Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Bold Robot posted:

Has anyone managed to get this to run well on OS X? I've got a 2018 MacBook Pro that meets the system reqs and it runs lovely on low settings. When I boot the machine into Windows 10 it runs very smooth on high settings. One year since launch it's pretty disappointing that the game still runs poorly on supposedly supported hardware.

scaterry posted:

It runs well on my ~2014 Macbook Pro, but I have to play on minimum resolution (1440x900), otherwise it chugs. If it runs that much better with Windows then frankly I'm jealous T.T

My immediate first suspect on reading those two descriptions is that it's running at a native retina resolution if you don't tell it otherwise, and this will obviously impact how much graphical oomph is left for displaying any actual game detail. Even a decent desktop rig will start feeling the pressure if you tell it to run CK3 at 2880×1800.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
My song and heir keeps trying to kill me, which I get. If I imprison him but then die (I'm kinda old) will that gently caress up my succession?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

You can inherit titles while in prison, but I honestly have no idea if your heir will be able to release themselves or not. Find out for us! :)

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Tippis posted:

My immediate first suspect on reading those two descriptions is that it's running at a native retina resolution if you don't tell it otherwise, and this will obviously impact how much graphical oomph is left for displaying any actual game detail. Even a decent desktop rig will start feeling the pressure if you tell it to run CK3 at 2880×1800.

I wish it were this. It runs poorly at 1400x900 on Mac and fine at 2800x1800 on the same hardware in Windows.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/dev-diary-70-the-facts-about-artifacts.1488487/

Some nifty things about artifacts and such here.

Kind of hidden at the end is the news that a release this year is a goal, and the language seems more cautionary than optimistic on that front.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
I appreciate that they're being thoughtful about balancing artifacts, allowing them to serve in a mostly-historical role as propaganda pieces, evidence of a ruler's wealth, power, and legitimacy. I'm also looking forward to modders adding artifacts with magic powers and using them to have medieval wizard duels.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I hope they bring back Jesus's foreskin as an artefact. I remember playing a game of CK2 where I ended up with 3 seperate foreskins, though I think I donated one of them to a cathedral so they would rename it after the artefact.

Also given how cautious they are being about the release date of this expansion I can't see that they are going to expand the map any time soon.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly you'd get a whole lot of saint's fingerbones, but sometimes a cool sword!

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.
Artifacts are the number one thing I miss from ck2 so I'm pretty happy.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
That looks like a lot of fun. Looking forward to having something that menaces with spikes of X.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Turns out that CK3 is coming out... on Xbox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsKImC3_UGQ

edit: Apparently on ps5 too.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 24, 2021

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

adhuin posted:

Turns out that CK3 is coming out... on Xbox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsKImC3_UGQ

edit: Apparently on ps5 too.

Insanely badass imo

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

When playing as a vassal, is there any downside at all to switching your contract to one of the special ones, like March? Playing as a duke in the HRE, it seems like I can switch my contract to March without even needing a hook. This never occurred to me to do before, but it seems like a no brainer?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Good news everyone, my rival, a seven year old unlanded girl, has expired. Hopefully I can move on now. I'm the 50 year old duke of Holland.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Bold Robot posted:

Has anyone managed to get this to run well on OS X? I've got a 2018 MacBook Pro that meets the system reqs and it runs lovely on low settings. When I boot the machine into Windows 10 it runs very smooth on high settings. One year since launch it's pretty disappointing that the game still runs poorly on supposedly supported hardware.

Looks like that model has a dedicated GPU and onboard graphics. It's possible that it is not using the dedicated GPU. Go to System Preferences -> Energy Saver and uncheck the option "Automatic graphics switching".
This will force the system to always use the dedicated GPU.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

zoux posted:

Good news everyone, my rival, a seven year old unlanded girl, has expired. Hopefully I can move on now. I'm the 50 year old duke of Holland.

Congratulations on your victory over the child known as Matilda, Duke Trunchbull!

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
What are some fun religious tenets? I'm currently about to reform the vvluphixje in my Qiang horde of women conquers the world game and I'm not sure what to take.

I'm going with Polyamory for 1 of them as I'm going matriarchal and want my ruler to be able to have kids with the best men in the kingdom without having to worry about their husbands getting upset. I've basically got a free choice on the other 2 as the unreformed faith starts with communal identity, sanctity of nature, and ascetism which are all pretty sucky.

I've not played a religion with reincarnation yet, is it any good?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Traxis posted:

Looks like that model has a dedicated GPU and onboard graphics. It's possible that it is not using the dedicated GPU. Go to System Preferences -> Energy Saver and uncheck the option "Automatic graphics switching".
This will force the system to always use the dedicated GPU.

Good suggestion, but that was like the first thing I tried a year ago when the game dropped, to no effect.

I think CK3 is just really poorly optimized for Mac. :shrug:

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

SlothBear posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/dev-diary-70-the-facts-about-artifacts.1488487/

Kind of hidden at the end is the news that a release this year is a goal, and the language seems more cautionary than optimistic on that front.

:toot:

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

One day I will proofread my posts well, but today is not that day.

zoux posted:

My last rival was my wife, whom I may... have cheated on. But then she gained a Duchy in France, moved away and sent me the nicest present. I'm sure my dying not long afterwards was a pure coincidence.

