Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Segata Sanshiro posted:

why did eva thrice upon a time play Xmas music from a gospel choir at me

because it rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Pitch posted:

I really liked the Altered Carbon books but the next thing I read from Morgan was Black Man/Thirteen and it's just loving Blade Runner with biotruths. The whole gimmick is about unlocking the genes that create true human alpha males and I can easily see the arc between that pile of poo poo and ten years later having a lot of opinions on who should be able to use public bathrooms.

Ah, was that the one where the bad guy is Jesus? Why did I read all those? But, yeah, I still think the Altered Carbon books were pretty neat and everything after that was just worse rewrites.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Sometimes people only have one good story in them, but they hit it big in their lifetime so they have to just draw out that one good idea.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

tokin opposition posted:

Looks like that godawful Watch series they did

And where the gently caress is Ed, the best character
they were probably afraid of having to deal with ed revealing she's a girl when everyone assumed the opposite and people getting mad at the show on twitter for not making her NB :smug:

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Deified Data posted:

I started the first volume of Chainsaw Man - does the dude ever become less of an incel?

Denji’s narrative drive is that he’s someone who due to circumstance was robbed of virtually everything a normal person would have experienced. His deal with the devil is literally just his promise to live a normal life, because that was so far beyond his reach. So of course his desire to touch girls is absolutely not going to get granted the way he wants. He’s not an incel, though. Denji doesn’t feel he’s owed anything and he actually understands consent

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Relin posted:

they were probably afraid of having to deal with ed revealing she's a girl when everyone assumed the opposite and people getting mad at the show on twitter for not making her NB :smug:

Ed is Ed

Edgender

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I watched Girls und Panzer Das Finale 1. That series is so fun.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
If they're making live action adaptations of anime, they should do Girls und Panzer! A powerful story of female friendship with thrilling tank battles, it would be a four quadrant hit!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

tokin opposition posted:

Ed is Ed

Edgender

Ed is gender is like computer and Ein (who is very smart)

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

look the dvd case says “cowboy bebop at his computer” and i just dont see that in this adaptation

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Hell yeah.

https://twitter.com/AnimeNewsNet/status/1430841217273765888?s=19

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Kit Walker posted:

Denji’s narrative drive is that he’s someone who due to circumstance was robbed of virtually everything a normal person would have experienced. His deal with the devil is literally just his promise to live a normal life, because that was so far beyond his reach. So of course his desire to touch girls is absolutely not going to get granted the way he wants. He’s not an incel, though. Denji doesn’t feel he’s owed anything and he actually understands consent

Yeah, Denji's situation is so terrible that one of his dreams is just to be able to eat bread with jam for breakfast. Part of the starting chapter is him thinking about what body parts he still can afford to part with for some cash.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
the eyepatch lady is also an incel

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

:hellyeah: The first season was the right kind of good vibes.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Deified Data posted:

I started the first volume of Chainsaw Man - does the dude ever become less of an incel?

Yes.
It's also a pretty short series so even if you hate it don't worry it ends soon.
And is really good.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

A friend of mine watched FLCL, and absolutely hated it. Which I can't understand cause to me I always put it up there with Bebop and Eva. I also liked those two sequels they did a few years ago even if they were a wiff most people have forgotten

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

KomradeX posted:

A friend of mine watched FLCL, and absolutely hated it. Which I can't understand cause to me I always put it up there with Bebop and Eva. I also liked those two sequels they did a few years ago even if they were a wiff most people have forgotten

FLCL was lightning in a bottle, an experimental artistic mishmash of absurdist bullshit and metaphor and for all of that managed to capture something really true about the feeling of going through adolescence. It was expensive and experimental and bizarre and nonsensical and weirdly honest and the soundtrack loving ruled. If you go in there expecting something coherent you're liable to be disappointed, so I kind of understand how someone might not like it, but I've watched the whole thing more times than I can remember.

The sequels were utterly hollow attempts to mimic everything about the original, but only at a surface level. Imitation without understanding. They took no comparable risks to the original, choosing instead to ctrl-c everything that worked last time.

McKilligan has issued a correction as of 07:39 on Aug 27, 2021

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

FLCL doesn't hit quite the same if you're watching it for the first time as an adult, especially if you're watching it now. A lot of the cool poo poo it did with animation is pretty standard stuff now, and as a coming-of-age story it's absolutely outclassed by tons of other works. There's also this niggling feeling that there's just supposed to be more? Lots of plot hooks and character hooks that don't ever really go anywhere and are left completely unexplored and unresolved. At the end it can feel really unsatisfying. The music still slaps, but it's kinda telling that that's usually the most prominent thing that gets brought up whenever the show is mentioned

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
i dunno, flcl is about vibes rather than plot and i enjoyed it on a recent rewatch
there's not much like it in terms of energy really

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

McKilligan posted:

The sequels were utterly hollow attempts to mimic everything about the original, but only at a surface level. Imitation without understanding. They took no comparable risks to the original, choosing instead to ctrl-c everything that worked last time.

The fact that they used The Pillows at all was a very alarming sign to me from the start. And then it came out and it turned out that they also just reused most of the songs from the memorable scenes in the original instead of anything the band has done in the past, like, 15 years.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Honest Thief posted:

i dunno, flcl is about vibes rather than plot and i enjoyed it on a recent rewatch
there's not much like it in terms of energy really

There are lots of good shows that are about vibes that don't get enough love and I hate that.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Srice posted:

The fact that they used The Pillows at all was a very alarming sign to me from the start. And then it came out and it turned out that they also just reused most of the songs from the memorable scenes in the original instead of anything the band has done in the past, like, 15 years.

