Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Waffleman_ posted:

2-5 "Asa Shinn...the assassin." gently caress you.

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ineffiable posted:

It's funny, for terms of padding I think almost everyone agrees that whole GAA1-1 Steak and coin thing was unnecessary padding.

As far as the rest of the cases go Especially once you hit the second game a lot of cases feel longer than you'd expect for an AA game. I think 2-1 was fine but again also a bit longer than usual for an opening case.

Having the split one case for two chapters certainly doesn't help.

I'm glad we still got the GAA Chronicles to give us both games at once. It makes it better when you appreciate it as one very large game.

The ol' multiple day format means the 2nd games' cases at least stay engaging, GAA1's one-big-trial thing can wear you down after a while

Araxxor posted:

Shu Takumi said it got split into 2 games due to being too long for one game yeah.

That does kind of tie into what I want to say about the games. I finished the game and enjoyed it a lot, but a criticism I see a lot of other people make that I agree with is that GAA is kind of bloated, especially compared to something like AA1. There's a lot of overwritten and bloated stuff, with several lines and plot beats that could have been cut down without losing anything of importance and it takes like several hours to do something it would have taken an earlier AA game under an hour to reach. Such as in 1-1 where the steak and the coin segment really dragged out more than it needed to.

Also while I really enjoyed the jury mechanic, it really could kind of be refined better from a writing standpoint because later on I got pretty mildly annoyed by the trials screeching to an abrupt halt because it was jury time.

This sums up my complaints too.

Well that and [end of 2-5]The super triumphant Ryunosuke objection music being used on just calling for Deus Ex Sholmes, though I guess there was no other way to actually resolve the whole evil judge thing.

e: oh and [more 2-5]Ryunosuke and Kazuma being treated as fated rivals when Kazuma is kind of a crappy prosecutor and spends most of 2-4 and 2-5 getting his rear end kicked by Ryunosuke, though I guess we haven't seen him prosecute in a setting that didn't involve him having a breakdown from sheer rage

I actually really like 2-5 I swear

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 23, 2021

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yinlock posted:

Well that and [end of 2-5]The super triumphant Ryunosuke objection music being used on just calling for Deus Ex Sholmes, though I guess there was no other way to actually resolve the whole evil judge thing.
inventing the video call a full century early to own stronghart is an amazing finale imo but yeah i expected there to be a segment where we somehow prove that he's done a murder after all. I think you could've done that (with the new theme being used in the process), he could've still curried favour with the gallery with his "i did it all for Britain!" rhetoric and then you can just put in the sholmes segment more or less unchanged

This is a pretty minor complaint though, as is i already loved the final case so this is more like saying "it owned but this is how it could own even more"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

2-5 Okay the bunny is kinda stretching the suspension of disbelief again

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
One thing I only realized in retrospect about 2-5 that I liked: in the first game, kazuma occasionally trails off ominously in his speeches to ryunosuke, and one of the things it seems like he's gonna say is: he wants Ryunosuke to be a Defense Lawyer [because then he could face him in court as a Prosecutor], very classic Ace Attorney.

But when the assassination plot comes to light, that changes the nature of what he was saying: he wants Ryunosuke to be a Defense Lawyer [so that he'd have his best friend defending him against assassination charges], him becoming a Prosecutor wasn't intentional at all.

It's almost like the Dances of Deduction, in a way. You have one conclusion that seems correct but doesn't quite fit, but then new evidence comes to light that completely turns the whole thing on it's head

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

2-5 Okay the bunny is kinda stretching the suspension of disbelief again

lol

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It would be one thing if the ship was still in London, but all the way to France?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

1-4 Anyone else feel like everyone thinking the victim is dead is one big meta joke about this series only having murder trials?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Holy poo poo I just realized (whole game spoiler) the only reason Stronghart lets Ryunoskue be a lawyer is because he accidentally implies that he's going to kill Gregson.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I just realized, I don't think they ever explained why Stronghart had Kazuma apprentice under Van Zieks.

rosenritter
Feb 22, 2014

Argue posted:

I just realized, I don't think they ever explained why Stronghart had Kazuma apprentice under Van Zieks.

