Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Amex hasn't been super competitive outside of maybe some of their points offerings on the charge cards but I could see them reworking the BCE or BCP a bit in response. They really ought to just have a 2% consumer card by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Thoguh posted:

WF Propel is no fee and is 3% on gas, don't know if there are other no fee card that offer that but I assume there probably are.

If you already have and plan to keep a Costco membership, the Costco Visa is 4% on gas, including at Costco (which usually doesn’t code as a gas station for rewards).

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Thoguh posted:

WF Propel is no fee and is 3% on gas, don't know if there are other no fee card that offer that but I assume there probably are.

I believe this card has been discontinued. You could have combined with other Wells Fargo no-AF cards for a 10% cashback bonus or a 50% bonus on travel, too.

Navy Federal offers a no AF Amex with 3% back on gas and groceries, if you or an immediately family member was/are in the military.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Chase Sapphire Preferred:

- 100k points
- $50 grocery credit
- Free year of Doordash Plus and Lyft Plus + Lyft credits
- 5% back on all travel booked through Chase Travel Portal or Partners
- $65 back on Peloton purchases and free 1 month subscription.
- Annual fee waived for the first year.

Wow. Hope they're still doing something like this early next year when I cancel/downgrade the Reserve.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I'm normally a dog boring W2 tax filer but this year have some substantial sports betting gains that I need to make estimated payments on. I have about $27k that I owe at the moment and believe that it'd be smart to sign up for some highly valuable / high spend bonus offers and eat the credit card fee of 1.96% to do so.

I haven't been in the travel hacking game in a number of years, what's the best cards to do this for right now? I have a CSR already. It has been a few years so think I'm good on the 5/24 rule.

Thanks in advance!

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I've been sitting on the chase trifecta (CSR/freedom/FU) for a few years now with no credit card applications since. Between now and my CSR renewal I expect to burn through all of my UR points so I'll cancel the card at that point. Would my best bet be to apply for the CSP or the CSR again for the sign up bonus assuming I can hit the minimum spend for either? Anything I should be aware of before I go down this road? Thanks in advance.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Virtue posted:

I've been sitting on the chase trifecta (CSR/freedom/FU) for a few years now with no credit card applications since. Between now and my CSR renewal I expect to burn through all of my UR points so I'll cancel the card at that point. Would my best bet be to apply for the CSP or the CSR again for the sign up bonus assuming I can hit the minimum spend for either? Anything I should be aware of before I go down this road? Thanks in advance.

Downgrade the CSR to a Freedom Flex, wait a couple weeks, and apply for a CSP with the 100k bonus.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Any good Balance Transfer Cards with no fee? I want to consolidate two cards

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Virtue posted:

In order to get the current CSP 100k bonus, you need to make sure the CSR sign-up bonus was received over 48 months ago.

https://creditcards.chase.com/rewards-credit-cards/sapphire/preferred
"This product is available to you if you do not have any Sapphire card and have not received a new cardmember bonus for any Sapphire card in the past 48 months."

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Any good Balance Transfer Cards with no fee? I want to consolidate two cards

I used citi double cash when I did this last year. Think it was 18mo no interest in balance xfers.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I'd have to check if it was that Citi card, but I remember a popular cash-back card with seemingly good balance-transfer terms having a loophole of "if you transfer a balance in and pay off a new purchase on it, the transferred balance gets added to the fat APR on the spot." Be on the lookout! Googling isn't pulling up the loophole card at the moment, but I heard about it from a credit card youtuber.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

More of a general credit Q but does it impact your score negatively to have a card go away? I got a Care Credit a while ago and they're going to close it for inactivity in a couple months. I don't need it anymore so I don't really care, but curious if it's going to lower my credit score or something.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Grand Fromage posted:

More of a general credit Q but does it impact your score negatively to have a card go away? I got a Care Credit a while ago and they're going to close it for inactivity in a couple months. I don't need it anymore so I don't really care, but curious if it's going to lower my credit score or something.

