Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Japanese style bathtubs where you get clean before soaking rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

Translator's Notes:

Enami's line in the first panel is especially strange in Japanese.

He says, 「すぐ下ネタの方向にいくメンバーだから女子が寄り付かない。」
"sugu shimoneta no houkou ni iku menbaa dakara joshi ga yori tsukanai."

This means something like "Since I'm known as the type of guy who immediately goes for dirty jokes, none of the girls would approach me."

And he's just admitting this bluntly to his girlfriend. No social awareness or filter at all. Amazing.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Mackerel Cornflake posted:

This means something like "Since I'm known as the type of guy who immediately goes for dirty jokes, none of the girls would approach me."

And he's just admitting this bluntly to his girlfriend. No social awareness or filter at all. Amazing.

this is the kind of mf original neet stared at thru the window thinking "loving normies... scum..."

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Maybe he's just speaking of his reputation, rather than his actual personality specifically? Even if they are one in the same. Maybe something like "Since the girls in my class think I'm the type of guy who makes dirty jokes all the time, they wouldn't approach me."

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

The daily panel updates really set this joke up well

Cobra Lionfist
Jun 4, 2013
I don't really like how this comic treats Princess. Considering the fairly nuanced way it seems to handle Neet's issues, although with the two timelines it's hard to tell what's going on. Earlier it seemed like he had severe depression. Now he's like "I can do it, hard work!" *Fist pump". Mainly though, Princess is treated as a punchline, and while earlier it seemed like Neet seeing his boss surrounded by stars and stuff was a commentary on his point of view on her, these last two panel's don't seem like that at all. It's just kind of off putting.

Preparing to be completely proved wrong in the next panel.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Just looking at my toilet calendar while I take a dump

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Oh my god, please let this mean that Amanuma is a big curling devotee, and that's why he was so good at sliding the chair to the exact spot

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

Cobra Lionfist posted:

I don't really like how this comic treats Princess. Considering the fairly nuanced way it seems to handle Neet's issues, although with the two timelines it's hard to tell what's going on. Earlier it seemed like he had severe depression. Now he's like "I can do it, hard work!" *Fist pump". Mainly though, Princess is treated as a punchline, and while earlier it seemed like Neet seeing his boss surrounded by stars and stuff was a commentary on his point of view on her, these last two panel's don't seem like that at all. It's just kind of off putting.

I mean the world is full of people who just kinda suck, mediocre people, and excellent people. The point of the comic so far has been to follow this dude on his journey to become somewhat mediocre from a starting position of being a piece of poo poo. His coworkers are someone who kinda sucks, a mediocre person, and two seemingly excellent people, people like you'd see at any workplace.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Cobra Lionfist posted:

Princess serves as the outlet NEET to fantisise about his base desires

murdering, loving, and now: making GBS threads

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Maybe he's just speaking of his reputation, rather than his actual personality specifically? Even if they are one in the same. Maybe something like "Since the girls in my class think I'm the type of guy who makes dirty jokes all the time, they wouldn't approach me."

That's possible. I think Enami's use of the English loan word メンバー (menbaa, "member", a participant) might be throwing me off. He's saying he's a "member" who "tends to go towards inappropriate jokes."

Maybe メンバー has some nuance to Japanese speakers that doesn't quite exist in English.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven
I forgot how much of a poo poo stain he was given how positive the part-time timeline is.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

That's possible. I think Enami's use of the English loan word メンバー (menbaa, "member", a participant) might be throwing me off. He's saying he's a "member" who "tends to go towards inappropriate jokes."

Maybe メンバー has some nuance to Japanese speakers that doesn't quite exist in English.

would class clown fit or is it different?

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

simplefish posted:

would class clown fit or is it different?

Different. My gut instinct tells me the "class clown" archetype probably doesn't exist in Japanese classrooms. In a society that tends to prize homogeneity ("The nail that sticks out get hammered down" and all that happy jazz) going out of your way to be disruptive in class would not only get you in trouble with teachers, but most likely fellow students as well. You'd probably be shunned rather than celebrated. Other students might ask "why is he acting like that?" or "is he stupid or something?"

But my impressions of Japanese classrooms are informed by popular media created by people who went to school thirty plus years ago. Maybe Japanese classrooms in 2021 are a little more lax these days.