And the my son inherited the kingdoms of Portugal (after a small war to take one of the kingdoms back from his infant brother) and with only one murder became the King of France as well! Mom couldn't be more proud.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Ages ago someone did a big effortpost about what the best buildings were, but now I can't find it. I'm coming back to the game after not playing since around launch and feel the need to minmax my construction. What is the current meta on what buildings are best? IIRC the building guide that I consulted way back when took the position that heavy infantry and spearmen were the best MAA and took that into account when choosing buildings.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Armored Cav are the best MaA, and Regimental Camps that boost them (and give a tiny MaA discount) plus whatever gives cash are the best buildings, along with the duchy building for ACav. But Regimental Camps are limited to farmlands and floodplains which are generally rare outside of Egypt and Mesopotamia.

Oh unless you have access to Horse Archers, in which case that's the best MaA, and you build the Skirmisher boosting buildings.

If you're too poor for ACav, then barracks remains the best line, and just use a lot of Armoured Footmen. You could mix Pike in too but the AI is (inexplicably) coded not to specialize it's MaA composition so there's no real need.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
that all sounds more complicated than culture shifting to norse for a generation and getting varaganian vets

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Varangian Veterans are the best and i will not hear otherwise.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yep, they sure know how to make em in Vangaria.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
I don't know how I keep getting Varangian veterans in my MaA now that I've destroyed Byzantium. Where do they come from now?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Albino Squirrel posted:

I don't know how I keep getting Varangian veterans in my MaA now that I've destroyed Byzantium. Where do they come from now?

i mean as the isle of mann i just make them?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

They must undergo grueling training in Miklagard, which is a shed out back with the Chi Rho painted on it.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

a pipe smoking dog posted:

What are some fun religious tenets? I'm currently about to reform the vvluphixje in my Qiang horde of women conquers the world game and I'm not sure what to take.

I'm going with Polyamory for 1 of them as I'm going matriarchal and want my ruler to be able to have kids with the best men in the kingdom without having to worry about their husbands getting upset. I've basically got a free choice on the other 2 as the unreformed faith starts with communal identity, sanctity of nature, and ascetism which are all pretty sucky.

Pursuit of Power/Warmonger for cbs. Pursuit of Power is a classic combo with pacifism, as well.
Gnosticism if you plan on making more faiths later on
Blot + Cannibalism = all your vassals become cannibals + have insane opinion bonuses with you/each other
Esotericism for the wise man trait and access to mystical communion

Reincarnation is meh, it's just not very impactful. ostensibly it could be useful if you stack county conversion resistance, but that implies somehow losing converted land which doesn't really happen

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I just put all my maas in siege engines, because wars are won by sieging poo poo. I've also optimized my process for attracting all the military engines (breed attractive court ladies and matri marry them). Then some organizers to move your siege engines around swiftly, and you're all set. If I want horses and whatnot, that's what mercenaries are for.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

pidan posted:

I just put all my maas in siege engines, because wars are won by sieging poo poo. I've also optimized my process for attracting all the military engines (breed attractive court ladies and matri marry them). Then some organizers to move your siege engines around swiftly, and you're all set. If I want horses and whatnot, that's what mercenaries are for.

This actually sounds hilarious and I want to try it. But also a great way to get turbo-ganked by your vassals.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Reincarnation is mostly pretty lame. I never ended up playing as a reincarnated character, the chances are quite low, I would just hear about my dynasty members being reincarnated (which I think gave some nice boosts to be fair).

Ritual Hospitality is quite good, you're probably going to want your powerful vassals on your counsel anyway and piety can be very, very useful to have. Ritual Suicide is also quite nice if you're like me and you often reach the point where you're just waiting to die so your heir can take over. But if you want to focus on conquering, Warmonger and Human Sacrifice may be more suited to your needs.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I really liked being able to roll over dudes with massed gendarmes in my Karling Roman game

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

so I am trying to fix this hideous mess. I started as the count of bayeux in normandy and had an opening in brittany, but its being a tough nut to crack because they're now allied with france and with a duchy in the HRE. Meanwhile, I apparently can't become a duke because I am under one nor I can usurp the duchy of brittany, which is a problem

I guess I can bypass that by becoming king of brittany? cartographic aesthetes, please help :smith:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

You can't create a Kingdom title unless you hold two duchy titles. So either get to work assassinating some portion of the Franco-Breton alliance, so do become Duke of Normandy instead.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

You can't create a Kingdom title unless you hold two duchy titles. So either get to work assassinating some portion of the Franco-Breton alliance, so do become Duke of Normandy instead.

the duchess of normandy is my friend, because

look at that diplomatic score, my guy basically gets everyone to like him, lmao

good thing my son is shaping up to be really good at intrigue

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

SlothBear posted:

Procedurally generated descriptors woo.

All Craftshumanship is off the highest equality.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

HA

this was very, very fun! Never had this much when playing CK2 lol

so I used my guy's tremendous diplomacy to sway key parts of the duchy, especially the spymaster. With some generous bribing of her and a few associates, got rid of the pesky alliance problem, then fought a couple of wars and my duchess got the last one for me. I forgot completely that you can ask the pope to give you a title claim; my high af diplo with a gift plus the other guy being a sadist got me the claim. Bastard managed to get an alliance with a Danish duke that had some tough as nails soldiers, but I had the duchy of champagne to back me up and we managed to destroy one of the armies

now time to get nantes from france because aquitaine slipped by and stole it from me

edit: welp bubonic plague

dead gay comedy forums fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 25, 2021

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I started a new game using OPB's mod list here:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2256634826

and now the interaction menu looks like this:

can I turn off the debug options?

There's a mod in the list that adds a debug toggle to the encyclopaedia:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2264428428

but those interaction options don't disappear however I toggle it