Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

Switch version already has everything but the D-pad mapped to pins, dodging, or activating your combo, though.

Yes but thanks to the multi-wield Links you can have more than one character mapped to the same attack button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

hyphz posted:

First we have Susukichi planning to protect the Wicked Twisters, then when they don't comply, trying to erase them instead of just telling them about his plan. I like to think he must be facepalming on the game over screen if you lose to Cervus Cantus.

He was testing you, seeing how strong you are. From the start, he's been testing you. The fight against Cervus Cantus is the last one. If you're strong enough to beat him, then you might be strong enough to beat Shiba. But if you AREN'T strong enough to beat him, then Shiba would wipe the floor with you.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

serefin99 posted:

He was testing you, seeing how strong you are. From the start, he's been testing you. The fight against Cervus Cantus is the last one. If you're strong enough to beat him, then you might be strong enough to beat Shiba. But if you AREN'T strong enough to beat him, then Shiba would wipe the floor with you.

and if you're going to bemoan the cliche, just keep in mind it was already established that susukichi is obsessed with strategy games and has no sense of ambiguity. he had his play in mind from the beginning and wasn't going to deviate from it, no matter what

as for this:

hyphz posted:

And yes, we're going to deal with the surprise bit of the ending, but I'm not going to forget that you still haven't explained how using the Ruinbringers to loop the game was going to help Shiba.

secret report spoilers: shiba needed to keep looping the game because he was acting without the consent of shibuya's composer, which meant that he didn't actually have the authority to grant wishes. if anyone besides the ruinbringers won and asked to be revived, the jig would be up and the whole game would collapse, so he needed to keep the game in stasis to maintain kayfabe until the dissonance/plague noise could finish bringing about Inversion

as for said composer, joshua decided it'd be good for a laugh if he manufactured his own proxy in the form of rindo and watch him scuttle shiba's plans instead of just nuking everyone involved. he might not be interested in erasing shibuya himself anymore, but he's still kind of a dick

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 23, 2021

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Game good. I just started and don't really have anything to discuss but i hope people are playing this, its release seemed pretty low-key.

Put a lot of time into the original but never 100%'ed it, does this one shake out the same way in terms of secrets and unlockables?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Deified Data posted:

Game good. I just started and don't really have anything to discuss but i hope people are playing this, its release seemed pretty low-key.

Put a lot of time into the original but never 100%'ed it, does this one shake out the same way in terms of secrets and unlockables?

getting all the trophies took me about 60 hours, it can be tedious but isn't nearly as involved as the first game

if you want a true 100% then that's going to be more of a trudge, because a bunch of boss Noise don't have corresponding symbols and at least one has a really, really low Ultimate drop. you'll be reloading/looping through the same day over and over again to fill out those last few list entries

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

and if you're going to bemoan the cliche, just keep in mind it was already established that susukichi is obsessed with strategy games and has no sense of ambiguity. he had his play in mind from the beginning and wasn't going to deviate from it, no matter what

as for this:

secret report spoilers: shiba needed to keep looping the game because he was acting without the consent of shibuya's composer, which meant that he didn't actually have the authority to grant wishes. if anyone besides the ruinbringers won and asked to be revived, the jig would be up and the whole game would collapse, so he needed to keep the game in stasis to maintain kayfabe until the dissonance/plague noise could finish bringing about Inversion

as for said composer, joshua decided it'd be good for a laugh if he manufactured his own proxy in the form of rindo and watch him scuttle shiba's plans instead of just nuking everyone involved. he might not be interested in erasing shibuya himself anymore, but he's still kind of a dick

Shiba even flat out says something at the end of Week 2 along the lines of if the Ruinbringers lose then the game is over for good (I believe he makes up some bullshit to nullify the Wicked Twisters’ win at the end of the first week as well)

As you said, he was basically running an illegal Reapers Game from the start (including pulling living Players into the mix, though that was more of an accident on his part as he was trying to snag Neku)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 23, 2021

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Deified Data posted:

It’s a lot easier to evolve pins, at least, because only battles level them up now. The only gimmick is that some of them (denoted with ??? in the “can evolve?” info tab) can only be evolved if you max that pin out when a specific party member is equipped with it. There’s lists around online, but they’re extremely spoiler-y.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Week 2 Final Day spoilers jesus I feel bad for the enemies now, like only having another pin slot for the weird utility poo poo like Time Bombs or just more attacks in general was already pretty gross, but now it’s even easier to do beat drops and 300% groove is…it sure is something. :stare:

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
And cleared the story. This probably has to be the most frustrating game that I've still enjoyed, and the final boss seems to have been engineered to be annoying. Seriously camera screw, invisible walls, sudden stunning, a fake ending and an unskippable scene in the middle!?

