Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

FlamingLiberal posted:

It looks like he's wearing an all-black suit briefly about halfway through the trailer? I don't think it's the same one as the red and black one that shows up later.

Yeah, looks like the Raimi one too with the raised lines.

I mean I was happy to see BW since I hadn’t been to a theatre in over a year, and I’m excited for Eternals since I’m a big Kirby nut, but THIS is the kind of poo poo I’m all in for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I'm torn because this looks insane and I'm excited to see how all that insanity comes together, but at the same time, I kinda wish they had gone in a less insane direction with everything. Something a little smaller scale that continued to explore the fallout of Peter's identity being known, and exploring more stuff that had been set up previously and continuing to build off of all of that in a much different way.

Like, I have absolutely no idea where they can go from here, except for continuing to merge more Sony stuff into the MCU like Venom and Morbius which I don't really want at all.

My excitement beats out my concerns for now though. Let's get dumb with it and enjoy the ride.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Aug 24, 2021

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
But seriously guys is this an alternate universe version of Strange or something? Who in hair&makeup took a look at that semen helmet he's wearing and thought "This is fine," send me ur location I just wanna talk

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
By the way, did anyone else notice this?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They're really reusing a lot of Dr. Strange's existing MCU iconography between the city folding in on itself and Strange pushing out Peter's soul, huh?

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Arist posted:

They're really reusing a lot of Dr. Strange's existing MCU iconography between the city folding in on itself and Strange pushing out Peter's soul, huh?

I'm not sure we've seen Strange do the soul push thing before, so that might just be to help indicate he's closing or has closed the gap between him and where the Ancient One was, power level wise

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Strange is basically still a neophyte. Like his movie ends just a bit before Infinity War and then he gets snapped and this seems like it picks right back up after Far From Home which was right after End Game. So he could just be relying on his old tricks because that's what he knows. But he's also got a mastery of it here he didn't have in his movie, the Ancient One did. So he's leveled up.

But like its weird that the Sanctum is all frozen over and Wong is just leaving. And maybe that ties into Shang Chi? And maybe the Sanctum is a mess because it was abandoned for five years? And maybe Strange is being stupid because he's a cocky rear end and feels like he owes the kid and just assumes he can control the magic after his entire career is outsmarting Dormamu and Thanos in short order?

But I definitely had the "Mephisto playing tricks" thought.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Do we know what the plans are for Holland Spidey after this? I remember his deal sounding like it was a trilogy and while I can see him coming back for Avengers movies and the like, it's kind of hard to imagine solo flicks escalating any further than what's going on in this movie.

I guess what I'm asking is; are we looking at live action Miles in the next 3-6 years? Will Donald Glover come back to play Aaron Davis???

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Do we know what the plans are for Holland Spidey after this? I remember his deal sounding like it was a trilogy and while I can see him coming back for Avengers movies and the like, it's kind of hard to imagine solo flicks escalating any further than what's going on in this movie.
Sony and Marvel agreed to two more movies after Far From Home, so there's one more movie with Spider-Man in it guaranteed. After that they'd need to renegotiate but it seems like they've got a good working relationship now, so who knows?

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

It's also a long shot, but, with all this multiverse stuff and Maguire and Garfield returning I could see some executive at Sony thinking "we can do Spider-Man 4 and The Amazing Spider-Man 3 while also continuing the Holland films". Spider-Man is the biggest thing they got, and they've tried to milk it with villain films, but having an excuse to make as many Spider-Man films as possible has probably crossed someone's mind.

Though, I would be soooo down for a Raimi directed Spider-Man 4.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

OnimaruXLR posted:

I guess what I'm asking is; are we looking at live action Miles in the next 3-6 years? Will Donald Glover come back to play Aaron Davis???

No idea what the actual MCU plans are, but Holland has indicated that he has no problem playing Spidey under he's middle aged and they fire him.