There are two things that change when a card gets closed: your total potential credit goes down, and that card is removed from your pool with respect to the average age of your accounts. The first is usually a small negative, the second can be either positive or negative depending on how long that card was open relative to your entire credit history. For example, if you have four cards that have been open ten years, and you closed a fifth card that had only been open a year, your average age would actually go up.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

saintonan posted:

There are two things that change when a card gets closed: your total potential credit goes down, and that card is removed from your pool with respect to the average age of your accounts. The first is usually a small negative, the second can be either positive or negative depending on how long that card was open relative to your entire credit history. For example, if you have four cards that have been open ten years, and you closed a fifth card that had only been open a year, your average age would actually go up.

Huh. Well, curious to see what happens. It's one of the newer cards but I've only had credit cards at all for a couple years, didn't get my first until I started my US exile in 2019. My credit score is pretty good so I'm not concerned, I just haven't had a card close before.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

I expect it won't have much of an impact, then.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
My CSR annual fee hit today and it didn't go up to $550, it's still $450. Did they delay that again?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Thoguh posted:

My CSR annual fee hit today and it didn't go up to $550, it's still $450. Did they delay that again?

Depends when you signed up for it.

It kicks in either August 1st or September 1st depending on your sign-up date.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I think mine renews this month and I got a letter telling me it was going to be $550.

I think I may downgrade. I have an Amex Gold, USBank Altitude Reserve, and Ritz card, so the only real benefit to the Sapphire anymore seemed to be redeeming points earned in bonus categories on my no annual fee cards.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Small White Dragon posted:

I think mine renews this month and I got a letter telling me it was going to be $550.

I think I may downgrade. I have an Amex Gold, USBank Altitude Reserve, and Ritz card, so the only real benefit to the Sapphire anymore seemed to be redeeming points earned in bonus categories on my no annual fee cards.

Them counting gas stations for the $300 rebate and being pretty generous on groceries being a bonus category recently are the main reasons I'm still keeping it for now. In other years I'd consider priority Pass to be worth at least something but not now or anytime for the forseeable future. I cancelled the Blue Cash Preferred that I had been using for groceries the last half decade because it didn't make sense to have two cards that charge fees for the same category. I'll have to re-evaluate next year once my Flex welcome bonus is expired and the fee goes up. At that point I might just cancel the CSR and move my grocery spending over to a Citi Custom for the 5% no fee.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Aug 3, 2021

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Interesting Visa card that seems to only have a 4.25% interest rate. It's Wall Street Journal prime rate +1% so 3.25 + 1 = 4.25%. Seems very low, but interesting.

https://www.srifcu.org/visa/

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
huge disparity between FICO & TransUnion/Equifax is pissing me off. I think the gap is kuz FICO is considering a late payment more than 1 year ago but fewer than 7 whereas the others aint.. ?? the difference is as high as 62 points depending on who i get it from lol. hosed up!!

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

The CSP overhaul is going to be official next Monday.

quote:

New category bonuses
5 points per dollar on travel booked through the Ultimate Rewards Travel portal
3 points per dollar on dining (up from 2x)
3 points per dollar on select streaming services
3 points per dollar on online groceries (excludes Target, Walmart and wholesale clubs)

$50 hotel credit
A $50 annual credit on hotel stays purchased through Ultimate Rewards.

Cardmember anniversary bonus
10% of your points back each year based on your card spending
https://thepointsguy.com/news/chase-sapphire-cards-refresh/

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
E. Oops completely wrong thread!

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
There are also some upgrades for the CSR, but seems like CSP may be the better deal now.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Looks like it's actually time to pull the trigger on getting my second Sapphire SUB. Guidance is to wait a month from converting the Reserve into a non-Sapphire card before applying for the Preferred, right?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Small question that I can't find a clear google answer to (I mostly get results that seem to be about gas rewards cards)

Is it possible to get a credit card that can ONLY buy gas? I own part of a small home renovation business and we are hiring someone on as a salesperson and it would be the easiest thing to do for gas reimbursement if there was a way to give him a card that he can only buy gas with, but I wasn't sure if this is actually possible or not. I can't just give him a regular card and just look at the bills I think because you could buy all sorts of stuff at a gas station.

