Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I think what's notable about Vetinari is that he could be pulled down rather easily if everybody wanted him gone. He stays in power because he's everybody's second choice.

He doesn't have overwhelming force or the whole-hearted support of the military or anything like that, he has a grudging "If I can't be the one leading, I'd rather it be him than them" from everybody in a position of power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

benevolent dictatorship is arguably the best and ideal form of government

it's not

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

That never stopped Plato.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Narsham posted:

I made a note to post in the thread about Vimes and the Summoning Dark when I reread Snuff and I am finally doing that.

In my hardback edition, page 120: Stinky the Goblin is clinging to Vimes and asking for just ice:
"Not panicking now, the goblin pointed a claw at Vimes's left wrist, looked him in the face, and said 'Just ice?'"

Goblins live in the dark, of course, and Stinky pointed to the Summoning Dark scar. He's not just asking Vimes for justice here.

Page 121:
"And again Vimes remembered the darkness and the thirst for vengeance, in fact vengeance itself made sapient and hungry [ie. the Summoning Dark]. And the litter bugger had touched him on that arm. It all came back, and he wished that it hadn't, because while all coppers must have a bit of villain in them, no copper should walk around with a piece of demon as a tattoo."

So the goblin first invokes the Summoning Dark, and, called, it returns to Vimes and is with him later when he walks into the darkness. That's perfectly consistent with the ending of Thud! and it makes sense that the Dark comes to think of Vimes as a sort of partner following their encounter in that story.

gently caress. Even in the midst of his illness, man still had a plan.

I loving miss Terry Pratchett.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
I found a copy of Witches Abroad in a little free library.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Narsham posted:

I made a note to post in the thread about Vimes and the Summoning Dark when I reread Snuff and I am finally doing that.

In my hardback edition, page 120: Stinky the Goblin is clinging to Vimes and asking for just ice:
"Not panicking now, the goblin pointed a claw at Vimes's left wrist, looked him in the face, and said 'Just ice?'"

Goblins live in the dark, of course, and Stinky pointed to the Summoning Dark scar. He's not just asking Vimes for justice here.

Page 121:
"And again Vimes remembered the darkness and the thirst for vengeance, in fact vengeance itself made sapient and hungry [ie. the Summoning Dark]. And the litter bugger had touched him on that arm. It all came back, and he wished that it hadn't, because while all coppers must have a bit of villain in them, no copper should walk around with a piece of demon as a tattoo."

So the goblin first invokes the Summoning Dark, and, called, it returns to Vimes and is with him later when he walks into the darkness. That's perfectly consistent with the ending of Thud! and it makes sense that the Dark comes to think of Vimes as a sort of partner following their encounter in that story.

Ahhhhhhhhh. That's perfect. The Summoning Dark is a partner agency in subterranean supernatural affairs. Or maybe a vigilante/criminal informant. It's not a constant companion, so it's not overpowered at all. Bless that writer, clearly too good for this world.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

The only thing I feel like Pterry maybe drops the ball a bit with is that there could probably be a bit more characters of color in the AM stories, given how cosmopolitan that setting is supposed to be. It would be nice if we had a major Watch character who was Klatchian or something.

I don't know if he counts as a major character, but I think its mentioned that Visit (and most Omnians) are darker than the average city denizen. But yeah, other than that, most main characters are white. Or at least assumed to be, a lot of characters' race isn't outright stated. We know Carrot has bright orange hair which means he's probably white. Angua is described as having blonde hair, and also being from Uberwald which is basically eastern europe. Dwarves' skin colors aren't usually mentioned though. They're probably pretty pale since they live mostly under ground. Aside from that, anyone could be any race really.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

A Moose posted:

I don't know if he counts as a major character, but I think its mentioned that Visit (and most Omnians) are darker than the average city denizen. But yeah, other than that, most main characters are white. Or at least assumed to be, a lot of characters' race isn't outright stated. We know Carrot has bright orange hair which means he's probably white. Angua is described as having blonde hair, and also being from Uberwald which is basically eastern europe. Dwarves' skin colors aren't usually mentioned though. They're probably pretty pale since they live mostly under ground. Aside from that, anyone could be any race really.

