Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, this happened to me. What colour tablet do you need? There's likely a different path that you missed, I think it's around the lava castle. I don't think there's a way to permanently screw yourself over, just a matter of backtracking and finding the right spot before where you are, which is definitely meant to be found afterwards.

I have no clue. No idea what the lava castle is either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Eschatos posted:

Welp, hit a frustrating snag. Loaded up on a MK3 Cyclops depth module and a ton of supplies, headed down into the lava caves further underneath the quarantine facility, to the deeper facility I'd seen before but been unable to get past the leviathan guarding it. Aaand it's immediately locked, looking for a tablet. Well I used my only spare at the secondary door in the quarantine facility to unlock a single console with another lore entry. I assume this isn't actually the thermal power facility mentioned in the clues section of the codex? That says 1200 meters and this is at 1450. I expect there's some other cave network on the map that I should be investigating instead? I'm not aware of any unless I missed a branching path from the acid river caves that the quarantine facility is part of. Can yall offer a hint? Either where that is or where I can find more tablets.

I think these days the game automatically gives you the blueprints to make more tablets as soon as you pick one up. It used to be you could get soft-locked out of areas if you failed to scan a tablet before collecting it.

They appear under personal equipment or tools or something in the fabricator menu

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Yeah I found the castle, its alien installation, and warped back to the first island to scan the tablet I hadn't realized was scannable at the time.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Eschatos posted:

I have no clue. No idea what the lava castle is either.

Just do what I did and somehow clip through the terrain to fall into the end-game chamber, apparently bypassing an entire level of caves.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Got the win after pretty much 30 hours exactly. Great game, though I was tired enough at the end to skip looking for a bunch of the optional content. Only ever found two of the Degasi bases, and based on the hints section I think I missed a bunch of secondary alien bases. Prob will pick up below zero in a few weeks.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Eschatos posted:

Got the win after pretty much 30 hours exactly. Great game, though I was tired enough at the end to skip looking for a bunch of the optional content. Only ever found two of the Degasi bases, and based on the hints section I think I missed a bunch of secondary alien bases. Prob will pick up below zero in a few weeks.
I also just finished today. Though I took considerably longer. But I like playing "boring" video games while listening to podcasts or while trying to think through programming problems for work. I put in 100+ hours into this game, but my employer was paying me for most of it. I'm not looking forward to going back to the office where I have to stare at Excel to pretend I'm "working" when I'm actually doing proper mental work.

My aversion to spoilers and looking things up didn't help things go any faster. It took me quite a while to figure out how to build habitats. And I had two Seamoths that got eaten early by reaper leviathans, which made me a bit too cautious around them, even when I later had a souped-up Prawn.

Some questions I have:

From what I remember, the orange tablet is only used to gain access to the offsite lab, but there is nothing important in there. It's just some things to scan to get some flavor text. Did I miss something?

One text talks about a single leviathan being unaccounted for during the alien evacuation, and all the rest were killed. I thought the huge fireball-spitting guy outside the primary containment facility was the sea emperor leviathan and was the single survivor, but then you meet the captive one inside. Is that huge thing outside just a rando enemy? Seems weird that a leviathan in a small tank would be "unaccounted for".

I'm also a bit unsure about the disease and alien timeline. Was the disease not on the planet, and the aliens were just going around the galaxy looking for a cure and happened to find the sea emperor leviathan stomach juices? For most of the game, I thought they were drawn to the planet because there was life after a planetary outbreak, but then later it seems like they were the cause of the outbreak when the research facility collapsed. It takes a bit of the sting out of the revelation that the sea emperor chose not to share the cure with them if they weren't infected and desperate themselves.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I thought the emperor point blank stated she tried to share the info with them but couldn’t because their machine brain networking was incompatible with her meat brain telepathy.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Bad Munki posted:

I thought the emperor point blank stated she tried to share the info with them but couldn’t because their machine brain networking was incompatible with her meat brain telepathy.
She says she will give you freely what they tried to take. She also says she tried communicating with them, but couldn't. My impression was she tried being nice in the beginning, but then they started experimenting and killed one of her eggs, so she just went into "gently caress these guys" mode, even though she probably could have found a way to help them get the enzyme they needed.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Degasi saga is my favourite part of this game. If you've beaten the game but still haven't checked out the cinematic trailer, I recommend you do it now. Even if you saw it once before playing, rewatching it after you've been through everything is neat.

