Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Meg's an ex at the start of the game.

RatHat posted:

Its single target damage is pretty good but it locks you in place

Dash strike and you won't lose the ramp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Mescal posted:

The apparent budding romance with Thanatos is completely out of left field and nonsensical, given that he's a dismissive cock toward Zag and Zag seems to give him nectar grudgingly like you give a hated coworker donuts. If he had charm and they had banter instead of just a crappy relationship it might make some sense. It was especially surprising to me since I had been under the impression that they were half-brothers. I don't know, maybe there was foreshadowing to it that I missed.
Yeah you apparently missed all of his dialogue and just imagined something else in its place because it's really incredibly obvious from the moment you meet him that they had something of a romance going on

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Where do you find Thanatos after the main game finishes and you're doing the heat runs? He doesn't seem to be at the balcony place by the admin centre anymore now.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

priznat posted:

Where do you find Thanatos after the main game finishes and you're doing the heat runs? He doesn't seem to be at the balcony place by the admin centre anymore now.
He'll still show up there, it's just rarer than others who come and go.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
gently caress! Can someone tell me what I missed? (Final boss spoilers)

The stars had aligned and I ended up getting a cheesy build that let me get to what is apparently the half-way point in the Hades fight for the first time. In my anxious state and trying to wail on Hades for the supposed final blow, I accidentally skipped past some dialogue then I died quickly because I had no idea what was going on in the second half of the fight.

What was the dialogue that Hades was supposed to say? I'm pissed at myself because I'm already back at the House and I can't repeat the dialogue again since the game will remember I've already seen that part of the fight. I'm especially pissed because I adore the unique conversations in this game and I clicked past it in a rush and fuuuuck! :argh:

e: I guess just tell me whether or not there's unique dialogue for reaching that part of that fight for the first time or not and what it is if so, I don't want to know anything else.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 24, 2021

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

gently caress! Can someone tell me what I missed? (Final boss spoilers)

The stars had aligned and I ended up getting a cheesy build that let me get to what is apparently the half-way point in the Hades fight for the first time. In my anxious state and trying to wail on Hades for the supposed final blow, I accidentally skipped past some dialogue then I died quickly because I had no idea what was going on in the second half of the fight.

What was the dialogue that Hades was supposed to say? I'm pissed at myself because I'm already back at the House and I can't repeat the dialogue again since the game will remember I've already seen that part of the fight. I'm especially pissed because I adore the unique conversations in this game and I clicked past it in a rush and fuuuuck! :argh:

e: I guess just tell me whether or not there's unique dialogue for reaching that part of that fight for the first time or not and what it is if so, I don't want to know anything else.

there is, but it's nothing remarkable. basically hades going "well now you leave me no choice"

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

So I beat the game with each weapon. I did my first run with 1 heat and beat it, and got… nothing?

What’s the point of doing a heat run? Did I miss a reward somewhere?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

you should have gotten each bosses' reward (titan blood, diamond, ambrosia, titan blood) instead of just gobs of purple stuff

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

RCarr posted:

So I beat the game with each weapon. I did my first run with 1 heat and beat it, and got… nothing?

No you should have gotten rewards for beating each boss.
Meg: Titan Blood
Hydra: Diamond
Theseus/Asterius: Ambrosia
Hades: Titan Blood

So beating it in one run should give 2x titan blood, 1x diamond, and 1x ambrosia.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

RCarr posted:

If it was your first time completing a Heat run at that level you got 2 Titan's Blood, a Crystal and an Ambrosia. Plus you advanced the story.

Edit: TRIPLE KILL

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Oh poo poo you’re right, I forgot about that. So if I do a run with 2 heat I’ll get all the rewards again? And so on with 3, 4, etc?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

edit: jeez, beaten 3 times in the time it took me to check who each reward came from!

RCarr posted:

Each time you clear a level with each weapon you'll get ambrosia, titan blood or a diamond.

So clearing Lenrie with sword/spear/rail etc is 6 diamonds total, for example. And another 6 blood from the furies, and another 6 ambrosia from the heroes.

RCarr posted:

Oh poo poo you’re right, I forgot about that. So if I do a run with 2 heat I’ll get all the rewards again? And so on with 3, 4, etc?

Yes, exactly that.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

yup. just remember you get the rewards for the lowest level heat you haven't beat yet, so if you now decide to turn on 5 heat for some reason and run through, you'll get the rewards for 2 heat (and if you run it again get them for 3 heat, etc.)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

priznat posted:

Thanatos only ever turns up in the house if you meet him in the run beforehand

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
I think I just must suck at this game I’ve got to the last boss at least five times and failed miserably each one only got him to the second life bar once.

Does kicking it to god mode lock you out of rewards or story?

I think I’m around escape 36 or something close.

Nash fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 24, 2021

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Nash posted:

I think I just must suck at this game I’ve got to Hades at least five times and failed miserably each one only got him to the second life bar once.

God Mode doesn't lock anything out I don't think, it's great. I am not great at fast games so I do not regret turning it on. I seem to have hit my level on it and it would be nice if it had a method to just go down when you get a clear as well. I'm too lazy to go edit the save file manually :haw:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

It took me until the 50s to get my first kill, you'll get there.

That said, god mode does not lock you out of anything. It's just a damage reduction that increases gradually when you die, not actual invincibility.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The RNG is being unkind with people not being where they usually are in the House now that I'm actively trying to throw presents at them.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Nash posted:

I think I just must suck at this game I’ve got to the last boss at least five times and failed miserably each one only got him to the second life bar once.

