Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah, when I first started watching AEW I rolled my eyes when I saw Tony in the booth, because I still remembered him from WCW and was thinking that AEW was going to be just another lovely nostalgia grab.

But turns out it wasn't fair to judge people on how they were in WCW 25 years ago. Tony owns.
There's a lot of people I really didn't want to see in AEW but most of them have warmed up to me over time. Who knew having a good boss and a positive backstage environment would repair people with decades of baggage in wrestling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I loved Tony back in the WCW days. Having him in AEW was a draw for me.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Tony was always good. I won't have you people slandering his name just because you couldn't appreciate him back in the day.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

he wasn't always good. was kinda bad especially when he would be a smarmy prick toward bobby in their weird personal thing. becoming great is better than always being good anyway. it's like skyrim always says. skyrim is the name of the lead dragon in Skyrim: The Elder Scrolls.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/chiitan7407/status/1429737198044123138?s=20

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

But turns out it wasn't fair to judge people on how they were in WCW 25 years ago. Tony owns.

I grew up with JCP so watching Tony's passion for the sport being whittled down broadcast after broadcast in the late 90's was very depressing. I'm glad to see him enjoy himself again.

I think my cap was Sting telling him to give him a hug. :unsmith:

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Tampa Bae posted:

Wrestling needs more lovable goofballs in and out of the ring.

I much prefer my wrestlers who are wholesome, good, fun, nice people in real life over wrestlers who are tough angry badarses.

Nick Gage is the rare exception who is both.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Nice of Chitan to give Darby ideas

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

Darby v. Chiitan moty

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Dawgstar posted:

I grew up with JCP so watching Tony's passion for the sport being whittled down broadcast after broadcast in the late 90's was very depressing. I'm glad to see him enjoy himself again.

I think my cap was Sting telling him to give him a hug. :unsmith:

Same here, I think probably my favorite "Tony Schiavone Reborn" moment in AEW was when Excalibur described Emi Sakura giving Britt Baker a version of the Vader Bomb during their match on the 2nd episode of Dynamite, and Tony was all "They call it the Vader Bomb now? That's so cool!" You could tell he was just super pleased that the younger generation was paying tribute to the previous generation, and a guy whose matches he had called so many times, as well. I think that's when you knew his love of wrestling was in full bloom again.

Also I liked his story of how he first got involved with AEW: he was supposed to go to WWE HQ to talk about getting a job hosting something on the WWE Network, and then got a text from Cody Rhodes, saying "You're not going to WWE" and the rest is history.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Note: Tony told Cody “I’m going to give them a chance, though” and waited months for a response from WWE after his talking to them about the Network job. Heard nothing. Eventually called them, and they were like “what? No, we’re not doing that” as though he had cold-called them about the idea, at which point he called Cody and said “okay, gently caress WWE, let’s do this”.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

The Cameo posted:

Note: Tony told Cody “I’m going to give them a chance, though” and waited months for a response from WWE after his talking to them about the Network job. Heard nothing. Eventually called them, and they were like “what? No, we’re not doing that” as though he had cold-called them about the idea, at which point he called Cody and said “okay, gently caress WWE, let’s do this”.

Ha, I didn't know that part of it. That's even better. :xd:

E: Just another example of WWE practically telling talents to go work for their rival, due to their sheer business incompetence. :v:

kinetic77
Jun 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/dashingchrisbey/status/1429700686187360259?s=21

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Someone show this splash to Sting. I want to know if a tear of pride rolls down his face

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Jesus that Honey Dip Dunk Splash.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Bullet Club was almost Not Fine

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Renaissance Spam posted:

Jesus that Honey Dip Dunk Splash.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/WWEAsuka/status/1429876433883582466

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

gently caress dem kids

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

https://twitter.com/dunkzilladavis/status/1429562043099721730?s=21

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1429877332727287808?s=20

kinetic77
Jun 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/trentylocks/status/1429877870877450242?s=21

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Because of course.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Like... why would you reply to BRITT with that? What are you hoping for?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

that it will be seen by people who like aew and they'll get mad at it

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Gaz-L posted:

Negative replies from AEW fans because you're so starved for attention you stopped being able to tell the difference between negative and positive attention a long, long, long time ago.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Gaz-L posted:

Does he not know who Britt Baker is?

He should she was on NXT in the crowd at a Takeover once when WWE tried to hurt her prospects in AEW by giving her a nameplate and everything.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Gaz-L posted:

Like... why would you reply to BRITT with that?
brain worms

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

IGgy IGsen posted:

Does he not know who Britt Baker is?

He should she was on NXT in the crowd at a Takeover once when WWE tried to hurt her prospects in AEW by giving her a nameplate and everything.

And then Tony was like "Why would I give a poo poo about that?"

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Pylons posted:

Britt Baker posted:

So I’ve always asked ahead of time either the Bucks or Tony [Khan], whoever, I’ve always said, ‘is it okay if I go? It gets to the point where Tony’s like ‘Brit, stop asking me. Of course, you can always go. Why would we not want you to go support your boyfriend? We’re not like a cult, it’s not like you can’t go there. It’s fine,"

I always loved the "we're not a cult" line

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Pylons posted:

And Shida made fun of her for it on the next Raw.

Actually didn't Britt Face become a thing after that for awhile?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jonny Nox posted:

And Shida made fun of her for it on the next Raw.

Actually didn't Britt Face become a thing after that for awhile?

JR?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

:ohdear:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

https://twitter.com/bryanalvarez/status/1429919188299091994

Lol @ "shoot llama"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
it took my brain so long to parse that as shoot instead of shot since that makes infinitely more sense and yet would still be the most bizarre tweet of all time

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

gimmicked llama

worked llama

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I hope for one day my brain to be as hosed by wrestling terminology as Bryan Alvarez.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
llama swerve

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

karmicknight posted:

I hope for one day my brain to be as hosed by wrestling terminology as Bryan Alvarez.

worked handoff is an all timer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

flatluigi posted:

llama swerve

that's an alpaca