Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Help them not waste a turn doing it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Give them a magic cape that billows and plays the song automatically whenever they're in danger

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

denimgorilla posted:

A common magic item of a brooch that plays sound when interacted with seems entirely reasonable here.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

denimgorilla posted:

This. Theme music is cool, let them do it for free.

Real UK Grime
Jun 16, 2009
Make it cost a spell slot.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

P-Mack posted:

help how do you handle a player wasting the first turn of every encounter to cast prestidigitation to play their theme music

Actually play the theme music in real life.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

P-Mack posted:

help how do you handle a player wasting the first turn of every encounter to cast prestidigitation to play their theme music

I'd give them a magic item that let's them do that particular task as a free action.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pinwiz11 posted:

I'd give them a magic item that let's them do that particular task as a free action.

then have a fairy king steal the item because he is jealous of the sweet theme :twisted:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

P-Mack posted:

Give them a monster with one HP and an AC of 0 that in turn does 1000 damage in one hit.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I super disagree with the free action item. Let them continue to spend their action to use Prestidigitation to start their theme song, and then give them inspiration. They used a resource (their turn) to take an action that has clear narrative implications (they get pumped up when they hear the theme music), so reward them for it. It's great.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

P-Mack posted:

To chime in I don't see the problem? To chime in I'd give it Inspiration or an Aid Other effect.

Real UK Grime
Jun 16, 2009
Make it use their concentration.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Yeah, I would kill for a player who was so into the schtick that they did that.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Do we have a SA DnD Discord?

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Yeah, don't make it free, that basically erases it from the game. If anything lean into it. Let them track down the three animated instruments of power that they can attune with, that will play their theme song even more epically in battle and give them some sort of buff.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

i would tell them about the bard class

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Lol even though I was spoilered on the insta-kill blessing trial in Auril's castle in Frostmaiden, I still tried to do it anyways. Got an 18, my druid froze into a statue, and he was only revived because the warlock asked his patron to bail me out in exchange for something that necessitated a private conversation with the DM. Now I have an indefinite madness from nearly dying

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

P-Mack posted:

Ah you don't your player is great.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Double post but 2 questions:

1) How many "main" NPCs do you peeps think is too many for the "hub town" I've for 5 major ones atm and wanted to add a 6th but I don't wanna overwhelm the story or party.

2) In LMoP with a 2 person party do you think knocking them to level 2 just before they do Cragmaw Hideout is appropriate, or would it be better AFTER?

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Two PCs only is gonna be a tough fight for the hideout.

I'd definitely start them at level two, give them a hearty breakfast with +tHP or someone to cast the Aid spell on them.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Let them meet Lem Stoker, gnome evoker, from upthread. I'm still working on getting that guy into my current campaign, he seems awesome.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Splicer posted:

Question to the floor: If during D&D combat someone said "I'm rolling athletics to rip off the dragon's head, instantly killing them" would you let them roll? Why? What would happen on a 20? Why? What about on a 19?

This player is describing an unarmed attack and you should treat it as exactly the same thing.

If you are rolling against a creature to reduce its hit points, that's what an attack roll is.

Real UK Grime
Jun 16, 2009

Gridlocked posted:

1) How many "main" NPCs do you peeps think is too many for the "hub town" I've for 5 major ones atm and wanted to add a 6th but I don't wanna overwhelm the story or party.
I find 1-3 NPCs per major thread works out - at most two significant names antagonising each other, and maybe a third wildcard. If a hub has one or two major story threads, that's usually enough for a party to handle at any given time.

You can dangle a few different threads involving the same NPCs. I think keeping the headcount down is important, as you're likely going to be adding in more NPCs as things unfold, so starting small keeps things manageable.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Real UK Grime posted:

I find 1-3 NPCs per major thread works out - at most two significant names antagonising each other, and maybe a third wildcard. If a hub has one or two major story threads, that's usually enough for a party to handle at any given time.

You can dangle a few different threads involving the same NPCs. I think keeping the headcount down is important, as you're likely going to be adding in more NPCs as things unfold, so starting small keeps things manageable.

Well right now I have got:

Sildar the Sheriff who they will be spending some time with, and who will be finding them the way to Cragmaw Castle. He will pay the party for finding Glasstaff.

Barthan the Innkeeper who runs the inn/supply shop, who will be giving them free lodgings and being an all round happy guy.

Mol the orphan who will point them to the side entrance to the Redbrands and who lives in the inn with Bart. She will also allude to the forest being magical as a lead into the journey to the castle.

Thalia the matron who wruns the Redbrands pub and is the local union leader, who is the secret Zhent agent. She will pay the party for clearing out the Redbrands and attempt to recruit them to the Zhent.

Harbin the rotund and jowly, overindulgent Mayor who will down play all the issues that the town is having; he WILL request that the party go and deal with a Manticore that has come down from the mountain's after it's home was disrupted. This MAYBE a lead into the post-Black Spider quest of killing a Young White Dragon as a further lead into to the Tiamat saga... maybe.

Final NPC is the Sister YetToBeNamed who will send the party to deal with the Necromancer/Banshee and reward them (content designed to be quick and easy for me to throw in when I'm tired and/or the party clear something quickly) with rewards. She will also provide heavy duty healing services if they get serious injury.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Gridlocked posted:

as little as required for the narrative, and as few as possible early on. you can spiral out once the players get more invested if you want, but the more characters there are the less screen time all of them individually get and so the weaker they are.

E: make many of the characters minor if you can get away with it, and promote the characters the players hyperfixate on

pog boyfriend fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Aug 23, 2021

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

I see two options:

A few days a month she turns from a wolfperson who can briefly turn into a wolfier person to a wolfier person who can briefly turn into a wolfperson.

