Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

Hollismason posted:

What's the difference between a pandemic and a endemic. When they say Coronavirus is endemic, what the gently caress is that suppose to mean?

it means “everywhere” but like in a local sense. when i hear “endemic” i also think “hard to dislodge” but that may not be strictly connoted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Hollismason posted:

What's the difference between a pandemic and a endemic. When they say Coronavirus is endemic, what the gently caress is that suppose to mean?

It means they can declare failure, and that it's not their problem anymore because no politician can be expected to solve an "endemic" issue. Even though previous politicians have mustered the will to run the polio vaccination program, a solution explicitly for an endemic issue.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Hollismason posted:

It's native to the population

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

wilderthanmild posted:

About 370k is the margin Biden lost Florida by. Florida has had about 42k deaths, a chunk of which were of course prior to the election. Probably a long way to go to get there on deaths alone.

I wonder though if there's going to be a significant brain drain from the south because of the covid response, especially with the good job market right now.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Hollismason posted:

It means it's here to stay, no eradication.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/endemic

Definition of endemic (Entry 1 of 2)

1a: belonging or native to a particular people or country
b: characteristic of or prevalent in a particular field, area, or environment
problems endemic to translation
the self-indulgence endemic in the film industry

2: restricted or peculiar to a locality or region
endemic diseases
an endemic species

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I’ve read that Malaria is still the Murder King of diseases, I wonder how COVID will compare

Most opinions I’ve heard say they hope Covid will be somewhat locally contained and managed via regional lockdowns and improved vaccines, but this also gives it opportunity to mutate (which is still not necessarily apocalyptic, it could mutate into a less harmful disease)

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I’ve read that Malaria is still the Murder King of diseases, I wonder how COVID will compare

Not even remotely close. But then it hasn't really been a "rich" country problem since it was eliminated from the Netherlands in the 60s.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

spunkshui posted:

Saw a picture of this and I just laughed.

CHUDs aren't going to think things are serious if a bunch of doctors have time to stand around.

Speaking of CHUDs, we got another one throwing their life away monetarily.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/co...FMYLOJZWJIM56E/

Between this, the medical bills, and the deaths this going to be one broken rear end political party.

This isn't even stupidity. She spent at least a few years of schooling and working to get where she is/was.
She's not stupid.

Just loving brainwashed.

I don't get it. But over the years I've known a few Hare Krishnas and other people that are just purely brainwashed.
Intelligent otherwise but simply refuse common sense.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Nursing Reddit talking about what the southeastern medical system collapse will be like is pretty scary.
https://www.reddit.com/r/nursing/comments/p9wrqu/what_would_a_medical_collapse_look_like/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

At least they’re prioritizing hospitalized breakthrough infection patients over the unvaxxed because the former has a better chance of survival.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Ccs posted:

At least they’re prioritizing hospitalized breakthrough infection patients over the unvaxxed because the former has a better chance of survival.

lol owned

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Ccs posted:

Dying to own the libs

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

wondering if my vaccinated but kidney transplant diabetic wife edges out an unvaxxed obese chud now on the scorecard

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Ccs posted:

I feel so loving owned right now

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Ccs posted:

lol yup same reasoning an active alcoholic doesn't get a liver transplant if a non-boozer needs it. Sidesteps any messy moral judgements, win-win.

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope

Toupee Groupie posted:

Sorry for a serious post.
My wife just found out she has breast cancer at the age of 36. I am beside myself because of it. I am so angry knowing that because of Covid she will be having a hard time getting good treatment and care in a hospital because they are packed with covid patients, and people don't care enough to get vaccinated or wear masks knowing there are people who cannot get sick with Covid at this time. I have spent the past few days just shaking in anger or alternately crying because I am so worried.

I am happy that she will be able to work full time at home preeminently, but that still doesn't help that her parents fell down the anti-vax hole and I doubt they will get vaccinated. I am not pressing the issue right now with my wife, because she wants to be with her mom, who is also a breast cancer survivor. I just feel so helpless right now.

Hey - can't really address the COVID side of this, but my wife (also a goon, who introduced me to SA) was also diagnosed with breast cancer in her mid-30s. Within a week she will be 5-years cancer free.

While it sucks that it's wrapped up in COVID, there's so much more to it. This early in the process it's hard to look ahead. If you need any support or if she would like a young persons support group (because all breast cancer pamphlets have old women and make you feel completely out of place), please don't hesitate to PM me or we can find another way to chat via this thread. My wife has started doing some advocacy work because finding people like her was so hard when she was going through it. It helps to engage with that stuff early. I'm also happy to talk about the stuff you may go through, because it's certainly a ride for both people. It's a marathon now.

