Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Broken Cog posted:

Welcome to... the Blood Grove

You know, for being trees, dryads sure bleed a lot.

blood makes the grass gro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Welcome to... the Blood Grove

You know, for being trees, dryads sure bleed a lot.

So this is what they mean by gardening needing "blood, sweat and tears"!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
A drop pod crashed with an animal in it.

It was an elephant. I nursed it back to health and built a pen with an enclosure for it. I have no idea what I'm going to do with a goddamn space elephant but Colin, you have a home.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Pack animal?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Aw imagine, someone probably put that elephant in their own drop pod. They loved it more than life.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Alternatively the stoners on the other side of the planet got really loving high and decided to see how far they could fire an elephant in a drop pod.

High life should absolutely have a mechanic where you get a quest to do extremely weird and arbitrary things in exchange for colony wide mood buffs.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Alternatively the stoners on the other side of the planet got really loving high and decided to see how far they could fire an elephant in a drop pod.

High life should absolutely have a mechanic where you get a quest to do extremely weird and arbitrary things in exchange for colony wide mood buffs.

Dude, what IF we gave a thrumbo luciferium?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Dick Trauma posted:

A drop pod crashed with an animal in it.

It was an elephant. I nursed it back to health and built a pen with an enclosure for it. I have no idea what I'm going to do with a goddamn space elephant but Colin, you have a home.
Elephants can be zoned. I don't think they need, or even benefit from, a pen.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Colin deserves his own pen.

EDIT: VVV Colin has already flown once and we all know how that went.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 23, 2021

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

the world is Colin's pen

he's a peacock and you gotta let him fly

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Dick Trauma posted:

Colin deserves his own pen.

If you spruce up Colin's pen all fancy, please take a picture of it to show us. I want to see that elephant made the absolute king of your colony.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Leal posted:

So this is what they mean by gardening needing "blood, sweat and tears"!

Funny enough, bone meal actually makes everything grow great. And it's made out of mostly crushed cow/pig bones.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

HopperUK posted:

If you spruce up Colin's pen all fancy, please take a picture of it to show us. I want to see that elephant made the absolute king of your colony.

See now this would be where evolution of an ideology to include veneration of the sky fall elephant would be neat.

Then it should also have a choice between living situation of the venerated animal, chosen from, "room better than any human" all the way to, "we respect their animal ways, they should live as they please."

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Tynan, let us make our elephant royalty and force the empire to bestow titles on him

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

quote:

Added ability to create a new fluid ideo after archonexus restart.

hhhnnhnhngngngh release this poo poo :sludgepal:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I'm a darkness worshipping colony, is there any reason for me to ever destroy this sun blocker the mechanoids dropped on my colony?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

juggalo baby coffin posted:

I'm a darkness worshipping colony, is there any reason for me to ever destroy this sun blocker the mechanoids dropped on my colony?

Assuming you have stable food sources then not really. It's gonna get nerfed next patch to not generate that kind of blocker for Darkness ideologies because it's obviously not a problem.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also quite useful for undergrounders too, who cares what the outside is like, I dont go out there anyway.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i ended up destroying it because all the vegetation on the map was dying and it was depressing to look at

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

metasynthetic posted:

Animals Logic has a whole checklist of configurable options relating to animals, one of which flags them as hostile entities to your pawns and stuff like turrets, and I think it kicks out an alert on hunt as well although I'm not totally sure. I definitely have *some* mod in my list which is giving an alert when a predator hunts my guys and this is the only one I can think of.

Sort of related, Foxes Aren't Suicidal prevents small predators from going after things bigger than them by a certain %, including your colonists. Doesn't matter if they're manhunters though, they'll still come after you as you'd expect.

Thanks!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

i just had a Thrumbo self-tame, and a Megasloth.

The Thrumbo shits ALOT.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

juggalo baby coffin posted:

Only if you want to grow plants outdoors. Or have wildlife.

But otherwise I think I read in the patch notes that the next version will prevent certain "not actually a threat" problems from happening for certain ideologies.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is there a mod to let you build your own sun-obliterator? Presumably needing massive amounts of power and increasing raid frequency.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

drugs: yes or no?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

punishedkissinger posted:

drugs: yes or no?

Drugs always yes.

It's way easier to have "drink/snort/smoke in case of emergency" items that immediately cancel an extreme break risk.

Then you get into the benefits. Even without having access to hard drugs, social drugs like psychite tea and beer can be excellent to have on hand. Psychite tea becomes a staple in my colonies for the tiredness buff (slows it down) and mood benefit. It's also a super quick recreation filler.