I've actually gotten really used to Peter and Miles just both existing in the same universe in the comics post-Secret Wars and there are honestly so many different Spider-Men and so many story directions that they never really feel like they're stepping on each toes. But it did take decades of Spider-Man history to reach that status quo so it might be need a little more time in the MCU. They're really leaning hard into the multiverse this phase which would be the perfect was to introduce Miles, but Spider-Verse really threw down the gauntlet in that arena and I'm sure they don't want to just ape that.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
so between Maguire and Garfield, which one takes the name Ben Reilly and which one becomes Kaine

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I just think having Miles around additionally would be a good way to explore the "normal" Spider-Man stories that certain people are torn up about the Holland movies not being, while Peter can continue to unexpectedly show up in other superheros's living rooms and make their lives more complicated in overblown grandiose mega-scale adventures

Like, he goes to Wakanda for a diplomatic mission, accidentally spills some hot coffee on a disgruntled engineer, and that guy decides to make an army of Vibranium Spider Slayers for revenge. This somehow brings back Ultron.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like they dropped a lot of the stuff they were setting up in homecoming like Prowler/Miles and Scorpion

But honestly it was worth it to sacrifice that poo poo to bring back Raimiverse.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I kinda assume that Strange is tricking Peter by showing him an illusion of what his life would be like, instead of actually doing the hugely irresponsible thing

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Fangz posted:

I kinda assume that Strange is tricking Peter by showing him an illusion of what his life would be like, instead of actually doing the hugely irresponsible thing

I don't know, I think if it's a multiverse fakeout like Wandavision, then people'll riot.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Noob Saibot posted:

I feel like they dropped a lot of the stuff they were setting up in homecoming like Prowler/Miles and Scorpion

But honestly it was worth it to sacrifice that poo poo to bring back Raimiverse.

That's how I'm feeling. You had Vulture, Scorpion, Aaron Davis (and sorta Miles Morales), Tinkerer, Shocker, and Liz Allen to continue exploring after that first movie. You had Chameleon and Mysterio to continue exploring in the sequel. Maybe other things too.

My initial thought would have been a smaller scope story focused on Peter dealing with Jameson's continued harassment and whipping people into a frenzy (which this movie will apparently start off with) and having that then lead into Scorpion being created to kill Peter, since that would tie into the comic origins. And then you could build off of that even further and introduce other plot points or conflicts or villains. You really couldn't do Punisher's first appearance with Punisher, but a modification of that story with another character who has been convinced Spider-Man is a dangerous murderer that they must hunt down. Maybe someone who thinks of themselves as the greatest hunter with the skills to do it.

But what do I know?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I think it's kind of funny that they're leaning so heavily on the Raimi villains considering the fact that most of them were redeemed by the end of their respective films. I don't want Alfred Molina to be evil again after he sacrificed himself. :(

Film looks good, though! I'm kind of excited even though I didn't like the first two MCU Spider-Man films all that much.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
here, ill just get in on the ground floor

I BET THAT USNT STRANGE ITS ACKCHULLY MEPHISTO

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

JordanKai posted:

I don't want Alfred Molina to be evil again after he sacrificed himself. :(

That is a concern, especially how Molina says this picks up right after SM2. Doesn't make too much sense for him to be acting evil. Goblin though is fairplay, he was fairly unrepentant, that bit of "don't tell Harry", implies a bit of shame, but otherwise he was a manipulative psychopath till the end. How he (and Ock) are back alive is another matter, but, perhaps we'll learn exactly what Harry's Norman visions were. Though that in itself could be a shame, I liked how those visions were ambiguous, could be Harry losing his mind/subconscious knowledge of his dad's identity/could be a recording or A.I left by Norman in the event of his death/could be a still alive Norman loving with Harry/could just straight up be Norman's ghost. It's cool how they never answer it.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I mean the simplest answer is that these are SIMILIAR, but chronologically distinct versions of the Raimi Spider-villains. It's the multiverse, baby.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

OnimaruXLR posted:

I mean the simplest answer is that these are SIMILIAR, but chronologically distinct versions of the Raimi Spider-villains. It's the multiverse, baby.

Big honkin’ leak-related spoilers, you have been warned:
They are the actual Raimi/ASM villains because Goblin and Electro both have dialogue with their respective Peters about remembering being killed.

