Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Thanks for the diarrhea on the bed, Princess :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yesssss the cat pooped and pissed (in the litter). Relieved.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

VelociBacon posted:

Got back home to find my super constipated cat had taken the biggest dump of his life, so big same.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

D34THROW posted:

Thanks for the diarrhea on the bed, Princess :thumbsup:

VelociBacon posted:

the duality of catte

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

How often do cats poo poo and piss? Is this a once a day thing?

Some new behaviors - today the kitten started pouncing on everything. When we first got it, she would play with her toys but today she's been prowling and then pouncing on them. Sometimes she'll fixate on a random spot on the wall and then get all bunched up before launching at it and then immediately moving to some other area. I love her.

Also I noticed today after she's fed she tries to cover the food tray up like you'd expect to see a cat do with litter. She didn't try to cover up her piss/poo poo in the litter.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

How often do cats poo poo and piss? Is this a once a day thing?

Like it depends. How often do you go?

It’s definitely not a once a day thing and for sure not if they get treats or something.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Like it depends. How often do you go?

It’s definitely not a once a day thing and for sure not if they get treats or something.

Huh I would have figured once a day. I usually go a few times a day to be honest with you because I work shift work and drink liters of coffee every day.

e: have some more cat photos I've been sending them to everybody I know anyways

This cat alternates between these two states seemingly every 1.5 hours and there is only about 5 minutes of transition between them.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Aug 24, 2021

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

VelociBacon posted:

This cat alternates between these two states seemingly every 1.5 hours and there is only about 5 minutes of transition between them.

This is perfectly normal for a kitten. :)

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Oh ya for sure. I just thought the thread would appreciate it.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yessssss an excellent shithead. making GBS threads is a once a day thing, pissing is... idk probably more than that, it's been a while since I had to deal with litterboxes.

Covering up food is one of those instincts that are randomly assigned to some cats, it has to do with hiding your tracks from potential predators. Pretty funny that she won't cover her poo poo the same way though. Some cats with a particularly strong version of the instinct will actively carry stuff over to put over their food.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Ours usually poop once a day, pee twice or thrice a day.

I freaked once when Fartie started burying her wet food thinking she voided. Nope...just a kooky kitty.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
So my partner has a cat, and my cat and theirs haven't gotten on the best in the past. Is there any way to get them used to eachother when we live in separate studios? Worrying when we move in together down the line it will be this big issue if we don't start now since I know how territorial cats are.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't think so, cats basically forget about other cats after a short period so the next time you introduce them you're starting all over.

The exception is bonded cats, they'll get kitty depression if their best friend disappears. This mostly happens between kittens but I it can happen between adult cats. Though if these two have already met each other and not gotten along you probably have no chance of that.

Your best bet is when moving in together keep each cat in their own room for a week or two, taking turns allowing one to explore a common area. It'll suck for that period but it'll get them used to smelling another cat. In general they'll learn to tolerate each other's presence even if they never turn into friends. But it might also turn into hissing and pissing so you should have a plan if they can't cohabitate.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

VelociBacon posted:

Also I noticed today after she's fed she tries to cover the food tray up like you'd expect to see a cat do with litter. She didn't try to cover up her piss/poo poo in the litter.

LOL this is how my fat cat is too. If he’s in a rare mood, he’ll scratch at THE FLOOR OUTSIDE OF THE BOX instead of the litter that he’s standing in. At least he makes it easy for me to keep track of who’s making GBS threads.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

One of my cats regularly pees on the floor next to the litterboxes. I put down a washable puppy pad so I don't have to clean the floor every day.

Now she shits on it too.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad

xzzy posted:

I don't think so, cats basically forget about other cats after a short period so the next time you introduce them you're starting all over.

The exception is bonded cats, they'll get kitty depression if their best friend disappears. This mostly happens between kittens but I it can happen between adult cats. Though if these two have already met each other and not gotten along you probably have no chance of that.

