Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Nightwings superpower is how he figured out how to twirl his escrima sticks like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vincent posted:

Nightwings superpower is how he figured out how to twirl his escrima sticks like that.

I thought it was the rear end.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rhyno posted:

That's finely honed natural talent.

Edit: This weeks Supergirl is basically them going to Jim Crow America planet.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 17, 2021

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Rhyno posted:

Twirling escrima sticks with your rear end is a rare, rare talent, one I've only witnessed at select Gay Student Union parties in the aught. Dick doesn't have the balls, as it were.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Nightwing and flash are both great this week.

Supergirl is a tom king book

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Mr Hootington posted:

Supergirl is a tom king book

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2017/08/07/enlisted-woman-1st-fly-air-force-drones.html

???

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

That looks just like Supergirl.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Seconding this. I thought they'd drag out the Heatwave stuff but instead resolved in (in Flash at least) very well and Nightwing was just drat good.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The only criticism I have about Nightwing was take the loving cowl off when you talk to your son, Bruce. And I love the idea of Dick being a mentor to Jon in Superman, like, this is the dude both his dad and best friend trust more than anyone.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Having watched the Suicide Squad movie, I'm struck by how absolutely awful Amanda Waller and the Task Force X program is.

I think DC could do a really good story about Superman deciding to shut the program down

Not by just flying through some concrete walls and beating up some C list supervillains.

More have him learn about a few bad but not evil/ misunderstood villains ending up dead as a result of a Suicide Squad mission. Then make the story be about Clark Kent doing his best to expose the Task Force X programme and also keep his secret ID safe.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If you shut it down you can't sell comics about it then.

Also that secret ID ship sailed a while ago. Everyone on the planet knows now.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Well between Elseworlds and Multiverse shenanigans, you could always do it as a side gig.

Like I think between comments on
Government accountability, is the nature of prison supposed to be punishment or rehabilitation* and how for all Waller's talk about standing up for mankind she just wants to enslave superhumans, I think you would have a lot of good story material to mine. It could be done as a superhuman version of a spy thriller ala "3 Days of the Condor."

* = And how the Suicide Squad spectacularly fails at this. How does reducing Deadshots life sentence by sending him on Black Opp's mission rehabilitate him? It doesn't, unless your definition of rehabilitation is "willing to do what the Government tells him what to do."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So what's the deal with Lord Death Man?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
gotta be honest, going in i thought a Tom Taylor Superman would be a no brainer, but it's not really doing much for me

also the (hopefully guest) artist on Harley Quinn was a huge step down from rossmo

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dawgstar posted:

So what's the deal with Lord Death Man?

He's from Bat Manga.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

site posted:

gotta be honest, going in i thought a Tom Taylor Superman would be a no brainer, but it's not really doing much for me

Yeah I didn't love it either. The bit at the school was pretty bad and the rest of the setup doesn't seem all that interesting. Hopefully it improves with time, as I like most of Taylor's other stuff.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think the 'secret identity is bac- LOL JK' idea was a bad move. I get it was to sell that Jon wouldn't jump through the same hoops as Clark would to preserve it when lives are at stake, but it felt like wasted page space in this issue, and retroactively last one. And the disguise being lovely was probably deliberately to make you realise it wasn't sticking around, but I'm not sure introducing that notion and potential interesting direction is smart if you're not gonna use it.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
If Superman '78 #1 were a trailer, I would purchase my tickets to the premiere immediately.

It's probably gonna disappoint, but what a re-introduction.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
"It's like Mortal Kombat but with Furries"

Man I missed shenanigans in the Red. This King Shark mini is neat and reading his voice as the King Shark from Harley Quinn works really well.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
How was I am Not Starfire?

I know a bunch of fuckwits hated it but I'd prefer to not have to wade through their poo poo to find trustworthy opinions.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The Question IRL posted:

Well between Elseworlds and Multiverse shenanigans, you could always do it as a side gig.

Like I think between comments on
Government accountability, is the nature of prison supposed to be punishment or rehabilitation* and how for all Waller's talk about standing up for mankind she just wants to enslave superhumans, I think you would have a lot of good story material to mine. It could be done as a superhuman version of a spy thriller ala "3 Days of the Condor."

* = And how the Suicide Squad spectacularly fails at this. How does reducing Deadshots life sentence by sending him on Black Opp's mission rehabilitate him? It doesn't, unless your definition of rehabilitation is "willing to do what the Government tells him what to do."
It would be the perfect superhero analogy point for an exploration of carceral state stuff, because yeah, it's pretty much just using the mechanisms of the state to get free superhuman labor, often from superhumans who have serious mental disorders.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Infinite Frontier has devolved a bit into the something something COMBINE THE MULTIVERSAL ENERGY in order to something something else multiverse something, but I'm hoping it can pull itself out of this stoop because it's just kinda fun to see these forgotten characters get more playtime these days.

Also, is it just me or does Extract's backstory not actually make any sense? She's the original Earth-2 Cameron Chase, but there was no Cameron Chase on Earth-2...and more importantly, even if there was, only the Earth-2 characters that didn't have direct counterparts on Earth-1 would still be hopping around anyway. That's why Alan Scott and his kids are here, but the OG Superman isn't. So why has there been a Cameron Chase that's been around since post-Crisis and New52 and Rebirth but then all of a sudden now her Earth-2 version has actually been here too, when that's not how it's worked for anyone else?

