Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

I had a wrestling forum nemesis back in like 2005 that was also Welsh.

Makes you think...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

Keep calm and Nate the chive on

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

mess with the nate, you get the chive

Sinistar
May 8, 2004

I hunger.

Defector.com comments posted:

AEW fans seem to think there’s some secret, untapped potential to Wyatt (people claimed the same with Brody Lee), and I think we’ve seen all there is to see. The only guy they signed so far that WWE screwed up on is Punk. The rest (Moxley, Hager, Pac, Lee, Spears, Miro, Andrade, FTR, etc.) haven’t gone on to be anything that special. None of them became Stone Cold, Mankind, HHH, etc.

Andrade hasn't become bigger than Stone Cold in 3 weeks. Wrap it up, AEWailures.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Miro is literally a top 10 or top 5 candidate for best gimmick or most improved.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Hes #1 for Best Gimmick.

Also he says Moxley is Not Special so yeah this is just self delusion.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Sinistar posted:

Andrade hasn't become bigger than Stone Cold in 3 weeks. Wrap it up, AEWailures.

Pretty hosed of them to use someone that passed away as an example of not meeting their potential since he didn't really get the chance to see how high he could go. On top of just being wrong.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

Also the fact that nobody could run live shows for like a year and now pretty much everyone is getting awesome reactions and pops

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Mox is an obvious No Duh but after seeing how Miro's developed he might be one of the biggest fuckups/oversights in recent WWE memory, dude could be slotted into the main event of any company and be a megastar now

also lol the sour grapes have begun already on Bray Wyatt, a guy who had incredibly obsessive fans right up to the day he was released

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://wrestlingnews.co/aew-news/booker-t-says-cm-punk-struck-out-during-his-aew-debut-because-he-talked-about-wwe-and-ice-cream-bars/

quote:

Booker said, “CM Punk is back man and I got a chance to witness the return of CM Punk, I really did. I don’t know, you guys out there that are big AEW fans, you guys agree to disagree with me. But me, I’m always telling it like it is, y’all know that…and I’m gonna tell it like it is on this one right there as well. I want all of the listeners, I need you guys to challenge me on this one. I’m begging you to challenge me on what I’m talking about…”

Booker continued, “CM Punk came back and he had 10 full television minutes to go out there and make his point as far as CM Punk being back. He had the perfect crowd to be able to go out there and really, I’m talking about have a party up in that United Center. But CM Punk came back and took his moment and chose to talk about WWE. That right there was just a total miss as far as I’m concerned [he] struck out. I can only imagine if The Rock had that same 21,000 in Miami, Florida. The Rock would have talked about every landmark in Miami and that everybody in Miami frequented…he would have had those fans going crazy with excitement but CM Punk chose to talk about the WWE and that 9 minutes went back so slow when it could have been a party going on in the United Center.”

Booker’s co-host Brad Gilmore said he agreed that Punk’s promo was lackluster but the moment was big.

Booker continued, “I’m saying from a perspective to where I’m making my comeback and I’m thinking about the other side, that’s totally a place that I wouldn’t even be going. As well as you talk about how the moment started out on a rise and after the music stopped playing, the rise just started going down. It never came back up. That’s a moment for you? I get it, I understand that but my point is the moment, once the bell rings and the bell rings after the music stops as far as I’m concerned and I just don’t think CM Punk delivered the way he could have as far as a promo goes because I didn’t feel the promo. I felt like a guy talking about WWE and when you’re talking about the other side, only thing you’re doing is giving those guys airtime. Of course, I know the AEW crowd will eat that up but for me as a professional, that’s the last thing that I’m gonna be thinking about is the other side. I’m gonna be thinking about the here and the now. Like I said, I could be wrong but I just think he missed a moment there in front of his hometown [with] over 20,000 people…”

In response to someone in the chat room on YouTube, Booker said that he is not biased because of his affiliation with WWE.

Booker continued, “For me, it was the same promo that was given in WWE. It was about WWE. It had nothing meaningful to it as far as what I’m gonna create, who I’m gonna blow up, how I’m gonna take AEW by – coming in being a nice guy and throwing out freaking ice cream bars, who gives a drat about that?”

After a commercial break, Booker acknowledged the listeners in the chat were not happy with what he said about Punk. Booker added that he likes CM Punk and he’s not saying that he doesn’t bring anything to the table. Booker also said that he wants Punk to do well in life but he feels that Punk could have made a bigger impact if he didn’t talk about WWE and ice cream bars. Booker also said that Darby Allin is a babyface and he would have picked a heel for Punk’s first match in AEW.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
yeah he probably should have just lied about why he stopped liking wrestling for 7 years.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Someone should tell Booker he was gone for 7 years and not 7 months.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

booker deserved losing that one match

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

The way potentially reasonable criticisms get backed up with just total willful ignorance is bizarre to me. Like, I don't personally agree with it, but "CM Punk shouldn't have talked about the WWE in his return interview" is at least a theoretically defensible take; not a great one, but there's at least some understandable basis for it.

But then he immediately transitions into 'and the fans would've been going crazy and it would've been like a party instead of what it was' when you can watch the show and see 15,000 people basically screaming their heads off for ten uninterrupted minutes before being white-hot for every single other thing that happened that night

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

No but you see if we don't talk about bad things then the bad things don't exist and we're all so much happier for it.

Now who's excited about Crown Jewel?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

It's revisionist history happening in front of your eyes. People who don't want the e to look bad keep going on about how it wasn't that big.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Taking shots like that at the other company is cool and fun. Doing entire scripted segments about The Huckster from the monday night wars is dumb as poo poo.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

CarlCX posted:

The way potentially reasonable criticisms get backed up with just total willful ignorance is bizarre to me. Like, I don't personally agree with it, but "CM Punk shouldn't have talked about the WWE in his return interview" is at least a theoretically defensible take; not a great one, but there's at least some understandable basis for it.

