Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.bworldonline.com/what-filipinos-really-think-about-chinas-territorial-grab/

quote:

The position of presidential candidates on China’s territorial grab in the West Philippine Sea will largely determine who resonates strongest to the voting public. For many, it is the deciding factor on who they will vote for.

The West Philippine Sea dispute and our relationship with China are among the issues that matter most to the voting public. It is among our people’s festering concerns along with the failing economy and joblessness, the manner by which COVID’s negative outcomes are being handled, and corruption in government. The difference, however, is that the West Philippine Sea issue is the only one that touches on national patrimony and sovereignty. It is the concern in which voters are emotionally invested.

What is the national sentiment on the Duterte administration’s handling of the West Philippine Sea dispute? The Social Weather Station (SWS) provided the answers in a recently concluded briefing organized by the Stratbase Institute.

A national survey was conducted from June 23 to 26 to capture the public’s sentiment on the subject. SWS gathered responses from 1,200 respondents across the country. The sample set yields a margin of error of just +/- 3% on total results and +/- 6% for area-specific results. The following were the outcomes:

Question 1: The Philippine government is not doing enough to assert its rights on the country’s territories in the disputed waters. Agree or disagree?

An overwhelming 47% of respondents agreed that the government is not doing enough, while 24% thought the contrary. This gives us a net agreement rate of 23%.

Interestingly, Metro Manila, Luzon, and Mindanao have the strongest sentiments about the issue, with net agreement rates of 25%, 24%, and 24%, respectively. The sentiment was only 17% in the Visayas.

Analysts believe that lower agreement rate in the Visayas is due to their geographic location. See, the island of Palawan blocks the Visayan island cluster from the West Philippine Sea, thus insulating Visayan fishermen from Chinese patrols and acts of aggression. In contrast, the threats are clear and present for those living in the western seaboard including the Ilocos region, Zambales, Mindoro, Palawan, Zamboanga, and Sulu.

Question 2: The Philippines should form alliances with other countries to defend the Philippine’s territorial and economic rights in the West Philippine Sea. Agree or disagree?

The sentiments were strong for this question too. A whopping 69% of respondents agreed that the Philippines should forge international alliances to protect its rights while only 10% disagreed. This yields a national net agreement rate of 59%. Metro Manila respondents felt the strongest about forging international alliances as it posted a net agreement rate of 67%. It was 59%, 57%, and 55% for Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao, respectively.

Question 3: How important is it for the Philippine government to build structures on the vacant islands of the West Philippine Sea to assert its rights. Important or not important?

Again, the sentiments were convincing as 69% said it was important while only 10% said it was not. This gives us a national net agreement rate of 59%.

Question 4: Respondents were asked to rank which measure they think the Philippine government must adopt in order to effectively secure our rights over the West Philippine Sea.

Seventy-seven percent of respondents said that the military capabilities of the Philippines needed to be to strengthened; 65% said that the Philippines must conduct joint maritime patrols and military exercises with other countries; 57% said that the Philippines must fully implement the terms of the Visiting Forces Agreement and Enhanced Defense Cooperation Agreement; 39% said that we must establish a code of conduct among ASEAN countries; and 38% said that we must bring up the issue to the United Nations.

Question 5: Is there adequate protection of fishermen’s rights, our natural resources, and Philippine territory?

To this, the national sentiment was “tepid,” as SWS describes it. In other words, the sentiment is positive but weak. Those from Luzon felt government’s efforts to protect our rights are “barely adequate.” Those from the Visayas and Mindanao thought government’s efforts are adequate. The sentiment reflects President Duterte’s strong support in the south.

Question 6: Has the Philippines benefited from President Duterte’s friendship with China?

Metro Manila and Luzon do not think the friendship has benefitted the country as both geographical blocks registered a net approval rating of –4% each. The Visayas clocked-in a net approval rating of zero while Mindanao resoundingly agreed with +22%. Again, this reflects Mindanao’s support for Mr. Duterte.

Trust towards China is poor in Metro Manila and Luzon but slightly better in Visayas and Mindanao.

This sums up the sentiment towards government in relation to China’s territorial grab. The results suggest that the public is generally dissatisfied.

The reality is that we are quickly losing large swaths of Philippine territory to China. Duterte’s policy of Appeasement and Accommodation has effectively enabled and abetted China’s territorial grab. What’s worse is that China has accelerated its invasion, taking advantage of President Duterte’s last year in office. Earlier this year, it asserted its claim over our Julian Felipe Reef, stating that it is part of Nansha Islands (Spratly Islands) which it insists are within its territory. Beijing’s newest claim is well within the Philippine’s exclusive economic zone.