Things like wakeup and go-juice are situational. I frequently don't use them for the addiction risk, however, if you had a source those things can be excellent. A go-juiced doctor after a nasty fight can patch many a wound, quickly.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
psychite tea, beer, smokeleaf, and ambrosia are the 4 drugs that have safe dosing intervals that you can respect to never get addicted to anything. of these two, beer and smokeleaf have deleterious effects that mean you don't want to use them regularly - beer increases social fight chances by a lot, smokeleaf hurts consciousness and moving. the other two are pure goods. psychite tea is a mood boost, recreation satisfier, and rest satisfier. ambrosia satisfies recreation and boosts mood. consequently, you are outright hurting yourself if you're not using these.

all hard drugs have a basic addiction chance, but it is 2-2.5% depending on the drug. flake is the exception; it has a minimum of a 4% addiction chance, but there's literally no reason to use flake ever. addictions suck rear end, but they're ultimately handleable. compared to the damage caused if your front line melee blocker goes down, i generally will be happy to use a combat drug if i'm not sure about an upcoming conflict.

my drug policy is basically:
psychite tea: 1x every 2 days, when mood below 50%
ambrosia: 1x every 2 days, when mood below 50%
smokeleaf: carry 1. use only when ordered (panic button for extreme breaks)
go juice: carry 1. use only when ordered (combat panic button)
wake up: carry 1. use only when ordered (work panic button)

i do not use yayo or flake because they use the same dependence as psychite tea and it can get conflated and it's more than i want to think about. the good news is that you can generally scrounge up enough go juice and wake up from dead enemies to give to most people without needing to prioritize the research to make it. i also don't like beer. the complicated creation process is too obnoxious for me to care. i COULD grow a bunch of hops, process them into wort, put the wort into a barrel, and wait to get beer...or i could just grow some smokeleaf and roll some joints.

luciferium is an awkward discussion. highly conditional and potentially helpful. but i personally have willingly used luci exactly twice in all of my time playing, so in general the answer's no.

the above conversation is why teetotaler is actually a pretty seriously bad trait, but it's not actively harmful the way pyromaniac or whatever is.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

The Lone Badger posted:

Is there a mod to let you build your own sun-obliterator? Presumably needing massive amounts of power and increasing raid frequency.

It's not quite the same, but if you look for ritual rewards mods on the workshop, there's two different ones that let Darkness ideos call eclipses with rituals.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
I was curious how the new tree mechanic works, with the orange trees and the dryads, etc, so I went and bonded one of my pawns to multiple tress without realizing that this would consume literally all of their time. I lowered the "bond level" to as low as I could get it, but she's still busy all the time talking to the trees (or whatever). Is there a way to un-link my pawn from these things? Any downsides to chopping the trees down? Is this mechanic even worthwhile?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It's a way to get gobs of food or wood or herbal med year-round in all climates, if you want that, but yes it takes up a pawn's full time and doesn't leave room for stuff like meditation or other work. The haulers are OK, the fighting/tanking types aren't great.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's a -15 mood hit for like a full year if their tree dies

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Azhais posted:

It's a -15 mood hit for like a full year if their tree dies

this knowledge gives me a -15 moodlet

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Consider, however, that you can use your moral guide to effectively remove a moodlet like that, if they are good at social.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Flesh Forge posted:

It's a way to get gobs of food or wood or herbal med year-round in all climates, if you want that, but yes it takes up a pawn's full time and doesn't leave room for stuff like meditation or other work. The haulers are OK, the fighting/tanking types aren't great.

Counterpoint: The clawers have 80% armor penetration, so they can shred mechs in seconds.
They are supremely squishy though, so get used to losing a few on the regular.

Edit: The tree connection meme provides +25% pruning speed, so the trees are more viable if you have that.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Aug 24, 2021

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That's fine when you have a very small mechanoid raid, but then you start getting 25 or 50 or 65 centipedes and they just get set on fire and make tragic noises :(

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Maybe, I haven't reached that kind of endgame with a tree colony yet, but you can get them very early in a run, and they are really useful against early-mid game raids.

And you can always just convert them to something else, like haulers, once you've got your colonists geared up in endgame gear.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah a big thing I've realized is that the production dryads put out a fairly absurd amount of resources if you're willing to devote a colonist to it, and the only penalty for switching between types is the six days it takes for them to convert. There's no real reason not to have some combat dryad trees if you get the chance early on unless you have an absolute minimum of plant workers.

(Also the corrupted versions Alpha Animals adds with the alienist ideology are kind of broken, since you get some absurd options like meat-producing equivalents to the berry ones and nothing prevents you from using the uncorrupted dryads too.)

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
It's fairly weak otherwise. The animals you can mutate stuff into are, with a few exceptions, not great, so giving strong tree options is nice.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Carcer posted:

It's fairly weak otherwise. The animals you can mutate stuff into are, with a few exceptions, not great, so giving strong tree options is nice.

Yeah, I did an Ocular run and quickly gave up using the "mutate animal" ritual because even if you're mutating large combat animals you generally get things that die to a couple of dudes with guns instantly.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
The Unblinking Eye is pretty neat but the problem with ranged animals is always getting them into a position to use the attack, then hoping they don't do friendly fire (In the eyes case I saw it literally melt a raiders brain through a helmet, so uh, be careful with that) and even if you manage both of the above you have no control over targeting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Counterpoint, having a group of trained nightlings (Alpha Animals) and crystalline caracals poisoning and setting on fire swathes of enemies while the handler lobs flash grenades to keep them in place is pretty entertaining.

...then the lucky sniper bullet sends half those animals berserk. :(