Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I think azhdaha is the worst fight in the game by a lot, even worse than stormterror. It's just so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

No Wave posted:

I think azhdaha is the worst fight in the game by a lot, even worse than stormterror. It's just so bad.
Stormterror gets a pass from me by virtue of being 1. easy, 1a. fast, and 2. more a DPS check than a 'did you buy your way into Zhongli or get a high level support or self-healer' check

Azhdaha is the worst by far, but Golden House is maybe my least favorite, because it's so god drat rippy. Half the time I just phase-phase-phase him while taking zero damage, and the other half there's a brief pause and oops someone just died

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

No Wave posted:

I've been afraid to try the real fight... I had to turn down my WL to beat the quest version...

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

remove the cutscene from golden house

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

dogsicle posted:

remove the cutscene from golden house
At the very least make the skip a reliable prompt

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

dogsicle posted:

the event menu had a red dot for leyline stuff

Doesn't help in my case because I'm putting off doing TM.

Speaking of which, how long does it take to marathon all the rewards for that?

The first time around, I had to drag my feet to finish TM but did sorta end up liking it. This time, I noped out after the tutorial when there were like 8 pages of instructions and they threw all the fortune stuff in my face right away.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

well, at least earlier in the event there was a cap so you could only gain 7/10 levels in a single day. might still be there

other than that it's like 500 average for a solid run which would be 20 total runs. not sure real time on that. but also it's just an event shop so you can grind up what you can get and then prioritize from there.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Azhdaha is just a slog but it's not really hard, Stormterror on the other hand keeps throwing me off the dragon's neck because I attacked and stepped on the wrong polygon :argh:

And yeah on the artifact grind being unrewarding, I started buying artifact XP off the Tubby shop because I dread using more resin at this point.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
azdadha's weekly-rotating elemental resist is a huge pain in the rear end for players without at least 3 separate leveled DPSes in 3 separate (non-geo) elements.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

xiao ftw

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Cryo-pyro azhdaha day is the ONLY time keqing excels. She's close to optimal.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
How do you tell what the elements are for that week? Other than just picking something and going in.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Baiard posted:

How do you tell what the elements are for that week? Other than just picking something and going in.

it's displayed on the domain door before you go in

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I ignore azdahas resists because Zhongli, Noelle, Fischl, and Klee do not give any fucks about resists.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

The sigils at the entrance to the domain show the elements of the week.

I normally use Razor/Diona/whoever, I'll never get that no-shields cheevo but whatever.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Traveller posted:

I normally use Razor/Diona/whoever, I'll never get that no-shields cheevo but whatever.

Just do the level 60 version.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Oh right, that's a thing.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Also his element crystal drops will be of the elements he is for the week

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Hmm, Theater Mechanicus doesn't seem too bad now that I realize the fortune thing exists from level 1 and somewhat understand it. It at least makes every run different. Last time, things got pretty samey. And it's nice not having to worry about earning side currency and allocating it to tower upgrades.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

i thought for a second about doing resin refreshes for paimongems and even a measly 120 resin costs two bucks a day at the absurd $100 conversion ratio. Sixty bucks a month just for a little extra moondust.

Like the closest I can come to justifying it is saying that Abyss will almost cover one refresh a day. But 60 is still piddly so I unno why bother just want things less quickly.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
it made sense around release when all the whales would be one AR / WL bump above the normal players so if you wanted to be able to coop with your whale buddies you had to buy primogem refreshes too (since AR exp is based on resin spent)
now that even f2ps have had more than enough time to reach AR55 and there's no meaningful AR breakpoint after that, it's not even worth it for the whales

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Huh Amazon prime rewards are quite disappointing.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

azdadha's weekly-rotating elemental resist is a huge pain in the rear end for players without at least 3 separate leveled DPSes in 3 separate (non-geo) elements.

or 1 (one) eula

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
razor presumably works too
maybe I'll try him for once

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

dogsicle posted:

well, at least earlier in the event there was a cap so you could only gain 7/10 levels in a single day. might still be there

other than that it's like 500 average for a solid run which would be 20 total runs. not sure real time on that. but also it's just an event shop so you can grind up what you can get and then prioritize from there.
The cap is a global cap, so you can shotgun the whole thing in one day if you want. I appreciated the idea here of making each run somewhat different, but after a certain point you just spend the entire time drawing sticks looking for the pyro orbital death laser one or one of the other kinda broken combos.