It's a cinematic that is set to Bart's final audio log, recorded approx ten years before you crash landed on the planet.

What always struck me with that whole storyline is just how cavalier they are with going so far underwater. Sure, there was some hesitation, but I'm over here making GBS threads bricks because a crabsquid is chasing me in my seamoth, and meanwhile, they're all "So, we're definitely heading 500m below the surface, we'll be fine. Oh, we're here and Bart's bored." The bulb forest or whatever biome it is near their 500m base just fills me with equal parts awe and dread.

Like....fuuuuuuuck, I don't think I have thallassophobia, but I'm at least somewhat anxious about, I don't know, the potential of never seeing the sun again. :ohdear:

Also, with the dad's final log where he talks about thinking that he saw a light below that he's going to go investigate... was that a mesmer?

Edit: actually, you know what that reminds me of? Silent Hill 2, at the historical society/prison, at one point, James sees a big hole, and the game states "you can't see the bottom. Jump in?". And that's what you're supposed to do, but IRL, I'd be literally looking for any other option. Anything. Gah.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Aug 23, 2021

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The Degasi saga is my favourite part of this game. If you've beaten the game but still haven't checked out the cinematic trailer, I recommend you do it now. Even if you saw it once before playing, rewatching it after you've been through everything is neat.

It's a cinematic that is set to Bart's final audio log, recorded approx ten years before you crash landed on the planet.

What always struck me with that whole storyline is just how cavalier they are with going so far underwater. Sure, there was some hesitation, but I'm over here making GBS threads bricks because a crabsquid is chasing me in my seamoth, and meanwhile, they're all "So, we're definitely heading 500m below the surface, we'll be fine. Oh, we're here and Bart's bored." The bulb forest or whatever biome it is near their 500m base just fills me with equal parts awe and dread.

Like....fuuuuuuuck, I don't think I have thallassophobia, but I'm at least somewhat anxious about, I don't know, the potential of never seeing the sun again. :ohdear:

Also, with the dad's final log where he talks about thinking that he saw a light below that he's going to go investigate... was that a mesmer?

Edit: actually, you know what that reminds me of? Silent Hill 2, at the historical society/prison, at one point, James sees a big hole, and the game states "you can't see the bottom. Jump in?". And that's what you're supposed to do, but IRL, I'd be literally looking for any other option. Anything. Gah.

That game section hosed with my head enough that I am still automatically wary of any historical society (before you even consider the likely racism involved some way or another :v: )

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Crabsquids glow.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Seems on release of BZ they added a bunch more of those mesmers to that lower place with the white shrooms and puffballs.
Ended up going with a mod just to get rid of the jerks.
They kinda make me physically nauseous.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
TFW when you cruise past the edge of a cliff and head downwards into the dark, not knowing if you are descending to a new biome or sailing directly towards one of the monsters that guards the edge of the map.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

withak posted:

TFW when you cruise past the edge of a cliff and head downwards into the dark, not knowing if you are descending to a new biome or sailing directly towards one of the monsters that guards the edge of the map.

Scared the hell out of myself doing that, I then managed to clip out of bounds while swimming away which made it worse because objects were popping in and out as far as it was rendering with no water or walls visible.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I love the Cyclops, but I have both clipped out of it (while unequipped at the time to be in the Lost River :gonk:) and have seen one of those electro sharks clip through it. That legitimately startled me, because I didn't know it had happened until I stopped piloting the ship, turned around, and one of those fuckers was staring RIGHT AT ME, wiggling around. Aaaaaah!

