Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Why is the youtube app on my iPhone SE such garbage? My laptop can play things fine but the app, on the same wifi network, loads 5 seconds of video and gives up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Because YouTube is garbage?

They’re being so loving petty right now.

If you watch videos via safari (by forcing desktop mode which also tricks it into allowing PiP and skipable ads), YouTube no longer marks videos as watched. It’ll only do so if you watch via the app or via the mobile site.

I’m not even full mad because it’s so hilariously spiteful.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes YouTube suffers from poor management decisions but that has nothing to do with the app literally not functioning when millions of others are using it just fine.

I'd try a phone restart and see if it clears up streaming at all. Maybe delete and reinstall the app though that's kind of a stretch. Maybe try a different WiFi network to isolate that as a cause.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Thwomp posted:

Because YouTube is garbage?

They’re being so loving petty right now.

If you watch videos via safari (by forcing desktop mode which also tricks it into allowing PiP and skipable ads), YouTube no longer marks videos as watched. It’ll only do so if you watch via the app or via the mobile site.

I’m not even full mad because it’s so hilariously spiteful.

How do you prevent it pushing into the app? Just not have the app installed?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I think what I did was go to YouTube . com in safari, force it to present the desktop-version and then bookmarked that desktop-version (specifically, my subscriptions page).

Whenever I hit that bookmark it takes me right there in desktop mode.

Now, if I use back or forwards in safari to navigate, it breaks the whole desktop mode and returns it to the mobile webpage. I have to close that tab and reload it from the bookmark. Gotta tap the Home or subscriptions side bar navigation links on the YouTube website to move around.

And some videos will just refuse to play in desktop-forced-mode but it’s only like 5% of the time.

(Running an iPhone 12, latest iOS, also running 1Blocker)

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Red_Fred posted:

How do you prevent it pushing into the app? Just not have the app installed?

Next time you tap a YouTube link (in safari), long press and choose “open” instead of “open in YouTube” Safari will default to that until you long press again and choose “open in YouTube” then it’ll start loading the app again.

doingitwrong fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 26, 2021

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Anyone have comments about the "firewall" function of 1Blocker? Debating whether or not it's worth the upgrade.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I'm either going crazy or iOS youtube had PIP enabled for a bit but it stopped working on all my devices for some reason. Anyone know how to get it to turn back on? I do have premium.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

Virtue posted:

I'm either going crazy or iOS youtube had PIP enabled for a bit but it stopped working on all my devices for some reason. Anyone know how to get it to turn back on? I do have premium.

You have to pay for PiP. Not sure if they ever offered it for free but I had a three month free trial and it was pretty great, however I’m not paying this price to keep that extra functionality (this is aussie dollarydoos).

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I pay for YouTube Premium and I've never gotten PiP to work. I know its supposed to be available now, but last I heard Google was selectively rolling it out and were being absolute dicks about it.

YouTube Premium is simultaneously the best and worst thing ever.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Virtue posted:

It worked for me briefly and I’ve never had premium

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

I pay for YouTube Premium and I've never gotten PiP to work. I know its supposed to be available now, but last I heard Google was selectively rolling it out and were being absolute dicks about it.

YouTube Premium is simultaneously the best and worst thing ever.

Same. YouTube-the-app kind of blows, in the same way most Google products do, where they care a lot more about useless redesigns and features nobody's going to use instead of fixing bugs and making the basics work well.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

YouTube is one of those apps that posts an update every other day and nothing changes. Just endless "fixed bugs!!" spam.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
I've been happy with Adguard Pro. https://adguard.com/en/adguard-ios-pro/overview.html

To adblock Youtube you have to use Safari and then share the page to an Adguard function, after that it'll block ads.

https://adguard.com/en/blog/adguard-4-2-for-ios.html

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Is there a way to export a list of any IAPs I’ve made over the years to a specific app (or like a CSV of all my payments with the app listed?)

I’m kinda curious how much I’ve spent on one specific game since I started playing…

Violator
May 15, 2003

Any suggestions for blocking “turn off your ad-blocker” modals that disable a site, “allow cookies?” modals, “sign-up for our newsletter!” modals, and all of the other god drat bullshit that makes so much of the web a pain in the loving rear end to use?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Violator posted:

Any suggestions for blocking “turn off your ad-blocker” modals that disable a site, “allow cookies?” modals, “sign-up for our newsletter!” modals, and all of the other god drat bullshit that makes so much of the web a pain in the loving rear end to use?