If you can get through level 10, you can grind out the remaining exp on an easier level (I picked 7 just because it's a single chokepoint).

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
I like azdaha, I run it coop with randos and play whatever fits with the rest of the group, usually a healer. not having any control over what anyone else is doing keeps it fresh :shrug:

I just crowned jean's ult so I'm never running stormterror again, lol

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Incoherence posted:

The cap is a global cap, so you can shotgun the whole thing in one day if you want. I appreciated the idea here of making each run somewhat different, but after a certain point you just spend the entire time drawing sticks looking for the pyro orbital death laser one or one of the other kinda broken combos.

If you can get through level 10, you can grind out the remaining exp on an easier level (I picked 7 just because it's a single chokepoint).

you don't need any broken combos. just pick one tower type, pick all the atk-boosting sticks, and mash reroll instantly whenever you have no sticks for that tower available (or only EM sticks or something)
you can clear any stage with any tower, except when the waves get enemies immune to a particular element. you just need to stack all your upgrades on one tower type and not think very hard

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
Wolf > Childe >>>>> Stormterror >> Azdaha

Wolf wins as the generic inoffensive default boss fight. There's just nothing wrong with it.
I didn't like Childe at first, but it grew on me and you can mess around plenty in there. It's never too long and the attacks are interesting and varied.
Stormterror is just a Sonic 2006 boss fight
Azdaha seems like it wants to encourage messing around with different elements week to week, but the boss is too beefy, demanding well geared/talented teams or else it turns into a huge slog. Coupled with the shield gimmick and how much it spams difficult to dodge attacks, it's just kind of an annoying boss fight. Not difficult, just annoying. Maybe it could be decent if it had 30% less health/resistances and slightly longer delays between attacks.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Wolf being immune to Anemo and Cryo is a bit obnoxious. Childe is fun, though sometimes he gets the Kairagi problem of running away too much. Stormterror's perfectly fine, but once you've beaten him once he starts to feel more like a timesink (unless you skip all the waiting by killing him instantly with Ganyu). Azdaha would feel a LOT better if he didn't have SO many attacks that hit through dodges and do a metric asston of DoT if you don't have a shield. Also, some of his elemental attacks just stay out for way too long, like the Pyro pools that can land all around him and make him impossible to approach for a while. Also, his burrowing attack is literally the worst and exists to waste your time.

To be fair though, Azdaha is the only one of the 4 that actually feels like a boss, I guess.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Childe is easily the best of the fights so far; a variety of attacks but nothing impossible to dodge, human sized so there's no issue with lovely collisions and not entirely immune to random elements.
Stormterror is basically a puzzle boss so he's tedious if you don't have the damage to kill him in a couple loops and he's still glitchy as poo poo with collisions; climbing and standing on his neck is wonky and during his collapse animation i've been put on the wrong side multiple times where i glitch through his neck when i try to climb, it's just kind of terrible for that.
Wolf is tedious to fight if you don't good long range damage because his constant moving puts you out of range of melee while not letting you get close because his collision doesn't move with his attacks. Also being immunte to cryo and anemo is annoying.
Azhdaha would be better if it weren't for him being a huge sponge and all the terrible collision issues that the wolf has but worse because he's bigger; getting caught on his toe or being shoved out of bennett's ult by the air around him is annoying as poo poo. Also the fact that you straight up can't kill him when he's burrowed and doing his tail attack thing because it keeps him at 1 health so you then have to keep dodging until he decides to stop being an rear end in a top hat.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

so the stupid magu kenki in the abyss has taught me that xq/kazuha/bennet are so barely slowed down by your supposed primary dps dying why even bother having one. just have Zhongli babysit or some poo poo.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Hazdoc posted:

Wolf being immune to Anemo and Cryo is a bit obnoxious. Childe is fun, though sometimes he gets the Kairagi problem of running away too much. Stormterror's perfectly fine, but once you've beaten him once he starts to feel more like a timesink (unless you skip all the waiting by killing him instantly with Ganyu). Azdaha would feel a LOT better if he didn't have SO many attacks that hit through dodges and do a metric asston of DoT if you don't have a shield. Also, some of his elemental attacks just stay out for way too long, like the Pyro pools that can land all around him and make him impossible to approach for a while. Also, his burrowing attack is literally the worst and exists to waste your time.