I did take a look at the Secret Report transcriptions, so I'm not too bothered by the spoiler there, but it still seems a bit bleak. So.. Hazuki didn't really want to save Shibuya, and he made Phoenix Cantus when he could have just destroyed the Noise? That definately seems to bring back the "there's these higher plane creatures who just want to destroy stuff and they can try again and again" problem.

I did like that everyone else's latent powers got a significant role in the ending rather than on the focus on just Rindo's. Also I think Rindo's arc fell a bit flat because although it seems to be about taking responsibility for actions and failures, in practice Rindo never fails in a way he can't reverse, not even at the end - the solution to him overusing Replay turns out to be to use Replay some more, and then everything is better. It'd probably be very hard to do that arc in a video game without making it very bleak, mind you.

So, yea, as annoying as I found things I think I ultimately liked it. I just really hope someone can post the result of dotPeeking the PC version when it comes out, because if it's not locked down, it could be a massive opportunity.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Regalingualius posted:

It’s a lot easier to evolve pins, at least, because only battles level them up now. The only gimmick is that some of them (denoted with ??? in the “can evolve?” info tab) can only be evolved if you max that pin out when a specific party member is equipped with it. There’s lists around online, but they’re extremely spoiler-y.

You don't even need to check a list tbh. Late in the game, you get a social network node that just tells you which party members are need for pin mutations, and all of the mutations are good enough that you can STILL use them even at that point.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

serefin99 posted:

You don't even need to check a list tbh. Late in the game, you get a social network node that just tells you which party members are need for pin mutations, and all of the mutations are good enough that you can STILL use them even at that point.

Yeah I just looked for the gaps in my pin list and figured out which mutating pins in the same brand I hadn't done yet.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

hyphz posted:

And cleared the story. This probably has to be the most frustrating game that I've still enjoyed, and the final boss seems to have been engineered to be annoying. Seriously camera screw, invisible walls, sudden stunning, a fake ending and an unskippable scene in the middle!?

I did take a look at the Secret Report transcriptions, so I'm not too bothered by the spoiler there, but it still seems a bit bleak. So.. Hazuki didn't really want to save Shibuya, and he made Phoenix Cantus when he could have just destroyed the Noise? That definately seems to bring back the "there's these higher plane creatures who just want to destroy stuff and they can try again and again" problem.

All Angels are bastards it would seem (Mr. H was probably the nicest one we met so far and even that’s not saying much).

Come to think of it, if Neku had decided to shoot Joshua at the end of the previous game would it have actually done anything?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Larryb posted:

All Angels are bastards it would seem (Mr. H was probably the nicest one we met so far and even that’s not saying much).

Come to think of it, if Neku had decided to shoot Joshua at the end of the previous game would it have actually done anything?

given the sort of brat joshua is, that probably would have "lost" neku the game. hanekoma materializing after neku let himself get shot was joshua's way of telling him that his prize had been redeemed and that he'd won, which is why neku woke up in such a pissed off frame of mind

as for rindo, his problem wasn't that he kept using Replay (why would it be? he'd only pop the thing when someone was literally getting murdered in front of him), and the final Replay especially tied pretty well into resolving his flaws. he spent the whole game dodging responsibility or accountability for others, deferring it to group consensus or the nearest authority figure, but then chooses completely of his own volition to rewind everything one more time, even with Haz telling him that he'd be held responsible for the lives of the entire city

haz himself didn't give much of a rip about shibuya, but kubo's plan was probably doomed to failure from the beginning because his overstepping as the executor was making haz look bad. the guy probably had his finger poised over the "exorcise" button the whole time, waiting for a point of no return. he had nothing to do with phoenix cantus, though - that was the dissonance noise's last-ditch attempt to rally after the mass awakening decimated their numbers. they couldn't form an all-destroying miasma anymore, so they congregated into a single mega-noise that could smack down the Twisters instead. yes it's a justification for a big flashy boss fight, what are you gonna do

