Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXErLiSbxXQ

New Helluva Boss episode. Seems like they went all out on the animation this time, drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
Archer is still getting new seasons?! Who the hell is watching it

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

If you didn't see Matt Berry as Mr Deadly on the sci-fi coma season of Archer you... you need to just watch that one episode. It's self contained (really helps if you've watched at least a season of Archer but it can be any non coma season). I refuse to believe the show will top that beyond probably do a touching animated funeral for Jessica Walter.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

BoosterDuck posted:

Archer is still getting new seasons?! Who the hell is watching it

Me! I'm happily watching it in fact! I really liked the most recent season.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
When did we just start taking for granted that animated shows hitting 10 years wasn’t a big deal? I feel like when I was a kid South Park hitting 10 years was a pretty big deal

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Mazerunner posted:

the robosexual marriage one was pretty ok I remember, although very topical to its time. The Bender and Hermes one with Bender's defect was good too I think.

I legitimately hate this episode because it feels like they wanted to make an episode about gay marriage, didn't know where to go with it and just shacked up Amy and Bender. Then dropped it immediately and returned to the status quo at the end.
It was jarring, it's very Principal And The Pauper. It's easily the worst of the rebirth episodes for me.

In other news I watched "Centaurworld" on Netflix today. It's tagged as a kids show but it doesn't quite feel that way to me? It's surreal as gently caress and interesting to watch though. Some really good singing as well. Huge cast of super famous actors - and yet I'd not seen it advertised AT ALL and only noticed it existed because I was looking Paul F Tompson up after he was on Lower Decks.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Taear posted:

I was looking Paul F Tompson up after he was on Lower Decks.

Oh! Was he the green bird therapist? I thought that was him!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Oh! Was he the green bird therapist? I thought that was him!

Yea!
I was trying to find out the voice of the collector guy, all I can think is that it was Nolan North? I feel like IMDB is a lot shittier than it used to be for finding stuff like that out - things take ages to update, if they ever do.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Me! I'm happily watching it in fact! I really liked the most recent season.

:agreed:

although I hope they either end the show or recast Mallory after the end of the season. She's way too integral to the whole group dynamic at this point imo.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Taear posted:

Yea!
I was trying to find out the voice of the collector guy, all I can think is that it was Nolan North? I feel like IMDB is a lot shittier than it used to be for finding stuff like that out - things take ages to update, if they ever do.

It is shittier and it drives me nuts. I hate when there's a voice in a cartoon I can't quite place and no way to figure out who it is.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

It is shittier and it drives me nuts. I hate when there's a voice in a cartoon I can't quite place and no way to figure out who it is.

I sorta wonder if this is down to them not giving a poo poo about stuff that's not on Amazon Prime.
Everyone in the Expanse is noted and done immediately but anything from Netflix feels like it takes ages.

But that surely can't be right because you'd expect the studio to be the one providing IMDB with the cast?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I really didn’t click with Tuca & Bertie’s first season but I’ve caught two episodes of this season and it seems way better written or maybe the subject matter just seems less twee and annoying. The episode was about finding a good therapist and… boy talk about relatable content!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Lower Decks is so much fun.

"Where's Kayshon?!"

"Kayshon! ...when he became a puppet."

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Lower Decks is so much fun.

"Where's Kayshon?!"

"Kayshon! ...when he became a puppet."

Lower Decks is a delight, and I say this as someone has never been a fan of any other star trek thing.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Lower Decks is a delight, and I say this as someone has never been a fan of any other star trek thing.

In a weird way it's actually pretty representative of Star Trek's general vibe so it makes a pretty good gateway into the larger franchise. If you are finding yourself enjoying it you'd probably enjoy some of the other series (particularly TNG).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Taear posted:

I legitimately hate this episode because it feels like they wanted to make an episode about gay marriage, didn't know where to go with it and just shacked up Amy and Bender. Then dropped it immediately and returned to the status quo at the end.
It was jarring, it's very Principal And The Pauper. It's easily the worst of the rebirth episodes for me.

In other news I watched "Centaurworld" on Netflix today. It's tagged as a kids show but it doesn't quite feel that way to me? It's surreal as gently caress and interesting to watch though. Some really good singing as well. Huge cast of super famous actors - and yet I'd not seen it advertised AT ALL and only noticed it existed because I was looking Paul F Tompson up after he was on Lower Decks.