Which does complicate Doc Oc of course, but maybe the tentacles are back in control or something.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

JordanKai posted:

I think it's kind of funny that they're leaning so heavily on the Raimi villains considering the fact that most of them were redeemed by the end of their respective films. I don't want Alfred Molina to be evil again after he sacrificed himself. :(

Oh yeah, that reminds me. How does this Multiverse stuff actually work? Is it something that's been explored in the comics before?

Cuz based on this, it seems like there's some time displacement stuff going on too. Not just a jumping between/merging of concurrent universes. Is it sorta related to how they time traveled in Endgame, where you're not really going back in time, but different realities based in infinite moments in time?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Someone on Reddit pointed out that there’s a shot toward the end where it almost looks like Sandman’s... sand is blocking Peter from being hit by Electro’s lightning. Maybe we will get sympathetic/redeemed Raimi villains after all?

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

I'm far far far less interested in all this multiverse stuff than I would have been with something more straightforward like Jameson/Scorpion or even just "Hey all these lower level villains know who he is now so he's run ragged trying to survive them all" thing

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Still hoping against hope for animated Miles to show up

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
hope nicholas Hammond shows up as the cancer cum spider man

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I'm excited for it because the returning actors like Alfred Molina and Willem Dafoe are awesome. I at least assume the latter will show up considering the trailer

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Well, apparently one good thing about this is that it's reminding everyone how much we all loved the Raimi films back then.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

They are dope films. Even Scorcese thinks so.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Something the movies have failed to do so far is to really develop the villains like in the comics, since they apparently all have to die at the end of each movie. In the comics the villains are recurring characters and sometimes they get entire arcs of their own and of course keep coming back to do stuff. I think that's why people liked Thanos so much, because he actually got two movies and the first one featured him A LOT. I'd like to see more villain focus in future movies tbh

A superhero is nothing without a supervillain :colbert:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Something about the trailer didn't work for me. Everything pre-Strange was cool but by the end I was underwhelmed, I think maybe because I didn't see Spider-Man do anything. Suppose that will be later.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Zzulu posted:

Something the movies have failed to do so far is to really develop the villains like in the comics, since they apparently all have to die at the end of each movie. In the comics the villains are recurring characters and sometimes they get entire arcs of their own and of course keep coming back to do stuff. I think that's why people liked Thanos so much, because he actually got two movies and the first one featured him A LOT. I'd like to see more villain focus in future movies tbh

A superhero is nothing without a supervillain :colbert:

The thing is, with these being comic book movies, even the villains that are "dead" can be brought back and utilized in an amusing enough fashion if they feel like it. Loki stands as a pretty clear example.

Well, guys like Ultron and Yellowjacket can. I don't think they'd bring back Robert Redford from Winter Soldier. He was just some dude.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

While it does look exciting and of course I'm going to see it, I'm a little bored of 2 of the movies now being "Peter's Big gently caress Ups". Yeah yeah he's a stupid high school kid, but in one he just hands over a doomsday device to a villain and now he's contributing to just breaking existence.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
To be fair he's just asking the supreme wizard if he's got any tricks for this. It is the wizard who fucks upp all of reality, by the looks of it

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

It would be super funny if this turns out to be a stealth One More Day adaptation.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Being sick of Peter loving up would be like being sick of Spider-Man swinging on webs. It's just what he does.

They'd don't call it the Parker Luck because it's good.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Pete fucks everything up and Strange loving everything up are just two solid stories. Combining them is a no brainer. Semi-related isn’t the current Spidey books currently in the process of actually undoing the Mephisto poo poo and Strange is involved in it?

I’m ready for the 2nd third Spider-Man movie from the third spider-man film series Rebuild of Spider-Man: You Can (Not) Undo

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Semi-related isn’t the current Spidey books currently in the process of actually undoing the Mephisto poo poo and Strange is involved in it?

Maybe, but unlikely? No Strange as of yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

X-O posted:

Maybe, but unlikely? No Strange as of yet.

Had to look it up since I swear I read an article about it and here we are

Strange is following up on something that happened to Peter and is dealing with Mephisto himself.