Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Bike covers are kind of expensive for what they are so… I could see it? I mean someone once stole the side view mirror plastic cover from the front on my car lol. So I could see it being a thing. Start putting a lock on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Mine was a ratty cheap cover that already had a few holes in it, one of the last things I thought would be stolen. Although someone did steal my mom's plastic wheel covers on her 2012 Honda once so...

Replaced it with a similar cheap one today, although now that it looks newer hopefully it doesn't just get stolen again. I put a disc lock on the front brake that has a really annoying and sensitive alarm, then a chain that also has an alarm attached to it through the front fork, and wrapped the cover strap around both, so anyone taking it again is at least going to have to put more effort and to it and also have to put up with two really obnoxious alarms blaring. :siren: :siren:

Oh and good idea, didn't even think of locking the actual cover, I just added a cheap padlock to the whole contraption so it's not going anywhere without something being cut or smashed.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Anyone ever have their motorcycle COVER stolen before? Went out this morning to find my bike sitting there without a cover (someone had also rifled through the box I had sitting under it with my oil drain pan and half-empty oil cans). Nothing else missing or hosed with that I can tell, but now I'm worried.

I'm in an apartment parking complex, I put my bike in front of my car and hook the cover up to the front bumper, always figured that would be a minor deterrent to anyone poking around. Picked up a replacement cover today, along with a chain and disc lock with alarm. I have a dashcam in my car and am going to try to figure out how to hard wire it to a constant power source so I can use the parking monitor mode.

Yeah. In London. Also had the cover ripped off but left attached to the lock. Supposedly they’ll nick the cover to see if the bike is “watched”.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I've had 3 covers nicked, it's a pretty irritating crime. None resulted in bike theft, probably because of the chain (and me not owning bikes worth the hassle)

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

On the subject of cheap bike covers, I use an outdoor grill cover for my EX250 and it fits really well. It even has the fancy vents. It's at least half the price of an actual motorcycle cover. Just make sure that they're large enough for your bike by checking the cover size. If you have mirrors that can't fold in, that might be a problem.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Slide Hammer posted:

On the subject of cheap bike covers, I use an outdoor grill cover for my EX250 and it fits really well. It even has the fancy vents. It's at least half the price of an actual motorcycle cover. Just make sure that they're large enough for your bike by checking the cover size. If you have mirrors that can't fold in, that might be a problem.

Hey thanks, that’s honestly pretty cool. I’ve been shopping for one because I’m tired of taking it to my friends house to put in the garage every time there’s a 10% chance to rain.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Everytime you guys go on about how poo poo it is to bike in London I keep not-looking-forward-to ever being back in the office down there.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Steakandchips posted:

Everytime you guys go on about how poo poo it is to bike in London I keep not-looking-forward-to ever being back in the office down there.

London is fantastic fun to bike in and people saying otherwise are cowards.

(The not-fun bit is of course being *forced* to do so in order to get to work)

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Yeah I love riding in London. Also people know to expect bikes so it isn't too bad safety wise, unlike when I went to Birmingham which was mayhem

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Someone pulled a Ural with sidecar up to the bike coffee shop I go to, and now it’s all I want to try riding :lol:

Looked so utilitarian but so awesome.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I guess the secret is to ride in London but not park in it.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Horse Clocks posted:

Yeah. In London. Also had the cover ripped off but left attached to the lock. Supposedly they’ll nick the cover to see if the bike is “watched”.
Makes sense, I'd gone out once before a couple weeks ago and it looked like the cover had been lifted up but I chalked it up to how windy it had been.

Slide Hammer posted:

Ohh great idea, my bike is small (Ninja 400) so something like that would be plenty.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Martytoof posted:

Someone pulled a Ural with sidecar up to the bike coffee shop I go to, and now it’s all I want to try riding :lol:

There’s a dude in my neighborhood with one. They’re very cool looking IMO.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Martytoof posted:

They are as close to a literal three wheeled tractor as it's possible to get, for better and worse. I've worked on a couple and they are exactly like the various ladas - they get constantly criticized for being "poo poo" but when you actually examine the hardware and put aside your biases you find they're a very good machine built to requirements nobody in western countries has. You just have to put aside what marketing has taught you is cool and good. I enjoyed the reverse gear and every screw being flathead.

I really want to work on an actual soviet built bike, like a dnepr for example, just to see what pre-capitalist manufacturing looks like on a nitty gritty scale.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ought ten posted:

I’ve also been stung by a inside my face mask. Lifted it at low speed in town and a wasp got sucked right up into the upper right corner. I feel like there’s another member of this club around here, maybe JSB?