Centaurworld does feel like more along the lines of Tuca and Bertie and Bojack, but doesn't actually have any explicit jokes or lines that'd get it a higher rating. That's probably why it's barely advertised, marketing must have no idea what to do with it.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i finished centaur world and kinda shrugged and said it was ok. the humor never got better or worse, the nowhere king was really visually impressive and then kind of a let down, there were only 3 characters i particularly enjoyed (horse, wamawink, and comfortable doug), i unno if you told me it got cancelled and season 2 wasn't happening i'd probably just instantly forget about it but it was a decent watch

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Centaurworld does feel like more along the lines of Tuca and Bertie and Bojack, but doesn't actually have any explicit jokes or lines that'd get it a higher rating.

There was a vagina joke, and a few other bits here and there. It's a teen cartoon, like Kipo.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

There was a vagina joke, and a few other bits here and there. It's a teen cartoon, like Kipo.

Netflix classifies it as "kids" at least, I can see it as a teen one.

It's weird to me in a world where there's a big fandom of weirdos who like my little pony that they won't ever market a show like this towards adults, or at least 16+ year olds.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
Centaurworld struck me more as a show for cartoon-lovers over a specific audience. The subject matter in places is a bit heavy for a kid's show--mass suicide from traumatic grief, for example--but they're sanitized to a point where they can't be called adult. It's a musical, but its songs are more about recitation in the style of musical theater over the repetition associated with children's musicals, being vehicles for the narrative instead of breaks in it. The contrasting of animation styles and the expectations of them (Horse being unnerved by the more slapstick and nonsensical stylings of the world, etc.) as a source of metaphor and humor is age-agnostic, but is betting on audiences understanding this.

You could say it's more of a teen thing, but it felt to me like it was aiming simultaneously higher and lower. I enjoyed it, but it's a show it's difficult to look at or even watch for a while and definitively declare who it's intended for beyond "people who enjoy this sort of thing."

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The value of children's media is to expose kids to challenging ideas and even scare and upset them, while giving them straightforward fun or funny material to keep them grounded and engaged. When kid's media does a good job - when the challenging aspects are sincere and thought-provoking and the fun elements are well-executed and not cloying or obnoxious - grown-rear end adults start to think that maybe it's secretly made for grown-ups, instead of just by grown-ups.

Problems arise when media remains restrained by all-ages subject matter, tone, and production realities, but the creators are no longer actually making it with kids in mind and are moreso playing to their adult fans. That's how you get, like, Netflix Voltron.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

The value of children's media is to expose kids to challenging ideas and even scare and upset them, while giving them straightforward fun or funny material to keep them grounded and engaged. When kid's media does a good job - when the challenging aspects are sincere and thought-provoking and the fun elements are well-executed and not cloying or obnoxious - grown-rear end adults start to think that maybe it's secretly made for grown-ups, instead of just by grown-ups.

Problems arise when media remains restrained by all-ages subject matter, tone, and production realities, but the creators are no longer actually making it with kids in mind and are moreso playing to their adult fans. That's how you get, like, Netflix Voltron.

I think it's bad to tag it specifically as "kids media" on Netflix though because it's going to end up losing it a LOT of potential viewers
And not market it at all to people who have a huge list of cartoons that they've watched!

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Centaurworld is one of the best shows I've seen in the past 10 years and I put it in the same tier as Over The Garden Wall, Bojack Horseman, Primal, Gary And His Demons, and Gravity Falls.

Does it belong in this thread? Maybe not. None of its content is particularly adult or violent (except for three instances). And yet the main themes deal with trauma, body horror, and suicide.

Adventure Time's influence is undeniable, but I liken it more to Who Framed Roger Rabbit (the non-cartoon Horse is contrasted with Centaurworld which is very cartoon-y) mixed with Alice In Wonderland (playfully surreal with a dark edge).

It's a show with great gags, technical mastery in both music and animation, and subtext that benefits from an adult perspective. All-in-all it's worth checking out.

Also, in one episode the hero has to win the Jellicle Ball.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That deer is a frothing lunatic and often the best part of the show.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I haven't seen the show yet, but I want to take a moment to point out that's a Gerenuk centaur, because Gerenuk's are neat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esyE6HFTq4s

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

She's played by the show's creator too.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

She's played by the show's creator too.