There's always Nobby

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
There's Twoflower. He's whatever the Discworld analog of asian is, isn't he? Let's not mention that he's a tourist stereotypically obsessed with taking photos... it was an early novel, ok.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Imagined posted:

There's Twoflower. He's whatever the Discworld analog of asian is, isn't he? Let's not mention that he's a tourist stereotypically obsessed with taking photos...

Yep. There’s also Pteppic from Pyramids who’s Egyptian-esque

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

There's 71-Hour Ahmed and the other Klatchans as well. Although Klatch kind of feels like it gets ignored post-Jingo but most of that could be how focused the different books are in either Lancre or AM. Witches Abroad as well.

It seems like Terry leaned more in to the fantasy races as the various model minorities.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
Lao-Tze as well, who in his first appearance in Small Gods is very much a mysterious generically asian dude just kind of bumbling around and then by Thief of Time is the James Bond of quantum mechanics and time travel.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Imagined posted:

There's Twoflower. He's whatever the Discworld analog of asian is, isn't he? Let's not mention that he's a tourist stereotypically obsessed with taking photos... it was an early novel, ok.

He's Agatean.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

tbh I don't think Discworld does a great job with race, mainly because the early books are lampooning fantasy stories that were often full of orientalist tropes, and the later books are more concerned with fantasy analogies of race.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

tbh I don't think Discworld does a great job with race, mainly because the early books are lampooning fantasy stories that were often full of orientalist tropes, and the later books are more concerned with fantasy analogies of race.

yeah, but it wasn't only the early books, interesting times also has some of that stuff

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Later Snuff report: turns out that the Watchman puts in an appearance as well closer to the end (342-3 in my hardback):

Terry Pratchett posted:

The Vimes in the mirror said, You know he doesn't just want to kill you. That wouldn't be good enough for a bastard like that, not by a long way. He wants to destroy you and will try everything until he does.
"I know," said Vimes, and added, "You're not a demon, are you?" [Ie. Not the Summoning Dark]
"Absolutely not," said his mirror image. "I might be made up of your subconscious mind and a momentary case of muesli poisoning occasioned by a fermenting raisin. Watch where you walk, commander. Watch everywhere." And then it was gone.
Vimes stepped away from the mirror and turned around slowly. It must have been my face, he said to himself, otherwise it would have been the other way round, wouldn't it?

Looks like Vimes, and warns him to watch everywhere? We know who that is (if you read Thud!, anyway).

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I commend my soul to any god that can find it.

ChubbyChecker posted:

yeah, but it wasn't only the early books, interesting times also has some of that stuff

I feel like it's the worst with Rincewind books, since his books are him jumping from local to local to poke fun at fantasy tropes/media then they move on to media in general. While interesting times is more political then others, it's still based on western depictions of east asian countries. I think this is partly why we don't get Rincewind much in later Discworld. And that's also the same reason Klatch fades into the background.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I mean, the main point (or at least the subplot) of most Watch/Ankh-Morpork books is overcoming prejudice towards previously discriminated species- from Angua to Detritus to Reg Shoe. He doesn't really do a ton of stuff with color in those books, but the message usually comes through loud and clear.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I always read Rincewind's misadventures being less about poking fun at fantasy tropes (which is certainly there) and more about using a very inempt wizzard who also happens to be a very skilled runner to give broad strokes for some new setting that would get touched on later.

You don't get much from him latter because there's no real new places left untouched on the map (and because "rincewind runs very fast away from danger into more danger" can only be written so many times). He even lampshades this in the last hero when he volunteers to be launched with Leonard and Carrot. "Oh some dangerous unknown unexplored place yeah no i'll end up going here anyway."

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

citybeatnik posted:

I always read Rincewind's misadventures being less about poking fun at fantasy tropes (which is certainly there) and more about using a very inempt wizzard who also happens to be a very skilled runner to give broad strokes for some new setting that would get touched on later.

This may be true from books 3 on, but The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic are both straight fantasy parody.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Chamberk posted:

I mean, the main point (or at least the subplot) of most Watch/Ankh-Morpork books is overcoming prejudice towards previously discriminated species- from Angua to Detritus to Reg Shoe. He doesn't really do a ton of stuff with color in those books, but the message usually comes through loud and clear.
Yeah Sir Terry seemed like a man whose heart was in the right place but also knew the limits of his experience and didn't try to speak outside of his lane.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

ulmont posted:

This may be true from books 3 on, but The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic are both straight fantasy parody.

Oh absolutely with you there. I was talking more about Interesting Times, Sourcerer, The Lost Continent, etc.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I think the line about "Black and White lived in perfect harmony, and ganged up on Green" from Equal Rites was the only one where he over-glossed the topic for the sake of a one-liner. Most of the time humans are allowed to be nasty and bigoted at each other, it's just framed as country/region of origin rather than color.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

KellHound posted:

While interesting times is more political then others, it's still based on western depictions of east asian countries.

Doesn't the book have an warlord who is more or less a reverse weeaboo?

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

I don't think I've read a single Discworld book about wizards and their appearances in the rest of the series did nothing to change my mind.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Dave Syndrome posted:

Yah, he cosplays as an Ankh-Morporkian in private

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Doctor Jeep posted:

I don't think I've read a single Discworld book about wizards and their appearances in the rest of the series did nothing to change my mind.

The wizards own

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

I was just going to drop "LIVE FATS DIE YO GNU" and let that be its own endorsement of the Wizards.

But looking at it just now, knowing how "GNU Terry Pratchett" has taken on its own significance, gave me several long moments of thoughtful pause.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
My step-father, now retired, spent his career in academia and thus loved the wizards as an utterly accurate depiction of a university faculty.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Dave Syndrome posted:

Yes, Lord Hong. He's a direct parallel to how Japan westernised in the Meiji period.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Ahh yes, pre eminent among the Fang, Sung, Tang and McSweeney dynasties.
(IT was my first Discworld book and it stil has a special place in my heart.)

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I remember one Rincewind book where he goes to fantasy Australia.

And I think..... Deaths assistant? reads up a list of animals that are dangerous on the continent. And Death asks him to just list the things that aren't dangerous and the answer was something like "a few of the sheep I guess"

and I remember thinking that a better answer would have been to make a reference to Rincewind since he was on the continent at that very moment. To emphasize how dangerous the continent was in contrast to him.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Feliday Melody posted:

I remember one Rincewind book where he goes to fantasy Australia.

And I think..... Deaths assistant? reads up a list of animals that are dangerous on the continent. And Death asks him to just list the things that aren't dangerous and the answer was something like "a few of the sheep I guess"

and I remember thinking that a better answer would have been to make a reference to Rincewind since he was on the continent at that very moment. To emphasize how dangerous the continent was in contrast to him.

Rincewind is surprisingly dangerous. He ran around for years with a creation spell in his head and went to fight the creatures of the Dungeon Dimension with a brick in a sock. He’s one of the few people to survive proximity to Cohen the Barbarian

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

quote:

Death held out a hand. I WANT, he said, A BOOK ABOUT THE DANGEROUS CREATURES OF FOURECKS-

Albert looked up and dived for cover, receiving only mild bruising because he had the foresight to curl into a ball.

After a while Death, his voice a little muffled, said: ALBERT, I WOULD BE SO GRATEFUL IF YOU COULD GIVE ME A HAND HERE.

Albert scrambled up and pulled at some of the huge volumes, finally dislodging enough of them for his master to clamber free.

HMM... Death picked up a book at random and read the cover. "DANGEROUS MAMMALS, REPTILES, AMPHIBIANS, BIRDS, FISH, JELLYFISH, INSECTS, SPIDERS, CRUSTACEANS, GRASSES, TREES, MOSSES, AND LICHENS OF TERROR INCOGNITA, " he read. His gaze moved down the spine. VOLUME 29C, he added. OH. PART THREE, I SEE.

He glanced up at the listening shelves. POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

They waited.

IT WOULD APPEAR THAT-

"No, wait master. Here it comes."

Albert pointed to something white zigzagging lazily through the air. Finally Death reached up an caught the single sheet of paper.

He read it carefully and then turned it over briefly just in case anything was written on the other side.

"May I?" said Albert. Death handed him the paper.

"'Some of the sheep, '" Albert read aloud. "Oh, well. Maybe a week at the seaside'd be better, then."

WHAT AN INTRIGUING PLACE, said Death. SADDLE UP THE HORSE, ALBERT. I FEEL SURE I'M GOING TO BE NEEDED.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

Rincewind is surprisingly dangerous. He ran around for years with a creation spell in his head and went to fight the creatures of the Dungeon Dimension with a brick in a sock. He’s one of the few people to survive proximity to Cohen the Barbarian

It's overlooked because Rincewind turned into comic relief. In the early books he's portrayed as seeking to avoid fights at all costs but knowing a lot about dirty fighting if he's cornered. He's also sexually active, although you can understand why that disappears after Sourcery. But that's the point where he becomes a one-note character existing only to run from one joke to the next.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I still like the Lost Continent.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
There’s a moment in Unseen Academicals where, when a bunch of wizards start fighting, Rincewind remembers the last time wizards fought like this and took off a sock and started looking for a brick

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I'm reading Interesting Times for the first time right now and by Pratchett standards it feels like there is some pretty cringy stuff in there. Some of it is the orientalism you'd expect, but surprising things that jumped out at me were the centrist boomer stuff about how it's pointless to try to change the system and anyone trying to lead a revolution is just out for their own glory, etc.

quote:

He wanted to say: how could you be so nice and yet so dumb? The best thing you could do with the peasents was to leave them alone. Let them get on with it. When people who can read and write start fighting for those who can't, you just end up with another kind of stupidity. If you want to help them, build a big library or something somewhere and leave the door open.

quote:

"I know about people who talk about suffering for the common good. It's never bloody them! When you hear a man shouting "Forward, brave comrades!" you'll see he's the one behind the bloody big rock and the one wearing the only really arrow-proof helmet!"

It is funny, though. The entire bit where the wizards discuss teleporting Rincewind to the Counterweight Continent while he tries futilely to object is so loving funny.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 24, 2021

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Imagined posted:

I'm reading Interesting Times for the first time right now and by Pratchett standards it feels like there is some pretty cringy stuff in there. Some of it is the orientalism you'd expect, but surprising things that jumped out at me were the centrist boomer stuff about how it's pointless to try to change the system and anyone trying to lead a revolution is just out for their own glory, etc.

It is funny, though. The entire bit where the wizards discuss teleporting Rincewind to the Counterweight Continent while he tries futilely to object is so loving funny.

To me, one of his cringiest books (but yes some fantastic bits in it as well). "The chains are in their heads" was devastating - but should have been in a book about Ankh-Morpork, because it's every bit of true about the audience as their foreign counterparts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Imagined posted:

That's consistent throughout Pratchett though (centralism, not orientalism!). It's a significant part of Guards! Guards! at one end of the series but it's also there in Night Watch towards the other end to pick two examples. The Lipwig books are where he tips his toe into 'how do you change things for the better?' and I think one of the more interesting insights put into those books is 'the people who can deliver disruptive positive change share significant characteristics with fraudsters and conmen'.

Going Postal being released in the same year that Elon Musk became CEO of Tesla.