Even if our President seems to be playing for China’s team, we, the citizens, are not hopeless. We can — no, we must (!) continue to resist and show our disapproval on the state of affairs. What better way to do this than to shun Chinese made products in favor of Philippine-made goods? A conscious act on our part can support and strengthen Filipino industries whist making a dent on China’s war chest, however small.

Simply look at the bottom of every product you buy — if it says “Made in China” or “PRC,” choose a Philippine-made alternative instead, even if slightly more expensive. If one is not available, choose one made in the ASEAN or a friendly country.

Think about it — if the 22 million households in the Philippines refuse to purchase P4,000 worth of Chinese products per month, and instead purchase Philippine made alternatives, we effectively channel P1.056 trillion ($21.12 billion) a year to Filipino enterprises instead of handing it over to China. As we know, the money we pay for goods purchased from China is what they use to harass our fishermen and build islands in our territories.

Until we elect a President who defends Philippine sovereignty in word, action, and policy, the best we can do is resist

Andrew J. Masigan is an economist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
ah, mercantilism but woke

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
Yeah because "Buy American!" worked real well over here in the states. Absolute loser poo poo.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/danieldumbrill/status/1429729582853148682?s=21

of course lol

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

ngl I thought this specific point might have been too removed from context but even in the original video his point is literally just, people of different ethnicities can't get along, it is not possible

What a shitbird. I know of him but never watch him and didn't even realize he was south african but figured he was a shitheel since the one time he came to Japan I saw he just hung out with a youtuber called TkyoSam who is an absolute loving garbage human being

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Red and Black posted:

of course lol

When I was on a travel Youtube binge years ago, I saw a few of his videos and while I wasn't looking for clues, I remember him briefly mentioning that he was from South Africa and just from how he talked vaguely about it, I just knew that he was a living Spitting Image reference.

So yeah, of course lol

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
if i start making youtubes about making GBS threads on mao can tankies to map out my family tree for me too?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Mantis42 posted:

Don't trust anyone talking about geopolitics if that's how poorly they draw Europe from memory.
i think he just drew a map of middle earth

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Ferrinus posted:

only marxism can deliver on what critical race theory promises
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIexJCpFsD8

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Kill All Cops posted:

if i start making youtubes about making GBS threads on mao can tankies to map out my family tree for me too?

why, was your dad in a death squad?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
After demonitization, Modi has come up with a monetization scheme to privatize.

India Aims to Raise $81 Billion by Leasing Infrastructure Assets

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

its breaking my brain that all the objectively correct things these children are saying are somehow supposed to be an indictment of the tyrannical society theyre living under lol

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Kill All Cops posted:

Winston basically does it for people. He's always talking about his family and how much they suffered because black people are the real racists in South Africa and Mandela was a terrorist etc etc..

Just independent of all the China stuff the dude actually is really really lovely, and he can't help himself but work that into everything.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

ive never understood how white people in south africa rationalize that like literally the whole country was just poo poo you stole from black people by what possible logic were you ever entitled to any of it

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

stephenthinkpad posted:

After demonitization, Modi has come up with a monetization scheme to privatize.

India Aims to Raise $81 Billion by Leasing Infrastructure Assets
A clip of the SNL parody of the Amerika TV show: https://streamable.com/kxircg

SNL Announcer Voice: In the late 1980's the United States was staggering under a massive foreign trade and budget deficits. Desperate for hard cash a lame duck administration mortgage the nation to its thrifty neighbor to the north: Canada. Repossession proceedings quickly followed and 10 years later only a few pockets of patriotism still resisted the new owners of a country called Amerida.

Tired: Amerida
Wired: Chindia

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/abcnews/status/1425898001814331398?s=20
https://twitter.com/business/status/1425314811731091460?s=20

are western countries really going to try to paint China's COVID elimination strategy as bizarre and unsustainable. I know they are annoyed at lockdowns disrupting supply lines.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
There was an op ed a few months back that claimed US willingness to let their people die of covid makes them stronger than the feeble minded Chinese. They will not be deterred by reality in their pursuit of anti China news.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, I recently saw a few videos on the protocols for actually entering China at this point. It is a lot more intense than anywhere else I have seen including passangers in full jump suits with KN95s and visors etc.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Atrocious Joe posted:

are western countries really going to try to paint China's COVID elimination strategy as bizarre and unsustainable. I know they are annoyed at lockdowns disrupting supply lines.