...I may be overthinking this.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

BrianWilly posted:

Infinite Frontier has devolved a bit into the something something COMBINE THE MULTIVERSAL ENERGY in order to something something else multiverse something, but I'm hoping it can pull itself out of this stoop because it's just kinda fun to see these forgotten characters get more playtime these days.

Also, is it just me or does Extract's backstory not actually make any sense? She's the original Earth-2 Cameron Chase, but there was no Cameron Chase on Earth-2...and more importantly, even if there was, only the Earth-2 characters that didn't have direct counterparts on Earth-1 would still be hopping around anyway. That's why Alan Scott and his kids are here, but the OG Superman isn't. So why has there been a Cameron Chase that's been around since post-Crisis and New52 and Rebirth but then all of a sudden now her Earth-2 version has actually been here too, when that's not how it's worked for anyone else?

...I may be overthinking this.

the comic rules and makes perfect sense.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I know a bunch of fuckwits hated it but I'd prefer to not have to wade through their poo poo to find trustworthy opinions.

It was fine. Not great, but fine. The intended audience will probably get more enjoyment out of it than me, a cranky old person.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Was a fair bit shorter than most of the other ogns and unfortunately suffers for it some in the back half, but overall I enjoyed it and would still recommend checking it out

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Harley cartoon tie in book was real good. Picks up literally where the show ended, but I am a little worried they'll use it to excuse skipping over some of the issues this story's raising in the show itself.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Vandar posted:

It was fine. Not great, but fine. The intended audience will probably get more enjoyment out of it than me, a cranky old person.

site posted:

Was a fair bit shorter than most of the other ogns and unfortunately suffers for it some in the back half, but overall I enjoyed it and would still recommend checking it out

Thanks! It's for my daughter so it sounds like it'll be worth picking up.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I was enjoying Infinite Frontier but that was when I thought it was setting up maybe some long running plot threads for future books. Now it looks like it's just setting up YET ANOTHER Crisis crossover thing and I'm like Christ can we not make it even a year without one of these?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

TwoPair posted:

Now it looks like it's just setting up YET ANOTHER Crisis crossover thing and I'm like Christ can we not make it even a year without one of these?
Is there anything DC is more addicted to than creating excuses to retell all their characters' origin stories?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm not sure why I'm even reading it. It's totally fine, but there's also I couldn't be less interested in stories about DC's meta-lore. I just get so bored with "You're from Earth-2 but the Earth-2 before Earth-0 blew up the multiverse so you don't exist, unlike the you from the Earth-2 after it came back and blah blah blah"

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'm enjoying infinite Frontier, but I like dc meta-lore plus so far it is a self contained story which I hope stays that way. A ton of good unused DC characters returned for this. DEO, JSA, Multiversity gang. Love it.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Is there any indication as to what’s coming as the next major event after Infinite Frontier (without just answering “a crisis”)? I know the original CD plan was likely 5G related which is scrapped, but it seems like we’re still in the same-ish place we starting of “Darkseid something something multiverse”.

Overall I’ve liked the series but I think it was more interesting to follow when all the story threads were separate. Any one of those could have been it’s own mini almost, and now that it’s at the end and it’s just “everyone in the same place let’s fight” it seems less fun.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Next week is Blue & Gold #2. I am tired of waiting.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Infinite Frontier mostly feels like they just rushed to what seems to be the climax.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Cael posted:

Is there any indication as to what’s coming as the next major event after Infinite Frontier (without just answering “a crisis”)? I know the original CD plan was likely 5G related which is scrapped, but it seems like we’re still in the same-ish place we starting of “Darkseid something something multiverse”.
Infinite Frontier's creative team is moving over to a second mini-series Justice League Incarnate, "the second art in the Infinite Frontier saga".

This implies sometime next spring there will be a third act, which will presumably be the big Crisis event. Or a third mini-series.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Third act? Don't they only have one issue left?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Azubah posted:

Third act? Don't they only have one issue left?

The third act will be the third mini. With Justice League Incarnate being the second.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i read the cass cain batgirl the last couple days and man, the only person to do her right was kelley puckett. and that ending?? oof

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

site posted:

i read the cass cain batgirl the last couple days and man, the only person to do her right was kelley puckett. and that ending?? oof

A lot of people enjoyed Gabrych's work on the book, including myself, because giving Cass her own neighborhood and such and having her paired with Tim was both really nice touches. Even, if you squint, the ending could have worked but the problem is what comes after. That book really got it in the neck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Dawgstar posted:

A lot of people enjoyed Gabrych's work on the book, including myself, because giving Cass her own neighborhood and such and having her paired with Tim was both really nice touches. Even, if you squint, the ending could have worked but the problem is what comes after. That book really got it in the neck.

maybe if it was given more time to develop the bludhaven stuff but as it was, if you're reading her book by itself, the pairing with Tim lasts like only two issues, the only supporting cast member she gets is the barista who barely gets developed, and gabrych either decided that Cass needed a constant stream of narration boxes, or didn't understand how to write a book without them, which bugged me. as problematic as horrocks' stint on the book was even he managed that part. i couldn't even tell you the difference between bludhaven and gotham from that book because she's fighting gotham enemies in gotham style locations up until the last arc about her mom which doesn't even take place in bludhaven

site fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 6, 2021