Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ironically enough, for his howard stern appearances, if he was acting like an ungrateful, stupid, loud-mouthed, piece of poo poo, annoying, awful poo poo-cock, then good job! Excellent work! Turns out he CAN do it.

Like Robin, he used the always classic "I'm playing a character" line to justify his on-air persona.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Sand Monster posted:

Like Robin, he used the always classic "I'm playing a character" line to justify his on-air persona.

Oh I remember; my point is that Jon confirmed that a bit.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Sand Monster posted:

He was Irish, fighting was in his blood!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

haljordan posted:

He was Irish, fighting was in his blood!

"I'm... Irish, I fight with... my............. words."

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

"I'm... Irish, I fight with... my............. words."

LOL yes, that was the quote. The most ridiculous statement ever. As someone who is Irish, I can safely say most of us only fight with our words if "words" is a code for a baseball bat.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

haljordan posted:

LOL yes, that was the quote. The most ridiculous statement ever. As someone who is Irish, I can safely say most of us only fight with our words if "words" is a code for a baseball bat.

I'm also mostly of Irish descent, so saaaaame here, my translucent friend.

Edit: holy poo poo, this happens so much...

(literally anybody): "I have something to say, and I'm about to say it... How about we..."
Howard: "Go ahead!"
Person: (continues to speak).

I can't remember the specific clip, maybe it was an ETA one, might've been the In Plain Sight saga, or it was Sal defending his marriage from Will, Howard was interjecting with "go ahead!" every other time someone was talking. Yeesh, give it a rest.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 24, 2021

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
People loving up their time on the show is heavily related to Howard making the majority of the cash. They see a large contribution they make to the show and think that should translate in to a large portion of the money, not realizing that it's Howard's game. The staff that stick around seem to understand that and just enjoy it. The rumors out there are that Howard is making $80-100m with Robin and Fred in $3m range and Gary in the $1-1.5m range. Artie spilled too many beans around 2007 and leaked that Gary was making $1m and he was making $900k at Sirius, up from the $500k he got on terrestrial. All of those numbers are crazy, but a small fraction of what Howard was paid for pretty large roles in the show.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Lifespan posted:

People loving up their time on the show is heavily related to Howard making the majority of the cash. They see a large contribution they make to the show and think that should translate in to a large portion of the money, not realizing that it's Howard's game. The staff that stick around seem to understand that and just enjoy it. The rumors out there are that Howard is making $80-100m with Robin and Fred in $3m range and Gary in the $1-1.5m range. Artie spilled too many beans around 2007 and leaked that Gary was making $1m and he was making $900k at Sirius, up from the $500k he got on terrestrial. All of those numbers are crazy, but a small fraction of what Howard was paid for pretty large roles in the show.

One of the main reasons why the Stern subreddit is beyond awful is the fact that sooo many of the posters there honestly and truly believe guys like Stuttering John and Grillo were underpaid. Grillo, the guy who can (and did) gently caress up a glass of hot water was making too much money in my estimation. He could've left at any point but he chose to stay there as an intern for like, 7 years. Stuttering John was only funny when he was literally told what to say, word for word. He definitely used his time on the show to make a ton of money on the stock market, though.

Howard makes the most money because he's Howard Stern and created the most famous radio show on the planet. Grillo had to come back one time to beg for $5,000 to get a lovely trailer back to shoot some TV pilot no one was every going to see.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 24, 2021

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

haljordan posted:

One of the main reasons why the Stern subreddit is beyond awful is the fact that sooo many of the posters there honestly and truly believe guys like Stuttering John and Grillo were underpaid. Grillo, the guy who can (and did) gently caress up a glass of hot water was making too much money in my estimation. He could've left at any point but he chose to stay there as an intern for like, 7 years. Stuttering John was only funny when he was literally told what to say, word for word. He definitely used his time on the show to make a ton of money on the stock market, though.

Howard makes the most money because he's Howard Stern and created the most famous radio show on the planet. Grillo had to come back one time to beg for $5,000 to get a lovely trailer back to shoot some TV pilot no one was every going to see.

I'm with you on Grillo, but I'll stand up to represent the group you're citing and say that I've advocated for John as entertaining radio on here and I'll continue to stick by that, along with KC from that late 90s / early 2000s era. John's annoyance to Gary alone is worth it to me just because that condescending, smug, elitist buffoon thought that he should be immune to mockery and ball-busting from people he considered beneath him (which of course John was in the show hierarchy) and John was relentless at it. The heist of the Gary Puppet, for example, was probably one of John's most famous schemes against Gary, but there are many other smaller pranks or memorable goofing on Gary segments.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

haljordan posted:

Howard should have paid everybody more. It was cruel to make people suffer when they're contributing genuine value.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

prefect posted:

Howard should have paid everybody more. It was cruel to make people suffer when they're contributing genuine value.

My logic is that if any of these guys thought they were being treated so poorly, they could go somewhere else. The fact that none of them had any success after leaving the show doesn't bode well for them.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

prefect posted:

haljordan posted:

My logic is that if any of these guys thought they were being treated so poorly, they could go somewhere else. The fact that none of them had any success after leaving the show doesn't bode well for them.

Stern has too much of a boomer mentality to be like that. It seems like younger generations are way less cutthroat about these types of things.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 24, 2021

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

haljordan posted:

That is Howard's logic as well and I agree. The entertainment industry is cut-throat as hell and he had a unique enough program that there were very few places these people could go anyway. One thing that was messed up was the fact that they would keep people on staff for years as unpaid interns. Short term unpaid internships used to be common, but they would find people that would be unpaid or paid below minimum wage under the guise of "intern" for years.

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.
Tom Chiasanno once let it slip that the difference between what Jackie wanted and what the station/show was offering was around $50k which had to have been less than 1% of the overall contract. Jackie was also too cheap to hire an agent so he negotiated everything himself.

Stuttering John sincerely believed that Howard was going to give each staff member $1mm when he retired.

It's undeniable that Howard should spread the wealth more to some of the shows more important staff members, but he has always maintained (and correctly, I think) that if you have a good thing going, don't gently caress it up.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
what’s elegant elliott offerman up to

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
But if he's to be believed, Stern never paid anyone, it was all the radio stations. Now could Stern have just demanded that the station pay up? gently caress yes.

I have a theory that Stern was told, "Ok we can pay $Person what they want but it comes out of your end of things".

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Howard Stern paid me 10 million dollars

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

prefect posted:

Agreed, and now that the show is almost 100% Howard and Robin blathering about uninteresting poo poo, it shows how the HSS was great mostly due to the surrounding staff and characters. Howard is an expert at creating conflict, amplifying peoples' personalities (or lack thereof *ccchhkk*), and wrapping it all up into a humorous soap opera.

I can't remember the specific clip, maybe it was an ETA one, might've been the In Plain Sight saga, or it was Sal defending his marriage from Will, Howard was interjecting with "go ahead!" every other time someone was talking. Yeesh, give it a rest.

I'm annoyed by about a hundred different Howard quirks (french FRIES, chimPANzee, salaMANDER, JackBrucePlayedChordsOnTheBass, thefactofthematteris), but this one kind of blends in and didn't bother me too much. To me it sounds kind of like a radio technique of him wanting to hear more and giving the person permission to speak, as well as reminding the audience that he's listening to them. Or something like that

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

During Zero point Zero, Steve Langford says "the fact of the matter is" and hesitates as he says it. Was it know that Howard said that way too much? It felt like Steve had wished he chose different wording.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

I will freely admit that Howard will shamelessly go between "I'm not your boss , go talk to management!!" and "I'm your boss, I'm the only one you should listen to!"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

haljordan posted:

I will freely admit that Howard will shamelessly go between "I'm not your boss , go talk to management!!" and "I'm your boss, I'm the only one you should listen to!"

I am happy to do "agree to disagree" about pay, since we agree strongly here. :D :jj:

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Having spent the last decade watching a startup turn into a corporation owned by investment firms, Howard is doing all the typical manager moves. When you want more money, a manager will just tell you how much he'd love to give you a raise, even requested one for you, but there's just isn't enough money from above. But when you want to expense a $20 wireless mouse, you get an angry memo about how the department budget is just so thin.

I think Stern's stories of him being a meek program manager are bullshit. Him feeling horrible about firing someone or yelling at them is just a ruse to appear like he's just like all of us.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Edit: holy poo poo, this happens so much...

(literally anybody): "I have something to say, and I'm about to say it... How about we..."
Howard: "Go ahead!"
Person: (continues to speak).

The "go ahead" interjection is a regional NY colloquialism, much like "standing online". Artie did it often, mostly turning it into a quick "ga-head" sound, but he and Howard definitely were always using it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Sand Monster posted:

The "go ahead" interjection is a regional NY colloquialism, much like "standing online". Artie did it often, mostly turning it into a quick "ga-head" sound, but he and Howard definitely were always using it.

I didn't know this, so thanks!

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!

During Zero point Zero, Steve Langford says "the fact of the matter is" and hesitates as he says it. Was it know that Howard said that way too much? It felt like Steve had wished he chose different wording.

It was known and at least once a caller mentioned it, and then the whole group had a discussion about it. Here's where it's hazy, but I believe Howard listened and talked about it for a minute or 2 before moving on in a frustrated but not angry fashion.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Sand Monster posted:

The "go ahead" interjection is a regional NY colloquialism,

Really?

quote:

much like "standing online".

I thought that was a Queens-specific thing.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Fred, if you don't stop pushing that button, I'm going to show up and BREAK ALL YOUR

FINGERS.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Wendy: "Danny, what are you doing?"
Danny (ETM): "I'm trying to gently caress a chicken."

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Fred, if you don't stop pushing that button, I'm going to show up and BREAK ALL YOUR

FINGERS.

*pushes button*

I'll meet you at JFK. :smug:

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I think Fred would actually kill him though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Whenever I think of Jonah Falcon desperately trying to regain control of his lovely public access show, I laugh when I remember Sal's opening line of "DROP YOUR PANTS, SAILOR!".

Like :wtc:?

Edit: relistening to this one, too. This might be my all time favourite clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKVVT0g1Xqw

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 26, 2021

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Whenever I think of Jonah Falcon desperately trying to regain control of his lovely public access show, I laugh when I remember Sal's opening line of "DROP YOUR PANTS, SAILOR!".

Like :wtc:?

Edit: relistening to this one, too. This might be my all time favourite clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKVVT0g1Xqw

Love when he kicks Dracula and the rest of the band of the studio to talk to Sal and Richard directly.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

haljordan posted:

Love when he kicks Dracula and the rest of the band of the studio to talk to Sal and Richard directly.

The guy is comically disorganized, it's nuts.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Richard's "Hi, big No Gravity fan here" always cracks me up.

"Can you suck your own cock?"

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

All I can think of is George's bachelor party.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
As far as I can remember the only people who ever had even a mildly successful counter to the prank calls were the Shop & Swap shows that would just end the program when Richard and Sal started calling. Richard said it made him feel bad because he knew the locals liked the show and he felt like he was ruining it for them.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
The other thing about Shop & Swap was that they immediately had tons of copycats, so even finding a show of their own they could prank got impossible.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

cumshitter posted:

As far as I can remember the only people who ever had even a mildly successful counter to the prank calls were the Shop & Swap shows that would just end the program when Richard and Sal started calling. Richard said it made him feel bad because he knew the locals liked the show and he felt like he was ruining it for them.

I would absolutely love to hear a clip of Richard expressing any sort of remorse for dunking on Tradio.

The one that I feel bad for is the Asian woman who was painting. That felt mean, and while Richard's was all light-hearted with his list of holidays, Sal was, of course, racist, if not borderline-so.

One that I do love is the chess one, but it was with the woman with the thick accent who's being told what to say, calls her guest "Tana" when her name is clearly Tanya, which Tanya then yells back "Dat's not my name!". That was chaotic, especially being able to hear the producer during the show coaching the woman.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Don't know about where y'all are, but around here people are doing a lots of asking "HOW 'BOUT THAT HEAT"!?;!;?!?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Don't know about where y'all are, but around here people are doing a lots of asking "HOW 'BOUT THAT HEAT"!?;!;?!?!?

Yeah, I wanna talk about Baltimore...