The man loves starting drama.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

2-5 This ship segment is good

E: HOLY poo poo THE DANCE OF DEDUCTION

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 24, 2021

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Interesting thing I noticed in GAA1-5

in the testimony following the first summation, when the brothers say something like "the shopkeeper should have fired his gun instead of yelled", you can actually try to present the print of Gina holding the gun, and get a unique response which doesn't penalize you, though the examination continues

I think this sort of thing very rarely happens in the series, I remember another one is if you named Dessie DeLite as the culprit in 3-2

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 24, 2021

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
If you’ve already finished both games, do yourself a favor and listen to song 29 in the “From the Vaults” music section. It absolutely goes off

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Interesting thing I noticed in GAA1-5

in the testimony following the first summation, when the brothers say something like "the shopkeeper should have fired his gun instead of yelled", you can actually try to present the print of Gina holding the gun, and get a unique response which doesn't penalize you, though the examination continues

I think this sort of thing very rarely happens in the series, I remember another one is if you named Dessie DeLite as the culprit in 3-2

Isn't there a few of those in 1-5? I feel like I've hit like 3 cases of presenting something that does not lead anywhere but still has unique dialogue or even prosecutor interjections just in this case.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I know there was one part in AA1-5 where presenting the handprint cloth too early on a relevant part of Damon Gant's testimony just resulted in a unique reaction where he had no idea what it was, but it didn't result in a penalty. Not to be confused with the part where presenting it a little later, but still too early resulted in an instant game over.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I love how I think I'm at the very end of 1-5 and yet I cannot even understand your spoiler.

I've been playing 1-5 for the better part of 2 weeks. Save me.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Argue posted:

implicate Van Zieks as the head of the reaper conspiracy by having an assassin work under him?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Nanomashoes posted:

implicate Van Zieks as the head of the reaper conspiracy by having an assassin work under him?

or maybe kazuma just kills the guy, either way he satisfies his murderous paranoia while keeping his own hands clean

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
(2-5) So what was Holmes' plan for if Kazuma didn't 'die'? How was he going to convince the revenge-hellbent assassin to not go to Britain?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

ApplesandOranges posted:

(2-5) So what was Holmes' plan for if Kazuma didn't 'die'? How was he going to convince the revenge-hellbent assassin to not go to Britain?

Presumably attempt to keep him away some other way. He wasn't aware Kazuma was on an assassination mission at that time, he thought Kazuma was a target.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Oh yeah I know that much, just more that it was unlikely he'd be able to convince Kazuma not to go to Britain regardless because Kazuma was so hellbent on going there.

Unrelated, but I didn't find this game's Cross-Examination theme as strong as AA1-4's. It's nice and fits the setting, but it doesn't have the same feeling of urgency and pace.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I don't think [2-5] Sholmes had a plan so much as spur-of-the-moment improvisation. He just came across a K. Asogi by happenstance, and figured that he was going to Britain on a study tour, so if he made someone else fill that slot, he would at least be delayed long enough that Sholmes could get ahead of whatever was going to happen to him and Gregson.

Speaking of, also [2-5] is it ever made clear exactly how much Sholmes and Mikotoba know about the big scheme? Mikotoba certainly implies he always knew the truth about the Professor when he talks about how Iris can never know that she's a van Zieks, but have they always suspected Stronghart and Jigoku of being the masterminds behind the coverup and/or the Reaper?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Entire GAA1+2 game spoilers I'm not sure to what extent Jigoku can be said to have "masterminded" anything, when it comes down to it - most of his actions seem to be a direct result of being coerced by Stronghart. The first shady thing Jigoku really does is agree to the jailbreak plan, and from his perspective that was probably the best he could hope for in the situation. After all, whether he thought Genshin was guilty or not, the end result from Jigoku's viewpoint at that stage is Genshin gets to live, they both get to go home to Japan, and he gets set up with a cushy career to boot. Nobody has to die - I can't really fault him for agreeing to that plan. Of course things go sour and now Stronghart has blackmail material on Jigoku, which is why he agrees to the exchange later and takes things into his own hands when that goes south, too. We can probably assume Stronghart was never particularly open about what his endgame was, he just passed out orders to people he could coerce into doing what he wanted.

Mikotoba probably figured out the truth about the Professor when Genshin made him go and fetch Iris. He's pretty smart if nothing else, and between him and Holmes they probably figured out enough of the truth to want to bury the whole story. But there's nothing that passed between Genshin and Mikotoba that really implicates Jigoku in anything (and obviously he hadn't done anything truly blackmail-worthy yet as Genshin was still alive). We have no real reason to suspect Jigoku did much of anything for the next ten years until the whole assassination exchange scheme starts up again. They might have been able to figure out Stronghart had something to do with it though as there are precious few people with the authority to engineer the jailbreak - but on the other hand, the jailbreak was a failure and nobody other than Enoch Drebber was a witness to what happened. From Holmes and Mikotoba's viewpoint, it would have been reasonable to conclude Genshin was simply executed and that was the end of the story.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

I love how I think I'm at the very end of 1-5 and yet I cannot even understand your spoiler.

I've been playing 1-5 for the better part of 2 weeks. Save me.

