Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
There is a very good chance someone I know will die from covid this wave.

My brother, boss, 4 coworkers, my neighbor, and my step-daughter's boyfriend are all unvaxxed.

6 of these people are very unhealthy. 3 have asthmatic, copd, or diabetes. 4 are fatties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Schnorkles posted:

i think the CFR of COVID when you hit the ICU isn't good pretty much no matter what

How's the CFR for the overflow tent in the parking lot because the ICU is full?

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

learn to live with covid. until you cough your cheese lungs out your nose in a ditch next to the packed nurseless ER

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

No, it's not.
Pre-COVID, the idea of forcing someone to wear a mask would blatantly be a violation of that's person's rights. To argue otherwise is delusional.
Now, for the safety of others, we may violate some rights in order to preserve the rights of others.
One could hypothetically use this to justify stop and frisk, claiming that while it violates the rights of few, it could prevent the detriment to the majority and be the decision for the greater good of society.
And that's exactly what this policy is, we are willing to violate the rights of some to preserve the rights of the majority.
I honestly think that's a legitimate discussion to have and could be the right deicsion, but to think this is some below average intelligence argument is naive and idiotic.

People could be "forced" to wear masks pre-COVID, it was just so infrequent for the vast majority of people that it just never came up, and largely wasn't even a political thing or they saw it as just part of a job. No document that had two chances to abolish forced labor and refused to both times contains any rights that are truly immutable or that cannot simply be ignored, just ask the Roberts court lol

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Thoguh posted:

These any good?

Pre-Delta assessment: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7003e3.htm

Compared to PCR-positive tests, 64% false negative for asymptomatic, 36% false negative for symptomatic. Undetectably low false positive rates.

So, not great - especially for screening tests for asymptomatic cases. Better than nothing?

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Thoguh posted:

Trying to get her to go to the burial but not attend the funeral is going to be my argument. Dunno if I'll win. Throughout the whole last year we've generally been on the same page with COVID but anything involving her family gets dicey.

I went to a funeral with my chud family a few weeks ago and dodged a bullet. however two of them got covid not even two weeks later. beware

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

stop and frisk is a search which is explicitly limited by the fourth amendment . anyway cops can do whatever they want with a “reasonable suspicion”

wearing a mask lmao it’s like not a big deal

these people are insane

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

caelxii
Jun 20, 2003

Fix posted:

Are they providing any kind of home schooling for you? We don't go back until next week but I've been trying to follow how CA has been going.

The LAUSD "plan" I was aware of was if my kid was in contact or class with positive kid they'd get 10 days quarantine and a homework packet for those days, no Zoom. Which is why I'm wondering if Buffer's kid was kept in class with a kid that popped positive.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

There is a very good chance someone I know will die from covid this wave.

My brother, boss, 4 coworkers, my neighbor, and my step-daughter's boyfriend are all unvaxxed.

6 of these people are very unhealthy. 3 have asthmatic, copd, or diabetes. 4 are fatties.

I’m an asthmatic prediabetic fattie with a compromised immune system

poo poo

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Today

Yesterday

Since Jul 26
https://imgur.com/a/j5Ag7mG

covidactnow.org

Florida just looks gangrenous just being 95+% deep red

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Stevie Lee posted:

e: i went to my grandma's burial but we didn't have a real funeral

sucks. im sorry you experienced my biggest dread.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Thoguh posted:

Trying to get her to go to the burial but not attend the funeral is going to be my argument. Dunno if I'll win. Throughout the whole last year we've generally been on the same page with COVID but anything involving her family gets dicey.

I went to a wedding for a sibling recently and it was the most wild covid isnt real poo poo I've ever seen. Someone turned to me during it and said "arent you glad to be back to normal?!" People get so weird about poo poo like this. Good luck! Try and be upwind of everyone is my protip and dodge the virus like :moonrio:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The 'pre-existing conditions' poo poo is funny because 75% of America has a pre-existing condition, we are an incredibly unhealthy society that puts perpetuating unhealthy behavior up on a pedestal.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

etalian posted:

Yeah the whole "live with virus argument" is hilariously dumb.

I know even in FL with the wild west Open Up ASAP environment I still see piles of new businesses closing each month in the area.

China's approach was taking aggressive consistent actions early on, which while painful in the short run actually solves the problem of preventing exponential growth from taking off.

