Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Gunshow Poophole posted:

he was the only one after a thorough inspection

Those white spots on it near its head look like parasitic wasp eggs or cocoons. I would have left it alone and enjoyed the bounty of wasps.

Synnr posted:

It seems this is an Eastern Comma, part of the question mark family (??) Which seems like a prank name. After several videos of it trying to land on my dogs head and him trying to sniff the flying flower it finally chilled out on the fence.

I think that one's a Question Mark. They're named that because they have markings on the underside of their wings that look sort of like a comma and a question mark. Here's a picture that shows it and how to ID them:

McGavin fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

McGavin posted:

Those white spots on it near its head look like parasitic wasp eggs or cocoons. I would have left it alone and enjoyed the bounty of wasps.

I think that one's a Question Mark. They're named that because they have markings on the underside of their wings that look sort of like a comma and a question mark. Here's a picture that shows it and how to ID them:

I moved him off the plant but didn't squish him so I still get a nice wasp harvest!

Seen more and different bugs in my garden than ever this year, it's been great. Tons of asilidae tons of thin waist wasps, damsel and dragon flies, carpenter bees and tiger bee flies, buncha weird sawyer beetles

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Bird ID please, from Virginia. Can't find him in the app.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

poverty goat posted:

Bird ID please, from Virginia. Can't find him in the app.

American Redstart, a new-world warbler. Either a female or first year male. Not sure if they breed in your area but they may well be migrating south now.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Chill green grasshopper munching a palm leaf in Beaumont, California

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

There is an eensy weensy baby lizard that has been hanging around my front steps but woah is he fast! My goal is to catch a picture of him for the critterquest.

Edit: I have placed a dime next to the spot where the baby lizard hangs out for size comparison in hopes of sneaking a picture.

Ralph Hurley fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 23, 2021

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

BetterLekNextTime posted:

American Redstart, a new-world warbler. Either a female or first year male. Not sure if they breed in your area but they may well be migrating south now.

Thanks! And wow the adult male looks quite different. Definitely not a local.

https://i.imgur.com/A6q8hsE.mp4

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

poverty goat posted:

Thanks! And wow the adult male looks quite different. Definitely not a local.

https://i.imgur.com/A6q8hsE.mp4

this is very chill, love to watch caterpillars get fattttt

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

I think this dude is a robin but not really sure as he is so scruffy.

e. I think it is a common redstart

Sorbus fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Aug 24, 2021

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sorbus posted:

That doesn't look like a robin to me - beak looks to short and the coloration is wrong.

I find robins weird - like I just don't get them. Jays I get. Crows I get. Hummingbirds I get, Herons I get. Osprey I get. But robins just seem like their behavior is random and I can't get a read on them.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

McGavin posted:

I think you're correct, my partner was quite sure it was as well and very glad someone else agreed with her!

Sorbus posted:

A female one? That's a scruffy bird, looks like it just got done toweling off after swimming.

My new place isn't quite as nice to look at birds other than the one (1) very grumpy adolescent bluejay and some little sparrows who refuse to get out of the street, but my trees have many visitors. I don't think I'm ever going to get a look at the very obvious owl living outside my office window, but it was very busy this afternoon. I do love a mockingbird, but I really want a picture of the vireo....

E; and a possum just walked by on my fence but I couldn't get the dang camera up fast enough to take a picture. New goal!

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

That doesn't look like a robin to me - beak looks to short and the coloration is wrong.

I find robins weird - like I just don't get them. Jays I get. Crows I get. Hummingbirds I get, Herons I get. Osprey I get. But robins just seem like their behavior is random and I can't get a read on them.

Yeah I think it is a juvenile common redstart and not a robin. Didn't think that at first even though it was what BirdID suggested as I haven't seen that species around before.

I like robins, they are pretty bold but will not pose for pictures as easily as wrens and blackbirds do. Also they are easy to recognize in the woods as they constantly keep that tik-tik-tik sound :)

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/ClagKx3.mp4

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

Ralph Hurley posted:

There is an eensy weensy baby lizard that has been hanging around my front steps but woah is he fast! My goal is to catch a picture of him for the critterquest.

