Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

HoboTech posted:

I think in some cases they just think it's fun

It's a multi-million dollar industry precision-designed to milk as much money out of the rubes marksfans as possible, even outside of vtubers, it's not "fun" for anybody who is involved in streaming in any remotely serious capacity, just pure cynical cash-grab aiming at the lowest impulses of the target audience. The really big stars are managed by detestable corporate marketeers, and the smaller ones take their hints from them. It's overall an absolutely despicable form of "enertainment".

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 23:31 on Aug 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Antivehicular posted:

I feel like modding ADTRW is the equivalent of those weird medieval jobs that were all inherited because nobody would freely choose to be a sin-eater or executioner or dung inspector or whatever. It's just kind of a thing that happens to people.

zorak did good and iirc was the one mainly responsible for bringing it to an even keel in the first place

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

zorak did good and iirc was the one mainly responsible for bringing it to an even keel in the first place

Strongly disagree.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.

steinrokkan posted:

It's a multi-million dollar industry precision-designed to milk as much money out of the rubes marksfans as possible, even outside of vtubers, it's not "fun" for anybody who is involved in streaming in any remotely serious capacity, just pure cynical cash-grab aiming at the lowest impulses of the target audience.

Okay but I'm pretty sure people are also having fun, you weirdly aggressive cynic.

edit: also that's true of literally every piece of consumer media produced since the advent of capitalism

HoboTech has a new favorite as of 23:34 on Aug 23, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

i'm still trying to preserve my ignorance about this, but that could just as easily be done by using a screenname and no facecam

except you don't get any hits or make any money that way. so the decision to use a PSX-quality anime girl that winks and giggles to all its adoring fans appears to be a calculated one
i think a lot of 20-somethings, male and female, like anime, and being represented by an anime woman onscreen is appealing to them

theres some degree of marketing to it sure but also people just like that stuff. people having anime avs on twitter isnt calculated marketing they just like anime

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It's extremely funny to me that the anime mod got permaed for slamming the retweet button on every pair of tits that crossed his timeline without stopping to think about the fact that some of those pictures had kids in them.

SA never fails to deliver.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
crazy how this keeps happening

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
Viewers really like the facecam and some streamers are just shy or afraid of doxxing.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

fun hater posted:

the facerig tech is neat but using it exclusively for anime girls is such a waste. i wish more people would get nutty with it. you can put anything in there!

theres a japanese guy who streams shmups as like some kind of raccoon thing and its horrifying

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Just a heads up, when the dust settles from this I’m going to close this thread and retire it and post the new version a few days later, as is the Way of the Saga Thread When Crazy poo poo Happens.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

MotU has a new favorite as of 23:57 on Aug 23, 2021

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mycophobia posted:

theres a japanese guy who streams shmups as like some kind of raccoon thing and its horrifying
one time on twitch i saw a japanese guy who was clearly like 60 years old and had been chainsmoking for fifty years streaming apex with a vtuber rig of kirby, it was great

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
One dude under one of the big vtuber companies is a devil mascot thing

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Now, having said any number of words in defense of using a digital avatar in streaming, yeah there's a huge slice of the VTuber fanbase that is fuuuuuuucked uuuuuuuup and it's loving terrible. I also think is can foster mental illness in those predisposed to it but that's true of any parasocial phenomenon and not exclusive to just anime streaming.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Endorph posted:

one time on twitch i saw a japanese guy who was clearly like 60 years old and had been chainsmoking for fifty years streaming apex with a vtuber rig of kirby, it was great

lol cool

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I remember there was one of those chat programs that swapped out your face for a 3d model and one of the options was like, a giant sandwich with olives for eyes. Somebody v-tube with that plz

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

mycophobia posted:

i love whatever the gently caress this guy is up to

https://www.youtube.com/c/nugumu

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

HoboTech posted:

Now, having said any number of words in defense of using a digital avatar in streaming, yeah there's a huge slice of the VTuber fanbase that is fuuuuuuucked uuuuuuuup and it's loving terrible. I also think is can foster mental illness in those predisposed to it but that's true of any parasocial phenomenon and not exclusive to just anime streaming.
i would advise all people who "get" vtube to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Seriously loving gas the vtuber thread already. I doubt there's a single admin who likes it or even particularly understands it, and you're the ones who will be left holding the bag. You can gas it now, when it's already a lovely thread, or you can do it after more creep poo poo happens and you have to make a QCS post explaining why you didn't gas it already.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

little munchkin posted:

crazy how this keeps happening
What are even the odds?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I think I got it

Vtubers: not made for pedos, but extremely popular with pedos

crabcakes dogg
Aug 8, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

sweet thursday posted:

What are even the odds?

Not much whats even the odds with you lol

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

crabcakes dogg posted:

Not much whats even the odds with you lol
S...senpai

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Ah, Canon in D, I get it now.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Hot Diggity! posted:

I think I got it

the target audience is basically the youtube comments

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

christmas boots posted:

I remember there was one of those chat programs that swapped out your face for a 3d model and one of the options was like, a giant sandwich with olives for eyes. Somebody v-tube with that plz

The first time I saw one of those was like 7-8 years ago, some dude playing CS:GO using a doge model

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

pentyne posted:

At this point if a mod got outed as like an arsonist or a jewel thief I'd be like "that honestly makes them more qualified"

what about tax evasion, election finance fraud, and perjury

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

why is it every time a little digging or inspection occurs with a drama bomb pedo poo poo gets revealed

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hot Diggity! posted:

I think I got it

it's like star trek.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Sham bam bamina! posted:

i would advise all people who "get" vtube to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

Not sure if this real cool comment was directed at me, but the same poo poo happens with almost all online media.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

HoboTech posted:

Not sure if this real cool comment was directed at me, but the same poo poo happens with almost all online media.
its a jokey reference to an old fyad post op, nothing against you

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Endorph posted:

its a jokey reference to an old fyad post op, nothing against you

with so much poo poo flying around it's hard to tell sometimes

all good sham

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

christmas boots posted:

Has more personality for sure

Doomtrain
Sep 12, 2006
A mood train?

Oxxidation posted:

Zorak was okay, until it was one of his SA IRC friends who was "ironically" into little girl anime and then he was a giant rear end in a top hat who dug in his heels and banned people calling out his creep friend. Eventually after a lot of drama the admins finally perma'ed said friend.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Doomtrain posted:

Zorak was okay, until it was one of his SA IRC friends who was "ironically" into little girl anime and then he was a giant rear end in a top hat who dug in his heels and banned people calling out his creep friend. Eventually after a lot of drama the admins finally perma'ed said friend.

...and Zorak too, right?

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Also this, please, for the love of god. This is usually one of my favorite threads on the forums but it’s just killing me today.

Welp, this here sure is a saga.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Overminty posted:

Has more personality for sure

There it is! I've been trying to google this thing and I was starting to think I made it all up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

None of this would have happened if they'd all just used Minions avatars.