I first beat it at 36 so you're very close. It took me 7 or 8 tries to actually kill him, keep at it, keep upgrading yourself and if you still can't manage it you have God Mode.

RCarr posted:

Welcome to the rest of your life!

Also, if you repeat a heat level all you're going to get is Darkness after each boss in increasing amounts, but it is a very good way to mass grind the stuff if you feel like you need to for whatever reason.

My Eris run went very well. I got too many good things in it and just swept the final boss. I had only about 200 hp total too, which is rare for me, I usually try for more. Now I got Fists, so here's hoping I don't jinx another ZagFist/Feather run, which I'm undefeated with. I died at freaking Tisiphone, One punch before killing her, but I expect dying will get rarer from here on out.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Nash posted:

It took me around that many runs to kill him I think, I also worried that I was just bad at it. Now without any heat I kill him more often than not. Keep going, you're almost certainly getting better and closer even if it doesn't always feel like it

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

AngryRobotsInc posted:

The RNG is being unkind with people not being where they usually are in the House now that I'm actively trying to throw presents at them.

Grab the bats cage(?) for the lounge, inspecting it gives you an aerial view of the entire house of hades.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Nash posted:

Nah, I'm kinda right there too, run 32 last night I just discovered he gets a second life bar, my third time to him. But I got close, so I'm hopeful. It's been a progression where each boss seems really tough then 5-10 runs later I'm consistently getting past them. I'm sure the old man will be the same soon, just keep trying right.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Hypnos is the best character. He's even voiced by one of the writers.

mortal
Oct 12, 2012

Dyz posted:

Grab the bats cage(?) for the lounge, inspecting it gives you an aerial view of the entire house of hades.

This is good info. Any other upgrades that are more than just cosmetic? I know the harp is needed to advance a plot line.

I turned on god mode after my 30th run, having only reached Hades twice. My 38th run was my first clear and kicked off a run of 17 straight clears before I turned god mode off. God mode allows you to last longer, meaning more practice against enemies and more darkness/keys per run to power yourself up. Turning it on if you're hitting a wall is a good thing.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think the couch is needed for Hypnos.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

mortal posted:

This is good info. Any other upgrades that are more than just cosmetic? I know the harp is needed to advance a plot line.

Yes, couches are important in two different ways. And Dusa needs your help with making the lounge all spiffy.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is it just random if you get 2 or 3 furies with Desperate measures on?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Took me 48 runs to beat the boss for the first time and i didn't clear the game until like 100+ and i was seeing new dialogue that whole time

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Put god mode on and cleared it the first run afterwards!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

RatHat posted:

Hypnos is the best character. He's even voiced by one of the writers.

He's pretty great, yeah. As another poster said, he walks a fine line between being snarky and being earnest and well-meaning, you're never sure which is which.

E: What is the funniest cause-of-death reaction from Hypnos? So far, it has to be from the chariots: "You really should look both ways before crossing the street!" Yeah, sure, I'll keep that in mind, thanks...

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 25, 2021

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I don’t think there’s any way to interpret Hypnos as so genuinely oblivious that he’s accidentally being condescending, at least once you get to know him. Definitely comes across as an rear end in a top hat without that context though.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

He's pretty great, yeah. As another poster said, he walks a fine line between being snarky and being earnest and well-meaning, you're never sure which is which.

E: What is the funniest cause-of-death reaction from Hypnos? So far, it has to be from the chariots: "You really should look both ways before crossing the street!" Yeah, sure, I'll keep that in mind, thanks...

When I managed to die to a spike trap, he asked if I had tried not being there when they popped out.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

AngryRobotsInc posted:

When I managed to die to a spike trap, he asked if I had tried not being there when they popped out.

If you dash you can get off the spike trap after it activates but before you take damage, so you actually can not be there when they pop out.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Made it out on my 25th attempt! This game is fun as hell.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

skipped from heat 3 to heat 16 on coronacht and somehow won first try with like 20 seconds left to spare. skelly you son of a bitch

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Tatsuta Age posted:

skipped from heat 3 to heat 16 on coronacht and somehow won first try with like 20 seconds left to spare. skelly you son of a bitch

Congratulations! Now time to see what's behind door 32...

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Artelier posted:

Congratulations! Now time to see what's behind door 32...

at this point I'm convinced Poseidon call and a couple upgrades to it can carry almost any build, its so wild

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Man, this game is addictive. I'm sitting here at work just looking forward to taking another crack at an escape and thinking about what boon combinations might help me overcome the odds... :D

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

RatHat posted:

Finally unlocked the hidden aspect for the Gun and yikes. I’m hesitant to call it bad but it’s definitely rough. Its single target damage is pretty good but it locks you in place and it really struggles against lots of enemies, so much so that I’m not sure how you’d use it effectively without Zeus on attack. I think you’re supposed to use the special for AoE damage but it’s soooo slow. And it has a control issue too: You want to use auto targeting to lock on to enemies but if you do that then it’s hard to pop your own bombs from your special.

Just did my first clear with Lucifer, had the Poseidon boon that pushes enemies away with the attack and the hammer for infinite ammo. Just stood in the middle of each room and spun around, other than the bosses nothing could get close to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Tatsuta Age posted:

at this point I'm convinced Poseidon call and a couple upgrades to it can carry almost any build, its so wild
I've been liking the Thanatos companion because even though you can't use it in the final fight it trivialises Theseus and Asterius (and other boss fights) as well as being a get out of jail card for any room so it allows you to build totally with the last fight in mind.