My suggestion is to close the tab and never return to that site.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Violator posted:

Better (https://apps.apple.com/us/app/better-blocker/id1080964978) and Hush (https://oblador.github.io/hush/) do a fairly decent job. Most of the modals for cookies are so varied in implementation that I gather it’s hard to effectively bypass most of them without doing a blanket ‘accept all’ automation.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Neurophonic posted:

Better (https://apps.apple.com/us/app/better-blocker/id1080964978) and Hush (https://oblador.github.io/hush/) do a fairly decent job. Most of the modals for cookies are so varied in implementation that I gather it’s hard to effectively bypass most of them without doing a blanket ‘accept all’ automation.

Any recommendations for one over the other?

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Any recommendations for one over the other?

You can use both side by side with no issues. I have done just that for quite some time.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Neurophonic posted:

You can use both side by side with no issues. I have done just that for quite some time.

Is there any kind of performance hit for using more than one content blocker? Or does iOS manage them all in such a way that there isn't a difference between using one and using several.

e: I checked up on this thread because I have been using an ad blocker called BlockBear, which works fine for general ad blocking, but I am getting annoyed by how many anti-adblock messages I see, as well as nag banners like the EU cookie messages. I am going to check out Hush, but based on the description I don't know if it has any features to block anti-adblock messages.

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 5, 2021

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Apple music is driving me crazy. I don't have a large library but it's destroying my mobile data usage every month. I've turned off high quality playback, told it only to library sync over wifi, disabled motion cover art and can't seem to find any reason it would use 5GB of data in a week for 2-3 hours of streaming in the car. I've turned off cellular data streaming for it entirely until I can figure it out.

Anyone have a similar issue and figure it out? Google isn't super helpful, I've tried most of the recommended fixes. I just don't get what the hell it's even doing. I really don't want to go back to Spotify but I can't have this thing hoovering all of my usage up in a week.

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends
The above post reminded me of an issue I had with Spotify while about to fly recently. Had a bunch of music 100% downloaded and it would throw me an error saying not available not downloaded no matter what I did after I flipped it to offline mode. Googling the problem revealed lots of folks with the same problem. I tried reinstalling the app, restarting my phone, deleting and downloading the music again, nothing worked. I ended up using apple music on a free trial :shrug:. Anybody encounter/fix this?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Gunslinger posted:

Apple music is driving me crazy. I don't have a large library but it's destroying my mobile data usage every month.

Argh, that’s pretty crummy. Ive always quite liked that Metro/T-Mobile specifically exclude music streaming from their caps, because yeah that sounds pretty high for something that shouldn’t eat much at all. Hope you get to the bottom of it.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Apparently people are saying that it "updates its own playlists, Beats 1 Radio Show, artist artwork and etc". Again I don't see why this would take up so much of my data but it's driving me crazy. If I disable cellular streaming entirely then I'm stuck with what's in my library and can't use any of the curated lists unless they're predownloaded. I thought I was finally free of the jank after quitting Spotify argh. It is absolutely mystifying why it uses several gigabytes to serve up 3 hours of loving music, especially with all of the quality toggles turned down.

I am at a loss what to do. I tried reinstalling it and all of that last month, no help. Maybe I will just harass Apple Support.

Violator
May 15, 2003

The Gunslinger posted:

Apparently people are saying that it "updates its own playlists, Beats 1 Radio Show, artist artwork and etc". Again I don't see why this would take up so much of my data but it's driving me crazy. If I disable cellular streaming entirely then I'm stuck with what's in my library and can't use any of the curated lists unless they're predownloaded. I thought I was finally free of the jank after quitting Spotify argh. It is absolutely mystifying why it uses several gigabytes to serve up 3 hours of loving music, especially with all of the quality toggles turned down.

I am at a loss what to do. I tried reinstalling it and all of that last month, no help. Maybe I will just harass Apple Support.

I had the same issue on both my phone and my wife’s. Actually came super close to our plan’s data limit and then the next month went over because of the gigs of music that we weren’t even listening to. Makes no sense.

Also had hundreds of megs downloading on both phones over night even though it should have been connected to WiFi.

