Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Serephina posted:

I just finished unlocking the fourth character (mister shotgun), and was wondering what are some tips to help that you might wanted to have told yourself in hindsight?

The jetpack thruster-enhancing thing (I think it's a chip) is a fairly significant quality of life upgrade, and worth buying on basically every character, in my experience. Getting around faster and easier is useful for escape, attack, and saving time. Hell, you can often just rocket past poo poo. Having well-prepared characters is worth the points; you'll make all those simulation-dollars back in no time.

Pursuant to that: bring a stun gun or some EMP grenades in your starting kit. Jetpack past everything you don't want to fight and simply short out the Typhon gate consoles. The stun gun is more efficient if you plan to double back a lot, but the grenades are much easier to use in a hurry (i.e. while fleeing the moon shark).

You can complete an escape objective nine tenths of the way and then leave the final step for another character to complete. Then the next character can get the ball rolling on some other stuff before making a relatively painless departure. For this reason I'll often hoard food, drinks, and radiation meds if I'm not hard up for inventory space; they're useful in an emergency, and if my rounds happen to take me to the ol' cargo cannon, so much the better!

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The easiest way to beat the game is to use the Engineer to basically loot and stockpile everything and fix everything while keeping Corruption at the lowest level, then quickly do all the runs you were planning to do with the other characters. It's mildly degenerate gameplay, tbh, but the game is lengthy enough that I couldn't be arsed to do it otherwise.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Serephina posted:

I just finished unlocking the fourth character (mister shotgun), and was wondering what are some tips to help that you might wanted to have told yourself in hindsight? Should I be dumping excess crafting gear in the crater as I go to escape with a character? Opening runs with the mechanic to leave behind a trail of fixed things? Meticulously check each area at each hazard level to see what new human corpses spawn? I'm currently gearing up with about 5-7k worth of toys per run and have 80k banked, I kinda have a feeling I'll be needing that bank for control modules instead of splurging on neuromods, right?

As you complete objectives, you should pretty soon unlock the mule operator, if you haven't already. It serves as a shared inventory for all characters in your current simulation. You're correct that there's no point to carry items with you when you escape with a character. Just dump them before you make your exit, if you have more than the mule can carry.

Starting with the engineer to repair anything that's broken is generally the most optimal way to play, but mix things up for a challenge if that's getting stale for you. It's not just her ability to repair things, but that she's the only character with a large inventory. I'd also recommend that you stay below the threshold of Typhon neuromods with the engineer and custodian, so you can get some use out of turrets without having to do the hacking minigame. Speaking of that, in hindsight getting a mod to bypass hacking entirely might not be a bad idea, if you enjoy it as little as I did.

With a few exceptions, most bodies are static, and the rising corruption level will only spawn enemies, the items in the world stay the same. You can use a security console to find any bodies you've missed, the hidden ones usually have good item stashes.

I used to go heavy on the neuromods, and light on equipment when spending credits. I usually take the jetpack, neuroscope and a few chipsets, and loot the rest of my gear from the level.

It's fairly pointless to enter an area when there's no power; the security guy can open most unpowered doors with Leverage 3, but you usually won't be able to finish your objectives in an area when there's no power, and some doors can't be opened at all.

Major enemies all carry time loop items, so consider them loot pinatas. It is really, really easy to stay locked on a corruption level for as long as you like once you can craft them, but that's a pretty unfun way to play.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Hannibal Rex posted:

As you complete objectives, you should pretty soon unlock the mule operator, if you haven't already. It serves as a shared inventory for all characters in your current simulation. You're correct that there's no point to carry items with you when you escape with a character. Just dump them before you make your exit, if you have more than the mule can carry.

THERE, THAT'S IT, THE THING I WAS GONNA MISS. Motherfucker, I thought it was just a backpack expansion for the current character and I've been dumping stuff on bodies (totally inefficient).

Thanks for the tips guys, I've been mostly just blitzing past things and still have huge hunks of the map left unexplored. Should probably do one or two exploratory runs, but I gotta say this format really brings out the best of the 0451 genre, since you really gotta work with limited tools instead of a hugely OP Morgan and it's been super fun.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Wow I had no idea it was a shared inventory across characters, that sounds so much easier. Wish they spelled it out a bit better that's what it did for you.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Basic Chunnel posted:

Anyway, I've developed a system.

quote:

Chunnel's Marvelous Mooncrash Method

The object of this Method is to generate self-imposed tactical restrictions in Prey's roguelite expansion, Mooncrash.