But then he immediately transitions into 'and the fans would've been going crazy and it would've been like a party instead of what it was' when you can watch the show and see 15,000 people basically screaming their heads off for ten uninterrupted minutes before being white-hot for every single other thing that happened that night

also "It had nothing meaningful to it as far as what I’m gonna create, who I’m gonna blow up"

like dude CM Punk got them to chant Darby's name in the middle of CM Punk's return promo, he set up a PPV match and made it sound massive right out the gate, one of the first things out of his mouth was a nod to Britt Baker, did Booker actually watch the promo or just read a twitter summary of it

e: Punk shouted out the whole back locker room full of young guys, making it real clear where his priorities were, and established he was back long term and full time, could not have been clearer about the here and now and what he's gonna do in AEW

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Aug 24, 2021

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!

Lid posted:

Hes #1 for Best Gimmick.

Also he says Moxley is Not Special so yeah this is just self delusion.

Moxley, the guy who is always 4 seconds away from being overcome by the ghost of stone cold and cutting a promo.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Yeah CM Punk basically did every single thing Booker “wished” he did and spoke pretty much only on the WWE at two points. Big points, sure, but the vast majority of his promo was spent talking about his time in ROH and getting people excited for his time in AEW. I think Booker made his mind up about the promo before it was even done.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Yeah CM Punk basically did every single thing Booker “wished” he did and spoke pretty much only on the WWE at two points. Big points, sure, but the vast majority of his promo was spent talking about his time in ROH and getting people excited for his time in AEW. I think Booker made his mind up about the promo before it was even done.

Seth Rollins food off table

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Book's just mad he never had a crowd that rabid for him

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
You people obviously don't remember the amazing promo that Emperor Booker made when he came to TNA.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

Gonzo McFee posted:

You people obviously don't remember the amazing promo that Emperor Booker made when he came to TNA.

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnfHkJHzV6c

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

funny how people get eternally pissed when CM Punk airs his grievances yet when a legit well-liked guy such as Jon Moxley aired the exact same grievances, nobody gave him poo poo.

also wtf how do people miss a grand majority of Punk's promo was largely about how much he wanted to help out people and have cool matches and needed time to heal, he didn't even mention WWE nearly as much as TNA guys did when they came over like Aron Rex/Mr Kennedy/etc.

lol though that Booker listed a successful promo as "naming a bunch of landmarks" yeah really stimulating poo poo that would have been

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

DLC Inc posted:

funny how people get eternally pissed when CM Punk airs his grievances yet when a legit well-liked guy such as Jon Moxley aired the exact same grievances, nobody gave him poo poo.

Seth did. "The food on muh table! :qq:"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
"Hey Chicago, I could really go for a deep dish pizza right now. So how about them Bulls, huh?"

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

quote:

I can only imagine if The Rock had that same 21,000 in Miami, Florida. The Rock would have talked about every landmark in Miami and that everybody in Miami frequented

I hope the people at Booker T's school aren't taking a promo class. That's some real local sports team bullshit.

Imagine Eddie Kingston cutting a promo at Grand Slam saying "The Highline, The Empire State building, The Statue of Liberty, The Met life building, Central Park" and then peacing out while the fans go wild.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

A huge amount of the criticism that these guys give would still suck even if they hadn't gotten the exact same chance as Punk ten years ago with the freedom to do what they want and produced some of the worst television in wrestling history.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Lol at Booker saying "Who gives a drat about the Ice Cream Bars," as if that wasn't one of the biggest pops in the promo and wasn't all over social media and news reports for days after. He wants to talk about cheap pops naming landmarks as the way to go and then poo poo on the ice cream?

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
[CM Punk standing inside of an iconic Chicago landmark he chose for his debut] "Hey eat one of my favorite local ice cream bars while I fail to cash in on my hometown appeal in a t-shirt printed just down the street in Chicago."

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I want to hear CM Punk listing the local landmarks for every single city they run shows in

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I want to hear CM Punk listing the local landmarks for every single city they run shows in

Only if Jericho comes out with him and they're all on a giant comedy list prop, and also a bunch of them are just Armbar.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
I bet CM Punk will be sure to take promo advice from Booker T.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Look CM Punk should have listened to Booker, walked out to a massive pop, and stop there saying "Chicago you're lookin real jacked baby." for 10 minutes.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Sinistar posted:

casual reminder that it took until Mania 13 for Stone Cold to truly take off

that was nearly a year after Austin 3:16

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

As a kid the 3:16 line didn't make any sense to me and I'm not sure it does now

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

Poasty posted:

As a kid the 3:16 line didn't make any sense to me and I'm not sure it does now
Watching that is one of my first childhood memories of wrestling and my mom banned it in the house until my dad started sneaking VHS tapes his cousin made copies of the PPV with Austin and Mike Tyson fighting.

I don't remember why I was punished for seeing it but I had to write the bible verse John 3:16 a hundred times to repent for my sin of watching what my dad had on TV at the time

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

fez_machine posted:

I hope the people at Booker T's school aren't taking a promo class. That's some real local sports team bullshit.

Imagine Eddie Kingston cutting a promo at Grand Slam saying "The Highline, The Empire State building, The Statue of Liberty, The Met life building, Central Park" and then peacing out while the fans go wild.

Bruce Pritchard gives the speech about “they can’t win in their home town because people watch all over the world”, then the product is watching promos about the Idaho Buckledome and the Kansas Antelopes while we salute the American flag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Tampa Bae posted:

I don't remember why I was punished for seeing it but I had to write the bible verse John 3:16 a hundred times to repent for my sin of watching what my dad had on TV at the time

what in the gently caress lol