I realize that most people probably just have employees turn in receipts and manually reimburse them for things like gas and maybe that's what we have to do but I just wanted to check if there was a way to do it easier by getting them something like a refillable gift card or credit card that only works at gas pumps.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Stefan Prodan posted:

Small question that I can't find a clear google answer to (I mostly get results that seem to be about gas rewards cards)

Is it possible to get a credit card that can ONLY buy gas? I own part of a small home renovation business and we are hiring someone on as a salesperson and it would be the easiest thing to do for gas reimbursement if there was a way to give him a card that he can only buy gas with, but I wasn't sure if this is actually possible or not. I can't just give him a regular card and just look at the bills I think because you could buy all sorts of stuff at a gas station.

I realize that most people probably just have employees turn in receipts and manually reimburse them for things like gas and maybe that's what we have to do but I just wanted to check if there was a way to do it easier by getting them something like a refillable gift card or credit card that only works at gas pumps.

fleet cards are definitely a thing, though i don't know all the ins and outs of how they work, there may be some minimum purchase requirements that don't make sense for a business with only a few people driving a low daily mileage

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Yes, I had one at a past job. Look for terms like "fleet fuel card". Mine only worked at gas stations. When you swiped it the pump asked for your driver number and mileage, which we used as a job number for coding.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Ok cool yeah that was the keyword I needed.

Thanks!

As you can imagine, "credit card for gas only" was not super helpful

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Chase came out with the new rewards added to the Sapphire Reserve. They're all only from using their portal: 10x dining, 10x hotels, 10x car rentals, 5x flights.

Out of those, I've only booked flights through their portal before. It seemed fine, most flights were there for similar prices as elsewhere. So that might be worth doing more for the 5x points. Not sure if the hotel/car listings are similar, or if they're substantially worse than other sites such that it's not worth using even for 10x points.

It seems for dining they use Tock, which has barely any restaurants even in the large cities I checked. So that one's basically worthless. edit: Well, there are more than just a few in some major downtown areas, but it's pretty much only upscale restaurants, not places I would go to on a regular basis.

runawayturtles fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 17, 2021

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Does anyone know if the new 10% of your yearly points spent on your anniversary benefit on the CSP apply to points from a spend bonus?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Upgrade posted:

Does anyone know if the new 10% of your yearly points spent on your anniversary benefit on the CSP apply to points from a spend bonus?

IIRC the 10% bonus is only on actual spend. So if you spend $3000 for 70k points half of which is a 2x category, you'll get 74,500 points now (70,000 + 1,500 + 1,500*2) and 300 next year.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Small White Dragon posted:

IIRC the 10% bonus is only on actual spend. So if you spend $3000 for 70k points half of which is a 2x category, you'll get 74,500 points now (70,000 + 1,500 + 1,500*2) and 300 next year.

Oh thats what the "spend" means, not me spending the points. Duh.

That's a lot worse :(

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Basically you can just add 0.1 to all the multipliers.

Edit: If you spend $10,000 on dining, you're going to get 31,000 points (30,000 now and 1,000 at your anniversary).

Shroomie fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 18, 2021

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Yea it's not that good of a bonus. The $50 hotel rebate is nice, I guess.

Also FYI if you have an AmEx and aren't using the return protection you're missing out.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I have fraudulent charges of $3000 pending on my Citi Double Cash card and they said they couldn't do anything because they are pending. This is also the second time this year the card has been compromised.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
That's pretty standard. Have them overnight you a new card and dispute the bad charges.once they post.

If it keeps happening I'd take a look at where you're using it to see if you can identify where it is getting lifted.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

FunOne posted:

That's pretty standard.

Yup, and why Credit Cards > Debit Cards.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

FunOne posted:

That's pretty standard. Have them overnight you a new card and dispute the bad charges.once they post.

If it keeps happening I'd take a look at where you're using it to see if you can identify where it is getting lifted.

I personally think there is some sort of insider issue with Citi cards, either in shipping, the post office, somewhere along the line. I've had my new Citi cards compromised twice before they even got to me in the mail. Both times Citi contacted me before I even knew there was a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

skipdogg posted:

I personally think there is some sort of insider issue with Citi cards, either in shipping, the post office, somewhere along the line. I've had my new Citi cards compromised twice before they even got to me in the mail. Both times Citi contacted me before I even knew there was a problem.

This happened to me with a Citi corporate card for work before I received it in the mail. Apparently it happened to a bunch of people that I worked with.