Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Organic Lube User posted:

Here's the battery and a little more of the negative cable. That's probably all I can actually get a pic of without removing other things. https://imgur.com/a/3PmO6O9

Another symptom that I just noticed, when I went back out to my van after trying to start it just a little while ago, I heard a clicking sound coming from the rear passenger side. Not the same as when I was starting it, but weaker or fainter. I didn't notice it earlier after turning off the car (as much as one can turn off cars with pushbutton starters). I opened the door and hit the hazard lights button (it was a similar sound to the blinker) and toggled it on and back off and the sound stopped.

I doubt this is the extent of it, but did you clean those clamps before you put them on the new battery posts? It looks like things were getting quite crusty with the old battery.

Also, if you grab each of those clamps and try to move them/twist them do they move at all? If they do you don't have a good connection. They may not be tight enough, you may not have gotten them all the way on the post, or it could be some of both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

You could try making a good ground with a jumper cable, hook the black cable up to the battery negative and find a good fat sturdy bolt on the engine to hook it into, then test again. (Leave the red jumper cable unconnected on both ends) If the car works you have a bad ground cable.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

spankmeister posted:

You could try making a good ground with a jumper cable, hook the black cable up to the battery negative and find a good fat sturdy bolt on the engine to hook it into, then test again. (Leave the red jumper cable unconnected on both ends) If the car works you have a bad ground cable.

This did it! Started right up. Thanks so much to you and Motronic.

Can I just make my own grounding cable as a semi permanent solution? Seems like tracing/replacing the cable would be a real pain in the taint.

Also, do I need to do anything about the overfilled oil, or just let the leak take care of it?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

This did it! Started right up. Thanks so much to you and Motronic.

Can I just make my own grounding cable as a semi permanent solution? Seems like tracing/replacing the cable would be a real pain in the taint.

Also, do I need to do anything about the overfilled oil, or just let the leak take care of it?

Awesome. So here's the thing....answer my question about the battery terminals/posts.......it may be as simple as cleaning the negative side clamp and properly attaching it.

But it may not......it could have a bad connection on the other side, or the cable could be rotten and need replacing. There's likely not a great way to make something temporary, and you'd need parts to do it so either way you probalby need parts.......unless it's just a connection issue on one side or the other.

On the oil.....how overfilled is it? Let's see the dip stick. Overfilled oil can get whipped up into a foam by the crank and basically as bad as no oil at all. This will 100% kill your motor beyond reasonable financial repair. So treat it seriously.

Edit: give us a shot of the engine bay, at least the half on the battery side. Maybe we can ID a good attachment point for something temporary and you can take a run to the parts store for a short piece of pre-terminated cable that will work.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 22, 2021

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Motronic posted:

Awesome. So here's the thing....answer my question about the battery terminals/posts.......it may be as simple as cleaning the negative side clamp and properly attaching it.

But it may not......it could have a bad connection on the other side, or the cable could be rotten and need replacing. There's likely not a great way to make something temporary, and you'd need parts to do it so either way you probalby need parts.......unless it's just a connection issue on one side or the other.

On the oil.....how overfilled is it? Let's see the dip stick. Overfilled oil can get whipped up into a foam by the crank and basically as bad as no oil at all. This will 100% kill your motor beyond reasonable financial repair. So treat it seriously.

Edit: give us a shot of the engine bay, at least the half on the battery side. Maybe we can ID a good attachment point for something temporary and you can take a run to the parts store for a short piece of pre-terminated cable that will work.

The terminals don't budge, and I cleaned quite a bit of crap off when I took the old battery out. I'll try to get another pic of that and the dipstick in a bit if there's still light when I have my chance.

Is it easy to drain off excess? Just put it up on some jack stands and drain the oil pan, then refill to a measured and verified amount? Could it be okay enough to make it to an oil change shop and just have them get it right?

Regarding the grounding cable, my main worry is that I'll have to remove lots of other things just to get to the other end of it, which I'm sure I don't have the tools for.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The terminals don't budge, and I cleaned quite a bit of crap off when I took the old battery out. I'll try to get another pic of that and the dipstick in a bit if there's still light when I have my chance.

Okay, good. But not good, because it's probably the cable or the connection(s) (looks like there are two) at the other end.

Is it easy to drain off excess? Just put it up on some jack stands and drain the oil pan, then refill to a measured and verified amount? Could it be okay enough to make it to an oil change shop and just have them get it right?

Can you drive it safely? That depends on how overfilled it is.

If you're ready to get dirty you can just take the drain out for a bit and put it back in and see where you're at. Or drain the whole thing into a clean pan and re-use the oil. Without something like a vac pump this is gonna suck no matter what, but you need to take it seriously if it's badly overfilled.

Regarding the grounding cable, my main worry is that I'll have to remove lots of other things just to get to the other end of it, which I'm sure I don't have the tools for.

I hear you. But if we come up with something temporary that works please please please treat it as temporary.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I have a mobile tire service appointment for tomorrow. They couldn't get the wheels off last time they came because they were too rusted to the hub. I got the wheels off today and I just put the wheels back on without tightening the bolts too much, it should be easy enough to get them off again tomorrow right?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Popete posted:

I have a mobile tire service appointment for tomorrow. They couldn't get the wheels off last time they came because they were too rusted to the hub. I got the wheels off today and I just put the wheels back on without tightening the bolts too much, it should be easy enough to get them off again tomorrow right?

You need to torque them properly if you intend to drive it. They will not be stuck again.

You should also put some anti seize on the mating surfaces between the wheel and hub/rotor/drum (not the studs/bolts) to prevent this from happening again.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

What the hell is this ugga dugga stuff I keep reading about trying to find proper wheel lug torque? I find even Eric O @ South Main Auto will bring up the ugga duggas.

I had a brake job a while back and realized I never got the lugs re-torqued. And who knows if they did it to the proper ft lbs in the first place. I noticed a little more minor steering wheel vibration at 60+ MPH than I'm used to but it could be in my mind.

Gonna buy a torque wrench or be lazy and ask if a shop around here could help me out. I'm sure they won't be thrilled since I didn't do the brake work with them.

Apparently for my car it's gonna be 90 ft lbs.

e: I had a dealer do the brake job which sucks for this reason: if I think there is a problem that could be related to their work, I still have to pay $230 for a diagnostic, and they would refund it only if they found for sure that it was from their work. Real lovely.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 23, 2021

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Get a torque wrench. Even Harbor Freight ones are perfectly fine for lug nut purposes.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

You need to torque them properly if you intend to drive it. They will not be stuck again.

You should also put some anti seize on the mating surfaces between the wheel and hub/rotor/drum (not the studs/bolts) to prevent this from happening again.

Cool thanks. Yeah I have a torque wrench and will do that tomorrow after the tires are installed I won't be driving it with loose lugs. Gotta pick up some anti seize though.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Inner Light posted:

What the hell is this ugga dugga stuff I keep reading about trying to find proper wheel lug torque? I find even Eric O @ South Main Auto will bring up the ugga duggas.
Ugga duggas are supposed to be an onomatopoeia of the sound of an impact wrench, it's a joking measurement of just blasting something with an impact rather than torquing it properly.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Inner Light posted:

What the hell is this ugga dugga stuff

A finely calibrated unit of torque identified by ear when using a precision impact wrench.

It's a silly running joke about not actually giving a gently caress about torque specs

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
My shop teacher would frequently provide us torque specs in the form of "snug snug"s, ouga douga is the same thing but with impact tools.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

One ugga dugga is one squeeze of the impact's trigger

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
It's about equivalent to a gutentight

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
2016 Honda Odyssey problems

Car 'clicks' on and off rapidly while engine isn't running. On and off by the dash lights/instruments are flickering on and off like crazy but doesn't do this when the engine is running.

When off and locked the clicking still happens and occasionally the alarm will randomly go off after minutes or hours of sitting so I've resorted to disconnecting the battery while parked at home.

I popped the hood to look around and I saw tree fruit in random places in the engine compartment so some animal has decided to make this car a home. We have been working from home so our cars don't get driven nearly as much as before while the local animals and fruit are not a new thing but maybe the longer duration of parking has given the animals an incentive they didn't have before? At this point I'm thinking some animal has chewed up the wiring but I have to leave town the next day so no time to check further.

Let it sit for a week disconnected while I was out of town and the issue of the rapid on/off clicking seems to have gone away. However the random alarm seems to still be present.

Called insurance and they said its covered if its animal damage. Took it to a Honda dealer who says its not wiring damage but a bad alternator. Ok....Something about an aftermarket alarm that was installed by the dealer when I bought this minivan new is what's going off. Something about Hondas not having a factory alarm (that makes noises) so dealers have to install an aftermarket one (to make the alarm noises). Can someone confirm this?

Anyway the dealer wants $520 for a (new?) alternator and $600 for labor (3hr) which is lol.

What should I do? My local shop only wants $160 for the labor but they don't have the part. I've read that I should get my (failed) factory alternator repaired because that's gonna be better than a rando rebuilt alternator?

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 23, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It's unlikely these issues are related. I'm confused as to how the dealer came up with needing an alternator.

But yes, get rid of the failing/jankily installed aftermarket alarm first. Then someone can diagnose the rest.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Ok so I'm still confused what this aftermarket alarm does the factory ones doesn't? Is this just a stupid dealer upsell I don't even remember being offered it. It must have been installed before we even bought the car?

e: called the dealer sales and verified its a thing they do to all their cars so it wasn't an option. Something about the factory anti theft system disables the car but doesn't alarm so this aftermarket thing does the alarm part. Not sure how accurate that is

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 23, 2021

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

Ok so I'm still confused what this aftermarket alarm does the factory ones doesn't? Is this just a stupid dealer upsell I don't even remember being offered it. It must have been installed before we even bought the car?

e: called the dealer sales and verified its a thing they do to all their cars so it wasn't an option. Something about the factory anti theft system disables the car but doesn't alarm so this aftermarket thing does the alarm part. Not sure how accurate that is

It's a stupid dealer upsell and they're lying. We have a 2013 Odyssey with a perfectly functional factory alarm that blows the horn and flashes the lights when activated.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Wow yeah whoever told you that is blatantly incompetent and speaking in confidence about something they're not familiar with, or lying through their teeth.

I thought dealer upsells were a meme and weren't that insane, but it's not over-exaggerated and some of that stuff should just be plain illegal.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Found this. Sounds about what I have.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/08/never-buy-car-alarm-dealership/

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Oh it gets even worse than that. Buy here pay here places install similar units with cell service and a GPS so they can locate the car and prevent it from being started.

You want all of that poo poo out of there pronto.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

DesperateDan posted:

what's a gutentight? is that like a metric gorilla?

e.g. "crank it down to about four gorillas"

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

4 gorillas is "FT"

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Anybody have strong opinions on good quality battery terminals (with a stud, not crimp)?
I like the newer wedge style with the vertical bolt, but it's weirdly hard to find them.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Motronic posted:

4 gorillas is "FT"

Five gorillas shears the stud...so, watch out.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

DesperateDan posted:

This is how my friend taught me. The German method.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Sagebrush posted:

what's a gutentight? is that like a metric gorilla?

e.g. "crank it down to about four gorillas"

IMO gutentight is for things where you're using finger/wrist operated tools where gorillas are for lever-style tools you can really crank on.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

I'm planning on replacing my warm weather tires for my 2016 MB C350e when I rotate on my winter set in a few months time - the car is currently wearing Continental run-flat all-seasons and they're fine... but I have two questions:

1). I'm thinking of getting a temporary spare/donut & tools to keep in the trunk (so I can skip the run-flats and just use regular tires). I found this kit and it seems to fit the bill but man, it's gonna be like $500 once taxes & shipping are factored in. Anyone got any better options for this (like maybe getting a 17" steelie & generic all-season that fits or something like that).

I tried looking for a used kit via car-part.com but of course, everybody else's W205 C-Class is on run-flats too...

2). I have a dedicated set of winter tires - so I feel like I should look for summers rather than like, a high performance all-season... though I live in Wisconsin, so there are good chunks of the year (late fall/early Spring) where the temperature is nice enough during the days but still loving cold overnight, and I don't want to be driving something too sketchy. Thoughts?

sarcastx fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 24, 2021

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I've been running all seasons in IL because of the temperature drops. I haven't tried summer only tires, so I don't know how bad they'd actually be on a 20°F morning.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

2007 GTI, 6spd manual with factory LSD.

Lately (for about a week or two) when driving at highway speeds I've noticed an intermittent and irregular gentle knocking sorta sound from I think somewhere in the front of the car. It sounds almost exactly like driving over a repaired crack in the road or similar small irregularity. It's not associated with engine speed or gear selection. It doesn't change appreciably when making long sweeping left or right hand corners. I don't 'feel' anything in the steering wheel or in the frame of the car when these sounds occur. It's driving completely normally and no CEL is on. It happens under braking as well as during acceleration or just cruising. It almost sounds like something is embedded in a tire, but it's not occurring with that kind of regularity or frequency. Imagine something like a screw being in the tire every 10th-15th rotation of the wheel but not otherwise.