They were talking about the other 1-5, lol

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

They were talking about the other 1-5, lol

Well that sure was a lifetime ago :corsair: :lol:

Actually that brings me on a tangent, did the games really never reprise Von Karma overruling the judge to make testimonies even more oppressive? I vaguely remember getting penalized just for pressing the wrong statements in AA1-4.

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn

Argue posted:

I mentioned this but Ringo and Nash are A-tier pun naming because they're very British names but ALSO, ringo and nashi are the Japanese words for apples and pears.

When I saw the names at first I thought it was because both are the names of famous members of musical trios/quartets: Ringo Starr and Crosby Stills and Nash. Honestly still convinced that might be part of it, since it fits with how they’re talking constantly about their third brother, and have Eggert as a de facto fourth.

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn

Amppelix posted:

inventing the video call a full century early to own stronghart is an amazing finale imo but yeah i expected there to be a segment where we somehow prove that he's done a murder after all. I think you could've done that (with the new theme being used in the process), he could've still curried favour with the gallery with his "i did it all for Britain!" rhetoric and then you can just put in the sholmes segment more or less unchanged

This is a pretty minor complaint though, as is i already loved the final case so this is more like saying "it owned but this is how it could own even more"

Yeah 2-5 I was specifically thinking for like 20-30 min that stronghart had killed genshin in the graveyard not jigoku, and that he was framing him because jigoku had already been convicted and couldn’t defend himself. I even had evidence set up in my head where I was pretty sure we’d never used Jigoku’s revolver as evidence, and it seemed possible that the number of bullets fired from it after 10 years could be used to establish if he’d actually fired in the graveyard.

Some of that would be a little flimsy as reasoning, but I sorta still like that better than the way it actually resolved.

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos..."
Finished GAA 1-2 and I'm at the very beginning of 1-3. I can't shake the feeling that Kazuma is somehow still alive and is going to make some kind of dramatic reappearance, maybe at the end of 1-5 or at some point in the second game. I can't point to any specific evidence, it's just a nagging feeling that I've missed something that will seem really obvious in retrospect. If true, it's kind of a dick move for Kazuma to make a 15 year old think she accidentally killed someone, not to mention traumatizing his friends and colleagues.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

MiddleOne posted:

Well that sure was a lifetime ago :corsair: :lol:

Actually that brings me on a tangent, did the games really never reprise Von Karma overruling the judge to make testimonies even more oppressive? I vaguely remember getting penalized just for pressing the wrong statements in AA1-4.

JfA has a lot of that in case 3 in particular (including one testimony where you can get a game over if you press the wrong statements), though I don’t think that that’s come up since T&T.

My least favorite thing from JfA was how some testimonies required you to press a statement, then go back and press an earlier statement. The first one with deKiller in particular basically had you have to do that with every single statement they make.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah I like how those things keep you on your toes. Going back to 1-5 it's super neat when they re-contextualize the interruption command to stop the witnesses ignoring the testimony.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Picked this up, got to 1-2, Sholmes is amazing. That is all.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

2-5 Very good that Ryunosuke just goes "gently caress your diplomatic immunity this is a court of law"

wh-where did the witness stand go

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 24, 2021

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Capfalcon posted:

G1-5 early on What a Family Friendly way to talk about Shomes's crippling drug music addiction

Also, whoo boy, this pawnbroker's gimmick is gonna get old when he inevitably gets called as a witness.

On a non-spoiler note, how well is the game selling?

Day one of trial:
welllllllllp, at least I don't have to worry about that!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

2-5 "Unless you were thinking of summoning a ghost to the stand?" Well...

E: TESTIFY! TESTIFY! TESTIFY! TESTIFY!

E2: "I'm ready to head into the heart of this maelstrom" gently caress YOU

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 25, 2021

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
The hell, did they G2-2 premise spoilers retcon in another case just to gently caress with Natsume more

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Waffleman_ posted:

2-5 "Unless you were thinking of summoning a ghost to the stand?" Well...

E: TESTIFY! TESTIFY! TESTIFY! TESTIFY!

E2: "I'm ready to head into the heart of this maelstrom" gently caress YOU
The Maelstrom pun was fantastic, admit it

Tired Moritz posted:

The hell, did they G2-2 premise spoilers retcon in another case just to gently caress with Natsume more
They absolutely did. :allears:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Capfalcon posted:

Day one of trial:
welllllllllp, at least I don't have to worry about that!

I hope you're now ashamed of your words and deeds.

God how am I still not done with 1-5. It just keeps going.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Finished 1-2. What an utterly miserable clusterfuck of misfortunes.

Story was good tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

2-5 A loving HOLOGRAM COME ON

But hell yes get the drat queen in

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 26, 2021