the angels are still aloof, ominous dicks whose reasoning behind their contempt for humanity is opaque at best, but haz confesses that he was only so gung-ho about zapping shinjuku because he wanted to emulate joshua, who'd since re-evaluated his opinion of the whole thing. if TWEWY keeps going then angels will inevitably take a bigger role, because right now they're coming across as hopelessly detached upper management who have no idea how the game beneath them is run and don't have much of an interest in learning

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I wonder if we’ll ever have to fight one at some point should the series continue (probably done by either depowering said Angel enough to stand a fighting chance and/or having another Angel on our team to help out)

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
I guess that the implication is one of two things:

a) The Reaper's Game selects rear end in a top hat Angels because anyone who's gone through it and then been a Reaper for the necessary about of time is now so misanthropic they don't care;
or
b) The Reaper's Game is intended to streamline people from the RG becoming Angels and displacing or outnumbering the rear end in a top hat ones who have never actually lived.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Oxxidation posted:

given the sort of brat joshua is, that probably would have "lost" neku the game. hanekoma materializing after neku let himself get shot was joshua's way of telling him that his prize had been redeemed and that he'd won, which is why neku woke up in such a pissed off frame of mind

as for rindo, his problem wasn't that he kept using Replay (why would it be? he'd only pop the thing when someone was literally getting murdered in front of him), and the final Replay especially tied pretty well into resolving his flaws. he spent the whole game dodging responsibility or accountability for others, deferring it to group consensus or the nearest authority figure, but then chooses completely of his own volition to rewind everything one more time, even with Haz telling him that he'd be held responsible for the lives of the entire city

haz himself didn't give much of a rip about shibuya, but kubo's plan was probably doomed to failure from the beginning because his overstepping as the executor was making haz look bad. the guy probably had his finger poised over the "exorcise" button the whole time, waiting for a point of no return. he had nothing to do with phoenix cantus, though - that was the dissonance noise's last-ditch attempt to rally after the mass awakening decimated their numbers. they couldn't form an all-destroying miasma anymore, so they congregated into a single mega-noise that could smack down the Twisters instead. yes it's a justification for a big flashy boss fight, what are you gonna do

the angels are still aloof, ominous dicks whose reasoning behind their contempt for humanity is opaque at best, but haz confesses that he was only so gung-ho about zapping shinjuku because he wanted to emulate joshua, who'd since re-evaluated his opinion of the whole thing. if TWEWY keeps going then angels will inevitably take a bigger role, because right now they're coming across as hopelessly detached upper management who have no idea how the game beneath them is run and don't have much of an interest in learning

Secret report 23 says that Haz made Phoenix Cantus, as a way to make the fight actually plausible.

Why'd he do it? Secret report 23 also answers this, but is technically just speculation on Hanekoma's part: He's interested in the Twisters and wants to see them succeed, but still kind of wants Shibuya to be purified.

He also didn't do more because he apparently expected Joshua to do something in response to what he was doing, but Josh... didn't. Because he's Josh.

Also, Haz making Phoenix Cantus is probably why there's phoenixes on his jacket. It's probably related to his noise form or whatever, similar to how Josh being nommed by Kitaniji formed Draco Cantus, when Joshua is associated (via brand) to dragons. Like how Hanekoma, cat man, has a cat noise form.

Also according to Nomura Haz was actually supposed to be the final boss, but this got chopped at some point, so. Phoenix Cantus.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 25, 2021

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I feel like the core problem here is Composers/Angels get so caught up in the Celestial Bureaucracy or whatever that they're completely disassociated from humanity. Like they decide "Shibuya sucks" and then instead of asking why everything sucks or what can be done to make it suck less, they go straight to "kill everyone and start over". Basically Joshua and Haz both need to go out and touch grass. Hanekoma is less of an rear end in a top hat than the other angels but also he's an artist and runs a coffee shop, so he's actually having regular interactions with Normal Alive people.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

YggiDee posted:

I feel like the core problem here is Composers/Angels get so caught up in the Celestial Bureaucracy or whatever that they're completely disassociated from humanity. Like they decide "Shibuya sucks" and then instead of asking why everything sucks or what can be done to make it suck less, they go straight to "kill everyone and start over". Basically Joshua and Haz both need to go out and touch grass. Hanekoma is less of an rear end in a top hat than the other angels but also he's an artist and runs a coffee shop, so he's actually having regular interactions with Normal Alive people.