Edit: I have placed a dime next to the spot where the baby lizard hangs out for size comparison in hopes of sneaking a picture.

Well, the little fella broke into my house, probably under the door. I don’t know how long he’s been inside. Found him on the floor, nearly stepped on him. He made it almost all the way to the bedroom, somehow not being discovered by the cat. Our floor is laminate and he was furiously squiggling his legs but getting no traction. He is exhausted. I’m letting him rest in this container for a while before I let him go. I hope he’s okay.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

Update:

I kept the babby lizard safe until my daughter got home from school because I knew she would want to hold it. It perked right up and darted into the dead leaves. Good critter encounter.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Found a weird kitten

And a fast worm

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
I don't know if this counts, but I ran across it on the youtube channel, that I found because of wild pigs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p16g5IVCdeE

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Oh hey, what a neat caterpillar! Better get it off the sidewalk so no one steps on it.

No caterpillar! Only snake!

Tiger swallowtail, I believe. I was tempted to take it home but I wasn't sure how far along it was - turns out when they're brown they're pretty much ready to pupate. Ah well!

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Saw a Mud Dobber making a home at work

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
A Polyphemus after a rough night

and a Texas Brown Tarantula that wandered over to check me out while I was fixing a tire.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I don't know what this is!

p i t t s b u r g h

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Check Monocesta coryli

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

joat mon posted:

A Polyphemus after a rough night

and a Texas Brown Tarantula that wandered over to check me out while I was fixing a tire.

:lovebird: Great spider shot

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
This find was yesterday’s highlight, a very pretty bumblebee-mimicking robber fly, probably the largest extant Asilid species in Scandinavia (Laphria gibbosus). Larvae depend on dead wood so natura we found it in an area of burned forest.

Formidable if you are a smaller flying insect.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

We got our first caterpillars this year, eastern black swallowtails on our fennel (planted for that purpose). I was worried that we wouldn't get any since my dad's place two doors down hasn't gotten any for years. I suspect the guys spraying for mosquitos have been lying about what they were using--hopefully now that he's discontinued that he'll have more luck next year as well.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Neat! I'm planting some dill next year in the hopes that I'll get some, but I'm at the extreme north of their range, so it's probably fairly unlikely.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Is this the start of phase 2? I've got a couple that have been hanging out like this all day.

Also I'm truly in awe of the amount of poo poo these can produce

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

poverty goat posted:

Is this the start of phase 2? I've got a couple that have been hanging out like this all day.

Yep, that silk tether is what will hold it to the plant during the chrysalis process and provide extra support after

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

There it goes

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:

poverty goat posted:

Also I'm truly in awe of the amount of poo poo these can produce

I didn't get any good pictures of it but I had a small worm come in undetected on a magic lily and disgorge what looked like twice its body weight in pink "frass" overnight

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

poverty goat posted:

There it goes

i'm sure you will, but you'll need to document this journey :)

e- What's a decently price camera, for pictures like this? I only have my old rear end iphone. It'd be basically strictly for stuff for this thread or other random poo poo. I'm not photographer, at all. $100? $200?

Any recommendations?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I take all my photos on a pixel 4a, the best phone I've ever owned

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

blight rhino posted:

i'm sure you will, but you'll need to document this journey :)

e- What's a decently price camera, for pictures like this? I only have my old rear end iphone. It'd be basically strictly for stuff for this thread or other random poo poo. I'm not photographer, at all. $100? $200?

Any recommendations?

There are photography threads linked in the OP, and I'm sure one of them can guide you!

chrmnbill
Feb 17, 2011

This critter disapproves of smoking.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Was waiting for me on my doorstep.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Nice of him to offer you a little pocket change in these trying times.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

he's very prompt with the rent

Shiney McShine
Oct 12, 2010

paperwork
Personal Earpiece
Mantid nymph

Green tree snake

Python hiding in the bird box on the old fig tree

What are you looking at?