Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Covok posted:

Let's say you were someone who JUST started watching Adventure Time over TEN YEARS after it first aired. And let's say that, despite yourself, you find you actually like it. And, you say to yourself, "Oh, this is just a D&D game on acid." And you say to yourself "woah, I could play this."

And then you say to yourself, "but what system would I use?"

Contrarian options: Gamma World 7E, or the Fate Accelerated setting Masters of Umdaar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Hey, all!

So after a year of my gaming group not doing anything due to COVID and having lost a member, we want to switch it up and do something other than the Pathfinder adventure we’ve been slogging through for a while.

I’ve got an idea for a pirate campaign - and by idea, I mean, a central adversary, a few scenes I want to pull, and a general sense of setting. But I’ve got no strong feeling about what system to run it in.

So here’s where I stand:
* it’s absolutely a not-Earth world, the piracy is taking place in islands that only show up every few hundred years off the shores of not-Europe
* for plot reasons, I’d like to keep the players low-magic, as when big magic happens I’d like it to be awe-inspiring and scary rather than “oh I can do that in a few levels”
* I’m okay with, maybe even leaning towards fantasy races for PCs because the fighting between the Elvish Nation colony and the Dwarven Mining Colony inherently has more interesting tropes and hooks I can wing than the fighting between the Dutch colony and the Spanish colony
* my group is not really into miniatures and positional placement and deep rules, so combats in Pathfinder have not been the greatest. I’d like something that ran faster and easier.

So here are options I know about:
* Pathfinder still exists and my group knows it, but running it low magic and fast combat might mean a lot of work to tailor it
* D&D 5 is faster and lighter and more balanced, there’s a pirate-themed supplement, and it’s close enough to Pathfinder that it won’t be a super-hard learn
* 7th Sea has an SRD version which seems to just be all the worst parts of Pathfinder but also low magic
* There’s a 7th Sea 2.0 but I know nothing about it, but I’d assume it’s low magic with character creation and combat that does good fast buckling of the swashes

Is there anything I’m missing as a good alternative? I’m open to generic systems as well as long as they have interesting combat that plays fast (so not GURPS). Anything I don’t know about D&D 5 or 7th Sea (which is a lot!) I need to take into account or should know?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Covok posted:

Let's say you were someone who JUST started watching Adventure Time over TEN YEARS after it first aired. And let's say that, despite yourself, you find you actually like it. And, you say to yourself, "Oh, this is just a D&D game on acid." And you say to yourself "woah, I could play this."

Sure, there is Dungeons and Dragons, but that is like fitting a trapezoid peg into a pentagon hole. It doesn't fit. You'd have to cut off the sides of the setting to get it to fit into the system. That's true for every edition.

Okay, that's out. But what about generic systems? Well, forget GURPS: to crunchy. FATE? Sure, but, as much as I love it, it would be like oatmeal. Savage Worlds? Maybe, but it feels like an off fit.

Then, you start going indie. Well, someone made "Far Away Lands" for it and that might work, but no one talks about it so who knows? Looks a bit like someone's simplified D&D setting. My mind went to Chuubos for a second in the Adventure genre, but I've never got Chuubo's to survive three sessions even if it is absolutely amazing and y'all got to play it. PbtA isn't finding any results (is that just generic system at this point). And looking for some fan systems are getting anything.

So, let's see, you now say to yourself: what makes Adventure Time "Adventure Time." What are your standards? What are you really looking for?

Well, how about this:
  • A fantastical world that is out there and zanzy
  • Anything can happen at any time
  • But you're all chill with it and in for the ride
  • There is magic, science, and whatever you think is cool
  • Nothing needs to make sense, but it will in the end
  • Friendship is at the heart
  • Being immature is just how it is, yo

So then that makes me think that I probably need some loose and open to crazy encounters. Maybe like MAID's random tables, but maybe not. It also isn't really about combat so combat centric games fall out: the fights are over fast and it's really about people and their personalities. And, if it is about people, it need to have robust systems for handling situations like that, like Golden Sky Stories perhaps or even Burning Wheel.

So, what does that leave me? Chuubos, actually, but I am still open to alternative suggestions because no one ever wants to play that amazing game.
Reskin Danger Patrol

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Considering running a military campaign set in the Kaiserreich universe. I was planning on using GURPS, but was wondering if there's a better system to simulate WWII combat.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I want to run a 1800s weird fantasy pulp adventure and am satisfied with Savage Worlds for the general cut of things - but I want a better vehicle system for handling the primary mode of mounted combat: Huge gently caress-off airships with cannon on!