And on the opposite end of the spectrum we have Kubo who was just a psychopath and clearly loving every second of it.

Since we learned that Players can conceivably be promoted all the way up to Composer I wonder if that means that even Angels like Josh and Haz were human once (the former does refer to a “Mother and Father” in botth games)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's pretty lame that Haz's whole deal is really only in the Secret Reports because he's got a cool design and I like his whole vibe a lot from his brief appearance. I wish more of the stuff from the reports was actually in the story because I'm kinda really into the idea of Haz not being for Kubo's plan but allowing it to happen just to see what Josh will do and Josh responding by literally doing nothing for the entire game even when Shibuya is destroyed.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So is there a specific reason mentioned in the Secret Reports as to why Joshua couldn’t have just dealt with Kubo and Shiba at any time or was it just another case of Josh being Josh (or perhaps a little of both)?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Larryb posted:

So is there a specific reason mentioned in the Secret Reports as to why Joshua couldn’t have just dealt with Kubo and Shiba at any time or was it just another case of Josh being Josh (or perhaps a little of both)?

Josh would step in if he absolutely had to, but he trusts his partners and thus Shibuya at large, to figure it out. Because SHibuya's version of the reaper's game actually does work and makes the whole town and people better like what happened with Shiki's designer dreams.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Larryb posted:

Apparently he made Rindo his proxy, so he did something, at any rate, but as for why he didn't do anything directly, josh just bein' josh.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Supremezero posted:

Apparently he made Rindo his proxy, so he did something, at any rate, but as for why he didn't do anything directly, josh just bein' josh.

Makes sense, he probably could have stopped all this before it even started but that ain’t how Josh runs things (plus, he got some pretty good results with his last proxy so why not try it again?)

I wouldn’t be surprised if he winds up picking yet another poor sap in a potential third game as well

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
I didn’t get the proxy thing. Originally Joshua shot Neku, gave him the ability to use any pin, and gave him the second Player Pin as protection against Kitanji. This time Joshua.. didn’t do anything, since anyone can use any pin and Kubo gave him the pin to bring him to the UG.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

hyphz posted:

I didn’t get the proxy thing. Originally Joshua shot Neku, gave him the ability to use any pin, and gave him the second Player Pin as protection against Kitanji. This time Joshua.. didn’t do anything, since anyone can use any pin and Kubo gave him the pin to bring him to the UG.

Rewatch the intro Josh is the person that hands it to Rindo when he fumbles.

That said ending wise I mentioned it before but lmao at Shibuya getting wiped out twice and Haz having to step in, then Josh showing up at the victory to go 'btw I would of totally stopped it myself if you failed :^) and nuking Shoka before loving off.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

That said ending wise I mentioned it before but lmao at Shibuya getting wiped out twice and Haz having to step in, then Josh showing up at the victory to go 'btw I would of totally stopped it myself if you failed :^) and nuking Shoka before loving off.

I really thought he turned Shoka into a cat, to cap all that off.

FireWorksWell fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 25, 2021

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FireWorksWell posted:

I really thought he turned Shoka into a cat. And I love that you pretty much have proof Josh was bullshitting about stepping in

hanekoma: "oh yeah, no, his plan was pretty much to give moral support and nothing else"

joshua is lucky that the secret reports are extra-canonical, because if they were ever actually read by any of the protagonists then they'd likely bind them all together and try to beat him to death with them. smart money's on nagi

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Oxxidation posted:

hanekoma: "oh yeah, no, his plan was pretty much to give moral support and nothing else"

joshua is lucky that the secret reports are extra-canonical, because if they were ever actually read by any of the protagonists then they'd likely bind them all together and try to beat him to death with them. smart money's on nagi

