Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

Way too many variables to answer that.

SlapActionJackson posted:

15K is easily achievable MPS4Ss, depending on how many burnouts you do. Just measure the tread depth and be sure.

Thanks. Like I said. I am a total moron when it comes to tires. Like I wish I kept the picture of my entirely bald rears I had maybe two years ago.

I am watching things more carefully these days but driving a lot less due to the pandemic kind of screwed with my perspective again.

At least the MPS4S is the one true tire for my car so that’s one less variable to worry about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

luminalflux posted:

I put a set on my Crosstrek, had no issues getting them from Tire Rack, delivered within like 3 days of my order. Thought they were going to be louder than they are based on the tread pattern. Only driven them on dry asphalt so far, we'll see come winter how they do.

I haven't driven them more than in the parking lot after an install, but we sold a shitload of CC2's last fall/winter, and the reviews from the customers have been universally positive. They're usually priced under the Weatherreadys from Goodyear too, which is probably half Michelin being aggressive with pricing in the first year, and Goodyear ramping the poo poo out of their pricing. Most of our stock Goodyear SKUs went up $40-60 in the last 3-4 months, with the Weatherreadys mostly on the top end of that.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I want to try the Vredestein Quatrac (no Pro or other Suffix) as a cheaper alternative, though the European mags have it as higher rolling resistance, which is important in a car with a 90 mile range. hmm

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I really wish I could have gotten a hold of a set of 15" wheels to stick drag radials on and the tires to go with them.

So now I'm looking for another set of 17" rear wheels to mount my regular tires on so I don't have to pay to mount/balance when I put the drag radials away for the last month or two that i drive the car.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I want to get some UHP tires for my 2017 outback (it’s the 3.6, so it zips for a big wagon). The oem size is 225/60r18. Just want to confirm if sticking 245/55r18 tires on stock rims it would work without messing with the awd, speedo, or cause other weird issues.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Head Bee Guy posted:

I want to get some UHP tires for my 2017 outback (it’s the 3.6, so it zips for a big wagon). The oem size is 225/60r18. Just want to confirm if sticking 245/55r18 tires on stock rims it would work without messing with the awd, speedo, or cause other weird issues.
The difference is a tenth of 1%. In one mile your tires will now rotate 705 times instead of 704. You'll be fine.

edit: or maybe its the exact same

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You'd probably have the same amount of variance in diameter by choosing one manufacturer over another while staying at the same size.

If the wheel is wide enough to take the wider tire and there's no clearance problems, I'd run the 245s.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
id think youd want at least an 8" wheel for 245s. i just put 235s on some 15x8s, and the fit is about perfect. with 18s youd have a lot less sidewall height, so any bulge is going to be a lot more pronounced.

then again i do also have 255s on 7" wheels on a different car, and its fine, but it doesnt look right and it wallows around more than i would like.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Okay, I know next to nothing about tires. I recently moved to a new house and the ramp into my garage is steep with a harsh angle that scrapes the bottom of my car. I have a Tesla Model 3. I'm having trouble figuring out if I can put tires on it with a larger diameter to lift the undercarriage up just a bit. I have 18" rims, do I have to stick with 235/45R18? Is there a way I can put larger diameter tires on the stock rims?

edit: hopefully I'm using correct terminology?

Cithen fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Aug 14, 2021

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I don't have any experience with the Model 3, but from some quick googling it sounds like it's difficult to fit much larger diameter tires to the Model 3 without rubbing. In the thread I linked below, some users suggest going to 245/45R18 which are very slightly larger in diameter, but may not help your situation. Depending if you have 8.5" wheels, 255/45 R18 might also fit but I'm not sure, it might rub.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/model-3-tire-size-for-maximum-sidewall-18%E2%80%9D-or-19%E2%80%9D.212230/page-2

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Thanks, I appreciate it!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Alternatively, if the issue is just your own driveway - consider a set of curb ramps?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Got my tires from Tire Rack and went with their ASAPTire installer option and it was incredibly convenient. Scheduled it online, the person called ahead of arriving, I gave them the wheel locks and that was it. They have a neat installer van with all the things and after a while the tech finished and that was that.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Wrong thread.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 18, 2021

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

New winter rubber just showed up for the MINI. Sumitomo Ice Edge in 195/55/16. I’ve never run these particular tires before but for $290 shipped for a set of four I’m willing to give them a shot.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I had those, they seemed more capable in the snow/ice than Michelin X-Ice3, at the expense of making it feel like I’m driving an off-road truck. Thanks for reminding me that I need to look for snow wheels soon. I’ll be getting the Sumitomos again, the truck-like handling didn’t bother me.

