Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My mom's family lives in Huntsville so I've made that drive so many times, what a garbage area

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

any high speed rail should absolutely go to the valley. there's zero between san antonio and mcallen; it'd be the cheapest leg. in Dream World there's stations at mcallen, harlingen and brownsville with two border crossings

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

there's a world where i could take a train from saltillo station in austin to actual saltillo in five hours and i'm mad i'm not in it

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

I have questions for the operator of the Houston PD twitter account, specifically what it is about this event that they think we should #neverforget
https://twitter.com/houstonpolice/status/1429790526245584901?s=20

quote:

The Houston Riot of 1917 occurred on 23 August 1917. It was a mutiny and riot by 156 soldiers of the Third Battalion of the all-black Twenty-fourth United States Infantry Regiment. The events of the riot occurred within a climate of overt hostility from members of the all-white Houston Police Department against members of the local black community and black soldiers stationed at Camp Logan during the era of Jim Crow Laws.[1] Following an incident, where police officers arrested and assaulted some black soldiers, many black soldiers at Camp Logan mutinied and marched to Houston, where they opened fire and killed numerous people. The events took place over a single night, and resulted in the deaths of 11 civilians and five policemen. Four soldiers were also killed and Sergeant Vida Henry, who led the mutineers, died by suicide. In accordance with policies of the time, the soldiers were tried at three courts-martial for mutiny. Nineteen were executed, and 41 were sentenced to life imprisonment.
[...]
Around noon August 23, 1917, Lee Sparks and Rufus Daniels, two Houston police officers, disrupted a gathering on a street corner in Houston's predominantly-black San Felipe district by firing warning shots. Sparks, pursuing those who fled the gunshots, burst into the home of a local woman, Sara Travers. He did not find any of the citizens he was chasing and after refusing to believe Travers protestations that she had no knowledge of the whereabouts of anyone fleeing, struck her and dragged her outside dressed only in a nightgown and arrested her.

As Sparks and Daniels called in the arrest from an area patrol box, they were approached by Private Alonzo Edwards. Edwards offered to take custody of Travers, but instead was pistol-whipped repeatedly by Sparks and then arrested himself. Later that afternoon, Corporal Charles Baltimore approached Sparks and Daniels in the same neighborhood to inquire about the status of Edwards. Sparks struck Baltimore with his pistol and fired three shots at him as he fled into a nearby home. Sparks and Daniels pursued Baltimore, eventually finding him under a bed. They pulled him out, beat him, and placed him under arrest.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

smh this is what happens when you chase out a progressive leader like acevedo

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ratmtattat posted:

I'm all in. Go from Houston to Austin to San Antonio.

That's the Texas rear end-Crack.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Hot new details on the West family's thrilling Friday night. It seems that Allen couldn't be the DD that day because he was too busy gunning for the coveted Nuge endorsement:

quote:

West said his grandson was in the car, but that his wife only had lemonade and water that evening. He said he has the receipts to prove it.
[...]
West was not with his wife that evening. He said he was in Waco having dinner with rock and roller Ted Nugent when he learned of her arrest.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I hear Florida police are much more lenient about this sort of thing, he should move back there, in my o

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Blotto_Otter posted:

Hot new details on the West family's thrilling Friday night. It seems that Allen couldn't be the DD that day because he was too busy gunning for the coveted Nuge endorsement:

There was a post above that said they took a blood sample. If so, that's infallible and she's hosed if it comes back positive.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1429905512578039810

Seems like you'd need 51 Dems to sign on to this for it to mean anything.

And also I'm pretty sure that since no one moved to challenge the quorum, it doesn't matter if 99 members were present on the floor last weej or not. There's a ton of D's at hearings today so seems like it's gonna be moot in half an hour or so. We'll see!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

paywall'd statesman article i snuck past

quote:

State Rep. Vikki Goodwin knows her seat in the Texas House could be in trouble.

The Austin Democrat represents the western reaches of the city and the Hill Country suburbs of Travis County that are known to lean more conservative than the generally liberal urban core.

Population growth in her district is a good thing. It showcases a healthy economy and a prosperous constituency. But it also means her district is likely to see many changes when lawmakers meet later this year to redraw legislative district lines.

Every 10 years, states use new census data to redraw the lines for congressional and legislative voting districts. Texas' lines are decided by the Legislature, where voters have installed a Republican majority.

Some political observers say they expect the Republicans in charge to try to unseat Goodwin.

"I know there is a target on my back," Goodwin told the American-Statesman. Republicans who will lead the effort to redraw the 150 Texas House districts "could potentially move me out of my district or take me out of my district."