The way it works: You take a deck of cards, shuffle it and draw until you break 21. Once you've broken 21, look at your assembled hand. Impose the restrictions of the numbers you drew PLUS the suits you drew. If you have multiples, use the next restriction down. Or don't, nobody's keeping score. Whether you use the restrictions for each character or draw a new hand with each death is on you.

Suits:
Clubs- Cannot use the mule operator.
Spades- Cannot build delay objects
Diamonds- Cannot build neuromods
Hearts- Must use delay objects immediately upon acquiring them.

Cards:
Ace- Subsistence Mode (basic equipment only at start)
2- Can only jump-mount gloo (if you can land straight on a surface, that's fine)
3- Must use trauma healing objects immediately upon acquiring them (in other words, if you get hurt, build the thing or start looking)
4- Cannot use chips.
5- Can only use stungun / EMP to pass barriers
6- Can only use control modules to restore primary power (does not apply to Director's mission)
7- Moon Sharks are sacred to you and you cannot harm them.
8- Can only use ordinary (white) weapons.
9- Can only use guns against flying typhon out of melee range (applies to cystoid and tentacle nests).
10- Must use medkits and hypos immediately on acquring them.
Jack- Cannot drop anything (can only use, consume or recycle to free inventory space)
Queen- Can only carry one stack of ammo (or 300x of battery / cell) and 2 of any grenade
King- Cannot use direct harm mind powers or bullet time (*jack / summoning / defensive powers ok)

If you draw an ace and a face card, reset the simulation.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Just a weird run where the Director got to upload herself without having to run across the map and raise/scan a random phantom. Was it since the corruption was still very low (3)? I think I saw that also happen with the space shuttle, I think you can just walk on out if it's still level1 without the neuromod? Any other mission objectives dramatically change based on corruption?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Once you have the pre-requisites for the non-story escape objective (piloting, food, etc) you can just go there.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

After bitching about the endgame of Prey a few months ago, I did a replay just now, and I think the secret for a not irritating endgame is to resolve as many sidequests as possible before the environment gets extremely weird. The second playthrough was actually 99% fun, as opposed to 85% with the the original.
Also go super Typhon neuromod, it's fuckin hilarious.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Just tried mooncrash and it felt absolutely tedious RNG lottery that expects you to know your route beforehand by fail and repeat waste of time with zero fun elements. Am I doing something wrong?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
It gets easier as you learn your way around the map. Your neuromods are permanent, and over time you become able to buy your characters some starting equipment that lets them get up to speed faster. It's not a roguelike that you can keep playing forever; once you master it, you can save all five characters in one run, and then it's over.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

You’re the problem. The game doesn’t like your energy. Change

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I've been having a hell of a time trying to get to the arboretum. I don't see Anders' body in the magnetosphere. What's going on? Is there another way to get in the maintenance tunnel?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
He can drift into a corner, but there should be a security station in the area you can use to mark him as an objective. If you have enough hacking, you can also shut down the sphere for a longer time to find him.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Mooncrash is a lot of exploration under a time constraint, then trying to backtrack to do mission objectives under an even sharper constraint while impossible enemies spawn in. It's like roguelites meet Hitman, and it's great.

My suggestion is to go in with the expectation of death, and just see how much you can see/do before getting overwhelmed. Also, ammo is a very different beast than the main campaign, not only is there enough that you don't have to be stingy, there's also nothing stopping you from starting every run with the pistol and 90+ bullets. It's a whole new ballgame baby!

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

for the last ten hours i just want to get back to a loving recycler and 3d printer is that so much to goddamn aaaaaask you psychic radioactive mooooonsters

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I'm in an area far where I'm supposed to be and the 3d printer says my neuromod license expired, even though it didn't. If go make it all the way back to the other printer, will it make more for me?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
nah you need to go to a specific computer in a specific location to activate more licenses (you only need to do this once). It's in the... neuromod division!

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Samopsa posted:

nah you need to go to a specific computer in a specific location to activate more licenses (you only need to do this once). It's in the... neuromod division!

I'm pretty sure the other machine would have made more (no error message) but I didn't click the make button. This one showed the error message before I interacted with anything. So I would have seen it before when I was futzing with the machine without smashing make make make.

Is the other license behind an ability lock?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Mescal posted:

Is the other license behind an ability lock?

It's a full-on sidequest.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

OzFactor posted:

It's a full-on sidequest.

I need lots of neuromods right now please there's something scary waiting for me in the lobby

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

welcome to Prey, enjoy your stay on Talos.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Mescal posted:

I need lots of neuromods right now please there's something scary waiting for me in the lobby

All you need is a shotgun and some slowmo :clint:

Alternatively, try sneaking :ssh:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Mescal posted:

You don’t need mods to run

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Email said there should be four to seven neuromods around in the neuromod division. I got into the storage, got the plans and the other stuff I'm to do here, found one neuromod under the grate nearby. Where are the others? Where should I throw a recycler charge to get tons of mineral material? Not clear on which objects recycle

Mescal fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 1, 2021

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Anything that isn't nailed down can be recycled. Bodies, leverage 3 objects, the works. You can make huge piles of stuff to throw a nade at if you're feeling like a boring person.

Exact locations of neuromod loot? Err, maybe a guide might have it but that's a real specific detail I think most of us would have forgotten. (Do not read a guide, game is better discovered). Best suggestion I have is to just look up? Lotsa vertical hiding spaces & exploration loot up there.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Neuromod is the one of the areas with some important secret crawlspaces in the walls right?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I remember one of the computers in the neuromod division had a clue regarding where to find a couple

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.
I've been playing this on PC after bouncing off of the console version; I just couldn't handle the aiming combined with the glitchy typhon movement; but now that I have a shiny new PC it's been fantastic.

I'm doing the first run on Nightmare/Survival and it was pretty tense at the beginning, but the difficulty is pretty manageable fine now that I've got a fully upgraded shotgun + level 3 combat focus & sneak attack, though you can still get killed pretty well instantly if they get the drop on you or you're not aware of your surroundings and get overconfident (electrical arcs have got me more than anything else). The added traumas and weapon degradation does make resource management a tab more important but it's largely been a non issue, especially with the number of operators hanging around that can give you a full heal. They seem a bit OP in that regard; I've barely needed to use any of the trauma specific medical items, aside from burn grafts. I have a feeling this would be pretty piss easy if have some familiarity with imsims and went Normal/no-survival.

Couple questions, I was under the impression that the Nightmare only showed up if you took Typhon powers, is this different on nightmare difficulty? Makes sense if so; they were intimidating at first but combat focus + unloading into them with a shotgun takes care of them pretty quickly.

Second, if I aim for the save-everyone ending, does failing to incapacitate mind-controlled humans count against that if they successfully suicide bomb?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
First: No, you will get that enemy regardless, the only difference is in a line of dialogue when you first see it.
Second: Yup, you really do need to save everyone iirc.

Honestly, cheevos ruined Prey as many people (including myself!) artificially limited themselves on their first playthrough just to get a lovely digital stamp. Dishonored was terrible for people ruining their own fun in the name of getting 'the right' endings, Prey is less bad since it's only cheevos (but everyone still can't help themselves!), so hopefully Arkane's new title will have even less implied conducts in order to save us from ourselves.

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011

Stockwell posted:

Second, if I aim for the save-everyone ending, does failing to incapacitate mind-controlled humans count against that if they successfully suicide bomb?

I'm 99% sure the mind-controlled people exploding don't affect the ending, at least if you don't lose a huge number of them. I lost one or two and still got it.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Stockwell posted:

Couple questions, [spoiler]I was under the impression that the Nightmare only showed up if you took Typhon powers, is this different on nightmare difficulty? Makes sense if so; they were intimidating at first but combat focus + unloading into them with a shotgun takes care of them pretty quickly.

IIRC there's some triggers and variables as to how often it'll spawn, but ultimately it'll be a presence either way.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
The Nightmare is generally on a timer and will spawn when you change between areas if the countdown has reached zero, but it also has a significant chance to instantly spawn in your current area when you spend Neuromods. I'm not quite sure if that only applies to Typhon powers, or if they only increase that chance.

And yeah, a bunch of the achievements in Prey can actively hurt your immersion, if you get hung up on trying to collect them all. No Powers and Typhon Only are a slog, because of the limited inventory space.

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
I'm going no-Typhon powers this time around, and I've just about maxed out my human ability tree, and I'm feeling pretty OP at this point, so if I did decide to go Typhon only I can see where inventory would be annoying, but I can imagine you can get away with not bothering with most weapons, aside from maybe one or two? Seems that most weapons have a typhon-power equivalent.

Not too worried about achievements there days, generally happy to just get what I get in a normal playthrough, and if there's some extra challenges that seem reasonable I'll work towards those two.

I only bother to 100% specific games I really enjoy, and so far that's been limited to the Shock series, Deus Ex HR, and the Souls series. Though it is looking likely that I'll be giving this one multiple playthroughs.

Stockwell fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 10, 2021

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Serephina posted:

First: No, you will get that enemy regardless, the only difference is in a line of dialogue when you first see it.
Second: Yup, you really do need to save everyone iirc.

Honestly, cheevos ruined Prey as many people (including myself!) artificially limited themselves on their first playthrough just to get a lovely digital stamp. Dishonored was terrible for people ruining their own fun in the name of getting 'the right' endings, Prey is less bad since it's only cheevos (but everyone still can't help themselves!), so hopefully Arkane's new title will have even less implied conducts in order to save us from ourselves.

It's an interesting problem. I loved Nethack conducts and thought they should come to more video games. But now that we've seen it in achievement form it definitely feels like a net negative.

Maybe a system where those sort of achievements don't unlock on your first playthrough? Ideally they shouldn't be something you shoot for on your first playthrough but are rather things you do to spice up repeat plays. Though that will get some Steam people real mad. They get pretty serious about their achievements sometimes.

Phigs fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 10, 2021

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

If you get it on GOG, there are no achievements. Thus is the path of enlightenment.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
A typhon playthrough requires some metagamey knowledge about a specific quest to be anything more than a dumb slog, and even then its still mostly a dumb slog. The problem is so many of the typhon upgrade paths are built to build off, synergize with, or benefit from the non typhon upgrades, and sort of step on each others toes. It doesnt really make any sense as a cheevo its just kinda dumb

The human only run is at least perfectly enjoyable, but it's just a more boring alternative to a normal run by locking you out of turning into cups.

I don't mind cheevos and this game has the potential for fun ones but the ones they went with are lovely.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 11, 2021

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Yeah I just realized typhon-only also locks you out of any psi point and psychoscope upgrades, which sucks in the latter case especially because it prevents you from equipping more than 2 scope chipsets, and most of the ones I've found so far have been psi related. So yeah that achievement seems dumb. Should have at least made an exception for psy point skills, but as it is you need 3 complete gimmick runs if you want those.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Achievements are just instructions on the least fun way to play a game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Finished the game, it was pretty fantastic and I was basically a god by the end, every weapon was fully upgraded and I had the human tree maxed; the chipset to provide more qbeam and disrupter ammo from destroyed operators means I was flush with ammo for the lead up to the climax and didn't really struggle with any of it.

A few thoughts

The ending was alright, if a bit underwhelming; it left a number of things unanswered, like if the events were a reconstruction of Morgan's memory, then what actually happened prior to the events of the game? Is Morgan still alive? Were the operators shown at the end real people or AI's that were inserted into your narrative, and based on real people? etc, etc.

Also was there much of an explanation for the nightmare? Most I could gather is that it was there to eliminate whatever the Typhon perceived as it's biggest threat, i.e. Morgan, but that's all I really got from it.

All in all it reminds me a bit of that Black Mirror episode Hang the DJ, however in that one there were indications throughout the episode that something was off about the whole thing.

Also it says I left 14 alive and killed one, but I can't think of who. I thought I could somehow spare the cook guy, because I ran in and disarmed his trap before it went off, and he just proceeded to laugh manically for a moment before abruptly turning into a corpse, so I'm not sure what happened there. Also I wrenched January near the end because he smelled suspicious, but I wouldn't think he counts. Also I blew up the shuttle that had already departed to earth, but it didn't even seem like that was acknowledged in the post-credits, and I would have figured that would have counted for more than 1 death in the final tally.

All in all, pretty solid, and still better than BioShock's ending for the most part, I admire their restraint in forgoing a boss-fight; just wish there was a bit more of an epilogue.

I'll more than likely play it again, especially to try out the Typhon mods, and of course there's Mooncrash, and I'm a sucker for roguelites, so I'm pretty stoked.