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
The first time the big alien telepath'd me coincided with the first time in the game I'd seen a Mesmer, so I sat there for a good 30s waiting for more dialog thinking it was all one thing.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

withak posted:

ngl this absolutely pissed me off, my computer was like "there are multiple leviathans out this way, are you sure whatever you're doing is worth it?" and I thought that meant "edge of the map, do not pass" and couldn't find the cyclops shield for hours until I finally said gently caress it and looked up a biome overview map and realized there was a huge chunk I hadn't realized was in the play boundary

Geodude
Mar 21, 2004

Geodude used Reply to Thread! It's super effective!

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Crabsquids glow.

I interpreted the light/glow he saw deep below was probably the lost river green glow? It breadcrumbs you into looking for different light glow sources to continue.

Also I had the same experience as above: the first time I had the telepathic message it was a bit after I found a Mesmer for the first time. So it did freak me out and I didn't really think it was plot related.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

ngl this absolutely pissed me off, my computer was like "there are multiple leviathans out this way, are you sure whatever you're doing is worth it?" and I thought that meant "edge of the map, do not pass" and couldn't find the cyclops shield for hours until I finally said gently caress it and looked up a biome overview map and realized there was a huge chunk I hadn't realized was in the play boundary

That reminds me: in BZ you can find maps hanging on the walls in the bases that are a big help in figuring out the basic geography. Was there anything like that in the original game that I missed?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
So coming into the OG game very, very late on my backlog- lot of fun but the bugs, wew lad. When the main source of game tension is "being reminded of the inevitable endpoint of your session every time you flip the cyclops camera and see how far your mast has slid"...

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I actually felt like the first game peaked (in terms of environments and awe) at the ghost tree. I hated the lava zone, I crosscrossed that thing in my cyclops a dozen times before finding the geothermal plant, and it was way way too dark- so I had to rely on sonar, which isn't actually super fun imo. My game was also breaking down at this point and huge chunks of stuff wouldn't load properly, including the *lighting* in the very final area before the alien containment. Maybe the lighting in the inactive lava zone was also broken and that's why it was so dark? Dunno.

I had the same "broken lighting" thing going on, which was extremely apparent when I did literally this

Section Z posted:

driving right past it and having to turn around once they reach the final destination instead

and having the bright red lava cave initially and re-ascending to it nearly pitch black because none of the lava effects were happening. Also that draw distance in the last cave, also having to use the prawn suit's grapple hook in every alien installation with a ramp or stairs because "your ability to walk" randomly goes away...

Yestermoment posted:

I know I'm probably Playing Wrong, but I honestly never even built the cyclops until I HAD to to make the escape rocket. Clunking around in just the prawn (Or as I call him, Crab Manager) was enough for me. Although I'm like this in real life too. Never ask me to drive a moving van.

If I had it my way, I would have never given up the sea moth.

I actually went directly to cyclops and slept on the prawn for anything as other than "resource miner" after I hit the 900m seamoth limit near the ghost tree because playing No Mans Sky set me up with expectations about how exosuits are going to feel and I'd rather drive a bus than traverse kilometers of sea bed in something that can't point a flashlight any higher than knee level, even if it can (as it turns out) punch god and win. Also got really good at sprinting off the top of the cyclops in an attempt to get enough horizontal distance to get the game to realize "oh, you're supposed to be swimming" after being launched through the roof many, many, many times*.