Goodwin's District 47 contains Lakeway, Bee Cave and Lago Vista. It grew more than any other Travis County district in the past decade, adding 75,000 people, which made it the eighth-fastest growing district in the state, according to census figures. It is also the second-fastest growing district in the Austin metro area behind District 45, which encompasses Hays and Blanco counties.

The greater Austin area appears set to gain at least two seats in the Texas House through redistricting. Travis County has grown so much that it has too many people to have only six self-contained districts.

A seventh district will need to stretch into the county, likely gobbling up portions of western Travis County that could create a Republican stronghold.

"Goodwin is going to be a high priority for them to get rid of," said Peck Young, an Austin political consultant who has been involved with redistricting since the 1970s. "There's going to be an effort on the west side of the county to pick up one, if not two seats" for Republicans.

Unlike the U.S. House seats, which also will be redrawn through the redistricting process, Texas House districts must abide by the "county line rule." The rules essentially prohibit lawmakers from carving up counties and combining slices across county lines to create districts. Priority is placed on keeping counties whole, and when a county has sufficient population, giving it its own district.

Lawmakers also must observe constitutional requirements that state districts have similar populations, which Texas law defines as no individual House district being home to 10% more or fewer people than any other.

When districts were last drawn in 2011, that put the average district at about 167,000 people. The new districts will need to have about 194,000 people.

In the years since those district were last redrawn, many have grown far beyond the average. District 28 in the Houston area has nearly 300,000 people. Goodwin's western Travis County district has swelled to 250,000. The nearby District 45, with Blanco and Hays counties, is up to 252,000.

Meanwhile, rural districts in West Texas, East Texas and the Panhandle as well as some El Paso-area districts saw their populations stagnate or even decrease. Many of those sprawling districts will now need to sprawl even farther, while clusters of high growth districts surrounding Texas' largest cities will need to shrink.

Similar changes will happen to the 31 Texas Senate districts, though they are likely to be less pronounced.

Though Democrats are hopeful the change could spell more political power for urban cities and suburbia — areas that have leaned more blue in recent elections — Republicans probably will try to use their control of the process to further entrench their power base for the next 10 years.

Young, a longtime Democrat who has worked on redistricting for partisan and nonpartisan causes, said the effort by Republicans to increase their power will lack finesse.

"This generation of Republicans make a gut-shot water buffalo look like a ballerina," Young said. [jesus christ]

First among those targeted will be Democrats in swing districts, and especially those in swing districts involved in breaking the quorum in the House.

Erin Zwiener checks both of those boxes. The Driftwood Democrat won reelection to her Hays and Blanco seat by 1 percentage point — a 1,200-vote margin — last November. Because of the massive growth in Hays County, the fastest-growing county in Texas last decade, her district will shrink considerably when lines are redrawn.

Hays County's population grew to 241,000. That means the county will be split into two districts, one wholly contained and a second that will be a part of an adjacent county.

Zwiener said she worries that the dividing line will resemble the gerrymandered congressional districts that snake through San Marcos, with Texas State University and student-rich neighborhoods intentionally bisected to diffuse Democrat voting blocs.

"My college students and my post-college folks at that age move a lot," Zwiener said. "They're changing districts every time they move to a new apartment or a new dorm. Even the Texas State dorms are in two different congressional districts. That's not reasonable. It's designed to create confusion and limit people's participation."

Williamson County also will see some changes. The county should have three districts wholly contained within county lines for the first time. Lawmakers will need to figure out what to do with District 20, which has the northern half of Williamson as well as all of Burnet and Milam counties.

The increase in population will cause a contraction in the suburban-centric districts in the southern half of Williamson County, and it means the northern half will no longer be represented by Terry Wilson, a Republican who lives in Granite Shoals in Burnet County.

Wilson did not return a phone message seeking comment.

Redistricting presumably will begin when Gov. Greg Abbott calls another special legislative session to address the issue. However, redistricting of Texas House and Senate districts can also be undertaken by the Legislative Redistricting Board, which is composed of the governor, lieutenant governor, House speaker, comptroller and land commissioner, should the Legislature fail to act.

Abbott has not said whether he would consider having the Legislative Redistricting Board take up the task.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

quote:

"This generation of Republicans make a gut-shot water buffalo look like a ballerina," Young said. [jesus christ]

what the gently caress does this mean

this man is probably from Massachusetts or something

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

that's the guy on the right. he's a walking ben sargent caricature

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Badger of Basra posted:

It means they are going to meaner than usual and try to cut the number of safe dem or lean dem districts to the absolute minimum.