Yeah, I was also disappointed that the music didn't change at all. I don't know who was calling the shots, but they weren't taking any chances - just play the hits, don't stray from the formula. From the music to the plot to the protagonists, they just made more of the same.

FLCL worked because it was just this batshit gestalt mix of all these disparate elements that were passions of the people who made it. Any continuation of the franchise should have just given the staff free reign to put something personal into it and just let it become whatever the gently caress it becomes.

The sequels were an impossible premise from the get-go, because anything that kept the same spirit as the original couldn't possibly resemble it.

McKilligan has issued a correction as of 01:37 on Aug 28, 2021

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah that makes a lot of sense that FLCL is a thing you had to be there for which makes it not timeless like a Bebop, but yeah the music still rules

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I started rewatching the Rebuild movies since the last one finally dropped and gently caress. I can't see anything through all those levels of nostalgia. About 20 years since I watched the original series, but I also remember being super excited for those movies.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

McKilligan posted:

Yeah, I was also disappointed with that the music didn't change at all. I don't know who was calling the shots, but they weren't taking any chances - just play the hits, don't stray from the formula. From the music to the plot to the protagonists, they just made more of the same.

FLCL worked because it was just this batshit gestalt mix of all these disparate elements that were passions of the people who made it. Any continuation of the franchise should have just given the staff free reign to put something personal into it and just let it become whatever the gently caress it becomes.

The sequels were an impossible premise from the get-go, because anything that kept the same spirit as the original couldn't possibly resemble it.

What's wild is they actually did it before. When they made Diebuster they didn't just make more Gunbuster, they made something with the same spirit.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

genericnick posted:

I started rewatching the Rebuild movies since the last one finally dropped and gently caress. I can't see anything through all those levels of nostalgia. About 20 years since I watched the original series, but I also remember being super excited for those movies.

They're going to play off that nostalgia

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
so my wife and I are watching fate finally. We did Fate: unlimited blade works, and just finished the 3 heavens feel movies. pretty fun all around. cool character design and world, and I'm a sucker for the different paths thing. the really insane part is that season 1 of UBW sucks. like it's seriously not really good. but season 2 is really really good and then all of the heaven's feel movies are excellent. It's by the studio that did demon slayer so the art and animation is amazing throughout. seriously there were parts in the movies that may be some of the most beautiful animation I've ever seen. sometimes it would have this beautiful shot of the city or something for 2 seconds, and it was sad to think of some artist working for hours for that 2 second shot. I'd give it a shot, if you've ever had any interest.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I think all the anime adaptations of fate suck because there's no real substitute for Shirou's inner monologue plus the second heavens feel movie is structured very weirdly imo. And while i'm at it fate/zero butchers saber's character.

the kara no kyoukai movies are goat however and you should watch those if you havent

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Stairmaster posted:

I think all the anime adaptations of fate suck because there's no real substitute for Shirou's inner monologue plus the second heavens feel movie is structured very weirdly imo. And while i'm at it fate/zero butchers saber's character.

the kara no kyoukai movies are goat however and you should watch those if you havent
I mean, isn't the point of Fate/Zero that it's Saber before she gets character development?

(I love the gently caress out of Fate/Zero)

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

Literally was about to post this. They're all extremely good and the 5th one in particular is a fantastic mindfuck. All the Fate adaptations fall a little short of the VN itself but the KnK movies are just great

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

JT Jag posted:

I mean, isn't the point of Fate/Zero that it's Saber before she gets character development?

(I love the gently caress out of Fate/Zero)

no because f/sn paints her as a pragmatist, not too dissimilar to kiritsugu, when she was actually king with her going scorched earth on one of her own villages because it'd save more in the long run while in fate/zero she comes off as completely naive compared to kiri.

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

Mirello posted:

so my wife and I are watching fate finally. We did Fate: unlimited blade works, and just finished the 3 heavens feel movies. pretty fun all around. cool character design and world, and I'm a sucker for the different paths thing. the really insane part is that season 1 of UBW sucks. like it's seriously not really good. but season 2 is really really good and then all of the heaven's feel movies are excellent. It's by the studio that did demon slayer so the art and animation is amazing throughout. seriously there were parts in the movies that may be some of the most beautiful animation I've ever seen. sometimes it would have this beautiful shot of the city or something for 2 seconds, and it was sad to think of some artist working for hours for that 2 second shot. I'd give it a shot, if you've ever had any interest.

play the visual novel.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

my recommendation is to skip the Fate franchise it's not worth it Lol

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

an actual dog posted:

my recommendation is to skip the Fate franchise it's not worth it Lol

way ahead of you [leans back, kicks up feet] aaahhhhh

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

way ahead of you [leans back, kicks up feet] aaahhhhh

But then you miss Giant Robot Charles Babbage.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Segata Sanshiro posted:

why did eva thrice upon a time play Xmas music from a gospel choir at me

"Why did you crucify the mechas, what were you trying to mean by that scene?"
"Nothing, I thought it looked cool"

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

What's the matter,scared?

Should I watch the remake of legend of galactic heroes or is it poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

its not good enough to replace the original from what ive heard