After some googling:

The closest equivalent to class clown I've found is お調子者, ochoushimono. The definition is kind of vague and it has negative connotations. It refers to someone who is overly friendly with others and gets excited easily. A light-hearted, non-serious person. They can be fun to be around but are also sometimes considered foolish. It's the kind of term you'd only use with close friends, when you're playfully ragging on them.

Breaking down the kanji is kinda difficult. 調 (chou) has musical connotations and might be translated as "in tune, or in harmony". 子 (shi) means "child". 者 (mono) means "person". お (o) is just an honorary prefix a lot of Japanese words start with.

Enami is not お調子者. I get the impression he's a self-serious loner who mostly looks down on others. He's chuunibyou, if anything.

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Aino Minako posted:

The daily panel updates really set this joke up well

This is the exactly why I always post at this pace. (Well, that or also when I'm too busy to keep up, haha.)

Also I went back and made very minor fixes to these panels:

Brother Make fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 25, 2021

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

That’s a curling puck next to amanuma’s bed, isn’t it

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Flared base.

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

So does 'part-timer' just mean they are paid hourly instead of salary? Because they are pretty much all working 40+ hours a week.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

See, I told you chill baldy Izawa was the game tester to be. He does fewer hours than the others but look at his smile.

Also, wasn't Miss Nishiyama the Team Leader? Always handing out the games and poo poo? Why's her pay so low?

simplefish fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Aug 25, 2021

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Thanks, I appreciate this

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

simplefish posted:

See, I told you chill baldy Izawa was the game tester to be. He does fewer hours than the others but look at his smile.

Also, wasn't Miss Nishiyama the Team Leader? Always handing out the games and poo poo? Why's her pay so low?

With my limited knowledge of japanese workplaces I'd say it's because of sexism.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

simplefish posted:

I think it's like being an assistant manager at a fast food, it means more responsibilities for negligibly more pay. Also sexism

Also, it makes sense the bug tester ace would have the highest take home pay of the part timers

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

I love that the Ace Bug Detective is just really into curling

Also it's still quite a leap from where Enami is to where he will end up as a hardened scammer. What a saga

Victis fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 25, 2021

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Mr. Lobe posted:

I think it's like being an assistant manager at a fast food, it means more responsibilities for negligibly more pay. Also sexism

Also, it makes sense the bug tester ace would have the highest take home pay of the part timers

At least in the states, an assistant manager should make considerably more than regular testers, and would never be part time / non-salaried. That being said, (assistant) managers rarely help with actual testing unless it's needed at crunch time - her role comes off more like a senior tester or a lead tester, which can be non-salaried, but still should make noticeably more than regular testers.

Bug-finding skill usually has little to do with pay, beyond it may help you getting promoted to a senior / lead position. Though Amanuma could easily be one of those. The only situation where bug-finding ability directly leads to more pay is when working for a company that pays by-the-bug, which always means you get paid and treated like poo poo, and the bug quality isn't much better.

As for how accurate the pay itself is, a no-skill-needed entry-level bug testing gig will usually pay not much more than minimum wage. I just checked the first company I worked QA for on glassdoor, and they currently seem to be paying brand new testers $11-12 an hour. Adjusting for inflation puts that at around $8 an hour in 2005 money (though I suspect it may have been lower at the time) so NEET and friends are getting paid pretty accurately - aka, like poo poo. A more reasonable pay is $18-20 ($12-14 in 05) for regular testers, with seniors making around $25 ($18 in 05). Most lovely QA places (like my first job) justify the low price by having almost zero barrier to entry being a high school diploma, and "offering" unhealthy amounts of (mandatory) overtime.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 25, 2021

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven
Lol here it goes

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
Excited for the OnlyFans arc.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i hope his side job is "criminal"

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

E: wrong thread sorrry

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

:neet: and you immediately surpass dad’s earning potential

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

Petition to skip this part of the criminal timeline

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Petition to have the previous petition stricken from the record

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

flavor.flv posted:

Petition to have the previous petition stricken from the record

Second

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

PTSDeedly Do posted:

Petition to skip this part of the criminal timeline

Why, because nothing is happening and the characters are doing boring things? I thought that is the charm of NEET.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Only one petition is worth listening to anyway. And that's mine:

Petition for more NEET :colbert:

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Lotus Aura posted:

Only one petition is worth listening to anyway. And that's mine:

Second

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

Lotus Aura posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

I just want the abandoned millionaire criminal arc.