Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Sub-Par League XIX, Week 9 Injury Report

Buntsville Bastards
Billy Wagner (RP) (Injured himself in horrible bunting practice accident) - 12 days

Center Line Sneki Sneks
Pedro Martinez (SP) (Out of empathy for the Golden Deer's Pedro) - 24 days

Glass Spiders
Billy Hamilton (CF) (Oh no!) - 9 days
Ernie Banks (SS) (Oh no!) - 13 days

Saudi Steamrollers
Charlie Gehringer (2B) (Elected new ambassador to Afghanistan) - 165 days

South Dakota Marmosets
Alex Rodriguez (3B) (Good) - 33 days

Stick Club Appellation Hither
Pedro Borbon (RP) (El Shaddai has forsaken him) - 25 days

Winnipeg Baseball Club
Paul Waner (RF) (Thought team was still called the Monarchs) - 99 days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Super-League XXXI, Week 9: PAIN

Pungry's Big Adventure, Part Nine posted:

ALPHA, BETA, GAMMA, EPSILON, ETA, KAPPA, NU

IN THE CIRCUIT COURT FOR THE SUPER-LEAGUE

THE ESTATE OF PUNGRY-ALPHA, individually and on behalf of all others similarly situated,

v.

THE OWNERS OF THE SUPER-LEAGUE

HABEASDORKUS' RESPONSE TO FRANKENFREAK'S MOTION TO DISQUALIFY

Introduction

This suit arises out of the negligent actions causing the wrongful death of at least seven Pungries. The estate of one of the Pungries, Pungry-Alpha, has brought suit against the owners of the Super-League on behalf of decedent and all other similary situated Pungries. frankenfreak, a defendant in this matter, has filed a Motion to Disqualify habeasdorkus as counsel for Plaintiff. For the reasons discussed below, his argument is meritless.

Argument

The central flaw in frankenfreak's argument, one that is ultimately fatal, is that it presumes that all habeasdorkus' maintain a similar relationship with the Super-League. He bases this assumption on the idea that since all Pungries begin from a common starting point, that so too do all iterations of habeasdorkus arise from a single starting point. That is a fair point as far as it goes.

frankenfreak then makes the leap of logic that the habeasdorkus acting as counsel for Plaintiff is a derivation of a hypothetical habeasdorkus-Prime. That presumes, and frankenfreak gives no plausible reason why such is the case, that there the purported habeasdorkus-Prime, currently acting as an owner in the Super-League, retains a relationship with the habeasdorkus acting as counsel. That is, of course, completely at odds with basic multiversal theory, which lays out that once a split in the timeline occurs, the two resulting alternate versions of a person are, in fact, no longer connected, and both reside in a universe of increasingly different composition. That is, whatever the status of habeasdorkus-prime may or may not be in regards to Defendant, the habeasdorkus acting as counsel may not have the same relationship. In addition, there is no relationship between habeasdorkus-prime and any other habeasdorkus beyond the point of the split timeline, and that the timeline has been split is an inference the Court must make for the class action suit to have any logical coherency at all.

frankenfreak then, in an act that borders on sanctionable, claims that habeasdorkus signed the complaint as 'habeasdorkus-prime', a fact that is simply not true. There is no local court rule that requires habeasdorkus to identify what timeline he is resident of, and the burden is on the movant in this case to show that an actual conflict of interest exists, not simply to use manufactured innuendo to lead the Court down a particular path.

More relevantly, the actual question that frankenfreak should have posed is whether or not the habeasdorkus who signed the complaint is considered an owner of the Super-League, and thus would have a conflict of interest. A brief examination of the timelines in question show that as there is a possibility that habeasdorkus who is counsel of Plaintiff is not an owner, there exists no cause to resort to the drastic remedy of disqualification.

One of the members of the proposed class is Pungry-Nu, a Pungry who comes from a timeline set over 2000 years in the future. In that timeline, it appears that the Super-League either does not exist, or exists in substantially altered form. In addition, no version of habeasdorkus has yet been identified in that timeline, and it is possible, if not likely, given that most other current owners in the Super-League are dead or substantially altered, that the version of habeasdorkus from timeline Nu (hereinafter "habeasdorkus-Nu"), is not an owner of the Super-League. If that is the case, and frankenfreak has shown no evidence whatsover that it is not the case, then no actual conflict exists, and habeasdorkus will be able to represent his client without worry of being compromised.

As a side note, any argument from frankenfreak that two different iterations of the owner cannot be on opposite sides of a dispute such as this one is risible. By that logic, the entire case would instantly fall apart given that Pungry himself, or a version thereof, is still an owner in the Super-League, and therefore is a defendant in this matter. Given that frankenfreak did not file a Motion to Dismiss on those grounds, the inference is that even he agrees that Pungry-Alpha is free to file suit against Pungry-Prime.

Simply put, not only is habeasdorkus waging war against habeasdorkus allowable, it is, given the nature of habeasdorkus, essentially inevitable.

WHEREFORE Plaintiff, The Estate of Pungry-Alpha, asks this Court to deny Defendant frankenfreak's Motion to Disqualify, order that Defendant frankenfreak be beaten with a lead pipe for his temerity and for whatever further and other relief this Court deems just and equitable.

Respectfully submitted,

habeasdorkus-Nu
Counsel for Plaintiff

Elsewhere...

The foxes clambered over the desk, pawing at the documents. They knew that this case would not be easy. frankenfreak had been write to act aggressively, to try and mill down the resources of Plaintiff, but they also knew that it was unlikely that the Court would grant the motion to disqualify habeasdorkus. Still, they would let the process play out. At the moment, there was only one thing to do...

What will the foxes do?

A. Find and eat small prey!

B. Network! It's important for small firms to network!

C. Dig a burrow!

D. Do actual legal work!

DELTA

C. Turn the radio on his nightstand to 86.7 KKIX: The Thunder > Buy a new radio! A better radio! > Attempt to listen to the HulkaChannel! > McFreeze has been dead for five year! > WAIT! There is a logical inconsistency here! > Keep looking for a new radio! > Learn about the human pancreas!

craigk watched Pungry warily, "There has to be something I can do to slow Pungry down. I can win the Vae Victis Division if only...I need to create a desperate need in Pungry for him to destroy himself."

"The pancreas does sound fascinating," craigk heard Pungry say.

"That'll do it." craigk said, seeing the opening, and quickly flapped his way over to Pungry. "Are you Pungry?" craigk asked.

"Yeah!" Pungry said.

"Friend." He said, putting one of his claws on Pungry's shoulder, "You are either closing your eyes to a situation you do not wish to acknowledge, or you are not aware of the caliber of disaster indicated by the presence of a pancreas in your body. Weeeeeeeeeeellllllllll, ya got trouble my friend, right here, I say, trouble right here in Pungry City." craigk's voice began to talk on a musical cadence. "Why sure, I have some organs, certainly mighty proud, I say, I'm always mighty proud to say it." craigk gestured to his pancreas. "I consider that the chemicals they secrete, helps you regulate your metabolism and digestion, help you digest food into nutrients, didja ever take and try and digest a gyros for yourself without your organs?"

Pungry was entranced, and craigk continued, "But just as I say, it takes hormones and enzymes of real organ to digest a gyros, I say that any nerd, can just have their pancreas help digest food. And I call that sloth, the first big step to the depths of degrada-I say, first, a few splashes of insulin, then glucagon into your intestines, and the next thing ya know, your liver is giving up on doing its job, and listening to your out-of-town gallbladder, hearin' him tell about bile secretion. Not wholesome bile secretion, no! But the bile secretion that breaks down the fats in your food! Make your blood boil?"

"Well, I should say," craigk's sense of theatricality continued, "Now, Pungry, lemme tell you what I mean, ya got a whole lot of parts to a pancreas, an organ that marks the diff'rence between a gentlemen and a bum, with a capital 'b', and that rhymes with 'p' and that stands for 'pancreas'! And all day long in Pungry City, your organs'll be fritterin' away, I say your other organs'll be fritterin', fritterin' away their hormones, enzymes, neurotransmitters too! Get the insulin from the pancreas! Never mind keepin' the heart beatin', or the lungs breathing', never mind pumpin' the blood, 'til your brain is caught with its blood unoxygenated, and that's trouble. Yes, you've got lots and lots of trouble. I'm thinking of the kidneys with their adrenal glands, little ones, peekin' at the pancreas, ya got trouble, Pungry! Right here in Pungry City! Trouble with a capital 't', and that rhymes with 'p' and that stands for 'pancreas'!" Craigk was now outright singing.

"Now, I know that you're the right kind of guy, I'm gonna be perfectly frank, would ya like to know what things go on in that pancreas? The pancreas is trying out all sorts of biochemicals. Tryin' out amylase and lipase and braggin' all about how they're gonna cover up the tell-tale signs with insulin. One fine night, the pancreas starts secreting serotonin, headin' straight for the brain! That's just the same as MDMA, and House, Trance music, that'll grab your mind with the arms of a sudden rush of good feeling! Mass-staria! Friend, serotonin is the devil's own water. Trouble!"

"Oh, I've got trouble." Pungry agreed.

"Right here in Pungry City!" Craigk pointed to Pungry's pancreas.

"Right here in Pungry City!" Pungry repeated.

"With a capital 't' and that rhymes with 'p' and that stands for 'pancreas'!" Craigk sang.

"Oh, Pungry! Heed that warning before it's too late! Watch for the signs of corruption! That moment you eat a bagel, can you feel it being digested? Is your body processing blood-sugar? Are you starting to see signs of unnatural good feeling? Well, if so, Pungry, ya got trouble, with a capital 't' and that rhymes with 'p' and that stands for 'pancreas'!" craigk continued.

What will Pungry do?

A. The mysterious singing stranger is right! Remove my pancreas!

B. Wait, did Smasher really reference the Music Man? In 2021?

C. I mean, poo poo, dude, at least the Monorail song from the Simpsons came out in the last 50 years!

D. I will not trust craigk!

"HOLD." A voiceless voice, piercing yet silent, entered the conversation. Pungry shuddered in fear. He had seen many horrors in his centuries fighting the forever war, but there was no horror greater than the what mankind itself had created. After over a 1000 years, very little remained of the ancient days when men could still tread on their mother world. Yet Bettman remained.

"WHO WOULD UNDO MY WORKS?" The voice demanded. Bettman had not yet materialized his true form. That was good. If he had, everyone in the room would be dead. The enemy stood silent, either unable or unwilling to respond to this new presence.

"It's a matter of triage." Pungry said defensively.

"WE WILL NOT ABANDON THE SOUTHERN HOLDS" Bettman said, not giving Pungry much room to wiggle around.

"If I may have a moment alone with the Commissioner." Pungry said to the representative of the enemy, before leaving the room. "Commissioner, the enemy is willing to make peace so long as they think the Florida Panthers are destroyed."

"UNACCEPTABLE. IF NECESSARY, WE WILL FIGHT FOR 1000 MORE YEARS." Bettman answered.

"I have no intention of giving them the Florida Panthers." Pungry said. "Whatever our differences have been, I've always, always been loyal to the cause."

"YES." Bettman agreed. "YOU ARE NOT LIKE THE OTHERS. YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE WHO UNDERSTANDS. BUT YOU ARE CONSIDERING SACRIFICING THE HURRICANES. THAT IS UNACCEPTABLE."

"They're not one of your Southern teams." Pungry said. "They're tainted, a WHA team that spent decades in Hartford. That's not something you can erase with a new logo."

"REGARDLESS, I CANNOT ALLOW THEIR DESTRUCTION." Bettman answered.

Pungry considered his options. "A different sacrifice?"

"PERHAPS." Bettman seemed willing to at least hear Pungry out.

"The Coyotes have been wandering for centuries. Love by no man, except me." Pungry said.

"NO." Bettman said.

"How about the Ducks?" Pungry asked. "Two teams in Southern California is probably at least one too many."

"NO." Bettman said.

Pungry thought about what sort of team Bettman would allow to be sacrificed in the Panthers' stead. "You've never liked teams from Old Canada."

"TRUE." Bettman agreed.

"The Canucks?" Pungry asked. "It's not like they were winning anything anyway."

"YES..." Pungry could feel that Bettman liked this suggestion quite a lot.

"Rise..." A distant voice woke Yaya from his millinnia-long slumber. Yaya lifted himself off the stone slab upon which he has slept for a very long time.

"What?" He asked, trying to wake himself up, before his eyes finally focused on the President of Otters, the spiritual leader of Vancouver Island.

"The time has come." The President of Otters explained.

"The Canucks are about to win the Stanley Cup?" Yaya said, suddenly feeling a surge of energy.

"No. The Canucks are about to be destroyed." The President of Otters corrected Yaya.

Yaya felt tired again. "And only I can save the Canucks from destruction?"

"Yes." The President of Otters said.

"I guess if they're going to ever win a Stanley Cup, they'll have to keep existing to do it. But how can they be destroyed? I defeated Bettman when I rescued the Thrashers from Atlanta!" Yaya said.

"So long as the spirit of hockey is corrupted by late-stage capitalism, Bettman can never truly die." The President of Otters said. "You know this, Yaya."

Yaya frowned. He had beaten Bettman before, and if he had to do so again, then so be it. Grabbing the Great Stick of Bure and the Enchanted Block of Loungo, he stalked out of the chamber. Bettman, and whoever was assisting him, would pay dearly for putting the Canucks in peril. This Yaya swore on the Sainted Twin Sedins.

What will Yaya do next?

A. Team up with the enemy to destroy Pungry!

B. Go back in time to pre-emptively destroy capitalism!

C. Wait, go back in time and have the Canucks actually win the cup in 2011! That's probably easier!

D. Stop for coffee! Yaya has been asleep for a very long time!

THETA

A. Turn the radio on his nightstand to 86.7 KKIX: The Thunder > Infiltrate the Indie Folk-Rock Scene to destry from within > The banjo > Venture in the Prog Crypt of mrnoun for relics! > The starry path! > Remember what he is here for, and get the relics! > Do not activate the orb.

"I'm not going to destroy the universe." Pngri said.

"Multiverse." The mrnoun hologram corrected Pngri.

"What's that?" Pngri said.

"Activating the orb would have destroyed all universes, not just this one." The mrnoun hologram explained.

"Why did mrnoun create something that would destroy everything?" Pngri asked.

"The spirit of prog rock is one of boundless creativity and innovation. Nothing is impermissible in the service of that goal." The hologram said dispassionately. "The orb was not necessarily to be used, but the idea of not creating it when it was possible to try and craft something like that? It would have been impossible for mrnoun to avoid."

"Great." Pngri said. "I'm going to go ahead and take it, even if I'm not going to use it. Because I really don't like the idea of an orb that can destroy everything just sitting around unattended. I probably should dismantle it, but I have no idea how it works, and I don't want to accidentally turn it on."

"I can take care of it." Pander CIV suggested. "Give it here, and I'm sure I can disassemble it. Some of the parts might be valuable."

What will Pngri do?

A. Give the orb to Pander CIV. Surely he can be trusted!

B. Do not give the orb of multiversal obliteration to Pander CIV!

C. Spike the orb on the ground dramatically!

D. Lament

IOTA

A. Acquire a pet kitten > Attempt to defuse tensions with an emotional dance > Dance a dance of grief > Suborn frankenfreak with Friendship Gyros > Write a letter explaining why you are currently a Riddle Joker, because frankenfreak is probably going to be freaked out otherwise! > Arrange an intervention, fearing for Pungry's sanity > Resolve to make a change!

"Very well! I will make a change!" Pungry said. "I will stop being Riddle Joker, right noooooooooooow!" He said, before doing an elaborate gesture with his arms. "Did it work? Am I back to being Pungry Classic?"

"No." CattMarp said.

"It's hard out there for a Riddle Joker." Pungry said. "Listen, have you considered that maybe being a Riddle Joker isn't so bad?"

"Isn't it from a game where they literally had to put in the game description that all of the characters were over 18?" Yaya asked.

"What, you wanted them to be under 18?" Pungry countered.

"I think I'm pretty sure that if you have to go out of your way to inform the audience that the character is over 18, it's not a great look." Yaya said.

"Yeah, how old are the characters in Skullgirls." Pungry had enough of Yaya's needling. Yaya, however, did not take the insult with grace, instead jumping out of his chair, only to be held back by frankenfreak and CattMarp.

"You bastard! I'll kill you!" Yaya said, trying to break free so he could assault Pungry. "You leave the Skullgirls out of this! They did nothing wrong."

"Now, Pungry." CattMarp interrupted. "That's now why we're here today. We're here to help you. Did you really come here just to pick a fight with Yaya?"

Pungry tried to remember why he had come. "Wait, no! I came because if frankenfreak wins the Memento Mori Division, something terrible will happen!"

"What will happen?" frankenfreak asked.

"I don't remember." Pungry said. "But it's bad! I remember that! But you're probably not going to win the division, so it's probably fine."

"We're a third of the way through the season, and I've held the lead in the division consistently." frankenfreak said. "And now that the Misanthropes in one week, that's probably not going to change."

CattMarp grimaced. "Yeah." He said sharply. "Did you nuke my players, frankenfreak?"

"Actually, no." frankenfreak said. "It was a lucky break, almost as if someone out there really wants me to win the division."

"Someone wants frankenfreak to win the division...?" Pungry thought about that.

What will Pungry infer?

A. It was Yaya! He doesn't want frankenfreak to win so much as CattMarp to lose!

B. It was habeasdorkus! Trying to cause havoc in the Super-League!

C. It was a Sub-Par League owner! They must have found a back door into the Super-League!

D. All of the above! It's a conspiracy!

LAMBDA

C. Acquire a pet kitten > Attempt to defuse tensions with an emotional dance > Dance a dance of grief > Prove them all wrong with the GREATEST DANCE! > Let's try dancing just one more time! To be sure! > Clearly, the problem is your shoes. Acquire better shoes! > Stop for lunch!

"I will stop for lunch!" Pungry said. "I will get the bestest lunch!"

Pungry knew that his words carried great meaning. Too much had happened. To many Pungries, in this timeline, and the others had died. They had died, and had not even gotten the chance to have lunch before they had died. "ginge, do you have any thoughts about lunch? Wait, you're British! So, you would probably just recommend a fried candy bar, and that would probably just kill me."

"That's a Scotland thing, I'm not Scottish." ginge said. "That's why you're able to understand the words I'm speaking, and also why I haven't tried to stab you with a knife. Scotsmen are dangerous. I know that you Americans, you watch your Simpsons, and assume that Scots are just like that Groundskeeper Willie, all full of funny accents and background character work. The truth is, a Scotsman will kill you given the slightest chance. They crave death in all of its forms. You think the deep-fried Mars bar was invented for the taste? You think they didn't know how unhealthy it was? Oh no, they knew. They were trying to kill anyone foolish enough to venture into Scotland."

"Just like Chicagoans with the deep-dish pizza!" Pungry said.

"That's right. Besides, there's plenty of fine food in England." ginge said.

"Is it really English food, or is it basically just food from other places that the English conquered and turned into colonies?" Pungry asked.

ginge paused. "I'd prefer you take a sort of a 'death of the author' type approach to the state of English cuisine. I don't know that looking into its origins does anyone any good. Do you really need to know how Tikka Masala came to be."

"I'm really not prepared to consider 'Tikka Masala' to be an 'English' dish. I can almost accept it being food that is commonly consumed in England, but that's as far as I'm willing to go." Pungry said. "What else you got?"

"We have a Ploughman's lunch! That's bread, onion, pickles, cheese and a glass of ale." ginge said. "Of course, that's not really a meal so much as an advertising campaign by the British Board of Cheese."

"Isn't the beer served lukewarm?" Pungry asked.

"What? No. It's served at a normal temperature. It might not be as cold as beer is served in America, but excessive chilling deadens the flavors." ginge explained. "Where are you getting your information about Britain from?"

"Harry Potter!" Pungry said.

"Not representative of Britain." ginge said. "If I had magic, wouldn't I use the magic to at least win my own division? Don't you think Barrow would be a bit higher up on the pyramid?"

"Well, I assume other British people are using their own magic, so it all balances out. Like, the people at Manchester City United have the most power." Pungry said. "So that's why they always win. And since the mages of Barrow aren't very good at magic, that's why their team doesn't do well."

"The only thing Barrow is not good at is having money." ginge said defensively. "But they are very not good at it, and that's the problem."

"That's it! We'll fix their economy! What's the local economy of Barrow based on?" Pungry asked.

"Building nuclear submarines." ginge said. "End of the Cold War was a real hit to Barrow."

"Okay, we just need to create a situation where the need for nuclear submarines increases drastically and then-" Pungry stopped. "Wait, no, hold on, even I think that's probably not going to end well for humanity."

"You don't say." ginge said.

"No, lunch it is! AWAY!" Pungry said, dashing out of ginge's store.

Where will Pungry go for lunch?

A. Burritos!

B. Hot dogs!

C. Asian-Fusion!

D. Smasher Dynamo, do you take me for a fool? Do you think I do not understand the game we are playing? You know drat well what the answer is. You know drat well what the answer has always been! Pungry will get gyros!

MU

D. Turn the radio on his nightstand to 86.7 KKIX: The Thunder > Buy a new radio! A better radio! > Attempt to listen to the HulkaChannel! > McFreeze has been dead for five year! > WAIT! There is a logical inconsistency here! > Buy a glove to cover his metal hand! > ALL OF THE COLORS!

"I need a tecnicolor dream glove!" Pungry said. "A glove with all the colors to blind my opponents into submission!"

"Wouldn't that just be a black glove? Because if you mix all of the colors, it ends up being black." Harlock asked.

"I was thinking of more like a rainbow effect." Pungry said. "Each thread should have a different color!"

"Okay, that's not going to work, just because it's going to take a lot of threads to make a glove. Spider silk isn't very thick, so you need a high thread count to make it work." Harlock said. "Still, it's doable, at least to a degree. But it'll take some time."

How will Pungry kill time!

A. Play video games!

B. Scrimshaw!

C. Induce a coma!

D. Pungry will kill time the old-fashioned-way...with a gun!

XI

C. Turn the radio on his nightstand to 86.7 KKIX: The Thunder > Infiltrate the Indie Folk-Rock Scene to destroy from within > The fiddle > Ask more about hell > FULL COMMUNISM NOW! > Okay, so mistakes were made... > Convince Smasher Dynamo to get therapy! (Note requires 50 votes)

gently caress it. I feel so confident that you nerds will never get 50 votes that I'm going to keep this option open for the rest of the season!

#JUSTICE4YOSHIDA

Randy Johnson did it! For very limited values of 'did it'.

I don't think Johnny Pesky is the answer.

Wow. Yeah.

Team Statistics

Standings

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
alpha, et al:

C. burrows are important.

delta:
D. i wouldn't trust that craigk fellow. i hear he plays a moba

C. the canucks and their fans deserve happiness for once.

theta:
C.

iota:
D.

everybody's against him

lambda:
D.
always gyros.

mu:

A.
i've heard good things about this "riddle joker" game

xi: +1 to the get therapy option

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

yeah that didn't loving work the MACHINE in for pesky in all lineups, same position

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Alpha et. al

B. Network! It's important for small firms to network! Mostly because I picture the foxes networking by digging holes and it's very cute to me.

Delta

I trust my friend craigk. A. The mysterious singing stranger is right! Remove my pancreas!

Yaya

I'm only the symptom. You must B. Go back in time to pre-emptively destroy capitalism!

Theta

Ideally, I'd get the Blue Jackets cannon to fire the orb, but instead I'll C. Spike the orb on the ground dramatically!

Iota

Considering his actions in the far future, it must be A. It was Yaya! He doesn't want frankenfreak to win so much as CattMarp to lose!

Lambda

I do not like that this version of me has read and enjoyed Harry Potter. Still, the only answer is D. Smasher Dynamo, do you take me for a fool? Do you think I do not understand the game we are playing? You know drat well what the answer is. You know drat well what the answer has always been! Pungry will get gyros!

Mu

Time to play more Ace Attorney. A. Play video games!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Send Greg Holland to the Minors and bring up Tom Henke in Short Relief
Bench Sheffield and put Yaz at LF in all lineups
Bench Cano and put Collins at 2B in all lineups

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Chance is hurt... So DL Frank Chance, Put Mauer in vs LHP in his spot... and call up King Kelly to sit on the bench...

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

If you promise you'll actually loving get therapy I will get a banner ad and make this loving happen.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

FairGame posted:

If you promise you'll actually loving get therapy I will get a banner ad and make this loving happen.

That is not how this works. You cannot go outside people who actually read this thread.

Jampact
Jun 3, 2008
Smasher should get Therapy, yes

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

quote:

C. Turn the radio on his nightstand to 86.7 KKIX: The Thunder > Infiltrate the Indie Folk-Rock Scene to destroy from within > The fiddle > Ask more about hell > FULL COMMUNISM NOW! > Okay, so mistakes were made... > Convince Smasher Dynamo to get therapy! (Note requires 50 votes)

yes, this

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
B. NETWORKING!!!

D. No man who plays that much DOTA can be trusted.

A. Time travel is a very delicate thing. As nice as it would be to destroy capitalism and also the Boston Bruins, I risk destroying everything in the process of doing such. Time is also of the essence. As nice as a Venti mocha (2 pumps peppermint syrup) from Starbucks would be right now, those waits can be brutal! The Canucks could be destroyed in that time! The only solution remaining is that Pungry must be eliminated.

B. DO NOT GIVE THE ORB TO PANDER

D. I am of no wrongdoing, but Pungry is convinced everybody is against him. It's a conspiracy!!!

C. YOU KNOW WHAT THE gently caress IT IS WE'RE GETTING SOME GOD drat GYROS

A. I have zero faith in Pungry to not kill himself while playing with a gun, so video games it is.

I already voted for you to get therapy

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

therapy

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
I want to point out that habeasdorkus-Nu, merit of his argument and eventual decision of the Court nonwithstanding, is bad at reading. He claims that "frankenfreak then, in an act that borders on sanctionable, claims that habeasdorkus signed the complaint as 'habeasdorkus-prime', a fact that is simply not true" - a fact that is simply not true. My Motion clearly states that: "2. The Plaintiff's Counsel is not further identified beyond his name, habeasdorkus." Any possibility that it could have been habeasdorkus-Prime was treated as such in my Motion.

Anyway, the foxes should network, Pungry-Delta should not trust craigk, Yaya should get some coffee before heading out, Pngri should ABSOLUTELY UNDER NO IMAGINABLE CIRCUMSTANCE give the orb to Pander CIV or any and all past, present, and future versions and iterations of him, Pungry-Iota should investigate who nuked CattMarp's players, Pungry-Lambda should get a gyro, Pungry-Mu should play some video games, and Smasher, in all honesty and despite my earlier quip that trying to convince him to do it, should get therapy.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Subpar Season XIX, Week 9, Reinforcements from the Staircase
Games of the Week

quote:

GARREG MACH WINS TENTH STRAIGHT, SWEEP CHANCERS IN SEARCH OF SAINT RHEAL ON THE SEVENTH SEA

For much of the season, the Golden Deer were the hunted. After today’s effortless 7-2 win over the Seventh Sea Chancers, the Deer are now the hunters, winning ten straight and just a game back of the similarly-hot Milan Mosquitoes in the Snares Division. But the game seemed to be far away from shepard.shouldgo’s mind as he captained his team’s ship across the Seventh Sea the Chancers’ stadium was in the middle of.

“Men! We must find Saint Rheal!” he bellowed. “We’ve looked all over Fodlan for the saint ever since the dastardly Reapers took him away from our beloved Garreg Mach! And, if Fire Emblem has taught me anything, you’re on the right track when you have a boat level. Ahoy! I spy a vessel over there! Mayhaps they can direct me towards Saint Rheal Cormier.” Shepard pulled his spaceship/naval ship up to a dingy looking barge with just one passenger on it, who seemed absorbed in his dice. “Sir!” said shepard, “Do you know of Saint Rheal’s whereabouts from the great church of Fodlan?”

“I don’t know who that is,” said the mysterious gambling man before rolling another die. “Bah… a natural one. Why must the heavens curse me?” “Sir, please, it’s important. The faith of Fodlan is at stake. If you have any idea of the whereabouts of Saint Rheal… he’s 5’10”, 200 lbs, French-Canadian… pitched for the Expos—“ shepard was cut off by the man. “I don’t believe in God, only the dice. Now, please, let me go back to my game,” said the man. “But, sir, I must point out that you’re just rolling a die by yourself. There’s no one else playing your game,” said shepard. “Sometimes, playing against yourself’s the only way you can win,” said the man. “Who are you?” said shepard.

“Name’s Ablative. Now, I may or may not have information about this ‘Ree-yal’ feller, but I’m mighty annoyed at you guys coming onto my ship and harassing me while I’m trying to enjoy myself. So, I propose that you play the game with me or I call in my men from the staircase,” said Ablative. “Oh no! Not hidden reinforcements from the stairs! I don’t want to reset the level! Fine. But if we win the game, you have to tell us all you know about Saint Rheal,” said shepard. “Deal. Game’s dead simple. We each roll this hundred-sided die once. Whoever gets the higher number, wins,” said Ablative. “…how long have you been ‘playing’ this by yourself?” asked shepard. “I only promised potential information about your Saint,” said Ablative. “Now roll the drat die.”

Shepard took the die and prayed to Saint Rheal and the gods and goddesses of Fodlan. He threw the die, and it landed on a 56. “Heh, better than average, kid. But I’m the luckiest man alive,” said Ablative. He picked up the die, kissed it, and then threw it. The die showed a 1. “That’s some bullshit. Alright, I heard that Saint Rheal had been captured by them Buntsville Bastards. Now, it’s gonna be trouble trying to find Buntsville on any regular map of Fodlan. You’ll have to find someone else who knows that place. I’d only ever heard of Huntsville, Alabama, but the mastermind behind Saint Rheal’s kidnapping wouldn’t be that stupid,” said Ablative. “The Bastards are owned by someone who has voted twice to end the league his very team is in. They might be that stupid. Thank you, Ablative. May the goddess watch over you. I should go,” said shepard, before leaving. As his ship left, a wave of fog enveloped the sea. When it disappeared, so too had the mysterious Ablative’s ship.

Game notes: Rickey at 3B only made one of those two errors, thank you very much. He, uh, probably shouldn’t be at third anymore, as funny as it is. Sorry for that.

Don’t ask me to make Mass Effect jokes.

quote:

MILAN SWEEPS BOKONONISTS, STAY ONE GAME UP ON GOLDEN DEER

Hack Wilson drove in the only run in a 1-0 victory over the San Lorenzo Bokononists in the second game of a three game sweep for the Milan Mosquitoes. This marked the team’s fifth straight win, but only a one game lead over the surging Garreg Mach Golden Deer. “Gah… the Golden Deer are getting too close,” said GVOLTT, owner of the Mosquitoes, closed up in his owner’s room. “Soon they may realize that there is a traitor in their midst. Flame Emperor!” “Yes, my lord,” as a masked Pedro Martinez appeared in front of GVOLTT. “Flame Emperor, you are to pitch tomorrow’s game against these foolish Bokononists, then… ‘convince’ the parallel dimension Pedro on the Deer to take a leave of absence,” said GVOLTT. “But, my lord, their Pedro has been horrible! An 8.51 ERA as their staff ace! They will only get stronger in their pursuit of Saint Rheal if we did this!” said the Flame Emperor.

“Exactly why we should do it. Flame Emperor, what is most attractive to a man?” said GVOLTT. “I have the answer to that question in this book!” said a cheery voice. “Who the gently caress was that?” said GVOLTT. “It is I, Monicro! I know everything about philosophy because I read everything by Kurt Vonnegut!” said Monicro. “Flame Emperor, how the goddess did this foolish child get into the owner’s room? We’re at the top of Il Duomo!” said GVOLTT. “I’m not a kid! I graduated college! I’m a working adult like everyone else in the Super League! The Monicro is a child jokes have been outdated for at least five years!” said Monicro. “This lost child is sassy. But we’re getting quite off-topic. I was posing a rhetorical question to the Flame Emperor when you so rudely interrupted,” said GVOLTT.

“And I know the answer! According to Kurt Vonnegut, the most attractive thing to a man is WAR, the baseball statistic!” said Monicro. “Kurt Vonnegut wrote absurdist anti-war satire, didn’t he? I find it hard to believe he would be talking about the baseball stat rather than, you know, actual war,” countered GVOLTT. “Not true! There’s an entire gallery on Teepublic of Kurt Vonnegut’s famous baseball quotes!” said Monicro. “Flame Emperor, give me my smartphone,” said GVOLTT. “Hmm… this appears to just be a type of shirt called a ‘baseball-tee’ with Kurt Vonnegut quotes on it that are completely unrelated to baseball. Again, I think you have somehow missed the point, Monicro,” said GVOLTT.

“No! Just look at this shirt with a quote from Vonnegut that perfectly summarizes baseball: ‘we have to continually be jumping off cliffs and developing our wings on the way down’,” said Monicro. “Is that why your team has lost five in a row?” asked GVOLTT. “That’s mean. All I’m saying is the correct truth that all of Kurt Vonnegut’s novels are about WAR in baseball,” said Monicro. “I have no time for this. Flame Emperor, please toss this child out of the tower,” said GVOLTT. “I’m not a child!” Monicro yelled as they were fell down the tower. “Go develop some wings,” said GVOLTT.

Game Notes: Fifteen hits, one run. Now that’s exciting baseball.

quote:

STEAMROLLERS FAIL TO PROPERLY BABY-SIT MARMOSET, LOSE 4-2

The South Dakota Marmosets won the rubber match in a three game series versus the Saudi Steamrollers by the score of 4-2. After going down 2-0 in the top of the third, the potent Marmosets offense came alive, and scored two in the bottom of the third. Pete Alexander held down the Steamrollers’ offense the rest of the way before the Marmosets broke the 2-2 tie in the bottom of the 8th when Mickey Cochrane hit an RBI groundout. Mariners’ legend Adrian Beltre smacked an RBI single to add an insurance run that wasn’t necessary, and the Marmosets ended the week two games above the struggling London Calling and three games above the shattered Glass Spiders.

“I owe it all to my newly-adopted marmoset!” Zodiac5000 lifted up the newborn marmoset adopted from the only South Dakota zoo to the press. “Because of the heavy Mariners presence on the Marmosets, I will name him Jose Marmosetlejos. You’re such a good marmoset aren’t you, Jose?” Jose Marmosetlejos then grabbed onto Zodiac’s face and tried to rip it off. “Dawwww, you’re just showing your daddy love. Just like when Chelsea Baker tried to rip my face off,” said Zodiac. “Didn’t she succeed,” said a concerned Kelsie Whitmore. “Only a little! Don’t my skin grafts look great?” said Zodiac. The press refuses to describe what the face of Zodiac looked like post-skin grafts out of fear it would make everyone go insane.

“I’m frustrated,” said Beet. “We’re preventing runs just fine, but can’t score any ourselves. This is despite playing with fifteen hitters and just ten pitchers. And even though we just got Speaker back, we lost Gehringer for the year. I could really use a robot that plays perfect defense, hits home runs, and draws walks right now. Or at least anyone better than Vern loving Stephens.” “Hey! Not cool man!” said Vern Stephens from the clubhouse. “Shut up. A .957 fielding percentage and a .265 OBP are both terrible,” said Beet. “But I have six home runs!” countered Stephens. “And my best backup is… Stan Hack. I’m going to go drink,” Beet said.

Game Notes: You’d never see dueling complete games in today’s MLB! These guys are wimps!

There were at least two instances of a Mickey Cochrane allowing a passed ball while the other Mickey Cochrane was nearby. Coincidence? Clone madness? You make the call.

Eric Clapton: Propane

That Babe Ruth fella is alright.

Back in the hunt.

Chris Sale for rotation when?

As soon as your Pedro gets hurt, you go on this tear. Coincidence?

That’s what you get for lineup changes.

2 games over .500 probably wins this division, so good work.

JP Howell running on Herman Cain’s 9.99 plan.

This is the opposite of rocking! This is Dave Matthews Band level of suck!

5-1 week and you still managed to give up ground. Good luck!

Eddie Cicotte is BACK

The sweep of the Bombers is nearly as crazy as last week’s Chancers’ sweep of the Stick Club. Maybe it is crazier? This is my CYOA. Discuss in the comments in the below.

Straight from an 8 game win streak comes a 5 game losing streak. I would’ve continued my win streak for 13 games, but you do you.

Poor injury luck this season.

Andrew Miller? More like Andrew Scrivener!!!!

Every week, this team makes me think they’ve turned the corner, and then this happens!

All offense, all the time.

The Toronto Blue Jays of the Sub-Par.

Now this team’s definitely turned the corner this time.

Outhitting the pitching for now.

Standings

TheoSqua
Mar 23, 2020

Jampact posted:

Smasher should get Therapy, yes

I for one am an advocate for therapy. ++

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Well, at least my team is theoretically mediocre according to our pythag record. Deadford gets a pretty good pick in the second round!

Always) Send Luke Appling to the IL, call up Robinson Cano from the minors.
Be) Reestablish the Cano/Sandberg LHP/RHP 2B platoon, set Tony Phillips as starting SS.
Causing the Commish Consternation) Send down David Wright, call up Jose Reyes to the bench. Boggs as full time 3B again.

:siren:CYOA:siren:

D. Also, I would like to seek out my own legal representation separate from that of the other owners based upon our hiring of three fennec foxes. Especially since I may have crossclaims to bring against my fellow defendants.

DELTA
C. I thought Smasher was riffing off the Crazy Ex Girlfriend version given the legal industry connection. But Pungry needs a MONORAIL to put the Pacific Northwest on the map!

ZETA
C. Go ahead and have the Bruins lose. It'll just make them hungrier in 2013 and maybe they won't allow two goals in 17 seconds come game 6. Plus, Tim Thomas would lose his chance to grandstand about not going to the White House.

THETA
D. Lament for the world, which has had such horrors perpetrated upon it.

IOTA
A. I'm pretty sure it's because of the tag team thing. I'm remembering that there was a betrayal, right?

LAMBDA
D. Pungry has mentioned gyros all of like twice, right? And so this has become a character trait for half a decade? Regardless, they're delicious, and can be friendship inducing!

MU
A. The least obviously deadly option.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 24, 2021

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

What will the foxes do?

A. Find and eat small prey! - They are foxes! Not lawyers!

DELTA

B. Wait, did Smasher really reference the Music Man? In 2021? - it's crazy the references that are made in this thread.

What will Yaya do next?

C. Wait, go back in time and have the Canucks actually win the cup in 2011! That's probably easier! - Maybe the future would change in a positive direction?

THETA

B. Do not give the orb of multiversal obliteration to Pander CIV! - It's too dangerous!

IOTA

D. All of the above! It's a conspiracy! - These conspiracies all make sense, unlike in real life.

LAMBDA

D. Smasher Dynamo, do you take me for a fool? Do you think I do not understand the game we are playing? You know drat well what the answer is. You know drat well what the answer has always been! Pungry will get gyros! - Get those gyros

MU

D. Pungry will kill time the old-fashioned-way...with a gun! - Time deserves it. Going too fast and everything. Slow down!

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

-Designate Joe Mauer as Cicotte and McGinnity's personal catchers

cyoa coming soon if its not too late

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
C. Dig a burrow!
B. Hot dogs!
C. Induce a coma!
I'm still pro therapy!

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Foxes: C

Delta: D

Yaya: A

Theta: D

Iota: D

Lamda: D

Mu: D

Therapy!

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
Draft begins!

Chancers select 1923 Babe Ruth, as expected.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
CYOA:

Alpha+

B. Network! Unfolding events will unfold so fennec foxes should make new friends.

Delta

D. I'm sure craigK is a fine fellow in real life but Pungry needs pancreas.

Yaya

C. Destroy capitalism!

Theta

C. Spike that orb like you're a journeyman fullback who got his number called in garbage time.

Iota

C. You can't trust sub-par owners.

Lambda

B. And by hot dogs, what I really mean is go to the Greggs on Dalton Road and get some sausage rolls

Mu

A.

Xi

Get therapy, or at the least find someone to talk to about things.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Foxes: C

Delta: D

Yaya: A

Theta: D

Iota: D

Lamda: D

Mu: D

Yes therapy!

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

Hey! It's a perfomance motivated line-up change.

Replace Howell with Aroldis

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

B. Network! It's important for small firms to network!

C. Wait, go back in time and have the Canucks actually win the cup in 2011! That's probably easier!

D. Smasher Dynamo, do you take me for a fool? Do you think I do not understand the game we are playing? You know drat well what the answer is. You know drat well what the answer has always been! Pungry will get gyros!

D. Pungry will kill time the old-fashioned-way...with a gun!

Therapy is good! Go for it.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

C
A
D
B
D
D
D

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Super-League XXXI, Week 10 Injury Report

Baseball Club
Al Simmons (LF) (Don't worry, I read it twice it make sure I got it correctly) - 70 days

Burns Zephyrs
Ed Walsh (SP) (REVENGE!) - 17 days

Diamond Joes
Joe Bush (SP) (Joe, not diamond) - 16 days

Khartoum Doom
Martin Dihigo (SP) (Not what they needed) - 22 days

Mexico City Machine Elves
Jim Devlin (SP) (BLOOD!) - 26 days

Rochester Generics
Eddie Plank (SP) (Another dead SP!) - 144 days

The Hague Honkbalers
Frank Robinson (OF) (CRUNCH!) - 12 days

Pick 'em: Death March

Omni-Titles
Minnesota Gov't Dogs (c) @ Walney Rakers

Grand Slam Championships
Raleigh Red Pandas (c) @ World Warriors

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

champs do the retaining

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Champs lose!

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

TheFlyingLlama posted:

champs do the retaining

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Champs retain

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Champs retain!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Super-League XXXI, Week 10 Injury Report
Burns Zephyrs
Ed Walsh (SP) (REVENGE!) - 17 days

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Rakers take, Pandas retain.

CFBalla
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, I just made that shot. :smug:
Champs retain. Letting BBM take the reigns until it shows me I shouldn't.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Chaaaaaaamps retain

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Pick 'em: Death March

Omni-Titles
Minnesota Gov't Dogs (c) @ Walney Rakers

Grand Slam Championships
Raleigh Red Pandas (c) @ World Warriors

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Pick em: Rakers win, Pandas retain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

What will the foxes do?
B. Network!

What will Pungry do?

What will Yaya do next?

What will Pngri do?
A. Give the orb to Pander CIV. Surely he can be trusted!

What will Pungry infer?

Where will Pungry go for lunch?

How will Pungry kill time!
A. Play video games!

C > Convince Smasher Dynamo to get therapy! (Note requires 50 votes)