Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

sinky posted:

Why did you need so many sandwiches

Why did you need so few?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Just read the last few pages of the last thread. Aside from the obvious thing to react to (??? … ??????? :( ), the god damned description of
Cowboy Bebop here. The whole point is that they’re not saving the world. They’re not heroes, or whatever gritty version of heroes that Netflix wants them to be. They’re bounty hunters who gently caress up as often as they get it right. Sometimes the bounty is big and they get roped into saving a moon, sometimes they’re just hanging out with space truckers.
The outfits don’t bother me much, John Cho’s outfit looks like a cheap suit, which is … right on the money, I think.
I’ll still give it a shot, but I’m side-eyeing where they’re taking this.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

it's cowboy bebop for a new generation!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

See you, Space Cowboy.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I'm watching the Let's & Go anime and it's making me want to get a Mini 4WD despite not having the horrifically expensive track setup or a location nearby with one

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I had way too many dreams last night and I've been groggy since I got up.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Waffleman_ posted:

I had way too many dreams last night and I've been groggy since I got up.

i was turbo drunk and had none and now i've awoken to no jerma merch + roofers nailgunning tiles into the bigass funeral home next door

piss!

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

sinky posted:

Why did you need so many sandwiches

I used to offer them to people at the arcade between sets of DDR so they would like me.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Just read the last few pages of the last thread. Aside from the obvious thing to react to (??? … ??????? :( ), the god damned description of
Cowboy Bebop here. The whole point is that they’re not saving the world. They’re not heroes, or whatever gritty version of heroes that Netflix wants them to be. They’re bounty hunters who gently caress up as often as they get it right. Sometimes the bounty is big and they get roped into saving a moon, sometimes they’re just hanging out with space truckers.
The outfits don’t bother me much, John Cho’s outfit looks like a cheap suit, which is … right on the money, I think.
I’ll still give it a shot, but I’m side-eyeing where they’re taking this.

Yeah, I'm hoping Netflix's description is just their marketing team being dumb.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

On the bright side, it sound's like Cowboy Andy's gonna make an appearance.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

gay for gacha posted:

I used to offer them to people at the arcade between sets of DDR so they would like me.

Did it work?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
This might be getting into deep territory, but is there a reason SA in the past used to be so vehemently against anime culture, and mocked anyone who enjoyed it?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
used to?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Willo567 posted:

This might be getting into deep territory, but is there a reason SA in the past used to be so vehemently against anime culture, and mocked anyone who enjoyed it?

In the past?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
okay, why do they continue to?

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

SA was founded on bullying and it's one of the few targets the ones who liked that and haven't changed or left can get away with? IDK, I never really read this forum before since I don't watch much anime (nothing against it, I just don't watch much TV), but in the small amount of time I've been reading a couple of threads the amount of drama seems crazy.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

half 40 year olds that are creeped out by cartoons and half concern trolls because anime nerds are insanely easy to troll

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

getting the first vtuber thread closed by just arbitrarily saying people I don't like are doxxers and a dozen people come out of the woodwork to say "hell yeah I doxx vtubers". honestly shocked, at how that played out

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
loving NERDS

Belan
May 7, 2007
Chat Thread XXVI: VTuber Thread 4.0

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Belan posted:

Chat Thread XXVI: VTuber Thread 4.0
This

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Willo567 posted:

Because anime fans are easy to troll.

Fact is that Japan has different standards of what is acceptable to have in your cartoon shows and some of that stuff is seen as (or is) creepy. So that makes the trolling even easier.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I have my loving av tattooed on my arm i can never be trolled

sans the hat

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

verbal enema posted:

sans the hat

wear the hat irl

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

verbal enema posted:

sans the hat
Do you actually

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Willo567 posted:

civic duty

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Endorph posted:

Do you actually

Are you kidding?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Challenging

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

verbal enema posted:

Are you kidding?

Why no hat tho

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

verbal enema posted:

Are you kidding?

Should have done it on your shoulder like you're a dock worker in an old Popeye cartoon or something.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

also 80s and 90s news/media was full of "isn't Japan WEIRD? wow they're so WEIRD!" sentiment (this sentiment made a brief comeback for netflix's Enter the Anime)... and a lot of anime in US rental stores was kept in the adult only section... so it had this built in expectation of perversion before it went mainstream. so zoomers don't give a poo poo, gen x'ers still are like "japan has panty vending machines!"

i just think it's funny when someone outside of adtrw posts about a game/show they like and they immediately go "now, this isn't like, ANIME anime. it's cool, it isn't ~really~ ANIME"

like that brony documentary where all the male bronies kept shouting "I'M NOT GAY"

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Supremezero posted:

Why no hat tho

The hat came way after during some halloween av edit thread

I would like to get it on there but i don't wanna gently caress it up

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Raxivace posted:

Should have done it on your shoulder like you're a dock worker in an old Popeye cartoon or something.

gently caress!!!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

verbal enema posted:

Are you kidding?

i dont know how to handle this

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Willo567 posted:

All of the above, but also the events leading to the creation of 4chan being burned into the forums' ancestral memory probably doesn't help.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I once went to one of those 10 year high-school reunions and one of the girls I liked back then told me that she remembered how I would tell her what had happened in Dragon Ball Z.

What I mean is that she was still grateful after all those years.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Willo567 posted:

for a long time on the internet, anime has been singled out for being childish, virginal, and further, as a gateway to pedophilia. this was in part to japan's perceived open fetishization of female youth, especially in its cartoons, in contrast to say, america's more sublimated fetishization of female youth (teen/tween pop stars & actresses, promise rings, etc.) and there's always that healthy strain of chauvanism, where it was considered unmanly or even creepy to consume content that was mostly made up of frilly female characters. some of that has subsided because of the increased presence of anime on tv & then streaming, plus a lot of fun & popular video games also happened to have anime aesthetics and appealed to a younger generation who don't carry on that baggage from the conflicts of old

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

also 80s and 90s news/media was full of "isn't Japan WEIRD? wow they're so WEIRD!" sentiment (this sentiment made a brief comeback for netflix's Enter the Anime)... and a lot of anime in US rental stores was kept in the adult only section... so it had this built in expectation of perversion before it went mainstream. so zoomers don't give a poo poo, gen x'ers still are like "japan has panty vending machines!"

i just think it's funny when someone outside of adtrw posts about a game/show they like and they immediately go "now, this isn't like, ANIME anime. it's cool, it isn't ~really~ ANIME"

like that brony documentary where all the male bronies kept shouting "I'M NOT GAY"
its really funny in the context of like you said zoomers not giving a poo poo. dudes who just joined big nfl teams talk about hunterxhunter and poo poo lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Willo567 posted:

There was basically a number of subcommunities within SA that were based on harassment of people considered weirdos, which was assisted by a number of front page articles in that direction. I mean, stuff like kiwifarms came out of this site. Then on the other hand you've got extreme anime fans, which made for an easy target. 4chan came out of this site too. Things are probably more chilled out these days with SA trending older than much of the internet.