In other news: Costco says the Michelin sale will start August 26th, at least in my area! Pilot Sport AS4’s will be going on the Hyundai soon, with the backup choice being BFG Sport Comp-2 A/S+ if those go on a good sale elsewhere.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh Discount Tire had $110 off Michelin so I ordered the CrossClimate2s. I was tempted to try the Vredestein Quatrac but the rolling resistance wasn't as good and that's an important factor with a low range EV. Get them tomorrow.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

I've got a 2018 FWD CX-5 that I use for kid hauling and car camping. One of the OEM Toyo A36s has a slow leak that I'm pretty sure I picked up on a gravel road. I'm trying to find something that'll handle fire roads and gravel roads and whatnot that isn't complete overkill. I was worried because most reviews for them seemed to be focused on on-road quality, but it sounds like I'll be okay with Defender LTXs? That's the gist I'm getting from having read the last few pages. America's Tire has a Labor Day sale on Michelins, so I'm thinking of pulling the trigger. Just want to confirm here before I go spend the money.

E: actually in my size they have CrossClimate 2s, not Defenders. Like $1k for the set with the Labor Day discount, taxes, etc applied. Is this sane? Seems pricy

Steely Dad fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 5, 2021

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Steely Dad posted:

I've got a 2018 FWD CX-5 that I use for kid hauling and car camping. One of the OEM Toyo A36s has a slow leak that I'm pretty sure I picked up on a gravel road. I'm trying to find something that'll handle fire roads and gravel roads and whatnot that isn't complete overkill. I was worried because most reviews for them seemed to be focused on on-road quality, but it sounds like I'll be okay with Defender LTXs? That's the gist I'm getting from having read the last few pages. America's Tire has a Labor Day sale on Michelins, so I'm thinking of pulling the trigger. Just want to confirm here before I go spend the money.

E: actually in my size they have CrossClimate 2s, not Defenders. Like $1k for the set with the Labor Day discount, taxes, etc applied. Is this sane? Seems pricy

I paid $916 tax and all for a set of CrossClimate 2's on tire rack, plus $120 for installation in Daly City.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I was going to post this in the stupid question thread, but my half assed look at the first two pages brought me to this joint.

Its getting to be that time of year.
I need some snow tires for my Tacoma. please gently caress off with the WELL ACTUALLY you should probably be looking for WINTER TIRES because *whatever reasons*. "Snow tires rolls off the tongue better for me so as far as I'm concerned....

Tire size is 265/65R17
I've only ever owned 3 sets of snow tires ever, two sets of Blizzaks, one on my old Protege and one on my Corolla, and a set of General Altimax Arctics also on my Corolla. I did not like the Generals, but at the time I'd just bought the Corolla a month or two before, and was strapped for cash and they were cheap, plus I needed rims too so I bought them. They were *fine* but I didn't like them nearly as much as the Blizzaks

So, without further ado, I need a set of rims and tires for my Tacoma. I don't give a gently caress about being a baller in the winter, so I'm going to just get whatever the gently caress steelies are cheap and the right size. As for tires, what are some recommendations? Are the Blizzak truck tires any good? I'm willing to entertain suggestions, recommendations, anecdotes etc about other brands/models of snow tires for trucks.

I'm planning on checking out discount tire and tire rack for reviews of whatever has been suggested here but will most likely buy locally, or somewhat locally.

Thanks goony goons.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I can't speak for how they are on trucks.

Costco sells blizzaks so if you have one near by be sure to price it there too.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I ran Yokohama IceGuard IG51V on my F150 for six winters without issue. When I took them off they still had 7/16 tread left and full tread block sipping. Did fantastic in pretty much all conditions except on literal ice rinks.
https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/iceguard-ig51v

Edit: Looking at sizes......I think Covid may have hit Yokohama rather severely. Even my size is no longer listed.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 23, 2021

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Tire rack reviews are something I skim through every few months as a tire tech, since most of our info at work comes from the manufacturers which are mostly "our tire is better than these three other tires in these specific metrics". Blizzaks are excellent, as are the Michelin Xice or the Dunlop SJ8 winters.

Mostly you're going to be limited by what's available, tires have been as hosed as everything else in the supply chain. Michelin has been telling me 2-3 months on a lot of stuff that's out of stock, and I've had more orders canceled due to lack of availability than I can ever remember before. Goodyear/Dunlop have seemed to be relatively well stocked, but I haven't really started hitting Blizzaks for orders yet. Look at the rating charts on Tire rack, then call around and get some quotes locally.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Wow, guess I got lucky, I had no problem getting my Michelin CC2s. I even got a $110 "rebate"

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
CC2s seem to be about the only thing they've been able to keep good stock of, at least common sizes. I've had a lot of Defender LTXs on long backorders, and some of the less common Defender T+H. It'll be interesting to see what happens when poo poo hits the fan around late Oct/early Nov, or whenever the first major winter storm hits. I've already got half a rack of winter tires that people prepaid for waiting for appointments in October.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

PitViper posted:

CC2s seem to be about the only thing they've been able to keep good stock of, at least common sizes. I've had a lot of Defender LTXs on long backorders, and some of the less common Defender T+H. It'll be interesting to see what happens when poo poo hits the fan around late Oct/early Nov, or whenever the first major winter storm hits. I've already got half a rack of winter tires that people prepaid for waiting for appointments in October.

