Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the devious chicoms have infected me with Morgellons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm gonna be really mad if it turned out they had death rays all along and they just used them to give IBS to the CIA.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
True Detective S2 is a love letter to neo-noir, especially 80s/90s neo-noir. It sucks but it also fucks.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

net work error posted:

Kamala with Havana Syndrome lmao. Stop trying to make it a thing it's not a thing!

People noticed there was a problem when Kamala stopped nervously laughing.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
i wonder if true detective only got that name due to the previous popularity of true blood.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

papa horny michael posted:

i wonder if true detective only got that name due to the previous popularity of true blood.

It's named after some pulp detective books.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
my chief complaint with Season 3 is that I feel like their is actually very little detective work, just lots of staring off into space until in the final episode, Mahershala Ali just decides to walk into the woods and essentially finds a huge pile of evidence that immediately solves the murder and the mystery all at once. It's not EXACTLY that simple, but the overall crux of the story is more or less at random and sort of invalidates almost everything that happens in the previous episodes.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
yes, but all of that is ultimately 'allowed' by some suit in corporate who doesn't know/care about that. true blood was a giant hit for hbo, true detective only modestly so for actual numbers of viewers.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Boywhiz88 posted:

True Detective S2 is a love letter to neo-noir, especially 80s/90s neo-noir. It sucks but it also fucks.

True Detective S2 is very much James Ellroy for dumb guys

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Season 2 was so goddamn bad

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i remember Pizz saying something suggesting that season 2 was going to have the same ambiguously supernatural tinge to it that the first season had and then that turned out to be untrue, i was disappointed.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Boywhiz88 posted:

More of a 2am sloppy drunk text to 80s/90s neo-noir

The main thing for me with S2 is that I can believe it's from the same writer as S1, but it's so lazy and very very clearly has charged across the line into total self parody that it's baffling to me that fans of the first one could just absorb it without reacting to that shift

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Season 2 was a vibey show but it wasn't a great show.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

bogfuckers of grungus county

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Goddammit now I gotta rewatch True Detective.

Androies
Oct 23, 2008

Ask me about my knives

net work error posted:

Kamala with Havana Syndrome lmao. Stop trying to make it a thing it's not a thing!

The newest culture war issue is going to be Havana syndrome with libs wearing tinfoil hats to virtue signal and conservatives sticking their heads into microwaves to own them.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Hot take: I didn't think think True Det Season 1 was all that great. Rust is fun to watch but the faux-profound nihilism is laughable and kind of smooths over the demonic child molestation ring plot. If Rust were exactly the same character but him and Woody were investigating Pokemon counterfeiters it would be a better show.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Rus being a rambling methhead is the part of Rus that everyone likes.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the S1 reveal of the killer and the stuff going on at his home was supposed to be horrifying but it feels over the top in a funny way if you rewatch it in 2021

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

shrike82 posted:

the S1 reveal of the killer and the stuff going on at his home was supposed to be horrifying but it feels over the top in a funny way if you rewatch it in 2021

It should have been a Cthulhu, tbh.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
matt making fun of podded up trads and felix constantly making up new guys to get mad at are the best parts of post biden chapo

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

uber_stoat posted:

i remember Pizz saying something suggesting that season 2 was going to have the same ambiguously supernatural tinge to it that the first season had and then that turned out to be untrue, i was disappointed.

Did season 3 have any supernatural stuff? Season 2 burned me so bad I never ended up watching it. The underlying Lovecraftian supernatural horror that may or may not have been happening gave the show such a cool vibe, but Pizzaman just seemed to just toss that all in the garbage for whatever reason for 2.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
the conway twitty bit was the only good part of season two

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
S3 doesn’t have any supernatural elements, no, but Ali himself is experiencing dementia in his old age and so there is more like a twinge of Science-Fiction and Horror as he frequently arrives at locations without remembering how he got there or why he would go there. The show is shot and directed in a way that you too feel disoriented, but it doesn’t ever really hit the same level as Rus seeing the birds or the ritualistic stuff with the spooky masks.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The stuff outside the two main characters in Season 3 is dumb as is the revelation of what happened. Very strange to just drop one of the aspects that people really dug of your show for the subsequent seasons.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

The stuff outside the two main characters in Season 3 is dumb as is the revelation of what happened. Very strange to just drop one of the aspects that people really dug of your show for the subsequent seasons.

I actually ended up preferring season 2 to season 3 because as goofy and stupid as season 2 was, at least it wasn't boring.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Felix thinking everyone is pretending to be into Jeopardy! because he doesn't watch it lol

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Jeopardy stinks. Ooh what if the questions were the answers!? Shut the gently caress up

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Felix thinking everyone is pretending to be into Jeopardy! because he doesn't watch it lol

it’s nice when the king of funny observation proves himself human from time to time

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
“Host of jeopardy” seems like one of those cultural icons that used to mean something and now doesn’t like “host of the tonight show”. Was a big deal when there were like two late night talk shows but now there’s a million of em all hosted by basically the same person. It’s just not a big deal anymore.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It kinda is a big deal hence all the drama. The boys were right though that it is emblematic of America where the executives go let's give this to Blossom instead of the dozens of other better choices.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

the only game show host who matters anymore is Steve Harvey

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Seams posted:

“Host of jeopardy” seems like one of those cultural icons that used to mean something and now doesn’t like “host of the tonight show”. Was a big deal when there were like two late night talk shows but now there’s a million of em all hosted by basically the same person. It’s just not a big deal anymore.

It was never about “the host of jeopardy” it was “drat Alex Trebek fuckin rules, I fuckin’ love Alex Trebek”. He was the office itself, the show held no prestige because no one in America will ever respect a nerd. It reminds me of when Jon Stewart retired from TDS. There’s no one on Earth who can fill those shoes because it wasn’t about the shoes, so to speak, but the feet themselves we all loved.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Rodd busting over tootsies again smdh

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Breadallelogram posted:

the only game show host who matters anymore is Steve Harvey

I feel like even then he was more popular as a host or talked about early on when the reactions were less planned, instead of more recently where they setup an obvious question for someone to say a dumb/sexual answer so he can react for 2 minutes.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I think Jeopardy! is treated like a big deal because (guessing) like 2% of the population watches it religiously, which isn't nothing these days, and they're mostly lib nerd types who are disproportionately catered to (or part of) the media.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
A lot of people also got into Jeopardy during the pandemic because it’s good comfort food. But I read recently that only like 20% of its audience is under 55.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

game shows are daytime tv for old people

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Somebody post that pic of wolf blitzer on jeopardy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Breadallelogram posted:

game shows are daytime tv for old people

Jeopardy! is primetime in Real America (the northeast). I think in flyover country it's an afternoon deal which is psychotic.

Henchman of Santa posted:

A lot of people also got into Jeopardy during the pandemic because it’s good comfort food. But I read recently that only like 20% of its audience is under 55.

Makes sense I got into when I was a kid from watching it with my dad.