Yuuuuuup. Let’s see, when I was a kid riding my 50cc mini bike I took a bee to the eye, it stung me mere millimeters from my actual eyeball

I had a bee go down my shirt while I was riding with my then girlfriend, now ~waaiiife~ on the back. It was amazingly calm until my girlfriend saw a lump under my shirt after I took my jacket off and decided to gently squeeze it :gonk:

Most recently I took a wasp to the neck, it stung me twice in a row on the neck, I swatted it off, it fell down between the tank and my thigh and got me a third time

I have bad luck with stinging insects

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 23, 2021

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Maybe stolen by a homeless person needing a little shelter?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Looking at an '01 DRZ400 this afternoon. It's pretty beat up w/r/t plastics but that's fine as long as it's not rotting, ticking, or leaking. Only thing that gave me some pause was that in the photos the entire lower clutch side case seems to be a dark grey vs the light grey of the engine. Wondering if it's painted or covering up 100 layers of jb-weld or something. Wouldn't be out of character if the bike is beat up but I guess I'll figure that out soon. I gather it's pretty common for the pedals to punch holes in these magnesium cases so I'm not really worried about it actually being cracked in the past and can replace the case if necessary, but would suck if there was 20 years of magnesium chunks floating around the clutch basket all this time :haw:

Lord give me the strength to say no if it's poo poo.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If there's any doubt there is no doubt.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Guess who's back

Back again

Erik's back

Tell nobody because buells don't come with friends

Surely now that it's been ten years, people will wake up and realize this is still the best bike in the world:

People just needed time to absorb the genius energy.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

Back again

For the very fourth time

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

is this a good beginner crotch rocket I'm thinkin of upgrading from my ninja

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

For the very fourth time
Perfect :xd:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Is there anything on it that's newer than 2013? The only difference I noticed was the fairings being slightly different.

The funniest thing to it to me is Buell himself not being involved at all.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

No the funniest part is trying to sell a boutique hand built literbike in tyool 2021 that is comprehensively outperformed by the panigale 1199, an obsolete mass produced bike that debuted in 2011 and is no longer in production, to a spec that isn't eligible to race anywhere, with a look approximately 20 years out of date, and a badge the motorbike world has been trained to distrust.

PolishHero
Nov 11, 2005
The weird part is that Erik has nothing to do with this. The people who bought the assets up in the bankruptcy (both times) have decided to start production again all on their own while Erik is working on weird electric scooters with a company called 'Fuell' :|

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

PolishHero posted:

Erik is working on weird electric scooters with a company called 'Fuell' :|

I love everything going on in this sentence. It's just breathtaking.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

PolishHero posted:

Erik is working on weird electric scooters

Cool! I wondered for a second why he wasn't doing electric instead.

PolishHero posted:

with a company called 'Fuell' :|

Ehh...ok. This too might not go so well.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Very happy that the only design components carried over are the rim brakes.

PolishHero
Nov 11, 2005

knox_harrington posted:

Very happy that the only design components carried over are the rim brakes.

He's putting the motor in the wheel, of course.

PolishHero
Nov 11, 2005

Ola posted:

Cool! I wondered for a second why he wasn't doing electric instead.

Ehh...ok. This too might not go so well.

A friend of mine worked for a place that was doing the marketing work for Fuell, I wish I could find the docs he sent me.

Apparently the idea is to build a magnesium monocoque battery unit that functions as a stressed member, with a hub motor and a few other Erik-isms.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

PolishHero posted:

magnesium monocoque battery unit

because lithium fires weren't difficult enough already :shepicide:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

PolishHero posted:

magnesium monocoque battery unit that functions as a stressed member,

:piss:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

PolishHero posted:

A friend of mine worked for a place that was doing the marketing work for Fuell, I wish I could find the docs he sent me.

Apparently the idea is to build a magnesium monocoque battery unit that functions as a stressed member, with a hub motor and a few other Erik-isms.

Lmao loving incredible, Leonard de quirm strikes again!

PolishHero
Nov 11, 2005
I think the slides/pics he sent me are lost now, unfortunately. I was informed that he was didn't want anything to do with the electric bicycles and that was forced on him, and that he was already at some odds with the rest of the design team/management over his absolute insistence on purple and green color schemes, among other things.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
That's some load-bearing hubris right there.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

PolishHero posted:

I think the slides/pics he sent me are lost now, unfortunately. I was informed that he was didn't want anything to do with the electric bicycles and that was forced on him, and that he was already at some odds with the rest of the design team/management over his absolute insistence on purple and green color schemes, among other things.

Most companies have some cool origin story about a prototype drawing on a napkin. I don't know if Erik is difficult about splitting the bill or something, but this is the stage he usually comes up with an internal conflict.

Ola fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Aug 24, 2021

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Funny how every place he's at, there is some internal force keeping him from achieving his preordained greatness :thunk:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Erik is just Bender, starting his own motorcycle company, with v-twins and floating discs.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I enjoyed [...] every screw being flathead.

Is this the kind of enjoyment where you throw back your head and laugh at how stupid the world is, or are you some kind of sicko

(ok, yes, flatheads can be made using hand tools, but they're still hateful little devils)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

No I genuinely liked it. The whole bike was designed in a way that you could basically do a roadside engine rebuild with a handful of tools. I like vehicles that are just completely utilitarian and don't give any fucks about looking cool or being marketable or whatever the gently caress. Just a tool for a job, the job being drunkenly weaving across the steppe for decades on end.