Too flimsy. Nagi has a (prop) sword around, apparently.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Though at this point I’m starting to think that even if Minamimoto and/or Neku had actually succeeded in shooting Joshua it probably wouldn’t have killed or even hurt him that much (not sure if Angels are flat out immortal or just unimaginably powerful though, at the very least members of their own kind can take them out as evidenced by Haz exorcising Kubo)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 25, 2021

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Larryb posted:

Though at this point I’m starting to think that even if Minamimoto and/or Neku had actually succeeded in shooting Joshua it probably wouldn’t have killed or even hurt him that much (not sure if Angels are flat out immortal or just unimaginably powerful though, at the very least members of their own kind can take them out as evidenced by Haz exorcising Kubo)

I'm curious if there's a big difference between how powerful Haz and Kubo were. Not that we get to actually see Kubo use any of his strength.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

FireWorksWell posted:

I'm curious if there's a big difference between how powerful Haz and Kubo were. Not that we get to actually see Kubo use any of his strength.

It's weird because in the original, Hanekoma's secret reports certainly seemed to imply that Angels are higher up and more powerful than Composers, they're just restricted by rules in how they can interact with the lower planes. But then Haz just nukes Kubo no problem so idk.

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

Regy Rusty posted:

It's weird because in the original, Hanekoma's secret reports certainly seemed to imply that Angels are higher up and more powerful than Composers, they're just restricted by rules in how they can interact with the lower planes. But then Haz just nukes Kubo no problem so idk.

Isn't it outright stated by Haz that he was Kubo's direct superior? If that's the case then it makes sense that he would have direct control over Kubo's fate.

Also, does it bother anyone else that they pronounced "executor" oddly? Is it supposed to be a pun combining "executive" and "executor" or did someone mess up?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Balache404 posted:

Isn't it outright stated by Haz that he was Kubo's direct superior? If that's the case then it makes sense that he would have direct control over Kubo's fate.

Yeah, Haz says as much when Rindo talks to him and your point is correct. I was just curious about whether Kubo could have actually stood his ground if he wasn't tuned down to UG levels; like how bad are power discrepancies for these beings we barely understand?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Balache404 posted:

Also, does it bother anyone else that they pronounced "executor" oddly? Is it supposed to be a pun combining "executive" and "executor" or did someone mess up?

it's a valid pronunciation, i've personally never heard it pronounced EX-e-cu-tor as opposed to ex-EC-u-tor

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Oxxidation posted:

it's a valid pronunciation, i've personally never heard it pronounced EX-e-cu-tor as opposed to ex-EC-u-tor

It’s presumably supposed to be executioner anyway

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

hyphz posted:

It’s presumably supposed to be executioner anyway

Nooo it's executor, pronounced as it is in the game, meaning "a person who produces something or puts something into effect."

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I hosed up the first Scramble Slam and didn’t even get enough points for third prize, so I figured I’d go back after day 7 and…

Oh wait that day ends with Minamimoto leaving my party, so now I only have three people… peachy. I have to wait until Week 2 Day 3 to get a fourth member, lame.

But yeah, I didn’t understand the bonus multiplier and I didn’t know you could start fights with members of other teams while holding a chain. I also didn’t realize you were supposed to defeat the bonus enemies last… just a total shitshow. I’m currently struggling with the second Dive side quest in Week 2 Day 2 because those jellyfish take ages to defeat, I’m going to have to come back later for that, too.

Edit: I can chain up to ten enemies now so that’ll make it much easier as long as I equip weaker pins.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I don’t think the jellyfish should take especially long, are you attacking the clones? The real ones take the clones with them when they die if you are.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Last Celebration posted:

I don’t think the jellyfish should take especially long, are you attacking the clones? The real ones take the clones with them when they die if you are.

Yeah I know, but a: I can’t tell which is the real one and b: I always seem to do awful damage to them. I am using the water sword Uber pin, the exploding stone darts and the poison bomb which are my strongest pins. I don’t have any good Ice/Dark/Burst pins to use to take advantage of their weakness and Stone is good against most of the other enemies.

I’ll just get whatever I can now and come back once I have a bigger party and the ability that gives you more time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

The jellyfish that aren't fake have the noise symbol visible inside their bodies.