Oddly my local tire shop was able to get defender ltxs in a day. I expected a much longer timeframe when I ordered them.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I'm not saying they're all hard to get, I get plenty of tires from both my local distributors and from the big 3's national warehouses. But overall, I've had more problems getting Michelin specifically this year than in the past. 90% of my orders get filled with no issues. But when I've been averaging 60-70 sets a week, that's definitely a handful of orders a month that I have to spend time on the phone with my account reps figuring out wtf is going on, if they can even give me an ETA on a particular size.

Pirelli is hands down the best to deal with from my end of things, followed by Goodyear.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I'm getting ready to order some winter tires for my Golf Alltrack. Going to drop down from the OEM 17" to a 16" with bigger sidewall. Any reason to spend more for alloy wheels vs just buying steelies? The weight difference doesn't look too excessive.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Trip report on Bridgestone RE980s on a Mazda3 after about 20k miles: They're loud and getting louder. Dry/wet traction and overall handling continue to be astounding but the noise. The noise. The noise. The noise. Either I have a failing wheel bearing or the treads are now generating a low level "growl" noise at highway speeds. gently caress these tires. Going MIchelin next time.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Does the noise get louder or quieter if you turn one way or another?

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Am I crazy or are cheap factory take-offs available for sale no longer as common as they used to be? I'm trying to find some wheels for snow tires for my Hyundai and it's been hard to find 17's instead of 16's or 18's. Alternatively, how annoying is it to deal with the cheap aftermarket wheels that require centering rings because the center bore is so huge?

Also, I've got Pilot Sport AS4's on the way to Costco - can't wait to replace the factory Hankooks with something better. I was hovering between those and the BFG AS+'s, but the $150 Costco discount that's going on right now pushed me over the edge.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I mean, I can't imagine that many people are swapping wheels on a Hyundai just because they want to.

Jeep wheels, on the other hand, you can pretty much trip over every day on CL/FBM for slightly above scrap value.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Am I crazy or are cheap factory take-offs available for sale no longer as common as they used to be? I'm trying to find some wheels for snow tires for my Hyundai and it's been hard to find 17's instead of 16's or 18's. Alternatively, how annoying is it to deal with the cheap aftermarket wheels that require centering rings because the center bore is so huge?

Also, I've got Pilot Sport AS4's on the way to Costco - can't wait to replace the factory Hankooks with something better. I was hovering between those and the BFG AS+'s, but the $150 Costco discount that's going on right now pushed me over the edge.

OEM wheels have been getting crazy expensive lately, even like 16” base model alloys, so I go aftermarket pretty much all the time for winter etc.

Aftermarket wheels are usually fine. Centering rings are no big deal and if you buy wheels from Tire Rack or whatever they come with the install hardware.

I’ve had a set of wheels in my garage for years from my Civic Si that I’m going to use on my MINI for winter wheels and I just had to research the wheel hub size for those specific ones and buy rings that adapt to the MINI size. I bought the rings on eBay for like $10?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

RIP Paul Walker posted:

bummer, I only see a 110 discount

anyone have input on Conti dsw06 plus vs Michelin AS4?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I think the $150 ended yesterday.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

What's a decent all season for my mom's (2017 iirc) CR-V? It snows some in the winter but doesn't usually accumulate. She will never push the tires in a performance sense. Comfort, road noise, tread wear are most important. She probably won't want to spend more than $150 per without a very convincing reason

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I never had my '13 CR-V in snow but I never found a tire for it that I liked better than the Continental Cross Contact that came on it. They were usually pretty cheap, too.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Tyro posted:

I'm getting ready to order some winter tires for my Golf Alltrack. Going to drop down from the OEM 17" to a 16" with bigger sidewall. Any reason to spend more for alloy wheels vs just buying steelies? The weight difference doesn't look too excessive.

Outside of appearances, I don’t think there’s any compelling reason to run alloys. I ran steelies on my Golf and had no complaints. If you’re near MN I actually have the set I was running and would certainly give you a deal on them.

Send me a PM if you’re interested. No worries if not.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

nitsuga posted:

Outside of appearances, I don’t think there’s any compelling reason to run alloys. I ran steelies on my Golf and had no complaints. If you’re near MN I actually have the set I was running and would certainly give you a deal on them.

Send me a PM if you’re interested. No worries if not.

I'm in the mid Atlantic but thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Does anyone here have a Veloster N? They have these huge breaks on them and apparently (according to YouTube) not any wheel would fit. I will need winter tires soon and I was wondering if youtube is correct and I should just go get the tires from the local Hyundai dealer or can I save a buck and go to costco or others? The costco website seems to think that only 19'' tires fit when the manual specifies that 18'' would fit as well. I have currently 19'' Pirelli summer tires, so I have to get winter tires in Ontario. Driving with these in the winter would be suicide.

I will definitely want alloys, since aesthetics matter, but I'm not gunning to waste more $ than I have to (gas is $1.67/L , that's plenty of wasted $).