With the population, demographic changes and Delta wreaking the unvaxinated (a lot more Republicans than Democrats not getting vaxxed) I'm wondering if they are setting themselves up for some own goals by pushing for maps that are a lot more risky than they'd otherwise be to punish Democratic legislatiors and own the libs.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the census is over, those dead people count for the next decade

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

What does it mean for a water buffalo to be “gut-shot”

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Badger of Basra posted:

What does it mean for a water buffalo to be “gut-shot”

well I don't know about you, but that's me when I go to <$LOCAL_LOW-QUALITY_TEX-MEX_RESTAURANT>

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/jaspscherer/status/1429927317602803716

I kind of feel like Dade Phelan is loving this up

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/jaspscherer/status/1429927317602803716

I kind of feel like Dade Phelan is loving this up

If Dade manages to gently caress up passing anything during special session, then he should absolutely be House Speaker again. That's our best case scenario.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deshotel put out a letter saying that Dems shouldn't go on the floor until there's a slate of bills, maybe they're doing that? Or just flexing like, you still have to deal with us, we'll do it again and continue to make your lives miserable?

Do you know if the normal calendar committee process applies during specials

https://twitter.com/MorrisReports/status/1429911786145394688
Erin Zweiner picked a hell of a day to show tho lol

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
Only two shy of breaking quorum.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

Only two shy of breaking quorum.

The two struck were Cyrier and Toth, who I doubt are intentionally out, so I guess they just figured whatever phone call they had to make or meeting htey had to have was more important than establishing a razor thin quorum

https://twitter.com/jaspscherer/status/1429942318145093641

pffffff

zoux fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 24, 2021

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
That poo poo was self-fulfilling. They wouldn't have had quorum if Ds hadn't been like "well, gotta go back, guess they have quorum now."

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Blotto_Otter posted:

I have questions for the operator of the Houston PD twitter account, specifically what it is about this event that they think we should #neverforget
https://twitter.com/houstonpolice/status/1429790526245584901?s=20

Support the troops.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

i say swears online posted:

the census is over, those dead people count for the next decade

They aren't going to be voting in 2022/2024 though.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Watched the video of Allen West's wife being arrested. She did fine on the field sobriety test, then blew clean on a breathalyzer and they arrested her anyway with a 3 mo old baby in the car.

Victim of racist cops

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i hope he raises holy hell

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

It'll be entertaining at least to watch him try walking the line between sucking off are heroes in blue and correctly accusing them of doing a racism.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

ReidRansom posted:

It'll be entertaining at least to watch him try walking the line between sucking off are heroes in blue and correctly accusing them of doing a racism.

Amen

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

ReidRansom posted:

If I were more :tinfoil: it would almost appear to be a setup from one of his opponents.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Her lawyer is already saying that her issues with the sobriety test were caused by a past aneurysm, so it sounds like there was something off
https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1429970213160763392

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
You know, we've had several attempts to get a goon elected to office when in reality Gene showed us that what we needed to do was make someone who got elected into a goon.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gene for texas: I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm trying to fix it

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Gene for Texas: He'll carry the printer.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Gene going around asking if there are stairs in the House of Representatives

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

Dameius posted:

You know, we've had several attempts to get a goon elected to office when in reality Gene showed us that what we needed to do was make someone who got elected into a goon.

Maybe they just stay out of this thread? The legislature is full of nerds (moreso staff, but still), so I'm sure some electeds are here.

https://twitter.com/The87thTxlege/status/1430022543029719040?s=20

Just sharing this so I can talk about a time one of my coworkers took a photo from the gallery of Briscoe Cain awkwardly sitting on one of the window ledges on the House floor with two women very closely with hand-holding/hand on thigh action. Weird to see just that out in the open.

Edit again: After I posted this, Briscoe Cain liked that tweet. hahahahaha.

Mistaken Frisbee fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 24, 2021

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

no nooooo stop

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

https://twitter.com/nytopinion/status/1430122148794884101

Betteridge's law of headlines still applies.

Legato
Jul 7, 2004

Un cave troll espectacular!
While this shouldn't technically count as politics...Plano ISD mandated masks, at least temporarily. It does appear that you can file for medical, religious or philosophical exemption BUT it's still way better than nothing. It'll be a shitshow at PTA meetings, board meetings, etc. I'm sure.

If Plano can do it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/MayorAdler/status/1430167808000897026?s=20

hmm yes with additional public comment i'm sure the plan to add a bunch of lanes and waste billions of dollars for no reason will get better

e: lmao

https://twitter.com/taygoldenstein/status/1430168154681090054?s=20

Badger of Basra fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 24, 2021