Speaking of "playing the game wrong", I was surprised how...nonthreatening? the leviathans ended up being with how talked up the "scary monsters in the deep" aspect of this game is, given that most of them seem to all-but-ignore you in person, you can backhand them with a robot claw in the prawn, and "just turn your engines off lol" in the cyclops. The only time I got grabbed by a reaper was in a seamoth coming out of the aurora wreck and I wasn't sure if it was a scripted event or not based on the timing of it, and when it just kind of tossed me and wandered away without killing me I was like "oh, hunh", repaired my ship and went off in the other direction, and that was that. "Terrible scary skeleton face" aside it felt like they were just big dumb dogs, chasing their tails and looking for toys to play with and only hurting you on accident because they didn't know any better :3:

I wrapped up the main plot and might come back to it with mods, but it's kind of interesting taken as a whole; it felt like a game that was nearly deadass targeted on my sweet spot of open world exploration/base building but was supposed to be a more constrained plot-driven game where you're intended to be laser-focused on scrapping together just enough to survive and dive deeper faster instead of ever actually "settling in", and to that end made the things that you would do in the former sort of game more of a pain from a UX standpoint because it wasn't ever supposed to be that. (It's also possible that I'm viewing it through the lens of "this literally dropped in 2014, moron" and games that have done aspects of it better since then make it look worse in comparison). Between that and the bugs that seem to be laser focused on late-game "things you do a lot just from playing the game" that seem to be unfixed years later*, I'm torn on if it's worth spending more time and effort on or if I should just go dump some more time in NMS to get my "mobile base of operations" fix.

*speaking of these bugs, is there anything in the mod scene that deals with some of these in the vein of all those "unofficial bethesda game patches to make the game playable" mods, or is physics jank just too inherent to the game engine to be fixable? Even something that just says "while you're not at the wheel the cyclops is literally a floating immovable rock" would probably improve things significantly...

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but are leviathons in BZ less dangerous than in the original? Seems like in the seatruck I can just ignore most of them until they attack, then give them a touch of the ol' spicy forcefield to drive them away. They only take off something like 10-20% damage.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Speaking of "playing the game wrong", I was surprised how...nonthreatening? the leviathans ended up being

withak posted:

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but are leviathons in BZ less dangerous than in the original? Seems like in the seatruck I can just ignore most of them until they attack, then give them a touch of the ol' spicy forcefield to drive them away. They only take off something like 10-20% damage.

None of the leviathans in Subnautica and BZ are any real threat at all.

They’re terrifying as gently caress the first time you encounter them because they look like your worst nightmares come to life, but you soon realize they can’t really hurt you unless you go out of your way to be careless.

If you see them, you can outrun them. If they manage to sneak up on you, they’ll take a bite out of your ship and then swim off and let you run away or repair. Their patrol zones are pretty small, so once you learn where they hang out you can easily avoid them. As was mentioned above, as soon as you have the defense module you can just zap them and they’ll go away.

Pretty much the only situation where a leviathan could become a serious threat is if it manages to catch you unaware outside of your vehicle with low health, and the only part of the game where that might reasonably happen is if you should wander off too far early in your first playthrough and try to explore the crash zone with nothing but the seaglide.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

*speaking of these bugs, is there anything in the mod scene that deals with some of these in the vein of all those "unofficial bethesda game patches to make the game playable" mods, or is physics jank just too inherent to the game engine to be fixable? Even something that just says "while you're not at the wheel the cyclops is literally a floating immovable rock" would probably improve things significantly...

As far as i've seen, there are no real mods that are anything like a bethesda mega patch.

withak posted:

That reminds me: in BZ you can find maps hanging on the walls in the bases that are a big help in figuring out the basic geography. Was there anything like that in the original game that I missed?

Not that i've seen. Only in BZ.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

This leviathan talk is completely different when referring to hardcore mode.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
That first message was one of the best game design decisions I’ve ever seen. Scared the poo poo out of me

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I got a mod that ups their aggression and the size of their patrol areas, keeps things spicy in the dunes and near the Aurora :getin:

It has a bunch of other settings too, it’s on Nexus and called DeathRun.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I remember the first time one of them did that to me. loving creepy motherfuckers. Kept doing that roar animation, just no noise.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

One of them followed me into the shallows and I don't know if it got stuck or what but you're on my turf now ya big bastard let me introduce you to the prawn grappling hook and drill. Or maybe I hooked on it and that's why it ended up in the shallows who cares the important thing is don't respect nature and punch it in the face. I'm pretty sure that was the game's message.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

withak posted:

You may have internalized "Shock systems are worthless as a preemptive measure" in Subnautica your seamoth takes a lot of damage from bites while you wait for your shock module to recharge. But if you realize the monsters are running of a canned AI "Will chomp no matter what!" thought process at that point, you can just zap them the second they bite you for "Hardly any damage at all"

Or maybe they eased up on how badly your seamoth can get chewed per bite, and I never noticed due to complacency in "How the shock module really works" and generally more space to actually evade subnautica monsters with the seamoth than the sea truck. Complacency is a hell of a drug, and the cause for a lot of Subnautica's rough edges left in at launch or made worse on purpose :v:

See also: Above chat about driving right past plot locations that used to have plot beacons, removed in the name of "Real explorers will NEVER miss them! So obvious!"

This leviathan talk is completely different when referring to hardcore mode.

I am very glad when a friend of mine finally got the game, they listened to my warnings about "The most likely reason you will die to a monster is if they cheat their way indoors or you no-clip outdoors"

Thankfully their only "Objects not found" was the decorative cubes outside the final location and nothing serious. But yeah, even at it's best Subnautica is not a game you want friends to play on Hardcore mode.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 24, 2021

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Leviathans become much less scary when you know you can just drill their face off. Same with any other fish if they take a bite out of the suit or decide to roar too close.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
I just started playing Subnautica for the first time this past Frida, and am now up to 48 hours of gameplay and considering buying the soundtrack.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Rynoto posted:

Leviathans become much less scary when you know you can just drill their face off. Same with any other fish if they take a bite out of the suit or decide to roar too close.

In hindsight I can also agree the early shark type in BZ is a real pushover to the point of "I can chase them down and kill them with a knife while they try to run from me" levels. While Early Access Subnautica I remember goofy combat science of "when firing a seamoth at them via prawn gravity gun, the seamoth will usually break before the shark."

I hardly use the base game prawn propulsion arm because it isn't a drill or grappling hook, can it still hurl large objects or backpack fed crash fish?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Section Z posted:

But yeah, even at it's best Subnautica is not a game you want friends to play on Hardcore mode.

I'm glad that I tend to hew towards "whatever the developer says is the default difficulty is probably the difficulty it was designed around" as the starting point because I would have been salty as gently caress I had gotten a hardcore death due to "fall damage from clipping out of the cyclops"

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

OgNar posted:

As far as i've seen, there are no real mods that are anything like a bethesda mega patch.

Also completely accidentally while perusing "mods sorted by downloads in the last year" I tripped across this sucker which, among other things, claims to fix

quote:

Creatures always fled to coordinates origin when attacked.
You can now destroy drooping stinger with knife.
Your life pod now does not repair itself after you reload the game.
Sun light did not affect ligthing in your damaged life pod.
When your seamoth hit any object at very low speed, 'fish splat' sound played.
Prawn suit had no collision sounds.
When you start drilling in your prawn suit, the drilling particles were not shown.
When you saved your game, player camera rotation was not saved.
State of wreck doors that you open manually was not saved.
Scanner tool now shows charge level when equipped.
Now when you look at cut open sealed wreck door, UI does not tell you can cut it open.
When you load your game cyclops' speed was messed up until you switch speed mode.
When looking at a fish or an egg, UI now tells you if it's dead.
Stalker swim animation did not stop when you killed it.
Stalkers now drop whatever they are holding in their jaws when attacked.
Egg in your AC now disappear when they hatch.
Unlit flare looked like a lit one when you dropped it.
Flare flung away from you when you dropped it.
Cyclops hatch flaps now always close when you enter cyclops.
Beacon now faces you when you deploy it.
Sun light did not affect cyclops interior lighting.
When you damaged a creature with knife 2 instances of damage particle effect spawned.
When you tried to open standing locker from a distance your PDA did not open.
Camera does not bob up and down when using seaglide.
Coffee vending machine now spawns coffee properly.
Cyclops silent running consumed power even when engine was off.
Creature attack animation did not stop when creature died.
Seamoth did not take damage when colliding with terrain.
:supaburn:Cyclops physics now don't go insane when you build things inside it.:supaburn:
Creature decoy worked only for leviathans. Now it does for every predator.
Reefback don't surface now.
Leviathans now don't attack player on land.
Flashlight now does not illuminate anything behind it
"Doors opening" sfx played when you approached cyclops docking bay while another vehicle was docked.