Is that her singing aswell?? I really liked the way she'd start singing and youre like, "wow, thems some pipes!" Immediately followed by her "characters" voice to slip in.

Pretty funny!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Is that her singing aswell?? I really liked the way she'd start singing and youre like, "wow, thems some pipes!" Immediately followed by her "characters" voice to slip in.

Pretty funny!

Yeah I believe so. That bit where she goes from her silly Glendale voice to the voice of the TaurNado was very impressive too.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://youtu.be/dEsiYI_W9CE

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Eh… that was just family guy. That comedian is funny on Twitter, tho, a good follow

amaguri
Mar 27, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

I really didn’t click with Tuca & Bertie’s first season but I’ve caught two episodes of this season and it seems way better written or maybe the subject matter just seems less twee and annoying. The episode was about finding a good therapist and… boy talk about relatable content!

I find it strange that the show seemingly got MORE experimental after moving to cable TV but I think this season has been really fantastic (and it's been renewed for a third season, hooray!)

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
CentaurWorld spiritually has a lot to do with Bone; the fact that it looks like a show for children is a trick designed to make you lower your guard. The world Horse has fallen into is bleak. What passes for society is super cutthroat, things are implied to frequently die horribly, and day-to-day existence is so dangerous that Wammawink literally sealed herself and her friends inside a giant bubble that none of them are allowed to leave. It's still ultimately a show for late teens, but the rainbows and humor are hiding something dark.

It's also really, really pretty. The animation in Non-CentaurWorld is legitimately Disney quality.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Froghammer posted:

CentaurWorld spiritually has a lot to do with Bone; the fact that it looks like a show for children is a trick designed to make you lower your guard. The world Horse has fallen into is bleak. What passes for society is super cutthroat, things are implied to frequently die horribly, and day-to-day existence is so dangerous that Wammawink literally sealed herself and her friends inside a giant bubble that none of them are allowed to leave. It's still ultimately a show for late teens, but the rainbows and humor are hiding something dark.

I mean, yes, but "the world is much darker than the cartoon MnM coating suggests" applies to Avatar, Steven Universe, Adventure Time etc. etc.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I mean, yes, but "the world is much darker than the cartoon MnM coating suggests" applies to Avatar, Steven Universe, Adventure Time etc. etc.

Bone and Centaurworld go a step beyond your examples because they deliberately contrast two very different visual styles, one of which is expected to be inoffensive and shallow but turns out to be far from it within this particular context.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Not to be contrarian but Avatar? I feel like that show does a really good job of making how lovely the the Imperialism of the Fire Nation is really front and center and doesn’t really ever let up as the story progresses.

Adventure Time is the best example of this in terms of animated shows for sure, but I never got the sense from Avatar that there was something sinister lurking beneath the surface, because the evil was clearly in charge and working full time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Yeah, the final season goes out of its way to show that the good people in the Fire Nation makes its systemic evil even worse, because the whole system is set up to stamp that very goodness out, top to bottom. In that way, it's not subtle, nor does it need to be.

A common theme with a lot of 'candy-coloured cartoony exterior hides dark interior' shows seems to be the common theme nowadays of trauma, of people who have a lot more poo poo going on than their cute appearance suggests... which is not to say that their outward personalities are inauthentic or faked, though. We are who we pretend to be.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hell it was a big part of the draw of MLP.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think some shows (cough STEPHEN UNIVERSE COUGH HACK COUGH) lean way, way too hard into the trauma aspect of their characters and that’s how you end up with 5 seasons of wishy-washy crybabies who are just constantly fighting amongst themselves.

Basically Adventure Time was the best example of this cute-and-dark, but more recently… have you ever tried to imagine if Bojack Horseman had just been a cartoon about normal Hollywood with regular people? The animal gags couch the gravity of the drug abuse, the sexual abuse, the emotional abuse, the mental abuse… the show was as dark and depressing as anything else on TV ever had been, but it really understood how to incorporate humor so that you could still breathe.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I really need to get around to finishing Bone. Was there ever a good animated adaptation of it? I vaguely recall there being some on YouTube a million years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I strongly recommend just snooping around your libraries or book borrowing center, last I checked actual copies were INSANELY expensive