Your best bet is when moving in together keep each cat in their own room for a week or two, taking turns allowing one to explore a common area. It'll suck for that period but it'll get them used to smelling another cat. In general they'll learn to tolerate each other's presence even if they never turn into friends. But it might also turn into hissing and pissing so you should have a plan if they can't cohabitate.

Tbf there was a tiny kitten causing mayhem the previous times we tried introducing them to eachother so I'm hoping maybe with a calmer environment they may get on better with eachother. But yeah, that's about what I expected to hear. Would be nice to be able to spend a long weekend together without having to run home to feed the cat.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
My cat woke me up tonight after being gone for over a month. :D

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

So we tried to introduce my kitten to my 1 year old nephew. He tends to chase my parents dog and was attempting to do the same thing with her. She was very scared and hid from him but after giving her some food, she allowed him to give her a couple gentle pets. She then went to hang out on the couch, seemingly more comfortable and he started running at her. She hissed (the first time she has ever done that) and so we separated them and kept him away from her.

How do we best continue to get her used to a small child and (hopefully) dogs. She went nose to nose with my parents dog from her crate a while back and seems to be okay with her, but I worry about having them out and about together. She’s an old dog and seems more afraid of her than anything, so probably the ideal dog to introduce her to,

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sounds to me the cat is okay with the kid and you just need to wait for the child to be trained to not bum rush fuzzy things.

Cats and dogs just need (supervised) time to figure each other out. Their play styles are completely different but there's no innate hatred to overcome, they just need to get familiar with each other's limits.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

An update on Latte - it’s now been about two weeks since we got her. She’s sleeping through the night for the most part, eating well, and exploring the house confidently.
Thanks for the thread tips about the homemade cat tower - she loves it!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Beautiful cat and great tower. Might have to look into that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We have an ever evolving box fortress, basically we keep everything amazon (or chewy) sends us and routinely redesign and rotate old boxes out. The cats love it, they get a new jungle to creep around in every week or two.

Eventually a box gets too ratty and it ends up in recycling.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
reduce your carbon pawprint by 25%

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Does anyone have a recommendation for cat treats? We were using purina beyond but apparently they’re discontinued now, and I’ve bought 4 different types of treats and my cat hates all of them.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
We go between Beophar Zahnies voor the dental benefits and Wild Freedom's assorted freeze-dried bits of organs because they're metal af. I like to offer them the hearts of their enemies (chickens) as a treat.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Our cats go apeshit over purebites freeze dried treats, especially the ones in catnip (neither have a strong reaction to catnip either).

Our run of the mill treats are purina whisker lickins. Not the best brand but they've been universally popular with the five cats we've given them to.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for cat treats? We were using purina beyond but apparently they’re discontinued now, and I’ve bought 4 different types of treats and my cat hates all of them.

Bafflingly, almost all of my shelter guys (total of 14 in my room, and it's all but 2 or 3 of them) treat Fancy Feast regular dry food like it's the greatest treats they've ever had. Ignore every "normal" treat I bring in and go crazy for that stuff. Just an additional thought while you're looking at options.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Our cat loves Hills Science Diet t/d dental food as treats. Pretty sure they spray it (and Friskies) with something extra appetizing. My vet sells baggies of t/d as treats so we don't have to buy a big bag just for 5-6 kibble a day.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Hey guys, just out of curiosity is there, like.... an established or reliable method for procuring a urine sample from a cat? Seems kinda like kind of a daunting prospect. One idea my roommate suggested was putting a layer of saran wrap over the litter box, and that sounds like it could be reasonably effective, but saran wrap is easily punctured and all the liquid would probably leak right out of that hole - though probably not immediately?