The dev is active and still fixing bugs if the comments are any indication so I guess we'll see if it causes more issues than it solves

EZgrease
Oct 21, 2004

I don't think I've ever played a more unstable PS4 game. I've probably had as many crashes as I have hours spent, which is roughly 50. It's a shame because I enjoyed the game for the most part, but I guess I'll have to revisit it someday on PC and definitely with mods.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Also completely accidentally while perusing "mods sorted by downloads in the last year" I tripped across this sucker which, among other things, claims to fix

The dev is active and still fixing bugs if the comments are any indication so I guess we'll see if it causes more issues than it solves

That is pretty kickass, if only for beacons being dropped facing you.
I always hated dropping one and then swimming around trying to click on its text box.

I doubt it fixes your prawn suit dropping into the floor in the last base.
Thats the only real bug that ever irritated me.

Also I dont use WASD and the A key for me is the right click for others.
So when i'm typing a name that has an A in it into lockers/beacon, when I hit the A key it drops me out of typing.
But thats one of those lovely hardcoded things that developers dont seem to grasp no matter what company.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 24, 2021

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

I'm glad that I tend to hew towards "whatever the developer says is the default difficulty is probably the difficulty it was designed around" as the starting point because I would have been salty as gently caress I had gotten a hardcore death due to "fall damage from clipping out of the cyclops"

On that note, I can never find it but I could have sworn there was at least one person claiming to have slogged through several hardcore runs only to no-clip to their death during the final cutscene. Was it a fever dream mash up of "All the bugs I ever heard of and experienced", I wonder?

But considering launch day the intro sequence glitched out and killed me with a floating uninteractable fire extinguisher (And I discovered hours later spawning in a working one turned off my cheevos because console is for cheaters etc etc), yeah...

When it is good it is GREAT. But oh man does enjoying Subnautica feel like an uphill climb at times.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I actually went directly to cyclops and slept on the prawn for anything as other than "resource miner" after I hit the 900m seamoth limit near the ghost tree because playing No Mans Sky set me up with expectations about how exosuits are going to feel and I'd rather drive a bus than traverse kilometers of sea bed in something that can't point a flashlight any higher than knee level, even if it can (as it turns out) punch god and win.

This was basically the opposite experience for me, but mostly because with my first game I did a lot with the cyclops and little with the prawn (because I played before it was introduced at first) so when I did get the Prawn it was New and Interesting. And I figured out how to spiderman around in it fairly reliably and got pretty good at scaling up the blood trench with it.

Second playthrough I didn't build the cyclops until the very end. But I also had a couple of QoL mods to make the Prawn easier to use, namely being able to access its upgrades and inventory while inside of it, allowing for me to swap out arms with ease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Taerkar posted:

And I figured out how to spiderman around in it fairly reliably and got pretty good at scaling up the blood trench with it.

I'm laying in bed reading this and while I've had a fair amount of fun with one grapple arm, this phrasing reminded me that it's probably possible to equip two and I'm going to have to remember that's a thing tomorrow.

So far the bug fix mod seems to be nice in the sense that I haven't gone through the roof, but I think my onboard watermelon patch is conspiring to mutiny because I've had 3 instances of leaving my ship and coming back to A Physics Happening, with the cyclops spinning randomly before cutting my framerate to 0. I built up my ship base a lot post-game so I'm not sure what specifically is causing it this time but it's certainly a source of tension as I frantically ask myself "when's the last time I saved?"