Ended up just upgrading to an unlimited plan. It’s been so long since I fiddled with my wireless plan that after shuffling some things around I’m coming out the same or slightly under what I was paying so I guess it worked out in the long run and now I don’t have to worry about overages any more.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Violator posted:

I had the same issue on both my phone and my wife’s. Actually came super close to our plan’s data limit and then the next month went over because of the gigs of music that we weren’t even listening to. Makes no sense.

Also had hundreds of megs downloading on both phones over night even though it should have been connected to WiFi.

Ended up just upgrading to an unlimited plan. It’s been so long since I fiddled with my wireless plan that after shuffling some things around I’m coming out the same or slightly under what I was paying so I guess it worked out in the long run and now I don’t have to worry about overages any more.

I'm in Canada and our wireless options are trash unfortunately, I wish I could go that route. I might have to just bite the bullet and go back to Spotify, this is ridiculous. Doing research online it seems like Apple won't even acknowledge the issue which tells me its doing something intentionally by design. Probably downloading gigs of Apple promoted nonsense in the background or something. There's stuff in my music section I don't even listen to!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's no way it's intentional or else every tech blog would be ranting about it.

I and my wife use Apple Music exclusively and we never overrun our 2gb cap. You just got some weird infuriating bug going on.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Anyone know of an app that’s kind of an equivalent of MS Paint? Just something with a selection tool and paint bucket and brush/pencil tools

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Since Chromecast is super picky about what video formats it'll take, and seems pretty bad with subtitles (especially formatting when files with included subs use different fonts), are there any video players on iOS that can live-transcode a video to just send a video feed with hard subs on them to the Chromecast? Alternatively, should a third party screen mirroring app work more or less fine?

I'm using nPlayer right now which is great for watching stuff on the iPhone, but putting stuff up onto the TV is limited by Chromecast itself.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Have you got access to a pc? That’s more desktop vlc territory.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
At home I do, but I was hoping to have it as an option for when I was at a friend's place or something. What I usually would end up doing is running all the videos I'm bringing with me through Handbrake to burn in some hard subs but I'd love to be able to skip that step if I could.

I'd assume iPhones are powerful enough these days to that kind of thing, but it's not really a common enough use-case for there to be a bunch of apps doing it most likely.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Looks like iOS VLC might actually be able to stream to chromecast.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
It can stream to Chromecast but from what I can see, it can’t transcode HVEC into something Chromecast can receive or flatten in subtitles that are embedded in the file.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Question Mark Mound posted:

Since Chromecast is super picky about what video formats it'll take, and seems pretty bad with subtitles (especially formatting when files with included subs use different fonts), are there any video players on iOS that can live-transcode a video to just send a video feed with hard subs on them to the Chromecast? Alternatively, should a third party screen mirroring app work more or less fine?

I'm using nPlayer right now which is great for watching stuff on the iPhone, but putting stuff up onto the TV is limited by Chromecast itself.

This is kind of the perfect use case for Plex. You just need some computer to host your library, doesn’t have to be anything fancy.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

tuyop posted:

This is kind of the perfect use case for Plex. You just need some computer to host your library, doesn’t have to be anything fancy.
I’ve considered that, but there’s plenty of spots still here in Ireland where internet access is pretty shoddy, never mind trying to use it with roaming data when abroad. (Plus I’m way too much in the habit of switching off my computer when I’ll be away for a while!)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

I’ve considered that, but there’s plenty of spots still here in Ireland where internet access is pretty shoddy, never mind trying to use it with roaming data when abroad. (Plus I’m way too much in the habit of switching off my computer when I’ll be away for a while!)

Oh it has offline syncing but that may be a premium feature. The bandwidth concerns are legit. I wonder what would be involved in making a mobile Plex server out of a raspberry pi and hard drive.

Actually I don’t know if you when download an episode and then cast that episode, whether the downloaded version will be what’s cast. Probably not because the downloaded version will be transcoded by the server for the client device.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

The new plex downloads feature is pretty slick and works far better than the old sync feature.

What are people using to add loyalty cards to wallet?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

if spotty internet is an issue, you might just have better luck lugging a laptop or a raspberry pi around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Is there a way to make more than one Hidden photo album with the stock Photos app? Just ended a relationship and I’d like to keep some of the photos (for now) but not see them in my camera roll or the standard Hidden folder.