Or

A few days a month she turns from a wolfperson who can briefly turn into a wolfier person to a wolfier person with access to the druid wildshape feature.

The Dresden files book Fool Moon has a really cool distinction between the three. You might find it interesting to read to develop your own sense of how to flavor it. Also it's a super cool modern fantasy book series with a lot of D&D inspiration.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Keep in mind however that it is the worst Dresden Files book and contains werewolf sex and possibly werewolf rape, I don't remember it well enough to be sure.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
How did I post in the wrong thread

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

mango sentinel posted:

Just blame Radium.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

sirtommygunn posted:

Keep in mind however that it is the worst Dresden Files book and contains werewolf sex and possibly werewolf rape, I don't remember it well enough to be sure.

Not rape, just weirdly graphic werewolf sex.

Definitely the worst of the series by a fairly wide margin, though.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Gridlocked posted:

2) In LMoP with a 2 person party do you think knocking them to level 2 just before they do Cragmaw Hideout is appropriate, or would it be better AFTER?

Even if you don't have specific NPCs for every area, having a pool you can pull from anytime is a good side-note thing to have. List of names and general description. If you have those 5 and only use 2, the other 3 maybe show up somewhere else. pog's post is real good: General till you need to be specific.

I can't speak for LMoP specific, but giving small parties the Tough Feat helps things a bit.

mango sentinel posted:

Rolled a nat 1 (-2 posting skill) on your click.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Hey all not really sure where else I could ask this but was looking for feedback on a homebrew adjustment to the Sharpshooter feat for my Armourer Artificer. Our DM is very open to homebrew changes and he is fine with it, but I still want to make sure things are balanced for everyone:

quote:

Armourer has added a charging module to his Arcane Armour's gauntlet, and due to the additional complexity he can now only change Models on a long rest. He gains the following benefits, depending on which Armour Model he is currently using:

Guardian

- Before he makes an attack with his Thunder Gauntlet, he can choose to overcharge the blow, taking a -3 penalty to the attack roll. If the attack hits, he adds +5 to the attack's damage. This special attack can only be used once per round.

Infiltrator:

- Attacking at long range doesn't impose disadvantage on Armourer's Lightning Launcher attack rolls.
- Before he makes an attack with his Lightning Launcher, he can choose to overcharge the shot, taking a -5 penalty to the attack roll. If the attack hits, he adds +10 to the attack's damage. This special attack can only be used once per round.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

acumen posted:

Hey all not really sure where else I could ask this but was looking for feedback on a homebrew adjustment to the Sharpshooter feat for my Armourer Artificer. Our DM is very open to homebrew changes and he is fine with it, but I still want to make sure things are balanced for everyone:

is this a feat? this just seems like bad sharpshooter plus even worse great weapon master. its balanced in that it kind of sucks i guess compared to sharpshooter. if this is just an upgrade you are getting then yeah absolutely this is fine, but if you are replacing an ASI that one attack per round limitation is pretty weak because it doesnt get your multi attack and the melee side is pretty nerfed(and doesnt get AOO either) and i would rather just have regular sharpshooter

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Devorum posted:

Not rape, just weirdly graphic werewolf sex.

Definitely the worst of the series by a fairly wide margin, though.

Yeah... definitely was *not* a fan of that part, in fact I didn't even remember it. The other books are far better, especially the later ones.

Anyways, the shapeshifter/loup garou/werewolf stuff in the book was pretty cool, but on second thought I'd recommend just checking this out and Skipping the book. https://dresdenfiles.fandom.com/wiki/Lupine_theriomorph

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Yeah it's a feat. DM has offered to grant us bonus feats at later ASI points so we still get neat new things without feeling obligated to bump a main stat instead.

Probably good if it sucks? I mean the big tradeoffs are to compensate for being essentially two (nerfed) feats in one, depending on which armour model I'm currently using. Also that there's no GWM/sharpshooter equivalent for 1-handed weapons, which the Thunder Gauntlet is.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

acumen posted:

Yeah it's a feat. DM has offered to grant us bonus feats at later ASI points so we still get neat new things without feeling obligated to bump a main stat instead.

Probably good if it sucks? I mean the big tradeoffs are to compensate for being essentially two (nerfed) feats in one, depending on which armour model I'm currently using. Also that there's no GWM/sharpshooter equivalent for 1-handed weapons, which the Thunder Gauntlet is.

sure, it has some benefits in versatility that partially make up for it. if you are content with it and the gm is i can foresee no issues where this breaks the game more than sharpshooter or GWM will(because you are more likely to miss, only having one attempt is even worse)

Real UK Grime
Jun 16, 2009
If you homebrew something and it's clearly causing a problem, either from power level or whatever, how many tables just change the homebrew, and how many live with it for the rest of the campaign?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The solution to overpowered homebrew is to add ever more powerful homebrew to balance it out :getin:

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Real UK Grime posted:

If you homebrew something and it's clearly causing a problem, either from power level or whatever, how many tables just change the homebrew, and how many live with it for the rest of the campaign?

Good point. We have simply adjusted in the past. The only time we may keep a ruling/homebrew rule is if it resulted in some serious consequence.

pog boyfriend posted:

sure, it has some benefits in versatility that partially make up for it. if you are content with it and the gm is i can foresee no issues where this breaks the game more than sharpshooter or GWM will(because you are more likely to miss, only having one attempt is even worse)

Appreciate the feedback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Rutibex posted:

The solution to overpowered homebrew is to add ever more powerful homebrew to balance it out :getin:

actually correct answer, just buff the rest of your party