Wishing you both the best.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Ccs posted:

Nursing Reddit talking about what the southeastern medical system collapse will be like is pretty scary.
https://www.reddit.com/r/nursing/comments/p9wrqu/what_would_a_medical_collapse_look_like/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

If you listen closely you can hear the Fox news writers typing up all their "DEATH PANELS COME TO AMERICA" chyrons.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Not even remotely close. But then it hasn't really been a "rich" country problem since it was eliminated from the Netherlands in the 60s.
There’s an mRNA vaccine in the works for malaria, too :buddy:

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
Last panel guy owned the libs:

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
So does a breakthrough infection increase immunity as well? Or is it only if you’ve had covid, recovered and then got vaccinated. Trying to look for a silver lining as my province enters the 4th wave fuled pretty much entirely by delta

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

So my Parkinsons and dementia suffering grandmother woke up in a lucid state this morning and complained about chest pain. They have been waiting in the ER for about 8 hours now.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

So does a breakthrough infection increase immunity as well? Or is it only if you’ve had covid, recovered and then got vaccinated. Trying to look for a silver lining as my province enters the 4th wave fuled pretty much entirely by delta

Not an immunologist but it seems logical that your body would create some antibodies specific to the proteins found in the variant you get infected with in addition to the immune response from the vaccine.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ccs posted:

If you read the comments there's a lot of stories about what's happening now that sound brutal

lmao this is a fun site

https://georgiarcc.org/

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 24, 2021

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Just spoke to my sister who’s in Wisconsin, apparently there was a party that required proof of vaccination status and 8 ppl still got breakthrough delta infections. Mostly head cold symptoms but one guy was unconscious for 3 days.

Also Canada Post says they delivered a package to me that had respirator stuff and some medication but someone stole the package or they just dropped it off at the wrong address. Great. The medicine is from Chinese in-laws and if the thief/incorrect recipient eat it without knowing the language or understanding the proper dose they’re gonna die.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Isn't Ivermectin available from pharmacies? Why are the chuds buying horse dewormer from tractor shops instead of getting medical grade stuff from a chemist?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

gay picnic defence posted:

Isn't Ivermectin available from pharmacies? Why are the chuds buying horse dewormer from tractor shops instead of getting medical grade stuff from a chemist?

Because the pharmacies are denying the filling of those prescriptions. So to Tractor supply they go.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I had someone brag about his 100% human-grade injectable ivermectin he got from India or some poo poo. So you know, the smart ones are taking it seriously.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

It requires a prescription, and their doctor isn’t foolish enough to write one.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Waiting for a person to throw earthworms on a pharmacy counter trying to get ivermectin

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Seems that only a lotion form is OTC for humans.

Apparently you pour it on your cow like BBQ sauce:

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=0926E255-3BB9-41D0-A545-C0349F75C850

Pekinduck fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Aug 24, 2021

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Platystemon posted:

It requires a prescription, and their doctor isn’t foolish enough to write one.

They can't just make up some poo poo about having an outrageously itchy arsehole due to an infestation of bumworms? Surely a doctor isn't going to request a closer inspection of some chud's fetid arsehole to confirm the diagnosis.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
for something like ivermectin? absolutely ur doctor is going to ask you for a stool sample. because if you don't need it, and you get sick or you die from it, then doc is about to have an especially unpleasant conversation with their malpractice insurer

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 24, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Alternative theory:

It’s got what horses crave.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Alternative theory:

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Don't Tread on Me (or you'll squeeze out the horse dewormer)

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Platystemon posted:

Alternative theory:

Is this FDA approved?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Is this FDA approved?

For Mr. Ed

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Alternative theory:

I just noticed that a new price sticker has been slapped on that. Did the store increase the price to fleece some chuds?

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Short answer, yes, it should.

Long answer, there could be some weird antigenic original sin that makes some exposure combinations more or less effective than others, but probably not.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Another reason that the Pfizer approval rules the school: Abbott's executive order banning vaccine mandates only applies to EUA vaccines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

quote:

A comprehensive study into overcoming vaccine hesitancy in Australia has found a large proportion of the undecided could be swayed with the use of financial incentives, with takeup almost 12 times more likely if a $500 payment is on offer.

But the findings, contained in a new research paper from Community and Patient Preference Research (Cappre), also show the use of social restrictions for the unvaccinated – such as the inability to travel or attend major events – would be enough for many to change their minds without any need for financial incentives.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...slash-hesitancy