what does your heart tell u

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Atrocious Joe posted:

are western countries really going to try to paint China's COVID elimination strategy as bizarre and unsustainable.

yes. even disregarding China locking down their ports at everyone else's expense (which sort of disproves the idea that it is China that is isolating itself, but rather that everyone else hurts when China doesn't open up), it becomes harder and harder to peddle the lie that you can't completely eliminate COVID when there's a nation of 1.4 billion people that's repeatedly done it

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

You can't eliminate covid in a region of 1.4 billion people who all value their personal freedom over literally anything else.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Atrocious Joe posted:

About 6 months into the pandemic I thought China would get a modest competitive boost thanks to their lockdown strategy. At this point I think they've massively accelerated their rise by years. While Western nations(outside New Zealand) are nuking their own citizens and long term prospects China is suffering the least damage. This poo poo isn't even over and we have reactionary cults harassing patients outside hospitals and threatening healthcare providers, hordes of idiots fighting the police for their right to spread the plague in Australia, governors in the US banning COVID measures even while hospitals collapse, rising sectarian violence, etc.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Don't forget about the Truckies

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Atrocious Joe posted:

yup, they're doing the same with us. "here's why stopping thousands of people from dying is actually bad" etc.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

exmarx posted:

yup, they're doing the same with us. "here's why stopping thousands of people from dying is actually bad" etc.

the talking point of "see, even Australia and Vietnam couldn't stop it! you can't! stop trying!" has been going around more and more this week

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

the talking point of "see, even Australia and Vietnam couldn't stop it! you can't! stop trying!" has been going around more and more this week

even so, the 7 day average for Vietnam is 10.5k new cases, and the 7 day average for the United States is 150k.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

About 6 months into the pandemic I thought China would get a modest competitive boost thanks to their lockdown strategy. At this point I think they've massively accelerated their rise by years. While Western nations(outside New Zealand) are nuking their own citizens and long term prospects China is suffering the least damage. This poo poo isn't even over and we have reactionary cults harassing patients outside hospitals and threatening healthcare providers, hordes of idiots fighting the police for their right to spread the plague in Australia, governors in the US banning COVID measures even while hospitals collapse, rising sectarian violence, etc.

Especially when data now shows the protection of the "silver bullet" mRNA juice against Delta is down to 4 months. And who the gently caress knows what the virus is planning next in the hordes of American walking incubators.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, I recently saw a few videos on the protocols for actually entering China at this point. It is a lot more intense than anywhere else I have seen including passangers in full jump suits with KN95s and visors etc.

god I hate western society

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Raskolnikov38 posted:

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

The institute that did the modelling for Australia's eventual open er uppening, and all the states agreed to, has refuted the prime minister's (and his minion's) claims that it can still happen with uncontrolled spread.

https://twitter.com/TheDohertyInst/status/1429753057332502532?s=19

We currently still have less than 1,000 deaths total, so 1,400+ more would be hard to swallow.

i hate our PM so goddamn much. he might be the one i hate the most. abbot got a lot of attention for being an onion eating freak who made us look as stupid as the americans who elected bush, but ScoMo has this fake loving reasonable everyman affection that infuriates me that people don't see through while he pushes through truly heinous and self-harming policies.

gently caress I HATE HIM

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Margaret Thatcher and Ronald Reagan destroyed the world

oh well

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

crepeface posted:

i hate our PM so goddamn much. he might be the one i hate the most. abbot got a lot of attention for being an onion eating freak who made us look as stupid as the americans who elected bush, but ScoMo has this fake loving reasonable everyman affection that infuriates me that people don't see through while he pushes through truly heinous and self-harming policies.

gently caress I HATE HIM

Enjoyed enough of your vassalage to America yet

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
every PM governs in the shadow of the governor-general

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Guo wengui new MV dropped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNlvK6BPK4I

There are at least 10 avatar worthy images.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
So are all of these guys music videos ripping off the HU?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

stephenthinkpad posted:

Guo wengui new MV dropped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNlvK6BPK4I

There are at least 10 avatar worthy images.

lmao is that.. native american style through black leather industrial style though taiwanese style?

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Nah it's a poor UNFATHOMABLY RICH man's version of these guys:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM8dCGIm6yc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

even so, the 7 day average for Vietnam is 10.5k new cases, and the 7 day average for the United States is 150k.

Vietnam is actually running very "China like" quarantine procedures. I can see China use some of these procedure if infection goes to the next stage. A lot of factories have to set up indoor tents to house the factory workers. And the workers have to eat and sleep inside the factory, no going home allowed.