Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The status quo he left them with was no more space freighters working. So both planets are on the way to destruction.

The druggie planet now has (as far as they know) only one canister of treatment left for a deadly plague. And no replacements coming ever, because nobody knows how to fix the ships.

Either they carefully, prudently, and unemotionlessly ration out the last of the drug with full cooperation of the entire populace (and eventually discover they were fooled), OR literally any other distribution happens, and the planet devolves into an all-out war, with every combatant believing that this is an existential struggle where the losers will die horribly.

If there are survivors, eventually they'll figure out the cure is fake when it runs out. And they'll be pissed

Meanwhile the Dealer Planet has literally no industry other than making :catdrugs:. With their freighters gone they will die off en masse long before the pissed off former druggies can develop space travel of their own.

So picard has doomed both planets with his decision, and if the Ornarans eventually get warp travel they will rightly see him as history's greatest monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They doomed theyselves

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Oh, they didn't have any ships left at all? It's been a while since I watched it, I thought they had a couple left that were falling apart.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

It's an 80's Very Special Episode, there can be no solution but death.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

"Bread and Circuses" is kinda like that too.

The whole episode was basically just Kirk, Spock, and McCoy needing to beam back up because this place is loving terrible but we aren't going to do anything about it.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Just hope that Jesus will fix it?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Epicurius posted:

Just hope that Jesus will fix it?

Yup, that was certainly a weird ending.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Fix what? Yeah that Roman Planet is a lovely place, but it's not the Fed's fault.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Considering some of the illustrations in the Krill bible, I do wonder if there are plans to have a god being appear as Avis

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's just a weird ending for a Star Trek episode. We beamed down, bumbled around for a bit, got the leader of the slave resistance killed, the other ship captain dies, and we escape and beam back up. BTW, people are talking about Jesus and maybe that will fix their society before they discover interstellar travel in 200 years or so. Yeah, they can't intervene but from a narrative perspective it's strange as they objectively left things in a worse state than they arrived and that was one of the most overt expressions of religion in all of Star Trek. It's all kinda sloppy for Season 2 Star Trek.

Compare that with something like "First Contact" in TNG where the Federation also walks away, but there's more closure there as the leader says they are going to focus on education to prepare the society for eventual first contact.

One of the bigger plot holes in "Bread and Circuses" is that the captain of the other ship flat out says that there are other survivors, ones that were able to integrate. The Enterprise just leaves them. Even if they managed to integrate, it doesn't mean they don't want to GTFO after being there for 6 years and there's still potential for cultural contamination. Hell, after the captain's betrayal, their death warrant may have been signed if the government knows who they are.

It was also weird that the captain was so insistent in having the crew beam down and integrate into the culture. To what end? So he isn't taken away and jailed? That wasn't even a great plan. All he would have had to do is just tell his native chum "Don't tell them I told you about the space stuff" and just pretend you kept your oath of non-interference as much as possible and you only did stuff to survive. Just fake your death if you wanted to stay and get rid of them. That seems easier than making a whole other starship disappear and not have Starfleet look for it.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

bull3964 posted:

It's just a weird ending for a Star Trek episode. We beamed down, bumbled around for a bit, got the leader of the slave resistance killed, the other ship captain dies, and we escape and beam back up. BTW, people are talking about Jesus and maybe that will fix their society before they discover interstellar travel in 200 years or so. Yeah, they can't intervene but from a narrative perspective it's strange as they objectively left things in a worse state than they arrived and that was one of the most overt expressions of religion in all of Star Trek. It's all kinda sloppy for Season 2 Star Trek.

Compare that with something like "First Contact" in TNG where the Federation also walks away, but there's more closure there as the leader says they are going to focus on education to prepare the society for eventual first contact.

One of the bigger plot holes in "Bread and Circuses" is that the captain of the other ship flat out says that there are other survivors, ones that were able to integrate. The Enterprise just leaves them. Even if they managed to integrate, it doesn't mean they don't want to GTFO after being there for 6 years and there's still potential for cultural contamination. Hell, after the captain's betrayal, their death warrant may have been signed if the government knows who they are.

It was also weird that the captain was so insistent in having the crew beam down and integrate into the culture. To what end? So he isn't taken away and jailed? That wasn't even a great plan. All he would have had to do is just tell his native chum "Don't tell them I told you about the space stuff" and just pretend you kept your oath of non-interference as much as possible and you only did stuff to survive. Just fake your death if you wanted to stay and get rid of them. That seems easier than making a whole other starship disappear and not have Starfleet look for it.

Doesn't that make it an allegory against colonization and forced conversion?

Like, what are they going to do, roll in, overthrow the government, install a puppet regime, and deal with generations of insurrection and unrest?

See also: gangster planet, Nazi planet, and probably a few others that I'm missing.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

pixaal posted:

I hope the smoking comes back very subtly. Like they have started smoking on their home planet but they hide it out of shame from the rest of the Union. But as a gag where you keep finding Moclans putting out cigs quickly and acting like nothing happened. No need to retread tobacco is addictive don't smoke.