To be fair though, Azdaha is the only one of the 4 that actually feels like a boss, I guess.

Kazuha can dodge done attacks by going up

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I only bothered to count the boss materials in my inventory yesterday and not including Azdaha I have enough to take every talent on every character to ten if I had the crowns. I want a new project after getting everyone to 80/90, maybe running leylines for the next six months will be fun

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

kater posted:

so the stupid magu kenki in the abyss has taught me that xq/kazuha/bennet are so barely slowed down by your supposed primary dps dying why even bother having one. just have Zhongli babysit or some poo poo.

That's why you just toss Xiangling in there for the pyronado.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

bandaid.friend posted:

I only bothered to count the boss materials in my inventory yesterday and not including Azdaha I have enough to take every talent on every character to ten if I had the crowns. I want a new project after getting everyone to 80/90, maybe running leylines for the next six months will be fun

your next project is r5ing all craftable weaons. enjoy your 5 years of gameplay

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Garrand posted:

Also the fact that you straight up can't kill him when he's burrowed and doing his tail attack thing because it keeps him at 1 health so you then have to keep dodging until he decides to stop being an rear end in a top hat.

i make it a point of hitting him once with diona when he comes out of that state for the kill
he deserves to die to the baby cat for his insolence

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Might finally try to play this and do some rerolling (yeah I know, mostly pointless) in the background while I do other stuff tomorrow.

What characters should I be absolutely thrilled to get? Looking for a good balance of fun and OP.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

BabyRyoga posted:

Might finally try to play this and do some rerolling (yeah I know, mostly pointless) in the background while I do other stuff tomorrow.

What characters should I be absolutely thrilled to get? Looking for a good balance of fun and OP.

You can't actually get the majority of 5*s at any given time, including any of the particularly meta ones. None of the default banner 5*s are all that meta and neither is the currently featured rate up 5*.

That said if you are going to reroll for meta reasons you should probably reroll until you get like 3-4 characters out of your 20 rolls on the newbie banner, maybe any 5*. Of the 5*s, Jean and Mona see real endgame use, Diluc is fine and overlaps with a lot of other fire DPS units that are considered better, and Keqing and Qiqi are considered pretty bad in endgame. If you're rerolling for general character pool note that Bennett and Xingqiu are considered the two best 4*s, with Bennett likely being the single best unit in the entire game (definitely top 3), and that Noelle is guaranteed from the beginner banner and Xiangling is free. Meaning you want to roll 2-3 4*s that are not Noelle or Xiangling, and Bennett/Xingqiu are particularly good if you get them.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Getting any five star from the beginner banner is lucky and they are all useful or at the very least silly and fun. It’s definitely not worth rerolling to get specific five stars like people might’ve done when it came out.

The game really isn’t such that a character pull can be a dud early on either, they can all do different things and just keeping them up on levels counts for a lot for a long time.

I’d say Sucrose and Fischl are the two to look out for. They are very ridiculous characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ultima66 posted:

You can't actually get the majority of 5*s at any given time, including any of the particularly meta ones. None of the default banner 5*s are all that meta and neither is the currently featured rate up 5*.

That said if you are going to reroll for meta reasons you should probably reroll until you get like 3-4 characters out of your 20 rolls on the newbie banner, maybe any 5*. Of the 5*s, Jean and Mona see real endgame use, Diluc is fine and overlaps with a lot of other fire DPS units that are considered better, and Keqing and Qiqi are considered pretty bad in endgame. If you're rerolling for general character pool note that Bennett and Xingqiu are considered the two best 4*s, with Bennett likely being the single best unit in the entire game (definitely top 3), and that Noelle is guaranteed from the beginner banner and Xiangling is free. Meaning you want to roll 2-3 4*s that are not Noelle or Xiangling, and Bennett/Xingqiu are particularly good if you get them.

So the meta for pulling (for f2p or low spender) is basically to horde until the unit you want gets a rate up banner, and then pull a bunch of 10x? I did a trial run and got Qiqi, but it sounds like getting a few solid 4s might be better than holding out for any of the 5s that are active currently.