Anyone have a good suggestion for running crunchy airship combat that isn't too technical?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
No one? I don't mind using separat systems for the vehicles.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

You could maybe look into using a minis system? I don't really know well enough to make a recommendation, but I'm sure there's a thread in TG somewhere that would have a better idea.

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

I'm looking for a system that supports high magic fantasy role playing where I can play a dude who just hits stuff with a big sledgehammer and not feel like BMX Bandit next to the spellcasters after a few levels.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kaiju15 posted:

I'm looking for a system that supports high magic fantasy role playing where I can play a dude who just hits stuff with a big sledgehammer and not feel like BMX Bandit next to the spellcasters after a few levels.

4e, Pathfinder 2e.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Kaiju15 posted:

4E, Strike.

Possibly Dungeon World, but I never saw it played at high levels.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Kaiju15 posted:

4e, Strike supposedly, but if I see an opening to plug Valor I will take it every time.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

If I wanted a game to run something very similar to Metal Gear Rising, what would work best do you folks think?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Gorefiend posted:

If I wanted a game to run something very similar to Metal Gear Rising, what would work best do you folks think?

What about MGR are you wanting to replicate?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Covok posted:

Did someone say D&D on acid ? Comrade have I got good news for you !

https://wizardthieffighter.itch.io/ultraviolet-grasslands-and-the-black-city-uvg

UVG is a pointcrawl campaign set in a world that is 100%, USDA Grade A, D&D on acid. With the art to match. And a not-terrible simple RPG system included that should be playable enough. The basic premise is that you're trying to run a trading caravan through the UVG to the Black City. It's not just gonna not be easy, it's gonna be weird. The players will be actually managing the caravan in some detail, but there's great scope for exploration and adventure (I.e. the UVG is super dangerous).

If you don't like the system, meh, try Dungeon World with only 3rd party playbooks allowed.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
What game would work best to play a game in the same themes and nature of Neon Genesis Evangelion? There's Adeptus Evangelion, but that hasn't been updated in a long while. There's Lancer, Battle Century G, and Mecha, but I don't feel any of them handle the psychological and emotional elements. There is Beam Saber, but that's more Gundam.

What would y'all recommend?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Covok posted:

What game would work best to play a game in the same themes and nature of Neon Genesis Evangelion? There's Adeptus Evangelion, but that hasn't been updated in a long while. There's Lancer, Battle Century G, and Mecha, but I don't feel any of them handle the psychological and emotional elements. There is Beam Saber, but that's more Gundam.

What would y'all recommend?

are the PCs the pilots or are the PCs the Misato / Ritsuko / etc. generation

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
What can I get that is:
  • Traditional Fantasy out of the box (no generics)
  • Medium Crunch - players want builds an options, but I need to do chargen with total newbs in three hours
  • Higher power level - no funnel
  • Martials are awesome - every class or build or whatever should be equally interesting

D&D 4E is not on the table.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
4E but take your players' families hostage first.

Jokes aside, Strike!, ICON (still an ashcan, no real GMing tools yet), Fantasy AGE maybe.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah that sounds like Strike is a good fit. ICONS looks like it's going to own but the existing material is understandably bare right now.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Strike is a generic system, it doesn't come with medieval fantasy flavor necessarily. Still, it's got medium crunch in combat and starts up pretty quick

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

CitizenKeen posted:

What can I get that is:
  • Medium Crunch - players want builds an options, but I need to do chargen with total newbs in three hours
  • Martials are awesome - every class or build or whatever should be equally interesting

How trad fantasy and crunchy are we talking here? Something that scratches the D&D itch, or something more loosy goosy fantasy? I'd probably reach for 13th age or Spellbound Kingdoms, myself. Maybe Heart or a tweaked Dungeon World if I were stretching it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CitizenKeen posted:

What can I get that is:

Pathfinder 2e.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I'm currently strongly looking at Heart and 13th Age. Icons looks amazing and I think will be stable enough for my players in a year or so (like I said, right now I need a win).

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

13th age, eyes of the stone thief

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

CitizenKeen posted:

What can I get that is:

Honestly? D&D 5e does everything you're asking for. It's definitely traditional fantasy. It has significant number of build options - but it's excellently chunked and with significant variety. It has a decent power level; even level 1 isn't easy to kill and you can start at level 3. And martials (other than the PHB ranger which was fixed in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything and arguably the Champion Fighter which is just bland) are fine until they just sort of stop getting new things at level 11.