The live with the virus argument is the only argument that makes contact with reality in America. 1/3 of Americans aren’t going to vax nor even wear masks.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lmao is that the horse dewormer ?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

euphronius posted:

No he's an anchor on fox

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

euphronius posted:

well it’s a human version of it yes

ivermectin is used very commonly as an antiparasitic in humans too

... for things like river blindness and other nematode related afflictions

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

my grandmother who raised me told me not to try and come home for the service if she croaks. made me promise.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Thoguh posted:

These any good?

"Due to the relatively small sample size for the home use clinical study, the BinaxNOW COVID-19 Antigen Self Test is estimated to correctly identify between 73.0% and 98.9% of positive specimens in the 95% Confidence Interval.

The performance of this test is still being studied in patients without signs and symptoms if respiratory infection and for serial screening. Performance may differ in these populations."

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Starting to believe the goons that have been screaming about the ruling class wanting a cull

"Covid is here forever, so stop wearing masks and embrace the sickness" is some real Nurgle cultist poo poo

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
we are straight up not having a good time in my county

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
they rely on people to voluntarily jam a stick up their nose so half of them probably will do the outermost bit just to not sneeze or poke their brain

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

somebody on FNC's board owns stock in an ivermectin pharma, gotta be it

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Floor is lava posted:

we are straight up not having a good time in my county

28 out of 39 lmao

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Business Gorillas posted:

Starting to believe the goons that have been screaming about the ruling class wanting a cull

"Covid is here forever, so stop wearing masks and embrace the sickness" is some real Nurgle cultist poo poo

Do not insult Nurgle by comparing him to our ruling class!

Metrodextrous
Aug 6, 2007

alright dude whatever

i hope ur asshole grows shut
https://imgur.com/zsxTBTz

she went on further to say that there’s a whole lot of “it’s a business” and “personal responsibility” in their group chats

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

euphronius posted:

stop and frisk is a search which is explicitly limited by the fourth amendment . anyway cops can do whatever they want with a “reasonable suspicion”

wearing a mask lmao it’s like not a big deal

these people are insane

IMO it's a consistent worldview. They believe the law protects them but should not bind them, whereas stop and frisk is done to others that they believe the law should bind and not protect. They're only upset because theyre being inconvenienced by it (see: the flash in the pan police brutality had immediately after 1/6)

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

Do not insult Nurgle by comparing him to our ruling class!

Ironically my one friend who plays a Nurgle army has become fully blackpilled and starts getting mad at me whenever I acknowledge covid is a thing

Testvan
Nov 10, 2003
pathetic cowards surrendering to covid
bitch we are covid's food source

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

a chaos god would be light years better than capitalism

maybe not khorne

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Thoguh posted:

What was the most reliable rapid test currently? My wife's grandpa just went to the hospital for what is most likely the last time and I think I'm going to have to juggle a funeral and some family stuff in the next week or two and I'll end up on goondivorce.xls if I try to completely stop my wife from going down to see her grandma and the funeral but she would be totally on board with taking a rapid and a PCR test before coming back home and interacting with our newborn again.

These any good?

take the rapid and pcr after she flies home and in isolation for 2-5 days while waiting incubation time to test and get results. just assume no matter what the flight home is going to infect you

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Give me COVID, Grate My Lungs!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Nocturtle posted:

NYC data also still consistent with an overall CFR of 1.4%, hospitalization rate of ~8% and hospitalization death rate of ~20%. This seems very similar to last year. Guessing the main impact of the vaccines is to drastically increase the number of asymptomatic and unreported cases. Once a case is detected and tested the likelihood of hospitalization and death is about the same pre-vaccine. Possibly because mostly unvaccinated people are still getting hospitalized and dying.

yep that's my read of it too. we probably would have been perfectly fine if we kept it masked up and close er down all through spring and summer instead of letting delta get a foothold and grow wild :/

Soylent Majority
Jul 13, 2020

Dune 2: Chicks At The Same Time

Thoguh posted:

that was what we ended up doing for my grandmothers funeral - graveside stuff you can keep distance from the throngs of unvaxxed family, but the actual service is just a nasty roll of the dice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Give me the COVID
Grate My Lungs
I wanna choke on
some phlegmy chunks
and drift away!