I guess the "established and reliable" method for procuring a urine sample from a cat is just to use non-absorbent litter. but I was kind of hoping there might be some less... laborious/costly method.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Who needs the sample? Because the vet will do it with a syringe if they need it.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
I once got a kit when Katya's bladder was too empty for the vet to get one. It had plastic beads to put in the litter box, a syringe, and a little vial if I remember correctly. Spent the entire morning getting her to pee and finally a little catnip play session got her going, then raced back to the vet on my bike. Of course nothing was wrong with her.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Last time Prin needed a piss test we got this nonabsorbent charcoal poo poo called NoSorb from the vet, I think. Gave it to us in the urine sample container to take it back in. Can't remember how it worked though.

I can't imagine getting close enough to cat piss to syringe if up. Nothing is worse. Not even Miralax induced kid shits.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

xzzy posted:

Who needs the sample? Because the vet will do it with a syringe if they need it.

We had a rather negative experience bringing our 4 cats to the vet last time - we brought them in for rabies vaccines and such, and they ended up charging us for "wellness checks" at $80 apiece for each cat without even asking beforehand - which consisted of a 30-second visual examination in the case of two cats.

In and of itself that's not so annoying, but then they told us there was some sort of issue with Jackie's kidneys, and refused to elaborate as to how serious it was or what was going on for four days as I tried to get in touch with her every single day - then she couldn't provide anything close to a coherent or satisfactory answer as to what we should do or what the right course of action was. Just being really vague and disrespectful about it, and blowing us off.

So we're going to see a more local vet who typically does house calls and works on animals at small local farms, as opposed to the slicker consumer-ish vet in Boulder we had the bad experience with.. My roommate was the one that spoke to her, and apparently she just said we should have a urine sample ready to run her kidney numbers again.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 25, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, lovely vets exist and it sucks but it's good that you moved on because they aren't worth it.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

dantheman650 posted:

An update on Latte - it’s now been about two weeks since we got her. She’s sleeping through the night for the most part, eating well, and exploring the house confidently.
Thanks for the thread tips about the homemade cat tower - she loves it!

Mind status: Blown. I have a literal wall covered up in Blue Apron boxes because I'm thinking I can use them the next time I move. Whether this will ever be true remains to be seen, so I can absolutely cut some of them up and Voltron them together into a CatFort. How do you do it while keeping it somewhat structurally sound? Just cut smaller holes in the sides then line them up and tape them together?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Takes No Damage posted:

Mind status: Blown. I have a literal wall covered up in Blue Apron boxes because I'm thinking I can use them the next time I move. Whether this will ever be true remains to be seen, so I can absolutely cut some of them up and Voltron them together into a CatFort. How do you do it while keeping it somewhat structurally sound? Just cut smaller holes in the sides then line them up and tape them together?

Yep! I just sort of threw it together with a ton of tape. The inside actually snakes up through the top and I made some holes in the back and front so there are a few paths through. I am absolutely not creative or hands on but it was pretty easy and only took a half hour or so. It’s a little shaky but Latte doesn’t seen to mind. I put her blanket inside one of the inner boxes where it’s dark and sprinkled a bit of catnip throughout. The red line is the path - I just cut rectangular holes. The blue blob is her blanket. There’s also a hole on the back side of the bottom right box.

That’s pretty funny - I was also saving blue apron boxes for moving but ended up not needing to move. They work great!

Harriet Carker fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 25, 2021

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the deets, I'm absolutely trying that soon. I'm not sure where I'll have the floor space but I'm imagining starting out with a small structure like that and just taping more and more boxes to the top and sides, slowly building up a labyrinthine cat citadel for them to run around in. Tuxedo doesn't crawl back into things too much but my torty is all about that 'cramming herself into a hidden corner for no reason' lifestyle.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
I cut holes in the boxes and tie-wrapped them together. the only issue is that the fort is now so sturdy it has been standing for weeks while I thought it would only be for a few days.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/NxJ1Fkq.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/gqDFmQ9.gifv

Cat's favorite place, a laundry storage bin. She enters via the hole on top and exits through the side holes there that she's poking her head out of.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Aug 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Those are some quality murder mittens on that void. :kimchi: