Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

w00tmonger posted:

Honestly I really dig Wolfenstein/weird ww2 and like gun hands Hitler.

This is 1000% less gross than a dudes lovingly built Nazi army he writes fanfiction about, or hell even people getting way into the fascist angles of 40k

To be clear I wasn't pointing it out as a direct comparison. I still fully expect to see them badly painted by actual fuckwads in the future though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
the eternal miniatures dilemma: you can't shoot nazis without someone sincerely wanting to be the nazis

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Nebalebadingdong posted:

the eternal miniatures dilemma: you can't shoot nazis without someone sincerely wanting to be the nazis

Oh ho ho, that’s where you’re mistaken! Reichbusters uses an “AI” system if I remember right, where the players control both factions so you get to deploy Nazis AND have the satisfaction of stomping the poo poo out of them. I think Incursion might do that, too.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Nebalebadingdong posted:

That's basically the catch-22 of any historical game. In videogames like battlefield, war thunder, etc it's the same thing. You'll notice there's a couple dudes each round who always team switch to the axis side and often have really dogwhistle names. Or really blatant names. It's kinda scary.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Xenomrph posted:

Oh ho ho, that’s where you’re mistaken! Reichbusters uses an “AI” system if I remember right, where the players control both factions so you get to deploy Nazis AND have the satisfaction of stomping the poo poo out of them.

so two opposing factions face off on which one splatters the most nazis?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Nebalebadingdong posted:

so two opposing factions face off on which one splatters the most nazis?

Nope, it’s just cooperative - in Reichbusters each of the Allied players picks unique operatives (a demo guy, a sniper, a melee guy, a heavy gunner) and work together to go to town on wacky Nazi zombies/mechs/interdimensional monsters/drones/cyborgs/whatever.

Like I mean you could make a meta competition with your friends about who murders the most Nazis I guess.

https://mythicgames.net/product/reichbusters-projekt-vril-heroic-bundle/

I backed the Kickstarter for it and it got out of control, backers were unlocking bonus minis and poo poo on an hourly basis as they smashed through a silly number of stretch goals. When my box of stuff finally came in the mail it ended up being like 45lbs, it was ridiculous.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

And yet when you do shoot them, you go to jail for assaulting a police officer/politician/IT manager.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Just popped up on my ebay feed https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114939311571?hash=item1ac2eab5d3:g:GHoAAOSwRHlhGsmO

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

wrong thread

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Jesus, and it went for 112 pounds. That's less than the minis cost unpainted

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Nebalebadingdong posted:

There was a story I liked which someone posted in a thread probably a couple of years ago (it was the thread about like... racists in the hobby? Stuff like that. It went WAAAY off the rails and was closed about 8 times, but there was some good stuff inbetween the drama) about some guy, possibly a game designer, who had gorgeously painted WW2 allied forces, all details perfect, great care taken. His German army for when it was his turn to play as the axis had been painted with two coats of spray paint (I think black and pink?) and then chucked in a cardboard box.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

SiKboy posted:

There was a story I liked which someone posted in a thread probably a couple of years ago (it was the thread about like... racists in the hobby? Stuff like that. It went WAAAY off the rails and was closed about 8 times, but there was some good stuff inbetween the drama) about some guy, possibly a game designer, who had gorgeously painted WW2 allied forces, all details perfect, great care taken. His German army for when it was his turn to play as the axis had been painted with two coats of spray paint (I think black and pink?) and then chucked in a cardboard box.

Lol wonderful.

When I was a kid I had the axis+allies boardgames, and most of the time I played with the minis that came with it like they were action figures, usually mixed in with my Lego. The Americans were just regular soldiers, brits were top snipers, Soviets could machinegun anything, Japanese had little bayonet so of course they stabbed. The Germans were the badguys who would die in droves dozens to one, and fail at everything they attempted.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Wasn't there a video game that made it so that each side saw themselves and their team as allies and the enemy team as nazis? So no matter what, both teams are killing nazis.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Aranan posted:

Wasn't there a video game that made it so that each side saw themselves and their team as allies and the enemy team as nazis? So no matter what, both teams are killing nazis.

i feel like the statement that choice makes is latent with a lot more and weirder implications than was probably the intent

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Aranan posted:

If I remember correct it was a modern military shooter, and you saw your allies as Americans, enemies as whatever foreigner it was.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fashionable Jorts posted:

If I remember correct it was a modern military shooter, and you saw your allies as Americans, enemies as whatever foreigner it was.

It was the America's Army series, which was the self-admitted US Army-funded propaganda video game in which the player's side was always US Army and the opponent was always "terrorists" even in multiplayer games.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Honestly makes a certain amount of sense

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

SiKboy posted:

lol amazing

i think the only way i could do a WW2 historical game is if i painted both forces myself for a self-contained game to play among friends or something

also i would need a Company of Heroes soundboard to play during the game

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

this is more tasteful than the majority of female miniatures

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

same dilemma, what kind of monster would play as capitalists when you could be the good guys?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yMy7JuGpJM

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

punishedkissinger posted:

this is more tasteful than the majority of female miniatures

3d printing is a brave new world. For some reason I want to make some eldar/dark eldar for potential kill teams, my internal dialogue while browsing is exactly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3p_VuPIS2c

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

SiKboy posted:

IIRC that was Jack Radey, a (quite) lefty wargame designer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Radey

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

SiKboy posted:

That was Jack Radey, founder of People's Wargames. They made classic hex-based grognard wargames set on the Eastern Front, and - notably - without blonds Nazis standing tall in their Panzer turret on the cover. Very good stuff. For miniatures his German army was spray painted black and when units were eliminated he chucked them back in the cardboard box labelled "fascists".

He used to come by the game store. Good dude to shoot the breeze with on a slow Saturday.

e. EFB. And Jack is indeed waaaaay left.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Nebalebadingdong posted:

So Hellboy (which I own, including Nazi's) is a fully co-op game and has an AI system that involves no player decision making, so nobody ever controls the enemies.

When it is their time to activate, the enemies follow the steps on their card, so move towards nearest player and fight/shoot. If there are multiple possible targets, there is a priority target tracker to determine who takes the next hit.

The attack deals a set amount of damage and the player rolls for defence to mitigate damage. So, nobody is ever actually controlling the Nazis, they are just there to be punched.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
So Aussie Nazi Fan fic guy had his post deleted by the mods, so has come back today with his.... apology? Justification? Backhanded accusation of being oppressed? Take your pick.

The comments are also, well yeah.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Oh are you offended by Nazis? Grow up! Jeez some people are just so FRAGILE

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

JUST WAIT UNTIL THE SNOWFLAKES READ A HISTORY BOOK. HEAVEN FORFEND!

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I like the guy who didn't see the offending post, isn't at all sure what it was about, but assumes that it is fine and that the issue is people feel threatened by fictional villains.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

SiKboy posted:

His German army for when it was his turn to play as the axis had been painted with two coats of spray paint (I think black and pink?) and then chucked in a cardboard box.

Yeah, that was me telling that. Jack's German army was spray painted black, and kept in a cardboard box with the word "FASCISTS" written on the side in magic marker.

mllaneza posted:

He used to come by the game store. Good dude to shoot the breeze with on a slow Saturday.

I knew Jack when he lived in Berkeley, he played at "Art of War," a store on Telegraph that went out of business 20 years ago.

mllaneza posted:

e. EFB. And Jack is indeed waaaaay left.

Yeah, proudly so, right down to his hammer and sickle/star belt buckle, as he liked to say.

He also wrote a column in S&T Magazine (Edit: It might have been Moves, I forget) called "9 O'Clock," as in "pointing left." He made some really good observations there. (How many wargames use images of Nazis on the cover as compared to the number of images of Soviet soldiers. How many use German names or terms vs. how many use Russian, etc.)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

A lot of that stems from cold war sensibilities.

Kids who grew up hiding under desks from red a-bombs and watching commie hunts on TV weren't growing into 70s gamers who'd buy a book with Soviets on the cover.

Although that doesn't explain why we didn't get Sgt Rock (or his UK analogue) style covers for wargames.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

moths posted:

Although that doesn't explain why we didn't get Sgt Rock (or his UK analogue) style covers for wargames.

There were a few that came close:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That's the same badass on both fronts! I love it!

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Cessna posted:

If I saw that cover in a store, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. I don't even know what's in the book, it's coming home with me.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
There has always been this romanticized idea that the German army was superior (cutting edge weapons and tactics) and would have been successful if only they weren't led by those incompetent Nazis.
Of course this is false, real wars are won by factories and supply lines not by fancy tanks, but that doesn't stop people from fetishizing Panthers and ME109s.
The problem is that the line between the Nazi sympathizers and the Army Romantics is blurry and often overlaps.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Bucnasti posted:

There has always been this romanticized idea that the German army was superior (cutting edge weapons and tactics) and would have been successful if only they weren't led by those incompetent Nazis.
Of course this is false, real wars are won by factories and supply lines not by fancy tanks, but that doesn't stop people from fetishizing Panthers and ME109s.
The problem is that the line between the Nazi sympathizers and the Army Romantics is blurry and often overlaps.

Romantics should be obsessed with groups like the Polish resistance, not the fascist war machine.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Cessna posted:

Even his abs have abs!

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Romantics should be obsessed with groups like the Polish resistance, not the fascist war machine.

Poland didn't have snazzy uniforms or big overly complicated and expensive tanks that these people can obsess over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011

Bucnasti posted:

Poland didn't have snazzy uniforms or big overly complicated and expensive tanks that these people can obsess over.

I don't know.
The Ulan uniform is pretty snazzy.
The TKS is totes adorbs.