I'm unable to reproduce any kind of noise when moving the body of the car up and down by grabbing the wheel arch, and I don't hear anything like I'd expect with a sway bar linkage when I go over a speed bump either both wheels at the same time or one wheel at a time. I don't have an easy way of getting the front wheels off the ground to push/pull on them to see if I feel any play which I recognize would be a good next step to see if a wheel bearing might be on it's way out.

Any ideas? I'm going to take a look at the front axles when I can get there with a flashlight (in the middle of a work set at the moment) to see if maybe a CV joint is out, but I think that would make the noise worse on acceleration if that was the issue.

My other thoughts were a front wheel bearing or front strut mount/bearing. I've never had any issues with that kind of thing in any vehicle I've owned so I don't know what it 'should' sound like but I thought with a wheel bearing it would be louder when loaded in one direction or the other as when on a long left/right corner on the highway. At a standstill, turning the wheel from one direction all the way to the other doesn't produce any knocking or clicking sounds.

Thanks goons.

Just wanted to follow this up for anyone curious. Parked the car today with the wheel to one side and yeah it's a CV joint.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

VelociBacon posted:

Just wanted to follow this up for anyone curious. Parked the car today with the wheel to one side and yeah it's a CV joint.

Classic! Had the same looking damage with my car but it wasn't making symptoms, I was having it looked at for other stuff and there was a bunch of CV grease everywhere. Sorry man.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
What exactly is the scam behind all the 'we've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty' calls? If one were gullible and stupid, how would these people make money off you? What is it they're actually selling?

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Imagined posted:

What is it they're actually selling?

Literally extended warranties and/or service plans.
The lovely recording is just the worm, if you nibble then your call forwards to a call center where they try to hook you.

I have a friend who paid $4,000 for an extended warranty for a 2011 CAMRY (in 2014).
I told him if he didn't find a way to cancel that I'd never speak to him again.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Extended warranties.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

I should also mention that they're not necessarily a "scam" like a Nigerian Prince email (at least - not any more than any other 3rd-party extended warranty is) - the reason they're so reviled is the breaking of telemarketing laws.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Anyone recognize this brand of wheels (if its even a real brand)?

e: Nm I just saw the sticker on the window

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 24, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

sarcastx posted:

I'm planning on replacing my warm weather tires for my 2016 MB C350e when I rotate on my winter set in a few months time - the car is currently wearing Continental run-flat all-seasons and they're fine... but I have two questions:

1). I'm thinking of getting a temporary spare/donut & tools to keep in the trunk (so I can skip the run-flats and just use regular tires). I found this kit and it seems to fit the bill but man, it's gonna be like $500 once taxes & shipping are factored in. Anyone got any better options for this (like maybe getting a 17" steelie & generic all-season that fits or something like that).

I tried looking for a used kit via car-part.com but of course, everybody else's W205 C-Class is on run-flats too...

2). I have a dedicated set of winter tires - so I feel like I should look for summers rather than like, a high performance all-season... though I live in Wisconsin, so there are good chunks of the year (late fall/early Spring) where the temperature is nice enough during the days but still loving cold overnight, and I don't want to be driving something too sketchy. Thoughts?

You don't need a donut if you get AAA. (Assuming that service is OK).

Summers should be just fine in conjunction with winters in Wisconsin. You might have a day or two but if you just don't push it you'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

sarcastx posted:

(like maybe getting a 17" steelie & generic all-season that fits or something like that).

This is what I've been doing instead of dealing with donut spares for a decade now. Difference between a 50 mile limp to get a new tire, and having plenty of time to replace the flat because you still have four non bullshit tires

E: AAA has sucked for flats in my experience; all they do is send a tow truck driver to install your spare with your jack and tools. The one time I bothered, the truck didn't even have a compressor to air the tire up. A decent jack + a drill and socket to do most of the lug nut work is a better $ investment than AAA *for flats specifically* but the free tows are amazing too

Javid fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 24, 2021