically, you're right, but the takeaway here would be "gigantic bombastic anime movies based on existing properties can make huge amounts of dollars".

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-323/chapter/23079?action=read

Uraraka is good.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I know it's not the intent but I do love that the framing of the last panel seems to imply it's Uraraka, not Deku, who will become the ultimate hero.

Do it Horikoshi you coward

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

I know it's not the intent but I do love that the framing of the last panel seems to imply it's Uraraka, not Deku, who will become the ultimate hero.

Deku has seven quirks, but none of them make up for his lack of GUNHEAD MARTIAL ARTS.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

kidcoelacanth posted:

Deku becomes the Ultimate Hero... the one who supports the Ultimate Heroine, World Savior Uravity

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ultimate Hero like First Gentleman

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

kidcoelacanth posted:

That's 100% the meaning I got. Wouldn't make a lot of sense with the framing of the story but yeah

quote:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

kidcoelacanth posted:

My Hero Academia Manga Thread: Do It Horikoshi You Coward

Because we've had the old one for how long at this point?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Itll end up as Dekus ultimate self sacrifice in the final battle against OFA inspires an entire generation(s) of heroes leading to a new Golden age of general heroics to replace the old All Might based system (quote me in two years when i'm proven right)

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Eri learns how to use Time Kompression, and One For All wielders from the past, present and future plant a garden or something I haven't played FFVIII in a little while.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
She compresses time and summons Deku's All Might figure to fight for her because he died in her timeline and it's all she has left of him

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

oh jay posted:

Eri learns how to use Time Kompression, and One For All wielders from the past, present and future plant a garden or something I haven't played FFVIII in a little while.

Everyone in 1-A grew up in the same orphanage.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Everyone in 1-A grew up in the same orphanage.

Their parents feel kind of bad about it, but the savings on insurance was too good to pass up.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Really with the fight we just had with Deku vs 1-A, I think it's more of a FF9 situation

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Did someone use a monkey's paw to wish for a shonen anime that has decent summer movies? Is that what's going on with the anime right now?

Manga's been absolutely on point these past few weeks, though.

kidcoelacanth posted:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
How is the movie btw? All I know is that it's been out for at least 2 weeks now.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

How is the movie btw? All I know is that it's been out for at least 2 weeks now.

Did it even get a western release/subbed at all yet? I haven’t been able to find anything at least

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Larryb posted:

Did it even get a western release/subbed at all yet? I haven’t been able to find anything at least

No, it hasn't gotten a western release yet, that usually takes a few months with these movies.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rhonne posted:

No, it hasn't gotten a western release yet, that usually takes a few months with these movies.

Do we know what the general reaction to the film among the Japanese fanbase is like so far at least?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Larryb posted:

Do we know what the general reaction to the film among the Japanese fanbase is like so far at least?

Quick search says that it's the highest grossing film in the series and has gotten mostly positive reviews. So they seemed like like it a lot.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I really liked Heroes Rising, so I hope it's more of that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rhonne posted:

Quick search says that it's the highest grossing film in the series and has gotten mostly positive reviews. So they seemed like like it a lot.

Well that’s some good news at least

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I knew that the end of Heroes Rising couldn't stick, but it got me good. It was a really good contrast to how loud and triumphant the finale of the first movie was too.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I knew that the end of Heroes Rising couldn't stick, but it got me good. It was a really good contrast to how loud and triumphant the finale of the first movie was too.

It would have been a very bold way to end the Manga and I can see why Horikoshi nixed it. A lot of people complained it was just bright flashing lights and it didn't make sense but who cares its an anime about dudes punching people as hard as they can.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

serious gaylord posted:

It would have been a very bold way to end the Manga and I can see why Horikoshi nixed it. A lot of people complained it was just bright flashing lights and it didn't make sense but who cares its an anime about dudes punching people as hard as they can.

I think these two sentences contradict each other

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I liked that Heroes Rising had focus on more than a handful of characters and it's a bit disappointing to see them go down to an even narrower character focus than the first one.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Two Heroes did what the main series should've done and stuck half the class in a locked room, it would be minimum 6/10 for doing that

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Also the names of these movies absolutely suck for differentiating them

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It's...it's called Two Heroes.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Waffleman_ posted:

I liked that Heroes Rising had focus on more than a handful of characters and it's a bit disappointing to see them go down to an even narrower character focus than the first one.

What do you mean? Deku, Bakugo, Todoroki, and Endeavor. That's all four characters.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

It's...it's called Two Heroes.

The movie that focuses on 10 heroes is called Two Heroes, the movie that focuses on two heroes is called Heroes Rising

It makes perfect sense, really

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Also you'd think the movie about fighting up a tower would be called Heroes Rising.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I for one respect Horikoshi's continued pushing of Todoroki as well as his steadfast refusal to make him interesting

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Todoroki's (and the rest of his family's) relationship with endeavor is interesting at least, even if he himself is not.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I do like the Endeavor stuff, Todoroki as a character himself just bores me to tears

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
he had a strong start and then became the hitsugaya of mha

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Todoroki has some great moments and his deadpan stoicism can be pretty funny. "I'm like some sort of Hand Crusher", "My smile will kill ladies???" and "Nasty scar you got there" are all classic lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nephthys posted:

Todoroki has some great moments and his deadpan stoicism can be pretty funny. "I'm like some sort of Hand Crusher", "My smile will kill ladies???" and "Nasty scar you got there" are all classic lines.

And who can forget "SLLLUURRRPPPPP"?