Given the air pollution being on their home planet is probably like smoking 2 packs a day anyway. Huffing cigarettes reminds them of home.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The cigarettes bit is one of my favorite things on this show, and anybody who has ever used nicotine can tell you that the "I feel as if I have been standing my entire life and I just sat down" line is absolutely, 100% dead-on accurate. It's such a great subplot.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Facebook Aunt posted:

Given the air pollution being on their home planet is probably like smoking 2 packs a day anyway. Huffing cigarettes reminds them of home.

Lucky Strikes are called "Moclan air filters"

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Brawnfire posted:

Lucky Strikes are called "Moclan air filters"

There's always been "L.S.: MFT" on the side of their packs, and I always heard it meant Lucky Strikes means fine tobacco. I'm sure it could be updated.

Lucky Strikes: Moclan for Treasure? Moclan fine tradition?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The cigarettes bit is one of my favorite things on this show, and anybody who has ever used nicotine can tell you that the "I feel as if I have been standing my entire life and I just sat down" line is absolutely, 100% dead-on accurate. It's such a great subplot.

"Five hundred cigarettes!" is an A+ line reading.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

In the first part of the Kraylon two-parter, there is a moment where Bortus wants a corner piece of cake because it has a flower on it and now I wanna know what Moclan desserts are like. Other than the aged glass of parasite goo…

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

kefkafloyd posted:

"Five hundred cigarettes!" is an A+ line reading.

Peter Macon loving kills. I busted up laughing the first time I heard Bortus say "I see the clown."

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Peter Macon loving kills. I busted up laughing the first time I heard Bortus say "I see the clown."

It’s really weird to see him speak normally and emote like a human while in makeup. He just embodies Bortus so well that it feels like a completely different entity.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Finally got around to watching S2E2 and it was leaps and bounds better than S2E1. The A and B plots were interwoven well. One of my top episodes so far.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I ordered the trade paperbacks for the season 1.5 and 2.5 comics because I need more Orville

Nitrousoxide posted:

Finally got around to watching S2E2 and it was leaps and bounds better than S2E1. The A and B plots were interwoven well. One of my top episodes so far.

S2E1 was originally part of season 1

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Episode 3 was great. Alara's story was tied up well and it was great seeing Picardo and Billingsley getting an episode together as two Star Trek doctors.

Iron Crowned posted:

S2E1 was originally part of season 1

That explains a lot. it definitely feels like a season 1 episode.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Rewatching season two and I just hit the moment where the thread title comes from. Just the best.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

"Nevertheless, it is crushed."

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Okay, that one got me S2E6. In the scene on the bridge when they're talking about Issac's date when they cut to Bortus I'd completely forgotten about his mustache and I burst out laughing.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

That mustache is such a great bit.

Really he's a great straight man and you can bounce almost anything off bortus and have it amusing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Tom Guycot posted:

Really he's a great straight man and you can bounce almost anything off bortus and have it amusing.

He is good, in that way.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A good 75% of my enjoyment of this show flows from Bortus. The captain and his relationship poo poo is tired and boring, but Bortus and his lovely marriage are wonderful.

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"
Which is the episode where Ed asks if he can get some snacks or something and bortus says “I WILL NOT FAIL YOU”?

I just did a rewatch of all episodes and somehow missed it

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
post-marriage relations bad, lovely marriage good

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

gbs but from 2004 posted:

Which is the episode where Ed asks if he can get some snacks or something and bortus says “I WILL NOT FAIL YOU”?

I just did a rewatch of all episodes and somehow missed it

~36 minutes into s1e7

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

Erulisse posted:

~36 minutes into s1e7

Ohhh yeah the episode I skipped halfway through cos it sucks

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

gbs but from 2004 posted:

Ohhh yeah the episode I skipped halfway through cos it sucks

the great thing about bortus is that his scenes are always good even in really bad episodes, he's never really involved in the awful part of the plot because he's too busy doing weird moclan poo poo

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

Jazerus posted:

the great thing about bortus is that his scenes are always good even in really bad episodes, he's never really involved in the awful part of the plot because he's too busy doing weird moclan poo poo

Yeah the actor who plays him really nails it

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

There is a deleted scene from “A Happy Refrain” where they are playing golf in the simulator. Bortus and Klyden roll up in full golf regalia and it’s awesome.

The two of them becoming nicotine addicts is great, too. “The tingles! Do you feel them?!”

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

S2E8+9

They really need to diversify the ship designs. there's like 1-2 ship models for each race.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah, I was a little disappointed that Union ships are apparently all just The Orville, but different sizes. Star Trek did better with having multiple ship classes that all share a common design ethos.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I love that the bigger they are the more butt hoops they get though

I like to imagine they slowly grow

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

I love that the bigger they are the more butt hoops they get though

I like to imagine they slowly grow

They do look a lot like Leviathans from Farscape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, I was a little disappointed that Union ships are apparently all just The Orville, but different sizes. Star Trek did better with having multiple ship classes that all share a common design ethos.

It feels more like it depends what species pilots it, like they've gone all in with the "almost one species ship"
Hence the Moclans having their own specific ones, you know?

So all the ones at earth were human ships