Alternative option: 13th Age which is kinda better than 5e but has a much smaller player base.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

neonchameleon posted:

Honestly? D&D 5e does everything you're asking for. It's definitely traditional fantasy. It has significant number of build options - but it's excellently chunked and with significant variety. It has a decent power level; even level 1 isn't easy to kill and you can start at level 3. And martials (other than the PHB ranger which was fixed in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything and arguably the Champion Fighter which is just bland) are fine until they just sort of stop getting new things at level 11.

Alternative option: 13th Age which is kinda better than 5e but has a much smaller player base.

Martials suck in D&D 5e. Even before I learned about WotC's bad behavior I was starting to lean away from 5e just because of how boring martials were.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
So Apocalypse World does a thing where you can have things and that's a core aspect of your character and how they interact with both the setting and the rules. For example, the Hardholder and the settlement they run, the Chopper and their motorcycle gang, or the Maestro'd and their establishment. Anyone know of any other games with a similar kind of thing? I know Tiny Taverns is about the tavern you help run and your role in doing so. So, yeah, stuff like that.

I don't mean games where you can incidentally pick up a castle during play, rather a game where you start out with a castle and the responsibilities tied with it, for an example.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

Martials suck in D&D 5e. Even before I learned about WotC's bad behavior I was starting to lean away from 5e just because of how boring martials were.

YMMV. I had plenty of fun with a Shadow Monk and I've seen people both enjoy barbarians and battlemasters.

Honestly I'll take the battlemaster where you actually have choices even if they aren't the greatest over 13A where the fighter doesn't decide what they are trying to do - instead they roll to see what they tried to. The champion fighter I agree is utterly boring. But not everyone's like me.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

neonchameleon posted:

YMMV. I had plenty of fun with a Shadow Monk and I've seen people both enjoy barbarians and battlemasters.

Honestly I'll take the battlemaster where you actually have choices even if they aren't the greatest over 13A where the fighter doesn't decide what they are trying to do - instead they roll to see what they tried to. The champion fighter I agree is utterly boring. But not everyone's like me.

the battlemaster fighter, who picks their maneuvers from a static list that does not grow or upgrade as the fighter levels up, and therefore at level 15 can only choose from the powers the player passed on many times, is mind-bogglingly lovely design

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Kaja Rainbow posted:

I don't mean games where you can incidentally pick up a castle during play, rather a game where you start out with a castle and the responsibilities tied with it, for an example.

Pendragon ?

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

homullus posted:

the battlemaster fighter, who picks their maneuvers from a static list that does not grow or upgrade as the fighter levels up, and therefore at level 15 can only choose from the powers the player passed on many times, is mind-bogglingly lovely design

Getting extra maneuvers at high level is fine for the battlemaster as a ribbon ability. It's not worth that much, granted - but if you actually bother to read the Battlemaster's description rather than simply memeing you'd find that at every level the battlemaster gets extra Battlemaster maneuvers they actually get a primary subclass feature that's meant to be the meat of the level, while the extra maneuvers are basically a bonus.

Now Relentless at level 15 (gain a superiority dice when you roll initiative and have none) is a pretty pathetic ability, but that's meant to be the primary thing the battlemaster gets at level 15 and is presented as the class feature for that level. You also get an extra superiority dice as another freebie at level 7, and one at level 15.

In your world is it "mind-bogglingly lovely design" that wizards and sorcerers ever get additional first level spells after second level? After all they can only pick at second level first level spells they passed on at levels 1 and 2? And that they passed on those spells makes it "mind-bogglingly lovely design" despite the fact that they get more important things at the same levels.

And no, this doesn't think that I think ether that Relentless at level 15 is a good ability or that there aren't serious issues with the design of the fighter after level 11 as level 11 is when they get their last unique ability before the fourth attack at level 20. But "The existence of a ribbon ability is mind-bogglingly lovely design" is the level of criticism I expect from people who haven't read 4e when talking about 4e.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Kaja Rainbow posted:

So Apocalypse World does a thing where you can have things and that's a core aspect of your character and how they interact with both the setting and the rules. For example, the Hardholder and the settlement they run, the Chopper and their motorcycle gang, or the Maestro'd and their establishment. Anyone know of any other games with a similar kind of thing? I know Tiny Taverns is about the tavern you help run and your role in doing so. So, yeah, stuff like that.

Pendragon, though in my opinion it does it poorly
Runequest. Not everyone starts with land or responsibilities, but its there if your players want to dig into it. Similar to the Pendragon system, but better IMO

Wicked Ones has the group as a cadre of monsters building up a dungeon together

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

neonchameleon posted:

In your world is it "mind-bogglingly lovely design" that wizards and sorcerers ever get additional first level spells after second level? After all they can only pick at second level first level spells they passed on at levels 1 and 2? And that they passed on those spells makes it "mind-bogglingly lovely design" despite the fact that they get more important things at the same levels.

This is a terrible argument because they get higher level spells, often at the same time. A battlemaster fighter gets the same list at level 1 as he does at level 15, where a wizard is getting an 8th-level spell that they could not pick before that is more powerful than any other they could have picked previously.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Kaja Rainbow posted:

They're mostly Apocalypse World derivatives. The Sword, The Crown, And The Unspeakable Power is kind of Game of Thrones Apocalypse World, and one of their playbooks starts out in charge of the castle, one of the army, and so on.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

neonchameleon posted:

Wizards and sorcerers get more spells, higher level spells, and spells that have at higher levels... text written into them often have a better baseline improvement than fighter maneuvers, which are always based on the roll of the superiority die! When the wizard's magic missile (for example) improves and the wizard rolls all 1s for its effect, it's still stronger than the base form, because there are additional missiles. When the battlemaster's superiority die improves and the fighter rolls all 1s for its effect, the maneuver is the same as the base form. Other spells improve in non-die-roll-related ways, too; maneuvers don't.

This is the most famous RPG in the history of history with years of design by a team of experienced designers. 5e spell choice design and maneuver choice design are not very comparable, and the battlemaster maneuvers are embarrassingly bad. That it's in D&D, with all the resources that would have gone into it, is what makes it mind-boggling. The ribbon abilities should be well-designed too! 5e is a passable game and it wasn't crazy for you to suggest it, but come on, the martials in 5e are Not Good.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Zarick posted:

This is a terrible argument because they get higher level spells, often at the same time. A battlemaster fighter gets the same list at level 1 as he does at level 15, where a wizard is getting an 8th-level spell that they could not pick before that is more powerful than any other they could have picked previously.

And as I pointed out every level after the first Battlemasters get more maneuvers the main subclass feature they get is something else. Either increasing the superiority dice size, some way of getting more stuff, or getting other abilities. Pretending that the main thing that the battlemaster gets at level 15 (or any of their other class feature levels) is no different to pretending the only thing the wizard gets is extra low level spells.

Now if you want to say that the main ability that a battlemaster gets at level 15 is arguably worse than the extra maneuvers I'm going to have some sympathy. The battlemaster intended headline level 15 ability of getting to recharge a superiority dice when they roll initiative if they have none is fairly pathetic. But this isn't "the battlemaster is terrible design because as a near free ability they get extra maneuvers at high level", it's "the battlemaster's supposed level 15 ability is bad to the point of being little better than the ribbon ability".

Do fighters scale well enough after level 11 in 5e? Not even slightly to the point I don't think they get a single new class feature. Is there a definite flaw here? Very much so. Is the flaw that battlemasters get extra maneuvers as a ribbon ability a well as actual core subclass features? No. And pretending it is is like pretending "shouts hands back on" is what the 4e warlord does.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If you let Battlemasters choose a 1st level Wizard spell instead of a maneuver at those levels, do you think many players seeking narrative and combat efficacy would take that option?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm looking to run a fantasy based Halloween adventure where the PCs are "killed" so their souls are sent to purgatory to find out why no one is going to heaven or hell. I'm only looking to do 2-4 sessions of around three hours each.

I'd prefer to run it in something that's not combat heavy but does have character builds. Some form of Apocalypse World maybe, if that's easy enough to learn and teach.

Edit: I'm open to a Modern setting as well, if there's a system for it.

Edit edit: Actually while I'm here, what are the good non-Shadowrun cyberpunk systems?

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 7, 2021

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I want to run a heist game in a setting pretty analogous to Batman the Animated Series. Is there a Forged in the Dark variant that'd accommodate that sort of setting, or am I better off either filing the numbers off BitD or just using Leverage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Looking to run a family game with spouse and an 11 year old who is super into making maps, the Hobbit, and wants to try out an RPG.

RULESET: Light to Medium
SUPPORT: Quicker set up, but I can handle doing whatever.
Chargen: Quick to medium
Setting: Medieval/Fantasy/Magic
Requirement: Quick enough combat and skill checks to not get bogged down in book digging or character sheet hunting. We've got D&D 5E, Pathfinder 1.0, Savage Worlds, and Dungeon World. I've only played Pathfinder and it doesn't seem like a good fit for this, even though the campaign setting is great. I've read good things about Savage World Pathfinder in this regard but the one game I had lined up for Savage Worlds flopped due to the COVID monster separating the group.